Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pattonesque posted:

Do tell -- curious to see how they handle that

Last I read is LRMs are getting their damage lowered, but they don't cluster in 5s anymore. Every single missile checks its hit location individually (which should be quite nice for crits). Also every unit is passively spotting everything it has direct LOS on for indirect fire at all times, so LRMs get a lot of safe harassment utility.

I can't wait to see this mission once everyone gets rolling at speed and the map flies by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, `Mechs and Vehicles are considered different unit types in BT.

I'm not so sure. In This Post, poptarts was telling our industrialmechwarrior that he could sideswipe with his melee weapon via drifting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

I'm not so sure. In This Post, poptarts was telling our industrialmechwarrior that he could sideswipe with his melee weapon via drifting.

Welp

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

I meant "the players in tanks can sideswipe adjacent targets" but I used "you" without thinking.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is T-boning/rear-ending other vehicles an option?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

Is T-boning/rear-ending other vehicles an option?

Ramming is always an option. :black101:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Probably shouldn't be ramming anything in my tank, wouldn't want to risk setting off whatever's in the fuel tank for those lasers.

The Exhumer though... :killdozer:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Last I read is LRMs are getting their damage lowered, but they don't cluster in 5s anymore. Every single missile checks its hit location individually (which should be quite nice for crits). Also every unit is passively spotting everything it has direct LOS on for indirect fire at all times, so LRMs get a lot of safe harassment utility.

I can't wait to see this mission once everyone gets rolling at speed and the map flies by.

Where are you getting this information?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Last I read is LRMs are getting their damage lowered, but they don't cluster in 5s anymore. Every single missile checks its hit location individually (which should be quite nice for crits).

That seems like a recipe for making SRMs lose a lot of their utility. Before LBX is a thing, the SRMs are your go-to crit seeker. If you can do even better critseeking at longer range, it seems like SRMs lose a lot of their niche. Sure LRMs have minimum range, but that's why you protect your Archer/Longbow/etc, and/or give your missile mech secondary weapons. This can also have unexpected effects on certain stock mechs, notably generalists that carry an LRM as their primary long-range punch, like the basic Atlas; it already has issues doing serious damage past 9 hexes, and now the damage is even lower than base.

It's not insurmountable, but there's definitely things that would need to be addressed about such a change.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shoeless posted:

That seems like a recipe for making SRMs lose a lot of their utility. Before LBX is a thing, the SRMs are your go-to crit seeker. If you can do even better critseeking at longer range, it seems like SRMs lose a lot of their niche. Sure LRMs have minimum range, but that's why you protect your Archer/Longbow/etc, and/or give your missile mech secondary weapons. This can also have unexpected effects on certain stock mechs, notably generalists that carry an LRM as their primary long-range punch, like the basic Atlas; it already has issues doing serious damage past 9 hexes, and now the damage is even lower than base.

It's not insurmountable, but there's definitely things that would need to be addressed about such a change.

The good news is, even if it turns out to be crap, they can much more easily patch it to not be crap than they could make a rules addendum in tabletop. So it's worth a shot, I guess.

My gut reaction is basically identical to yours though. Not really sure what the goal is. Still can't wait to play it though

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Zaodai posted:

The good news is, even if it turns out to be crap, they can much more easily patch it to not be crap than they could make a rules addendum in tabletop. So it's worth a shot, I guess.

My gut reaction is basically identical to yours though. Not really sure what the goal is. Still can't wait to play it though

Oh yeah, absolutely. As far as I know, they're still in internal testing anyway, so it might not even make it to the final product. I'm still glad they're experimenting though, like you say, and since they're going with a small stock of units for the game it's even easier to try mechanics changes because you don't then have to update literally thousands of units and TROs like the tabletop would need to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shoeless posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. As far as I know, they're still in internal testing anyway, so it might not even make it to the final product. I'm still glad they're experimenting though, like you say, and since they're going with a small stock of units for the game it's even easier to try mechanics changes because you don't then have to update literally thousands of units and TROs like the tabletop would need to.

