Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Paradox, would you please add an event/decision for a lunatic tribal ruler to reform into a horde if they conquer a steppe province?

I was thinking something where you end up forming an OPM horde with the steppe province only, the rest of your tribal holdings spinning off into an independent country.

Really, I want a way to be able to form a horde with a lot more cultures than the handful of ones you start with, since it's currently impossible to change culture as a horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Parallax Scroll posted:

Anyway thanks to everyone who chimed in about possibly inheriting Aragon. I may not end up going that route if Fernando ends up having terrible traits or other opportunities arise, but I'd like to at least set that plan in motion while I can. I'll try to avoid getting vassalized by the HRE, but being a giant HRE vassal's not so bad.

Being the most powerful vassal in a realm (especially when you're the most powerful by a huge margin) seriously owns.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

Being the most powerful vassal in a realm (especially when you're the most powerful by a huge margin) seriously owns.

I did it in my very first ck2 campaign (got conquered by HRE as Ireland, worked my way up to Kaiser over a couple centuries) and it was a lot of fun. Only reason I don't want to do it again is for variety.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

event RIP.11047 (Mystic illness treatment) doesn't properly set the achievement flag for getting better from the bubonic plague.

If you take a look at RIP.11040 (Experimental treatment), the exceptional success removes the plague, and also sets the flag:

code:
			if = { limit = { trait = has_bubonic_plague ai = yes } remove_trait = has_bubonic_plague set_character_flag = immune_bubonic_plague}
			if = { limit = { trait = has_bubonic_plague ai = no } remove_trait = has_bubonic_plague set_character_flag = immune_bubonic_plague set_character_flag = achievement_i_got_better}
while RIP.11047 just removes the illness but doesn't enable the achievement:

code:
				if = { limit = { trait = has_bubonic_plague } remove_trait = has_bubonic_plague set_character_flag = immune_bubonic_plague}

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

catlord posted:

I remember there was a mod, I can't remember which one it was, VIET early on or maybe CK2+? This was very early, around The Old Gods, but people started noticing that West Africans kept on taking over Poland or whatever. Turned out somewhere along the way something got hosed with that and there was a portal to the Baltic in Mali because the province numbers got mixed up or something.

That was CK2+, that bug was hilarious. Actually, now that I think about it, a fantasy mod with intentional portals could be pretty cool.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

There also was a decision in the early versions of CK2+ where you could claim primae noctae rights ala Braveheart. There was long before the Way of Life DLC, so a comical way to get a shitload of bastards really quickly was to marry off every child-bearing age female courtier, screwing your way through the court. It also had an insane chance (like 60%) to get that courtier pregnant, so if you did it zealously enough, you could end up with a lot of bastards.

I loaded up as the Byzantine Emperor just for shits and giggles, and I managed to produce 44 children in one reign, at the cost of basically imploding the Byzantine Empire.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Let me tell you all a story. A story of the glory of Rome.

In the Year Of Our Lord, 906 something happened which had not occurred in nearly 500 years. A triumph was held...but not in the city of Constantine. No, instead the triumph was held through Rome as in the days of the Emperors of old. Emperor Leon VI "The Glorious" had done what no man thought possible: he had proven that the emperor, called "Byzantine" by the sniveling barbians in the West was the true heir to Rome by taking the old capital back and throwing out the heretical patriach of Rome and his lies of "Catholicism"

But Leon The Glorious was unfulfilled. Even if the Emperor of the Franks begrudgingly acknowledged him as the heir to Rome, he was no great conqueror like Julius Ceasar, or Augustus or Trajan or even Titus. He had merely retaken land that was rightfully his. The only way to but the snickers to rest was to show that the Isauros Dynasty was the undisputed greatest dynasty in Imperial History.

And so he began conquering.

100 years later, Emperor Gerasimos, known among his enemies as "The Cruel", surveyed the battlefield near Savoy. The Frankish kingdom of Aquitaine had broken off and, thanks to some clever maneuvering, he had produced the true King of Aquitaine. Of course, the "King" had no idea that Gerasimos was planning on throwing him in his dungeons and stripping him of his newly won titles minutes after the war was over, but the pretense was needed to prevent the rest of the world from joining against him. For you see, the Isauros Dynasty had been busy. His great-grandfather, Leon the Glorious had dreamed of a restored Roman Empire and his son and grandson were doing their best to live up to that.

