Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I know three different people studying for the LSAT and nothing I say to them penetrates.

Buy them an account here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

evilweasel posted:

my secretary notarizes things

i did discover the other day that being a lawyer makes me automatically licenced to be a real estate broker, for some reason

Wait, really? Can you link to a source?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MoFauxHawk posted:

Wait, really? Can you link to a source?

same in Texas:

Texas Occupations Code Section 1101 basically says, "the restrictions on listing, selling, and taking a commission on a real estate sale do not apply to licensed Texas attorneys."

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

blarzgh posted:

same in Texas:

Texas Occupations Code Section 1101 basically says, "the restrictions on listing, selling, and taking a commission on a real estate sale do not apply to licensed Texas attorneys."

Dang, DC does not seem to have that exemption, at least not except in specific situations like trusts and estates. Lawyers here definitely can't try their hand at real estate without a license as far as I can tell.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
4 CMC § 2173(c) is my new favorite statute.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
God forbid someone give a meaningless tour without the proper training and certification.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey everyone,

I'm a 1L whose made it just past midterms

How to fight off the crippling desire to drink myself to death

Serious question:

Is it bad that after all this time, staying caught up with the readings and assignments, I still feel like I don't know a loving thing?

After reading the OP: I go to a T3. I now feel nothing but despair. Should I just let the Property and Civpro take me into the abyss

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 29, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Hey everyone,

Serious question:

Is it bad that after all this time, staying caught up with the readings and assignments, I still feel like I don't know a loving thing?

After reading the OP: I go to a T3. I now feel nothing but despair. Should I just let the Property and Civpro take me into the abyss

who's*

Study your rear end off, ace your finals, and read up on the transfer process. If you aren't in the top half of your class after 1L you should probably just drop out.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Phi230 posted:

Hey everyone,

Serious question:

Get out now. Put '30 Days of Law School' on your resume.

Northern Mariana Islands posted:

must possess minimum proficient in the English
This has to be on purpose. It is on a cursory reading even the only mistake.

Nichol fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 29, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

His tuition is probably nonrefundable at this point.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Vox Nihili posted:

His tuition is probably nonrefundable at this point.

This does not change the advice. Maybe attend school on Fridays until the end of November to save :10bux: per week on beer.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phi230 posted:

Hey everyone,

Serious question:

I skimmed the OP: it's full of 2008-2010 era charts that predate the worst of the lawyer glut and miss out on the part where things have gotten significantly worse since then

it's really time for a new thread, hopefully one with shiny new 2016 era charts with double the debt load and schaudenfreude

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nichol posted:

This does not change the advice. Maybe attend school on Fridays until the end of November to save :10bux: per week on beer.

Yes, unless you prepaid 3 years of tuition, drop the gently caress out now.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
thanks everyone, yes I guess I should just drink myself to death. I should've mentioned that failure or dropping out is not an option, due to social pressures beyond my control.

I think I'm actually without irony developing a drinking problem now.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phi230 posted:

thanks everyone, yes I guess I should just drink myself to death. I should've mentioned that failure or dropping out is not an option, due to social pressures beyond my control.

don't worry, once you're a lawyer the social pressure will stop and you'll never experience it ever again

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phi230 posted:

hell yeah. start drinking at noon then convince yourself that if you're up early it's no big deal to drink at like 930

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Adar posted:

don't worry, once you're a lawyer the social pressure will stop and you'll never experience it ever again

hey at least i can use my fin aid refund to buy fancier whiskey with which to slowly destroy my body with

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

hell yeah. start drinking at noon then convince yourself that if you're up early it's no big deal to drink at like 930

yeah, the big indicator for me was that I had a drink at around 6:45 AM earlier this week

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
but hey gotta reward myself after some progress right,

I learned how to IRAC more efficiently, so I mixed myself a whiskey sour. Gonna make a new one after I finish this rules paragraph for a memo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phi230 posted:

yeah, the big indicator for me was that I had a drink at around 6:45 AM earlier this week

I'm only impressed if it wasn't mixed into your coffee

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

I'm only impressed if it wasn't mixed into your coffee

Straight shot, tbh. I was really nervous for my Torts midterm so I soothed my nerves.

