Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

woodenchicken posted:

So, Pimax seems to have been out for a while, has there been any reaction to it?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/27/4k-vr-headset/

Looks like the competition are starting to nip at Oculus and HTC's heels a little. I think it's pretty exciting, personally, as proof of concept. Better clarity, easier setup, at the fraction of the cost? The only drawback being that it's not, uh, usable for longer than 15 minutes and makes you wanna vomit.
But if they iron out the kinks this looks like it could be a great alternative for poors and those who don't care about motion controls, like driving and flight sim people. Why, within a year we might get some cheaper simpler alternatives to "premium" headsets that are actually usable and worth considering.

If you've read the review, Pimax basically cheaped out and was able to package a cheap 4K cellphone display into a headset with some IMUs.

One of the major reasons why Oculus and HTC's HMDs cost so much is the fact that sourcing hi density low persistence displays that run at a high framerate is expensive.

Sensors and a way to track them are additional cost on top of that.

Think of Pimax as a DK1, where Oculus and HTC are already 2-3 levels above that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That thing is guaranteed to plagued by tearing. If it doesn't have low persistence, it will be a blurry mess. They seem to be marketing it as the first 4K headset and that is pretty much the only thing going for it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

That thing is guaranteed to plagued by tearing. If it doesn't have low persistence, it will be a blurry mess. They seem to be marketing it as the first 4K headset and that is pretty much the only thing going for it.

Plus the 'virtual reality? I've heard of that wow this one is 4k must be the best I'm so smart' demographic. Used to be grandmas that would buy those Tiger handheld games.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cojawfee posted:

They seem to be marketing it as the first 4K headset and that is pretty much the only thing going for it.

Plus it's cheap.

But yeah, it's a hastily put together package that doesn't benefit from all the R&D Oculus and Valve/HTC put into determining what makes an HMD actually work well. Just being high resolution doesn't make up for the other issues, and in fact it's probably a bad thing in the long run (with the potential for people to go "I heard this VR stuff was cool but I tried one and it was awful and made me sick").

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the touch controllers have vibrate motors in them, right? haptic feedback?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yup

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
So I originally stated that I felt that a bunch of developers were "overreacting" to the news that Palmer Luckey was human garbage.

I think this person states it better than I do and uses the term "misguided" which I feel better fits with how I felt after hearing about the news.
https://bullshit.ist/an-open-letter-to-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-c3ac9486582d#.eznbsiewv

People should be using this opportunity to open up the conversation and enact change rather than resort to boycotts and donations to 'the other candidate'

It just rubs me the wrong way when a bunch of people just immediately switch sides and take up pitchforks after something new comes up that doesn't align with their views. Why praise someone for something and then immediately poo poo on them afterwards?

Should we be making GBS threads all over VR as a whole now? Should we abandon it because one guy turned out to be crazy and then used that crazy to make something magical?
Notch and Steve Jobs both turned out to be shitheads too but noone is boycotting Minecraft/Microsoft or boycotting the iPhone/Apple.

I'm just hoping we put this poo poo past us and that once Touch & Playstation VR come out, more developers and more people will start to come on board so that we have more content available for everyone.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

or just get a vive and have a healthy conscious

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I tried to get into this but I couldn't figure out how to do any upgrades. I would buy a part but it wouldn't let me add it to my ship. It seemed like the racing was just "boost until you almost over heat and then let it cool down then boost again."

It took a bit of fiddling but I was able to get things to stick once you figured out what worked where. (Most ships have a limited amount of slots to put stuff on (so you have to take the old stuff off first) but besides that, as long as you had a slot for it, you could put it near anywhere (engines, radiators, etc).

And they fixed the boost thing from the old boost for long amounts for small gain (but needed to stay aloft) to huge gain for short burst which does make it more strategic.

It still needs some polish, but it is becoming a pretty sweet game that is the closest thing to Pod Racing so far.

Now with Vive/Touch controllers, we really do need a real Star Wars Pod Racer sort of game, I mean common....

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

w00tazn posted:

Should we be making GBS threads all over VR as a whole now? Should we abandon it because one guy turned out to be crazy and then used that crazy to make something magical?
Notch and Steve Jobs both turned out to be shitheads too but noone is boycotting Minecraft/Microsoft or boycotting the iPhone/Apple.

Literally no one was planning on doing that.

People have been wary of Oculus for a while, their business practices aren't particularly consumer friendly and they're arrogantly acting like their the only game in town when they fairly clearly aren't. For most it appears Palmer being an rear end in a top hat was the straw that broke the camels back.