Well in the case of a weapon change, you wouldn't even have to modify much on a per mech basis. You just modify your LRM 5/10/15/20, and any mech that has those weapons pulls the updated stats. There's no reason to do the weapons on a per mech basis on a computer, just have them pull from your little data file of weapon behaviors. It should be, in theory, like a 5 minute change (once the initial framework of how weapons work and such is in place).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
At present the system is LRMs rolling to-hit individually but I'm not sure if crits are that way. I believe I read something that suggested otherwise but have no source for it at the moment, so, eh? Here's a big compilation thread that may be of value. Or just ask in the Games BT thread.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/3762/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are there rules for turning into a dinosaur because you started to Overdrift?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Are there rules for turning into a dinosaur because you started to Overdrift?

A Salamander, but it only happens if you're in a Rotunda with a supercharger.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Was that a reference to Threshold?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bloody Pom posted:

Was that a reference to Threshold?

His was, mine wasn't.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

A Salamander, but it only happens if you're in a Rotunda with a supercharger.

I mean I'm sure the players wouldn't say no to a heavy LRM boat.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

I mean I'm sure the players wouldn't say no to a quality Defiance Industries product.

I can tell you, we don't sell high-tech gear like that to a hole like this, sir

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I can tell you, we don't sell high-tech gear like that to a hole like this, sir

Given their inability to fabricate most advanced components and energy weapons in a lot of cases, I'd think the Periphery is exactly where you'd try to sell your advanced units. Places where the "wow" factor of tech level 2 combines with "wait, someone's willing to sell us a BATTLEMECH? A real Battlemech?!" to let you really rake in the cash. Just imagine what the neighboring shithole planets will say when they find out YOU have a battlemech, and not just some old Cicada but something like a new tech Griffin. The periphery is the place with the least supply of mechs, much less lostech equipped mechs, and looking at how everyone's rushing at the mere mention of a mech for salvage, it's clear there's a demand for Battlemechs. Why not be the first mech production line to tap into that?

And when they inevitably need replacement parts, they're less likely to have a local ability to fabricate them, meaning they'll be buying replacement parts from you as well.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Given their inability to fabricate most advanced components and energy weapons in a lot of cases, I'd think the Periphery is exactly where you'd try to sell your advanced units. Places where the "wow" factor of tech level 2 combines with "wait, someone's willing to sell us a BATTLEMECH? A real Battlemech?!" to let you really rake in the cash. Just imagine what the neighboring shithole planets will say when they find out YOU have a battlemech, and not just some old Cicada but something like a new tech Griffin. The periphery is the place with the least supply of mechs, much less lostech equipped mechs, and looking at how everyone's rushing at the mere mention of a mech for salvage, it's clear there's a demand for Battlemechs. Why not be the first mech production line to tap into that?

And when they inevitably need replacement parts, they're less likely to have a local ability to fabricate them, meaning they'll be buying replacement parts from you as well.

I think the problem is that the Periphery also has No Money. Which makes the 'selling' thing hard.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

People in slums would pay a lot of money for food and decent housing. Sadly, being willing isn't enough to cover the check.

Even if they could scrape together enough to buy 1 T2 mech, you're just going to have people gang up to come take it from you anyway. It's like back when Air Jordans first came out. You could drop $200 on some shoes, but they didn't do much good if someone stabbed you and took them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also the Periphery is where you offload your lemons and lovely export-quality designs. Machines that are actually good and made with modern gear are generally speaking not for export except where otherwise noted. Why sell top-shelf material to another state instead of the one that provides you with large concessions including noble titles for most of your board of directors?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

As long as we walk without rhythm we will be fine.

This didn't get any attention last page but it should have. :allears:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Zaodai posted:

People in slums would pay a lot of money for food and decent housing. Sadly, being willing isn't enough to cover the check.

Even if they could scrape together enough to buy 1 T2 mech, you're just going to have people gang up to come take it from you anyway. It's like back when Air Jordans first came out. You could drop $200 on some shoes, but they didn't do much good if someone stabbed you and took them.

It seems like it would very from world to world. You've got absolute shitholes like this one, and then you've got places that are... er.... well surely some of them must have something resembling a decent defense budget!

Okay, okay. Maybe selling top-shelf merchandise won't work. That's fine. So what we do is, right, we start making primitive mechs. Less cost to produce so you can sell them for less, enough that Periphery planets can afford them. And they're so poo poo, you pray that Comstar doesn't consider the starting up of new factories to be a threat worth sabotaging.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shoeless posted:

It seems like it would very from world to world. You've got absolute shitholes like this one, and then you've got places that are... er.... well surely some of them must have something resembling a decent defense budget!

