Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A few years ago at the Phoenix Comicon, Leonard Nimoy made a a few appearances over the weekend and was charging 70 bucks for an autograph and 70 bucks for a photo. His line was out the door. He probably made a small fortune over a period of 48 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Jet Li's first American movie so he did some cool moves to make a splash.

There are cool parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogXmkQBJFuM

That comes after a nice chase scene, where the other guy was showboating left and right, then Jet Li out of nowhere.

But mostly its an excuse to get the cast together and soak in the goodwill generated by the three previous movies. I recommend it.

EDIT: Also what Jet Li does to Gibson's gun is cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Head's up for cord cutters, the CW app finally updated with Chromecast support and promise of next day episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gonz posted:

A few years ago at the Phoenix Comicon, Leonard Nimoy made a a few appearances over the weekend and was charging 70 bucks for an autograph and 70 bucks for a photo. His line was out the door. He probably made a small fortune over a period of 48 hours.

I paid $75 this summer for my best friend (a huge, lifelong Star Trek fan) to get a photo with William Shatner at a con, as a birthday present. I got in it too, since there wasn't an upcharge for a second person. He barely acknowledged us and wouldn't shake hands with anyone -- not that I can blame him, given his age and all the germs -- but there was a line out the door for him too.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DrVenkman posted:

This is a pretty good piece on what people are earning for autograph signings. Norman Reedus basically earns a fortune in a weekend for showing up and taking pictures (Though it's worth noting that supposedly, Reedus is always super nice to fans):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stars-getting-rich-fan-conventions-933062

It's pretty interesting that something that was often considered a joke (Huh you've fallen on such hard times you're doing the autograph circuit) is now such a lucrative business.

I'm pretty sure the early Trek converntions where always big money for the time for the main cast.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

There was some documentary about washed up sci-fi actors and this.

That redneck guy from The Walking Dead charges like a gazzillion bucks for stuff because for some reason he's the most popular.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrVenkman posted:

This is a pretty good piece on what people are earning for autograph signings. Norman Reedus basically earns a fortune in a weekend for showing up and taking pictures (Though it's worth noting that supposedly, Reedus is always super nice to fans):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stars-getting-rich-fan-conventions-933062

It's pretty interesting that something that was often considered a joke (Huh you've fallen on such hard times you're doing the autograph circuit) is now such a lucrative business.

At this point if you're a C level star (and let's face it, everyone on the CW or Walking Dead will never be A list) you need to capitalize on it while you can. Tom Welling lamented about a year ago that if he hadn't been so against it he'd have made a ton more cash during his heyday on Smallville. Stephen Amell is a genius though. He saw how much money there was to be made and he started his own agency that now does most of the booking for the Wizard cons. Dude's making more money off conventions than he is acting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm fine with people taking advantage of dumb nerds. I wouldn't pay to take a picture with literally anyone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm fine with people taking advantage of dumb nerds. I wouldn't pay to take a picture with literally anyone.

Yeah, and from what I've heard it's very disappointing for people expecting more than what amounts to an assembly line. Congratulations you have a picture to remember that time you didn't in any meaningful way meet that person.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

IRQ posted:

Yeah, and from what I've heard it's very disappointing for people expecting more than what amounts to an assembly line. Congratulations you have a picture to remember that time you didn't in any meaningful way meet that person.

Supposedly dudes like Norman Reedus spends time loving around with fans and chatting with them too, which you can usually tell from the pictures. But then you see the ones where the actor is just sitting on a chair while a fan stands near them and it's like...how can any fan think yeah this was totally worth doing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Norman Reedus probably chats with the fan for all of 20 seconds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sbaldrick posted:

I'm pretty sure the early Trek converntions where always big money for the time for the main cast.

It was how most of them kept afloat, financially. Conventions were the primary source of income for James Doohan and DeForest Kelley, and to a lesser extent Koenig and Takei. Shatner finally hit the convention circuit in the later '70s when he became flat broke and needed cash because of his alimony payments.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

IRQ posted:

Honestly unless you even get like a 2 minute conversation out of it like whatever. I mean they're just as likely to forget about you after the interaction is over but it sure beats having nothing but a 70 dollar photograph.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mu Zeta posted:

Norman Reedus probably chats with the fan for all of 20 seconds.

And for that fan it's arguably better than handing over money to Patrick Stewart's assistant while he sits on a chair and doesn't say anything.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If you are handing over $100 for someone's photo and signature I think you have other things that need to be addressed than whether or not the actor talked to you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never bothered with getting photos done, but I've had stuff signed by people at conventions and it's always been fun. Depending on the popularity you can sometimes get to have a conversation (and Robert Englund is more than happy to keep his line moving at a snails pace so everyone gets to have a little chat). I think the conventions in the UK are generally a bit cheaper though, and I think it was generally max $30 a pop with the exception of Hasselhoff who was about $50 I think.