Boycotts of the platform only lightly affect Oculus users as OpenVR is compatible with Oculus hardware (including Touch) by default. No one will lose out on any games, though maybe some of the fancier features like async timewarp and the capacitive buttons on the controllers will be missing. A bummer for some, but not the end of the world and definitely not something that will hurt VR on the whole.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

w00tazn posted:

So I originally stated that I felt that a bunch of developers were "overreacting" to the news that Palmer Luckey was human garbage.

I think this person states it better than I do and uses the term "misguided" which I feel better fits with how I felt after hearing about the news.
https://bullshit.ist/an-open-letter-to-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-c3ac9486582d#.eznbsiewv

People should be using this opportunity to open up the conversation and enact change rather than resort to boycotts and donations to 'the other candidate'

It just rubs me the wrong way when a bunch of people just immediately switch sides and take up pitchforks after something new comes up that doesn't align with their views. Why praise someone for something and then immediately poo poo on them afterwards?

I'm just hoping we put this poo poo past us and that once Touch & Playstation VR come out, more developers and more people will start to come on board so that we have more content available for everyone.

Palmer Luckey being an out of touch poo poo head is a further confirmation against Oculus' attempt to adopt an Apple-like closed VR ecosystem to generate them more money with limited (or less with the lack of refunds and the excuse against that only being they don't want to because money) benefits for the end user. There is no defending his publicly available garbage opinions but it also fuels the fire that people have against Oculus and their moves within the VR space. Maybe this minor scandal was a broke the camel back situation, or maybe independent agents feel that they would be healthier if they divorced themselves from Oculus because they feel their users would like that better, of maybe because they want to.

If Oculus can set up a separate store front with a no refund policy and everyone is cool with that but a developer pulls support because they disagree with Oculus employing someone that did something they do not agree with and that's called 'misguided'? Why? Nobody owes anyone anything, a developer doesn't have a contract or owed content for someone that buys a certain headset. SuperHot gets a bought exclusivity window for Oculus and everyone just understands that Oculus wants people to buy their headset and adopt their ecosystem and become one of their users and they feel that timed exclusivity is a good avenue for it, and everyone just accepts that because that's how business operates.
But oh no another developer doesn't want to be associated with Palmer because of his own-volition actions and suddenly we have to have a frank and serous discussion about if it's the right thing or not to do?
Do I have this right?

efb sorta
:argh:
SwissCM!!!!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 29, 2016

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

w00tazn posted:

Genuinely curious - Why does everyone hate Notch? Pretty much all I know is that he sold Minecraft for billions and now just tweets about nothing because who cares, he's rich.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Aphex- posted:

Genuinely curious - Why does everyone hate Notch? Pretty much all I know is that he sold Minecraft for billions and now just tweets about nothing because who cares, he's rich.

I was going to ask the same thing, the only thing I know him for besides Minecraft is that he spent like $5000 to have a unique named after him in Path of Exile (Path of Exile is cool and helping finance those guys is cool).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

w00tazn posted:

i think the chubby nerdman who gives money to make lovely trump memes is bad

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
I have a new computer that is capable of doing VR, so I just wanted to check in on where things stand between Rift and Vive at this point.

I've done research and asked around regarding both, as well as having a brief chance to try the Vive. The general consensus seems to range from "Get whatever, it's all roughly the same," to "it depends on what you want to do" (e.g. sit down vs. roomscale gameplay).

I'm leaning toward roomscale-type stuff, which would lend itself toward my getting a Vive right now, but unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like the Oculus Touch should pretty much bring the systems into parity in terms of price and functionality (being able to do roomscale with motion controls). Is this accurate, or is it still too early to tell? Some of the other minor details make it seem like Oculus has slightly better visual fidelity (at least with text), and is a bit more comfortable, in which case if I had to plunk down $800, the Rift + Touch might be the go to.

Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Aphex- posted:

Because he's got a neckbeard, fedora and epitomizes "nerd." All I know is the dude kicks rear end and made that bank from Minecraft and good on him for that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Aphex- posted:

I haven't seen anything particularly egregious from him, but I can't be accused of looking. He's somewhat of a darling of the Brietbart/MRA crowd and actively acknowledges association with them, tho.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/704828353627295744 etc

e: casual perusal of twitter makes me feel like he just needs better friends to talk to him rationally about a few things, but I'm that sort of hopeless optimist v0v

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How's BigScreen for gaming? Wanting to play the Witcher 2, should I get Virtual Desktop instead, or are neither of them OK on that front yet?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

XOIC of Radishes posted:

it sounds like the Oculus Touch should pretty much bring the systems into parity in terms of price and functionality (being able to do roomscale with motion controls). Is this accurate, or is it still too early to tell?