Wars in the former Roman province of Dacia had brought the last few remnants of the Dacian people, conquered by Trajan, back under the purple banner. But that was not enough. Thanks to excellent initative from his Governor of Georgia, Gerasimos had taken control of the steppe lands of Alania and Tauricia. An opportune marriage alliance by Leon the Glorious's heir, Pyrros the Just, had netted Gerasimos's father, Emperor Pantoleon, with the Kingdom of Bavaria and the Empire, but he was dead within a year of ascending the throne due to an outbreak of consumption in the capital.

And just for good measure, Pyrros had managed to weasel his grandson into the line of succession for England as well, so when the church bells tolled in mourning for Emperor Pantoleon, Gerasimos was already riding off to press his claim to the English kingdom. It was there he earned his nickname "the Cruel" as he imprisoned and castrated every man with a claim to the British Isles to ensure England would not again slip out of Roman hands. What a piece of work!

His empire fell to his extremely cruel, shrewd and frankly mad, son Gerasimos. While he was mad, he did succeed in that campaign in Aquitaine. By the end of his rule, Gerasimos the Cruel had managed to bring much of the Frankish kingdom under his control. The empire would continue slowly chewing into Frankish and Muslim lands...until 1050. In 1050 something happened that would change the Roman Empire forever.

For in 1050, Gerasimos III was born. And from the minute he was born, he radiated nothing but his grandfather's evil.

The restoration of Egypt and a Greek ruler for the first time since the great civil war between Augustus and Marc Antony was cause for celebration. But the celebration would be short-lived.

Nearly immediately after the Egyptian campaign, Emperor Ioulianos the Corpulent, began eating himself to death. In just 13 short years the Emperor was dead and the Emperor who would be known as the Devil, among many other names, ascended to the throne.

He was...not a nice emperor.

Just 11 years after taking the throne, the cursed Franks were no more. Their "empire" absorbed into Greater Rome, the people began whispering of a true campaign of terror against any remaining Frankish nobles. The oppression was so serious that many Frankish nobles abandoned their lands and changed their names. The last record of the great Karling dynasty begun by Charlemagne was a mere stable boy who was rumored to have been hunted down by Emperor Gerasimos The Wicked himself for sport.

Rumors abounded that Gerasimos the Wicked was even a werewolf, but these folk tales were merely the result of the many decades of rule in his Empire of Terror.

Gerasimos may have been a complete terror, but he managed to add the Kingdoms of Ireland, Mesopotamia and he destroyed the Franks completely. A combination of the cruelty of Caligula with the paranoia of Domitian and the brutality of Trajan was a bad recipe for any enemies of the Empire. He managed to push the borders of the empire further than any other emperor before or since.

Gerasimos's son barely ruled thanks to his father's unnaturally long life but his grandson, Gennadios the Hunter was able to continue the expansion of the empire. During his reign he brought in Gallia, and began the slow process of reconquest of Hispania against the Sunni Muslims. But of course, I'm sure you all know that Gennadios the Hunter is known to history for something much more unique than his conquests.

Yes, that's right. I'm of course talking of Gennadios' fabled immortality. Now, we of course know that he's not walking around with us today...and yet we do have the strange account of his time with Cleopatra the Alchemist.

I...cannot conclusively say what happened, but clearly Gennadios valued her company extensively. Reports exist of him undergoing great trials...but to this day we do not know their purpose.

What we do know is that immortal or not, Gennadios was no longer Emperor by 1180. It would fall to his son, Philippos The Monk to complete the Roman restoration. After completing his father's wars in Hispania it was thought that all the old Roman territory had been restored. Unfortunately, a small castle in Londonium was still in foreign hands. After some...intense negotiation, Philippos convinced the Swedish king to hand over his rightful land.

It had been just over 275 years since Emperor Leon VI had wished for true glory to be restored to Rome...and Rome now sat as the undisputed power in the world.

Well.

The old world at least. It was around this time that rumors of a civilization, more powerful than even Rome lay across the sea to the west...

