Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

A neat peek into how the layered transparencies were handled to allow the player to go behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Edit:
Unrelated, but here's what happens if I try playing RE1 on PC:

Transparency appears to have hosed itself into not behaving as intended!

Are you using a wrapper of some kind, like DGVoodoo? If not, try one, that might help.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Len posted:

If you didn't buy REmake from the humble bundle last month it's free for PS+ next month

I was just about to buy this on PS4 after burning out on 4, 5 and 6 so this is pretty rad

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

catlord posted:

Are you using a wrapper of some kind, like DGVoodoo? If not, try one, that might help.
Tried all sorts, but outside of using a VM nothing fixes the issue.

Anyway, started a fresh run of RE4 on Professional, and Del Lago has to be the biggest load of RNG poo poo in the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there are any random elements with the bosses

I remember watching a Japanese guy streaming RE4 trying to do a Professional 100% accuracy/no healing/no upgrades/no saving/no merchant run and that boat fight seemed to play out exactly the same everytime

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

In that case I just have the absolute worst loving luck with avoiding his turnarounds then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speaking of RNG, I'm playing Nemesis now (just before the town hall currently). And the man himself really doesn't gently caress around, does he? Maybe unwisely, I'm doing Hard right away and trying to kill him every time. Boy, that first encounter, huh? The brand new dodge move is nice but is also total random bullshit whenever you aren't smack dab in the middle of the room when you use it. I eventually settled into a pattern of dodge, run around, shoot, repeat, but ugh, way too many tries and I still ended that fight depleted of literally all of my resources. At least they had the small mercy of placing the save point extremely close by.

In general though the game feels pretty tight, in both controls which finally don't feel restricting at all, and difficulty, especially after the abundance of resources that is RE2. I've actually had to stumble around in caution because there wasn't any healing to be found, and I've even run out of ammo on some of my guns! Of course, that's mostly because Nemesis is a big huge "insert ammo here"-hole, so I guess it's good that I'm aiming to kill him because the ammo count seems just right to me currently. I hope the game's also balanced a bit better than 2, which just got easier and easier towards the end. Especially Leon and his super shotgun.

VV Yeah, I heard about that, which is why I'm very specifically killing him every time. As I say in the fourth sentence of the post.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 30, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Though Nemmy does chase you from room to room, you can still (eventually) escape him for a while if you put enough distance between him and you.

One feature he has that isn't in Easy Mode is every time you kill him he drops either a rare item or one half of a special weapon; I think the first is a special handgun that fires faster. Your reward for going Hard Mode.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So just after finding Ashley I'm lugging all this crap around and clearly playing too conservatively even by Professional standards:

(Note: Grenades are a total waste of space most of the time.)

And then by the time I get to Salazar's castle (just after laughing at the Spanish drunk-driver behind the wheel of the truck), I'm left with this piddling amount because of Bitores "Damage Sponge" Mendez and his incredible ability to not loving die even after a sound beating:

Admittedly I've barely upgraded my weapons outside of increased capacity (because I'm not keeping any of these throughout) but holy loving poo poo he sure took his time accepting defeat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

In that case I just have the absolute worst loving luck with avoiding his turnarounds then.

He's really easy, you just turn away from Del Lago and you don't get hit. I didn't get hit once by Del Lago, it was really underwhelming for what I remembered to be a more layered multi-stage fight (haha no, it's actually just a really fun gimmicky fight)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

(Note: Grenades are a total waste of space most of the time.)

I will fight you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Do I want to be saving up my gunpowder for magnum rounds in RE3? Considering how the ammo situation is going currently, i.e. I'm always almost about to run out just before I find more, it doesn't seem like a very wise choice. And the Magnum (which I unloaded into Nemesis, naturally) really didn't seem all that strong. It's fast, of course, but gently caress, I gotta put like a million hand- and shotgun rounds in just to get some piddly amount of magnums back? I think I'll stick with my grenade rounds for power, thanks very much. Maybe once I get the inevitable upgraded magnum it'll start to make sense?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I rarely make Magnum Rounds. Quite frankly I find them a wasteful use of gunpowders and would much rather use that to make Freeze Rounds for dealing with Nemesis, alongside the mook-splattering collection of Enhanced Ammo for the Handgun and Shotgun. If anything, the Magnum itself resumes doing what it did best in the first RE; mercilessly exterminating Hunters. You really don't need much ammo for it to do that.