This is very likely to be true, but until it's released and used widely there is still room for doubt. The Rift headset launch had supply issues which delayed preorders for months, and the headsets actually released onto the market had quality issues that were not known about before release - most notably red tinting, which has only recently been fixed. While Oculus say that their production systems are much more robust for this launch there's still as much uncertainty as there is with any hardware launch. For all we know at this point Touch could randomly burst into flames when overcharged, mentioning no names of other hardware manufacturers.

Basically they're probably both great, but whichever one you get never preorder hardware never preorder.

edit: I guess it's also worth mentioning that there are various reasons to think that Touch will be marginally more limited in terms of the size of the play space and similar factors, but even if these are true they're unlikely to affect the average user whose play space is much more likely to be limited by room size and furniture.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 29, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

How's BigScreen for gaming? Wanting to play the Witcher 2, should I get Virtual Desktop instead, or are neither of them OK on that front yet?

BigScreen is free and good. Doesn't hurt to try it out

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

XOIC of Radishes posted:

I have a new computer that is capable of doing VR, so I just wanted to check in on where things stand between Rift and Vive at this point.

I've done research and asked around regarding both, as well as having a brief chance to try the Vive. The general consensus seems to range from "Get whatever, it's all roughly the same," to "it depends on what you want to do" (e.g. sit down vs. roomscale gameplay).

I'm leaning toward roomscale-type stuff, which would lend itself toward my getting a Vive right now, but unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like the Oculus Touch should pretty much bring the systems into parity in terms of price and functionality (being able to do roomscale with motion controls). Is this accurate, or is it still too early to tell? Some of the other minor details make it seem like Oculus has slightly better visual fidelity (at least with text), and is a bit more comfortable, in which case if I had to plunk down $800, the Rift + Touch might be the go to.

Thanks!

The major differences is software related. Plus a single observation from a specific developer on how you can not easily crawl with the Oculus Touch controllers because of their design.
Comfort-wise is so subjective that you have to honestly try them yourself, generally people will agree that the Rift is more comfortable though but the Vive isn't uncomfortable. Likewise with visual clarity, I've seen enough people that say one is better than the other slightly and the next person say the exact same thing but about the opposite headset. Differences are slight in 'sweet spot' and fov but that also depends on how you wear them, the foam you have and a bunch of other factors that make the actual differences somewhat moot because they are so slight to begin with. Typically Vive has a slightly higher field of view and the Rift has a slightly larger sweet spot (larger clearer center area) but again I've seen people say the opposite.
Oculus Touch parity with Vive motion controllers should be a thing yeah but Oculus still hasn't said they are going for room scale yet. They have remained steady in saying that Oculus is for standing and sitting experiences. While Touch is going to come with a second camera it needs to be plugged in to the computer along with the other camera and (AFAIK anyway) does not come with USB3 extension cables to make it easy to put the other camera behind you so you can have room scale tracking (Oculus says to put them both in front of you on either side).This can be done easily it's just not supported nor talked about (yet) by Oculus which makes me worry about inbuilt support and 1:1 parity if Oculus keeps insisting room scale isn't for them yet.

Edit
The Vive is just as capable with sit down experiences as the Rift, there is no loss there. The reason people say get a Rift for sit down is because of you don't care about motion controls then you can get a Rift cheaper than a Vive with just the hardware you want.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 29, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The main thing that kinda bugs me about Bigscreen is that the large screens in many of the environments seem to have weird aspect ratios, and some have geometry that is actually in front of the screen for some insane reason. I think they just added/will soon add some more environments that have fewer issues, though, and you can always just use the floating screen if you want. They've also been talking about multiple monitor support, and once they add that it'll be hard to recommend spending $15 on Virtual Desktop unless you need a 360 video player

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

The main thing that kinda bugs me about Bigscreen is that the large screens in many of the environments seem to have weird aspect ratios, and some have geometry that is actually in front of the screen for some insane reason. I think they just added/will soon add some more environments that have fewer issues, though, and you can always just use the floating screen if you want. They've also been talking about multiple monitor support, and once they add that it'll be hard to recommend spending $15 on Virtual Desktop unless you need a 360 video player
Yeah the other thing I really want is a dimmer control for the lighting. The outside area with floating screen would be perfect if the lighting on the balcony wasn't so bright.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

homeless snail posted:

They just added a few environments that are pretty cool, too. The movie theater ones with ambient lighting are great.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the feedback NRVNQSR and KakerMix.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I only go on the balcony because it's the nicest

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
once in bigscreen I changed the screen scale and position so that I was somehow tiny and stuck inside the couch in the living room/apartment environment, and couldn't get out. it was eerily similar to a salvia trip i had once.

edit: speaking of drugs and vr, has anyone tried a hallucinogen with their headset? I sort of suspect I would feel claustrophobic and would just feel like there's a screen two inches from my face rather than it being anything immersive or interesting, but it might be cool. I did play a bunch of SPT while doing lines of coke the other day and let me tell you that poo poo is incredibly, incredibly fun.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 29, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Big screen seems to have a lot of overhead. I run virtual desktop when playing racing sims. It allows me to go to my desktop to start a new session or look at discord or whatever. I noticed that big screen seems to make games run a bit worse than when I use virtual desktop.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Big screen seems to have a lot of overhead. I run virtual desktop when playing racing sims. It allows me to go to my desktop to start a new session or look at discord or whatever. I noticed that big screen seems to make games run a bit worse than when I use virtual desktop.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that, too. Even in the dedicated game mode it seems a bit worse. Still worth the trade-off imo

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Thanks!

You're basically going to have feature parity between the two, and as far as room scale, you can already see folks with not even the final touch hardware using it for the same roomscale stuff flawlessly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0I_TJYXHFk for example). If you don't want a front facing setup however you will have to buy a usb 3.0 extension cable (make sure its active for the most part), but thats all really.

The rest of the differences are minor or not depending on how you feel. I would say if at all possible try them both, because some people see it all basically the same, others see big differences. I know personally I wouldn't want to give up my oculus for a vive after trying a vive demo. The screen just wasn't as crisp, the SDE was more noticeable, and the most frustrating thing was how it was blurry out of the center of your vision. It was the same way back with the DK2, and one of the things i've loved the most about the rift was how every square inch of the display was 100% clear so you can look around with your eyes more, and I was quite disappointed after I finally got to try a vive that I had to move my head more than my eyes once again. I also appreciate the audio solution on the rift for quality and staying put feeling like they're not there, and the solid straps make the whole thing not wobble as much when I tilt my head and lean around. Theres a lot of little things about the software I like as well, ATW is fantastic, everything just works, and I really like home, despite how far it still needs to come for features.

One of the other reasons I would say I prefer it, is also controversial as well, however practical it is to me. Simply, with a rift because of the exclusive content I can play all the things that i've absolutely loved like edge of nowhere, the climb, and others plus upcoming exclusives like wilson's heart, dead and burred, unspoken, superhot, and whatever else will be coming in the following years. In addition to all this if I wanted to play something that was only sold on steam, all of that is still 100% compatible so I lose out on nothing. You can use revive to play some of the oculus content, but not all of it, and who knows if future games will still work with it. Its the most controversial aspect and a big part of all the flamewars, but as someone who just wants to play poo poo in VR, it was a big plus to me at the end of the day.

I hate wading into the vive v. rift argument space and I usually try to avoid it, but If a friend asked me for a recommendation, I would without question recommend the rift no matter what they wanted to do with it now that touch is just about out and looks to all be the same price. I just don't see the point in paying the same for a less well crafted system (to me), with fewer games available.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

the touch controllers have vibrate motors in them, right? haptic feedback?

Yup, and the sample code allows you to used .wav files to define the feedback, which is nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Once in a while I wish I could play FFXIV in Bigscreen or similar but that game is hilariously CPU heavy in certain situations, to the point that even an i5 6600k is reprojecting or losing track an awful lot :(

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I hate wading into the vive v. rift argument space and I usually try to avoid it, but If a friend asked me for a recommendation, I would without question recommend the rift no matter what they wanted to do with it now that touch is just about out and looks to all be the same price. I just don't see the point in paying the same for a less well crafted system (to me), with fewer games available.

Your feedback was greatly appreciated, thanks!

The last thing I wanted to do was simply ask "Which is better: Rift or Vive?," because I know that gets asked a lot, and much of it comes down to personal preference. It's good to hear why people prefer the ones that they do without "arguing."