You know I always wanted to study law, so all things considered, if my body can handle this abuse I'll be happy for like the next 30 years.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 13, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Straight shot, tbh. I was really nervous for my Torts midterm so I soothed my nerves.

You know I always wanted to study law, so all things considered, if my body can handle this abuse I'll be happy for like the next 30 years.

In all seriousness: if you're taking a shot because of a midterm, you're going to wind up destroying yourself as an alcoholic if you ever practice.

Drop out, or if you don't, you need to seek substance abuse therapy NOW. It isn't going to improve.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kalman posted:

In all seriousness: if you're taking a shot because of a midterm, you're going to wind up destroying yourself as an alcoholic if you ever practice.

Drop out, or if you don't, you need to seek substance abuse therapy NOW. It isn't going to improve.

This is a serious post you should follow.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Is that unusual?

https://www.municode.com/library/la/new_orleans/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICO_CH30BU_ARTXXITOGUTOPL_DIV3TOGULI&searchText=

In Louisiana you need a license to put loving flowers in a jar.

http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/SummarywithHorticultureLawRegulations.pdf

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Phi230 posted:

Jesus even I wait until I get to the office at 7:00

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
gently caress social pressure its your loving life man.

Nichol posted:

Get out now. Put '30 Days of Law School' on your resume.

This has to be on purpose. It is on a cursory reading even the only mistake.

I would wager that "minimum proficient" is actually some sort of testing threshold level.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, you're gonna have to explain this a bit more. All social pressure is "beyond [your] control" so what makes your situation particularly unique? Your parents being disappointed hardly counts. Is your dad a bigshot lawyer somewhere? One of my friends went to law school, couldn't find a job, failed the bar, and is now essentially toast. His dad is also a partner at a firm--how do you think his dad feels now?

Also, failure is definitely an option, whether or not you want it to be. In fact if you're already drinking in the morning I'd say failure is almost guaranteed.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, you're gonna have to explain this a bit more. All social pressure is "beyond [your] control" so what makes your situation particularly unique? Your parents being disappointed hardly counts. Is your dad a bigshot lawyer somewhere? One of my friends went to law school, couldn't find a job, failed the bar, and is now essentially toast. His dad is also a partner at a firm--how do you think his dad feels now?

Also, failure is definitely an option, whether or not you want it to be. In fact if you're already drinking in the morning I'd say failure is almost guaranteed.

nah man its like a lot worse than that

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

What Phi230 isn't telling us is that his enrollment in law school is one of these elaborate traps from the Saw movies, and if he flunks or leaves early Jigsaw will kill him and his whole family.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Dagda posted:

What Phi230 isn't telling us is that his enrollment in law school is one of these elaborate traps from the Saw movies, and if he flunks or leaves early Jigsaw will kill him and his whole family.

this, but unironically

help us

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You're so loving stupid you don't even know it. You are drinking before tests to calm your nerves. This is the worst loving profession and anyone who reads any part of this thread and continued to be in law school deserves to be a miserable alcoholic poo poo.

The only successful person in this thread is Adar, who parlayed poker and wizard poker into not being a lawyer.

gently caress.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Law schools have mid terms?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I had a terminally ill cancer patient sobbing in my office today about how her husband is cheating on her and how she'll be alone in the last months of her life. I rep her husband.

And I didn't drink today, pussy.

I may have gotten misty after she left.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Lol at scrapps again. gently caress man.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

nah man its like a lot worse than that

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, you're gonna have to explain this a bit more.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
More meat for the doc review work camps. We'll be seeing you soon, friend. Provided you can graduate and pass the bar, and the doc review robots aren't perfected by then.

But hey, at least you'll be able to tell people you're a lawyer, am I rite?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
oh look Iook someone to replace toona as the person exhibiting like 20 huge red flashing warning signs for failure and flame out but who also has an absolute inability to recognize them or advice based on them, and who thinks its fun to treat earnest and good advice about his hosed up life as a quaint joke and fun way to gather attention

welcome friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

I had a terminally ill cancer patient sobbing in my office today about how her husband is cheating on her and how she'll be alone in the last months of her life. I rep her husband.

And I didn't drink today, pussy.

I may have gotten misty after she left.

I can kick people to the curb but there's no way I could handle family law God drat