Amppelix posted:

inevitable upgraded magnum
Uh, yeah, about that...

Lunethex posted:

I will fight you.
They are though! You only need a few on you to deal with the occasional crowd here and there, not half a case worth like I was carrying!

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 2, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Amppelix posted:

Do I want to be saving up my gunpowder for magnum rounds in RE3? Considering how the ammo situation is going currently, i.e. I'm always almost about to run out just before I find more, it doesn't seem like a very wise choice. And the Magnum (which I unloaded into Nemesis, naturally) really didn't seem all that strong. It's fast, of course, but gently caress, I gotta put like a million hand- and shotgun rounds in just to get some piddly amount of magnums back? I think I'll stick with my grenade rounds for power, thanks very much. Maybe once I get the inevitable upgraded magnum it'll start to make sense?

The Magnum in RE3 is a red herring, as far as I'm concerned. Its primary benefit is that Nemesis can't juke the shot the way he can with freeze rounds, but in general, RE3 is the grenade launcher's show.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lunethex posted:

I will fight you.

He's right. If you are carrying so many grenades that it's hogging half your case, then you aren't using them enough. I used to have the tendency to hoard them

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Wanderer posted:

The Magnum in RE3 is a red herring, as far as I'm concerned. Its primary benefit is that Nemesis can't juke the shot the way he can with freeze rounds, but in general, RE3 is the grenade launcher's show.

When I played it was the shotgun's show since Jill can make like a million rounds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In my first playthrough I hoard granades and ended up never using them and selling them to make space, last time I just used them anytime I had to deal with a bunch of enemies at once and realised how useful they are. Biggest problem is having to go into your inventory to select them and then again to go back to your weapon every time, I wish the HD version had added a quick weapon switch.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

blackguy32 posted:

He's right. If you are carrying so many grenades that it's hogging half your case, then you aren't using them enough. I used to have the tendency to hoard them

Fire grenades are crap in RE4, but hand grenades are excellent, especially as panic buttons. The usefulness of Flash grenades can't be understated either. "Oh poo poo I spawned all these god drat plagas. Oh poo poo look at all these Armaduras/Knight Parasites. Oh poo poo that's a lot of spiders. Oh poo poo this guy isn't getting stunned by headshots yet."

Having at least 4 of both always should be the goal.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lunethex posted:

Fire grenades are crap in RE4, but hand grenades are excellent, especially as panic buttons. The usefulness of Flash grenades can't be understated either. "Oh poo poo I spawned all these god drat plagas. Oh poo poo look at all these Armaduras/Knight Parasites. Oh poo poo that's a lot of spiders. Oh poo poo this guy isn't getting stunned by headshots yet."

Having at least 4 of both always should be the goal.

Fire grenades are fantastic for killing the Village Elder guy, you can kill him with 5 or 6 on professional difficulty. Toss a couple and his spine will break and he'll start swinging, wait until he's on a low rung and chuck a grenade underneath him and he burns real good. If he's up high you can flashbang him and he'll hit the floor and you can burn him again. Easy peasy.

After that fight I don't bother with fire grenades, but you're right that the others are useful throughout the game. I prefer flashbangs because they have a larger effective range - they'll kill parasites that are quite far away from each other and everything else will be helpless for a while.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The lack of organisation is killing me.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Szmitten posted:

:agreed:

We all know that part of playing RE4 is being OCD as gently caress about you attaché case.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Szmitten posted:

Spiffster posted:

:agreed:

We all know that part of playing RE4 is being OCD as gently caress about you attaché case.
Once I get the XL case and my final choice in weapons, things do get a bit more organised. Until then, the arrangement is like a crap piece of modern art (which is largely crap in and of itself anyway).

Just finished the 'Water Room' and holy loving poo poo I'm glad I don't have to babysit that idiot Ashley for a while. Cowering in fear when some slow-moving mook gets within 10ft instead of just continuing to run along with me to increase the loving distance. Christ almighty. She's literally caused the overall deathrate to double in that one section alone with this sort of moronic behaviour.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 2, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Flash and fire nades are great in RE4. The flash especially. Iirc, it nukes any bugman Novistador caught in its radius.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 3, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bogart posted:

Flash and fire nades are great in RE4. The flash especially. Iirc, it nukes any bugman caught in its radius.