I've been playing all the Paradox games since way back in the HOI 2 days and this has gotta be one of the craziest games I've ever seen. Second probably only to my restoration of Rome in EU4. I'm still running this game because I'm going for the achievement for playing from the Charlemagne start to the end of the game but holy crap. A Demon Child and an Immortal Emperor in the same run? This has to be the luckiest run ever. And the real fun part of it, was doing it all with the coalition mechanics still in play as I started this game way back before Reaper's Due came out.

I'll let you all know how the Aztec/Mongol invasion goes, but given that I have a levy of around 150k right now, I'm putting my money on myself.

And here's proof this all was on Ironman. I've gotten so many achievements this run...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

wow

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

yeah. the thing i'm saddest about is having to suicide my immortal emperor because his son's stats were just so much better.

also this is why you really shouldn't go for SPQR these days unless you have an insane amount of time on your hands. Especially with coalitions on :shepicide:. It took a lot of maneuvering to figure out how to conquer stuff without getting the whole world to dogpile me. Lots of wars against revolting vassals and then I took out Francia and the Ummyyads by chaining together wars. Orthodox holy wars are extremely slow and painful as you can only go a duchy at a time, but if you declare war immediately after winning you can keep them from joining the coalition and just ground them into paste.

In terms of how long this too, I started playing back in July and it took me most of that month just to restore the Empire and then August and September to get where I am now. Probably averaged around 10 hours played a week.

And I still have about 300 years left of gameplay. I think I'll try and get the achievement for being at war with the Aztecs and Muslims simultaneously (and then win) because I don't think there's any other game I'll ever play where that's even remotely possible

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 29, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They really oughta make it so the Patriarch can call
crusades if you mend the schism.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

axeil posted:

also this is why you really shouldn't go for SPQR these days unless you have an insane amount of time on your hands. Especially with coalitions on :shepicide:. It took a lot of maneuvering to figure out how to conquer stuff without getting the whole world to dogpile me. Lots of wars against revolting vassals and then I took out Francia and the Ummyyads by chaining together wars. Orthodox holy wars are extremely slow and painful as you can only go a duchy at a time, but if you declare war immediately after winning you can keep them from joining the coalition and just ground them into paste.

The way to do it is to start as Charlemagne and swear fealty to the Byzantine Emperor instead of forming the HRE or Francia, and then faction for Elective then being the Emperor, so you start off huge enough that there's only 3 mega-blobs, like the Khazars, Ummayads or Abbassids who can possibly contest you, and make them tributaties to prevent them joining in against your conquests.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

evilmiera posted:

More like walling them in. That was a legitimate thing after all!

code:

execution_method = {
	death = death_execution_immurement
	weight_multiplier = {
		factor = 200
		modifier = {
			factor = 3
			FROM = {
				trait = architect
			}
		}
	}
	trigger = {
		FROM = {
			OR = {
				trait = wroth
				trait = cruel
				trait = architect
			}
			NOR = {
				is_nomadic = yes
				is_tribal = yes
			}
		}
	}
}
:)

SeaTard posted:

event RIP.11047 (Mystic illness treatment) doesn't properly set the achievement flag for getting better from the bubonic plague.

I fixed it for 2.6.2.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

axeil posted:

yeah. the thing i'm saddest about is having to suicide my immortal emperor because his son's stats were just so much better.

In terms of how long this too, I started playing back in July and it took me most of that month just to restore the Empire and then August and September to get where I am now. Probably averaged around 10 hours played a week.

And I still have about 300 years left of gameplay. I think I'll try and get the achievement for being at war with the Aztecs and Muslims simultaneously (and then win) because I don't think there's any other game I'll ever play where that's even remotely possible

I think you might find it difficult to beat the Aztecs and Mongols in one war. The Mongols come with ~150k, the Aztec spawns vary, but the highest I've seen is ~250k. These don't despawn, but if you fight one, two brutal wars where thousands die, you will eventually grind their mega levy to dust.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New 2.6.2 beta:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...reports.971533/
Is now stable again, but it's not a full release since performance is down a bit and we want to sort that too.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

New 2.6.2 beta:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...reports.971533/
Is now stable again, but it's not a full release since performance is down a bit and we want to sort that too.