Okay, okay. Maybe selling top-shelf merchandise won't work. That's fine. So what we do is, right, we start making primitive mechs. Less cost to produce so you can sell them for less, enough that Periphery planets can afford them. And they're so poo poo, you pray that Comstar doesn't consider the starting up of new factories to be a threat worth sabotaging.

Comstar would have no problem with you selling worse mechs than the competition whatsoever. In fact they'd probably back you until you were big enough to compete properly , getting enough shares in your work that eventually they will be all people are buying. And then they take over with their pristine mechs.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 29, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Most people don't realize that ComStar isn't a benevolent (or, at least, not-actively malevolent) agency.

Then again, most people in the Inner Sphere never really need to make a space-phonecall unless they're rich enough to leave their home planet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, there's a line in the Warrior books where the Davion guys are like "This is bullshit, why's ComStar loving with us? Are they doing some kind of conscientious objection or something?", showing that even as late as the Fourth War no one (Wolf's Dragoon excepted, maybe) realized what a Machiavellian bunch of assholes are reading everyone's mail.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Comstar would have no problem with you selling worse mechs than the competition whatsoever. In fact they'd probably back you until you were big enough to compete properly , getting enough shares in your work that eventually they will be all people are buying. And then they take over with their pristine mechs.

Awesome, we'll get production started on those primitive Hectors right away, and maybe the Toro. If the Taurians get mad at us, well what're they gonna do about it? Nuke us? :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So. We're starting to get into a lot of 'endgame' scenarios in the AU, there're a lot of plans are coming together very quickly and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to show all of them in a battle or campaign. There're still a lot more stories I can (and want to) tell, but at the same time one of the biggest mistakes I can make is not knowing when to let a good thing end.

I've been laying some groundwork for a second Alternate Universe, the details of which I'm not really ready to share. Before I get myself emotionally invested into the idea of a reboot, I thought I'd bounce the idea off the thread.

Please take this Strawpoll and give me your honest opinion

I'm not going to be upset if there's no interest, it just means any work I do put into it will be for fun. I'm just in the mood for another, even bigger shake-up that'll give me more opportunities to write good Alpha Strike scenarios / etc.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 29, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Your next project could be a Farmville AU and I would still be interested.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have just been really infatuated lately with the idea of an Inner Sphere without ComStar. Possibly going hand-in-hand with an Inner Sphere where the Star League was never formed to begin with.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have just been really infatuated lately with the idea of an Inner Sphere without ComStar. Possibly going hand-in-hand with an Inner Sphere where the Star League was never formed to begin with.

The first idea sounds a bit like the fanmade Terran Supremacy AU, which had Kerensky be assassinated before he conceived of Operation Exodus. A whole bunch of stuff happens differently - there are no Clans, ComStar doesn't exist, and DeChavilier forms the remains of the Terran Hegemony into the Terran Supremacy and wages a vengeful war on the Great Houses, most of which collapse or are amalgamated into one another. It's pretty crazy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My idea's a little different.

The reason the Terran Hegemony stopped where it did was because that was about the limit of the territory Terra could administer directly without bankrupting itself and falling apart, not because they didn't feel like conquering everything else. They still wanted to be in charge--that's what the Star League was all about.

It's still to early to discuss what I'm actually planning, though. Mostly because very little of it is finalized.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This would interest me a fair bit. What sort of stuff do you have sketched for how that would change things? I'm curious what brought this idea on.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Your next project could be a Farmville AU and I would still be interested.

Agromechs.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, I would be all for an AU with no Comstar. Things would be wildly different without them.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

Man, I would be all for an AU with no Comstar. Things would be wildly different without them.

Yeah, without them at Tukayyid things would go horribly for the Inner Sphere!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

AUs are cool and good and I can't understand why anybody would be mad about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm down for just about anything you write, at least to give it a chance. I do really like this AU though, so I hope we get a nice wrap up for everything, even if the best method for it is that you periodically make fluff posts to cover what is going on.

My only worry about the new, ComStar-less AU is that things will change so much that I won't know who the cartoon supervillains are to cheer them on. Also, the lack of Ghost Bears. :saddowns:

[EDIT]Assuming everything changes way back pre-Heresy Kerensky Rage Quit.

• Locked thread