Everyone I've ever dealt with has always been lovely and not once made it feel like a chore for them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The article linked had Mark Hamill's going for $200.
Bit ridiculous, imo.

Reedus's was $100.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

And for that fan it's arguably better than handing over money to Patrick Stewart's assistant while he sits on a chair and doesn't say anything.
You try dealing with Trekkies for 30 years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

You try dealing with Trekkies for 30 years.

"Why won't you answer my question about the size of your toilet on the Enterprise? This is critical canonical information I need to finish my replicated Enterprise interior design efforts!"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

A few years ago at DragonCon, I wanted to go and meet LeVar Burton and shake his hand because Reading Rainbow is one of the things that started a life-long love of reading books for me. The line to meet him was completely nuts and it was 50 bucks to boot.

I still would like to meet him and tell him my spiel but I'm not gonna spend 50 dollars doing that. :smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I met Nathan Fillion backstage at E3 in '06. Very nice man. He thanked me for not taking a picture, cracked a few jokes and shook my hand.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm sure it's completely apocryphal but once I heard a story that a fan paid for Adam West's autograph on some Batman merch and when he wouldn't give a name to sign it for West signed it "To eBay", which is just wonderful.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anytime I've ever met someone famous I've just said hi and that I liked their work if I did. I don't need a picture or a signature to remember them because I still have a brain that functions so I can remember it. From my experience they seem to enjoy just a short normal interaction like that.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The one time I did it, it was a combo signing at an anime convention with Hitoshi Sakimoto (the composer for Final Fantasy Tactics, XII [whose soundtrack I had him sign], and a lot more) and some J-Rock group who was there playing his songs, I think? I got him to sign my soundtrack and then had no loving idea what to do with these other people I didn't know so I just awkwardly said thank you and booked it out of the room.

Anyway the point is I still have the signed soundtrack and I still remember the entire interaction over a decade later. I didn't pay for mine directly (it was part of the con) but I can totally understand someone spending a chunk of money and remembering "meeting" someone like that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a recommendation thread? I'm trying to find some sci fi I can watch with my wife, who hates aliens in costume. She was fine with Battlestar Galactica and loves The Expanse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dark Matter and Killjoys don't have aliens.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Never heard of Killjoys, but she did like Dark Matter. I'll check it out.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I'm sure it's completely apocryphal but once I heard a story that a fan paid for Adam West's autograph on some Batman merch and when he wouldn't give a name to sign it for West signed it "To eBay", which is just wonderful.

"Little e, big B? That's a popular name today!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

That DICK! posted:

I've never seen the show Doctor Who but I think I came up with a good line for it

"Where could they have possibly gotten off to?"

"Or.... IMPOSSIBLY gotten off to!"

that is too clever for doctor who

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Never heard of Killjoys, but she did like Dark Matter. I'll check it out.

Killjoys is pretty good. Also check out Colony on USA. 12 Monkeys is a great show too, surprisingly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Colony would be my choice too. I don't really understand what 'aliens in costume' means though, like actors that have a ton of prosthetics and stuff on?

If you want some throwback fun, then the original V miniseries from the 80s is great, and short enough if you don't like it. There's Final Battle too, if you do. Skip the series and the remake series.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why did they even cast that "social media" guy in Pitch, he literally doesn't do anything.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Colony would be my choice too. I don't really understand what 'aliens in costume' means though, like actors that have a ton of prosthetics and stuff on?

If you want some throwback fun, then the original V miniseries from the 80s is great, and short enough if you don't like it. There's Final Battle too, if you do. Skip the series and the remake series.

You nailed it. For whatever reason, she just doesn't like sci fi when it gets "cheesy", which she defines as people dressed in costume with prosthetics and stuff. She just can't make the leap for something like Babylon 5. I'll give Killjoy and Colony a chance.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

X-O posted:

Anytime I've ever met someone famous I've just said hi and that I liked their work if I did. I don't need a picture or a signature to remember them because I still have a brain that functions so I can remember it. From my experience they seem to enjoy just a short normal interaction like that.

The one celebrity interaction I've had that's been legitimately cool was meeting Andre 3000 of Outkast at my local post office. Dude got his mail, realized I was the only one who actively recognized him and shot the poo poo with me for a good ten minutes, talking about music and television.

Another guy I knew got laid over with Brent Spiner, who he said was really nice and appreciated that my friend wanted to talk about stuff other than Star Trek. Apparently Spiner is really into music, too.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Humans and Almost Human are decent sci-fi with neither muppets nor aliens. Black Mirror is sci-fi-esque.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Almost Human has no redeeming value except for a few fun conversations between the two leads while driving.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, watch Total Recall 2070 instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked that show when I was a kid but in retrospect the lead character's wooden acting makes him seem more robotic than the androids. He's so terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's because it's a Blade Runner show and not a Totall Recall show. And it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's just a bad actor. He does soap operas now.

• Locked thread