Hey, great job on the new beta. One thing I noticed in my Roman Empire game is that I don't get any achievements for the new achievements that were created for 2.6.0. Is that a known issue? The game started back on 2.5.x so I was wondering if that's why when I built a hospital I didn't get the "built a hospital" achievement.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

code:

execution_method = {
	death = death_execution_immurement
	weight_multiplier = {
		factor = 200
		modifier = {
			factor = 3
			FROM = {
				trait = architect
			}
		}
	}
	trigger = {
		FROM = {
			OR = {
				trait = wroth
				trait = cruel
				trait = architect
			}
			NOR = {
				is_nomadic = yes
				is_tribal = yes
			}
		}
	}
}
:)

I fixed it for 2.6.2.

gently caress! I guess your next job really IS drowning then.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
On that subject, can there be a Cask of Amontillado assassination method, where the target is tricked into venturing into some forgotten basement and walled in alive?

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

axeil posted:

Emperor Leon VI "The Glorious" had done what no man thought possible: he had proven that the emperor, called "Byzantine" by the sniveling barbians in the West was the true heir to Rome by taking the old capital back and throwing out the heretical patriach of Rome and his lies of "Catholicism"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXV570bg_w

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Tehan posted:

I'm playing as Amalfi and have taken over both counties in Crete, but to usurp the duchy while staying within the Byzantine Empire I need a claim on it. Can I still fabricate a claim on the duchy with a highly-skilled chancellor if I own the county he's fabricating in?

If you control both counties, that means that the current holder of the duchy title no longer holds any de jure land within it which should allow you to plot for the title as well.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Only problem with, say, 769 start Byzantium, is that most Ducal titles are Viceroyalties.
I hope you know how to make the Emperor like you!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
It's pretty easy to get around that by taking land outside the Empire and forming the duchies before the Emperor, so you become a hereditary Doux/Despot.

Serbia is good for that particularly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

axeil posted:

Hey, great job on the new beta. One thing I noticed in my Roman Empire game is that I don't get any achievements for the new achievements that were created for 2.6.0. Is that a known issue? The game started back on 2.5.x so I was wondering if that's why when I built a hospital I didn't get the "built a hospital" achievement.

I don't think achievements have ever worked with games started before they were implemented. Although on a related note, no achievements were working in the previous 2.6.2 beta.

evilmiera posted:

gently caress! I guess your next job really IS drowning then.

Drowning them in wine is already in, no pool-ladder related deaths though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think achievements have ever worked with games started before they were implemented. Although on a related note, no achievements were working in the previous 2.6.2 beta.

Drowning them in wine is already in, no pool-ladder related deaths though.
If we're counting executions I already dug through the weight file and mentioned drowning pit is in. Ugh how are we supposed to trust our CK2 developers when they don't even know every single of the 31 execution methods by heart.

Wikipedia posted:

Some drowning-pits had ladders down which the condemned person had to climb; the ladder was then withdrawn.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think achievements have ever worked with games started before they were implemented.

Ah, that would do it then! Thanks for the clarification.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Jesus calm down guys

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Jesus calm down guys

What the gently caress

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
When I'm trying to seduce someone and they or I go to war, I get a message saying there's no time for such dalliances, and a choice 'carry on' or 'give up'. And then I get it again and again and again and again and again. Could this be made more infrequent?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Windu posted:

Jesus calm down guys

"I was thinking of converting to Nestorianism, but then I remembered all those guys who cut their dicks off in the name of Jesus and, well, it's hard to argue with that."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

binge crotching posted:

What the gently caress

Messalian reminding us why it's the best religion, hands down.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Jesus calm down guys

"Well my liege, can't say they're not a devout lot."

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Can anybody actually explain Messalianism

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Here's the Wikipedia article on them. From what I understand, there's very little information on them that's not other people throwing poo poo at them for being heretics, so specifics of what they did is up for debate.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Lemme try to explain a few tenants, and also understand that as Catlord stated, all of our sources on them are basically people condemning them.