It looks like I can easily get access to trying out a Rift at my local Best Buy. Unfortunately, I only got to spend about 10 minutes with the Vive on an unfinished demo, so I won't be able to reliably compare the two.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just an FYI, if you're doing any VR on your android phone, it's a good time to uninstall the Oculus app, at least for a while. There's a problem where it's trying to install an update, and all it's doing is draining the battery like crazy. I lost maybe 50-60% over a few hours. Supposedly there's a hotfix being pushed, but since I haven't been using it for a while, I have no need of it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Your feedback was greatly appreciated, thanks!

The last thing I wanted to do was simply ask "Which is better: Rift or Vive?," because I know that gets asked a lot, and much of it comes down to personal preference. It's good to hear why people prefer the ones that they do without "arguing."

It looks like I can easily get access to trying out a Rift at my local Best Buy. Unfortunately, I only got to spend about 10 minutes with the Vive on an unfinished demo, so I won't be able to reliably compare the two.

Yeah, its good you can test both because thats what it should really come down to. No it sounds like you won't get a super in depth test of each, but you should get enough info to know "do I like how A or B fits better? do I like the visuals on A or B better? do I like xyz on A or B better?". At least for the HMD itself anyways, I don't think best buy has touch demos.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

MisterBibs posted:

Just an FYI, if you're doing any VR on your android phone, it's a good time to uninstall the Oculus app, at least for a while. There's a problem where it's trying to install an update, and all it's doing is draining the battery like crazy. I lost maybe 50-60% over a few hours. Supposedly there's a hotfix being pushed, but since I haven't been using it for a while, I have no need of it.

Yeah, my S7 burned through 50% of its battery in an hour or so, plus was practically hot enough to cook an egg on. A recent update included a package called "Oculus Room", and something caused it to reinstall itself over and over again, driving up CPU usage and draining battery. I've got the hotfix now, though, and things are mostly back to normal - except that I can't install any new apps, nor update existing ones. I'm guessing the kludge their software engineers used as a short-term fix was to disable the Oculus app's ability to install *anything*. Which sucks, because I was hoping to attend an Altspace VR live interview tonight, but hadn't updated that app in a while.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought my phone was using a lot of battery today.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Looks like Vive is launching their own store to compete with Steam and Oculus Home?

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/09/htc-viveport-vr-app-store-live-regions.html
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/30/htc-launches-its-viveport-vr-store-globally/
https://www.viveport.com/

Looks like timed store exclusives as well
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5550zq/htc_also_introduced_viveport_premieres_a_program/

With SteamVR this wasn't any real doubt, but to confirm, it's not hardware exclusive
http://uploadvr.com/viveport-launches-us-htc-execs-weigh-exclusivity-rumors/

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 30, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Once in a while I wish I could play FFXIV in Bigscreen or similar but that game is hilariously CPU heavy in certain situations, to the point that even an i5 6600k is reprojecting or losing track an awful lot :(

I used the tridef 3d trial (https://www.tridef.com/cart/product.php?productid=3) to trick ff14 to work in SBS 3D, and used the virtual desktop SBS mode to play it in 3d on my vive.

The good parts: depth really adds quit a bit, even for 3rd person. I took a stroll around Ishgard and it's very nice.
Also, Shiva is gigantic in first person.

The bad parts:
1. Different eyes will have different shadows. If you rotate the view, shadows change, I don't know what the hell is going on, but it's not really noticeable on a monitor, since it's minor enough and it's only one viewport, but that's ultimately a non issue because
2. You kinda should turn shadows and a bunch of other things off to keep a decent frame rate. I play on a 980Ti and I had to lower the resolution quite a bit even to get rid of all the stutters.
3. All the UI is at the wrong depth, I guess since it's just 2d windows and text plastered on the screen. As such, you have to turn off all the overhead names and poo poo, or you just feel like you're playing crosseyed, whether you're looking at the world or the UI.

Besides that, I did a quick trials roulette after setting all that up, got Shiva, it was a blast, but ultimately unplayable for anything even remotely hard because you have to turn too many UI things off. Worth trying once to stroll around though, IMO.

Zsinjeh posted:

Looks like Vive is launching their own store to compete with Steam and Oculus Home?

Why do some people just take money, and then burn it? Since it's not hardware exclusive, I don't really see an issue (there's tons of steam exclusive software too), but I don't see who's going to use this outside places where steam doesn't have a presence, and they already had this in China AFAIK, since they don't have steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this looks like it's for nongame "experiences" only, thank god