It's an instant kill for any plagas, yeah, so it's a nice to have when you're getting swarmed by villagers that have parasites pop out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think I've heard enough of "S.T.A.R.S. UGHRHRGH" for a lifetime by now, and this game probably isn't even halfway yet. Well, judging by the amount of maps left.

Did they have to consistently put Nemesis in the tightest corridors in the game? It's hard enough when you have enough room to actually execute any maneuvres you want, not to mention the dodge will automatically fail if Jill decides it's a good idea to try dodging towards a wall.. He won't even follow me out to the room right next door where I'd actually like to fight, because apparently the devs were feeling very spiteful. I'm talking about the encounter at city hall, in case anyone's curious.

E: I managed to beat it literally just because he got stuck on some scenery. I really, really hope that's the hardest one (or just the last one in a narrow corridor) because gently caress doing that again.

E2: lol thanks for hearing me out re3 and putting the next nemesis literally five minutes later and in a narrow corridor

E#: Wait, false alarm, it looks like you can't even kill that one on the cable car. Can you? Did I just miss something?

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 3, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just cleared Salazar's Dog Maze in RE4, what an absolute load of toss that section is; just edging round hedges to avoid the fate of suddenly being tickled to death by spaghetti hounds. Possibly less fun than it ought to have been due to my loving around for almost 20 minutes trying to kill that dickhead redrobe (before he could even get to the second door on his little excursion to that inexplicably present gatling cannon*), just to prove a point to myself that blitzing him on a fresh run is possible.

*Yes I know you can just jump down off the ledge and run up the stairs to intercept him instead but goddamnit that's too easy and Professional is supposed to be a challenge.

Amppelix posted:

I think I've heard enough of "S.T.A.R.S. UGHRHRGH" for a lifetime by now, and this game probably isn't even halfway yet. Well, judging by the amount of maps left.

Did they have to consistently put Nemesis in the tightest corridors in the game? It's hard enough when you have enough room to actually execute any maneuvres you want, not to mention the dodge will automatically fail if Jill decides it's a good idea to try dodging towards a wall.. He won't even follow me out to the room right next door where I'd actually like to fight, because apparently the devs were feeling very spiteful. I'm talking about the encounter at city hall, in case anyone's curious.

E: I managed to beat it literally just because he got stuck on some scenery. I really, really hope that's the hardest one (or just the last one in a narrow corridor) because gently caress doing that again.

E2: lol thanks for hearing me out re3 and putting the next nemesis literally five minutes later and in a narrow corridor

E#: Wait, false alarm, it looks like you can't even kill that one on the cable car. Can you? Did I just miss something?
The encounter at the Y-Junction? Just lead him to the statue and his pathfinding breaks down reliably enough. Never liked that encounter myself though, even by RE3 standards it's a stupidly enclosed space which can really gently caress a run up.

And no, you can't kill him on the cable car. The action gets interrupted and Mikhail takes over. Congratulations! You're now halfway through the game!

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I did get past that poo poo, but according to RE3 I save too much (apparently once before and after every nemesis, and some extras here and there, is too much) so I'm now out of ribbons and there's none to be seen at the clock tower. Of course, there's a nemesis there and I'm stubbornly refusing to explore past it before I kill it because I'm a stupid idiot who likes to make games unfun for himself. So now I'm making this drat run from downtown every time I die to it. Why am I doing this to myself :geno:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sorry about your brain, dude

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, interesting. On the fourth reload, dynamic difficulty graced me with an ink ribbon, but it took away the grenade rounds that had been in that room. I wonder if it's as simple as there being only one reward in that room and the ink took the slot, or if the game's explicitly rewarding players who do well with extra ammo.

I'm always interested in how variable difficulties are implemented since they're usually the least well-documented part of any game due to the developers wanting to hide the effects so as to not make the game feel too easy. Did RE1 or 2 have this sort of stuff yet? I feel like 2 at least occasionally spawned extra herbs for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say you are saving a bit too much. It's not unrealistic to finish RE3 in a single sitting.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
All this RE4 talk got me wanting to continue my playthrough on the PC version. Too bad it hates my controller (thinks my stick is a d-pad for some reason?) and doesn't seem to want to play the sound properly (is like five to ten seconds behind the dialogue).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Amppelix posted:

I'm always interested in how variable difficulties are implemented since they're usually the least well-documented part of any game due to the developers wanting to hide the effects so as to not make the game feel too easy. Did RE1 or 2 have this sort of stuff yet? I feel like 2 at least occasionally spawned extra herbs for me.
Nope, every item and enemy placement in the first two games is completely pre-set for each scenario and difficulty. Extreme Battle in RE2 mixes things up a bit, but that's just minigame nonsense.