1. They believed that accepting a life of ascetic beggary was a path to enlightenment. Not literal Buddhist style enlightenment, but that eventually, if you prayed and meditated and listened to the teachings of other perfeti, you could reach spiritual enlightenment, literally bathing yourself in the Holy Trinity. Once you reached this state of spiritual enlightenment, you were free from moral obligation, because a man who had reached spiritual enlightenment would never feel any desire for gluttony, greed, lust, etc.
2. God could literally be anybody and anything. Provided you were far enough down the path of spiritual enlightenment, God could infuse you with some of that sweet,sweet Holy Spirit, allowing you to literally see the Holy Spirit. Therefore, Jesus was not simply 'savior, redeemer, etc' but the first Messalian.
3. Females and Males could embark down this path. Clergy (that is, local leaders of churchs) were seen as below these Ascetic holy men.
4. The idea that they thought of incest as a-ok is probably nonsense laid on them by later writers. This concept of holy ascetism in pursuit of divine enlightenment was rather popular in Late antiquity, and would later influence Bogomilist lines of thought , who argued for a return to gnostic tenets of Early Christianity. That is, no to the Church hierarchy, yes to living exactly like Jesus.

So, basically, Messalianism is a very early form of gnostic thought - the idea that to be close to God, you have to live like Jesus did, poor,broke, and disciplined.

Source I drew from:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/wace/biodict.html?term=Euchites
(described the writers who lived relatively shortly after the fact describing the Messalianists and what was done to them)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some of that sounds fairly similar to the Cathar line of thought, which I guess isn't surprising because as you mentioned they're ideas that would recur every so often throughout Christianity and the church would usually stamp down on them as heretical since for obvious reasons the clergy wasn't too big on the removal of the clergy.

Is Messalian being a Nestorian heresy related to anything historical, or is it just "Nestorian needs some heresies" for gameplay reasons?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
In my current game the Aztecs invaded a long time ago, something like 70 years now, and still haven't lost their doomstacks. Does anyone know how long it takes them to lose their super army?

The wiki says it's 50 years but that hasn't happened yet in my game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Darth Windu posted:

Jesus calm down guys

Huh. I only remember CK2+ and the old mod we integrated (Heretic Pride) using those mechanics for Messalians (in vanilla they're basically just Nestorians With Incest and Feminism), but I thought the MA bonus from self-castrations was capped in Plus. I'll have to look at that when I'm home.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 30, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone know where the graphics files for the coat of arms outlines (like the gold surrounding bits for empires/HRE)? Trying to figure out how to mod that mess but I am kinda stumped and probably overlooking stuff.

Edit: sho' nuff was looking in the totally wrong area under gfx.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 30, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Some of that sounds fairly similar to the Cathar line of thought, which I guess isn't surprising because as you mentioned they're ideas that would recur every so often throughout Christianity and the church would usually stamp down on them as heretical since for obvious reasons the clergy wasn't too big on the removal of the clergy.

Is Messalian being a Nestorian heresy related to anything historical, or is it just "Nestorian needs some heresies" for gameplay reasons?

Probably the latter. Messalianism is vaguely similar to Nestorian ideas in that they both agree that Christ has one nature (or rather, Messalians would agree that Christ has one nature), but the Nestorian Church still emphasizes hierarchy. Also, claiming that the Messalians were a coherent sect is kind of problematic. They were more like a passing gnostic 'fad' in the Early Church than a coherent ideology.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In some respects it's a geographical association, since the Messalians had a reasonably strong presence in late Antiquity in Mesopotamia, i.e. the stronghold of the Eastern church. Much like making Bogomilism an Orthodox heresy and Catharism a Catholic heresy when really the two movements had more in common with each other than with either Catholicism or Orthodoxy, I guess.

A significant part of the problem with coming up with Nestorian heresies is that the Church of the East is extremely diminished from what it once was, and we don't have a great deal of information about whatever religious disputes took place inside it when it was at its peak. My inclination would be, since Nestorianism was a product of the theological School of Antioch, to go for Christian sects whose ideas were also influenced by Antiochene thought, such as Modalism or Adoptionism; even though they were separate sects never really part of any Nestorian church or movement, they at least had a common wellspring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dallan Invictus posted:

Huh. I only remember CK2+ and the old mod we integrated (Heretic Pride) using those mechanics for Messalians (in vanilla they're basically just Nestorians With Incest), but I thought the MA bonus from self-castrations was capped in Plus. I'll have to look at that when I'm home.

I don't even have the option to self castrate , not sure how all these people are doing it

• Locked thread