Momomo posted:

All this RE4 talk got me wanting to continue my playthrough on the PC version. Too bad it hates my controller (thinks my stick is a d-pad for some reason?) and doesn't seem to want to play the sound properly (is like five to ten seconds behind the dialogue).
Oddly enough it gave me trouble when I tried using a controller; at random intervals it would switch stick axes for movement (so that left/right would be up/down) and occasionally even go so far as to swap some functions of the loving L/R sticks completely. Rather than put up with this poo poo or spend valuable playing time looking for a fix, I just went full KB/M control and got used to it after a short while -- thankfully RE4 has a fairly limited set of controls so getting lost on the keyboard isn't likely.

As for the audio sync, can only suggest fiddling with the framerate option in the game's video menu.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Would RE5 be worth it on PC? I never beat it on PS3, and still shuudet at the AI partner.

Actually I wouldn't mind 0, REmake and 4 but I feel weird having to respend 20 bucks each just to rebuy something in HD.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
RE5 on Steam is pretty slick now that it comes with all the DLC content and uses Steamworks instead of GFWL. Would still recommend having a co-op buddy, but it's bearable to solo.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

LEGO Genetics posted:

Would RE5 be worth it on PC? I never beat it on PS3, and still shuudet at the AI partner.

Actually I wouldn't mind 0, REmake and 4 but I feel weird having to respend 20 bucks each just to rebuy something in HD.

I'm going to say yes to RE5, but that's because I've only ever played it co-op on PC :v:

Oh, and before I forget, I love abusing obvious trigger lines:
http://i.imgur.com/tqmzhlX.gifv

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Huh, interesting. On the fourth reload, dynamic difficulty graced me with an ink ribbon, but it took away the grenade rounds that had been in that room. I wonder if it's as simple as there being only one reward in that room and the ink took the slot, or if the game's explicitly rewarding players who do well with extra ammo.

Each area in RE3 has a bunch of different, predeterment enemy and item sets that are chosen at random. You can reload the last save, do the exact same things up until that room and end up with something different. It's not really dynamic, it's random. RE3 and earlier games can't even track how often you die, because there's no actual Continue prompt or auto-save in the background. You get thrown back into the main menu and when you reload your game, everything that happened between you saving and then dying is forgotten, unlike RE4 and later games. That's how it works.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 3, 2016

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Always in be making shotgun ammo in RE3, since the enhanced SG ammo is really good, especially on Nemesis. There is only one time where you have to fight Nemesis straight up, in the Clock Tower courtyard. The last couple times are gimmicks, though melting him in the factory disposal room (which is the fun way to do that fight imo) is harder than it should be due to auto aim.

vvvvvv I can absolutely say that there are no true random items in RE3. If an item isn't in one place you've seen it, it is somewhere else. Take the RPD for example: There are shotgun shells in the Marvin room sometimes. If they are not there, they'll be behind the meeting room next to the fireplace. Some herbs might be in the hallway outside that meeting room. Else they'll be in the hallway outside the STARS room.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I must've just gotten lucky then. Multiple times after wandering around on low resources and dying to stuff I've got health spawns just before problem rooms. I guess that just means the system works (?)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

vvvvvv I can absolutely say that there are no true random items in RE3. If an item isn't in one place you've seen it, it is somewhere else. Take the RPD for example: There are shotgun shells in the Marvin room sometimes. If they are not there, they'll be behind the meeting room next to the fireplace. Some herbs might be in the hallway outside that meeting room. Else they'll be in the hallway outside the STARS room.

yep. for instance in RCPD STARS office has either the Mag or grenade Launcher. Whatever you don't find you find later in power station. if you find 3 Gunpowders in the gas station lobby you wont find them in the Pharmacy storage room. the game keeps its balance just jumbles it up depending on the playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It also does that with enemies in certain rooms. Like there's a hallway in the RPD that either has a couple dogs lurking around or a bunch of zombos crammed into a narrow corridor. It helps keep things interesting your first few times through the game.