Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alder posted:

I read it. It's a good manga. Time to keep searching for horror by the same manga-ka.

Read Maneater next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gakkou Kaidan and Akumu Koushounin too, they mainly are a horror writer.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's still big boy season http://bato.to/reader#d8b12e62818d925b

Girls get you one.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I know that Yaoi/Shounen-ai is a little off-topic here, but shamefully I admit that I am... a fairly avid collector of manga within such genres. I recently counted my collection and it came out to be approximately 690 volumes, all of them exclusively within the genre of yaoi or shounen-ai, and all of in english and released in their American first editions, almost exclusively. The yaoi industry almost never does reprints, and some titles by defunct publishers only get reprinted illicitly because yaoi is a surprisingly lucrative business,

Point in fact: I sold about 10 volumes of yaoi manga on ebay last month, and it came out to over $500 (before ebay took their cut) which is kind of insane - 2 individual mangas sold for $75 in one instance, 5 of them sold for $150 in another. This stuff just has amazing secondary value, at least some of it (the good stuff that is sought after and especially the good stuff that had limited printing runs) not to mention aforementioned defunct publishers, not *all* of whom get illicit reprints like I mentioned - mostly thats BLU titles like Junjo Romantica which are still very popular. All I know is that the copies from Rightstuf look and feel brand new and have different card stock for the front and back, plus they are printed on entirely different paper stock with different ink.

But anyway, today is an awesome day because I am getting in the mail all the manga I ordered from a kickstarter fund done by Digital Manga Publishing's Juné/801 department to publish some borderline bara stuff by Sakira, which I was all for - they were also offering the remain back-copies of certain very rare manga which they still had certain copies of, and I managed to get my hands on some awesomely rare stuff for my collection that I only had to pay retail price for, rather than the $100+ that was offered (if you even found a copy which was often unlikely for some of this stuff).

And so today, all that stuff is coming. It completes my collection of the Yuki Shimizu manga 'Ze', which I've been waiting to finish since I got this volume - volume 6. I've only read the first 3 volumes of this 11 volumes series (which I've owned for over a year). I almost caved and decided to read it online, but I hung on. So that, several books here and there from writers I quite like who have overpriced or rare books released on DMG - one by Yaya Sakuragai, a couple by Kou Yoneda which I am *really* looking forward to reading, just some good stuff that I've been wanting to get my hands on, and haven't been able to come close to rationalize buying because I can only spend SO much on a single volume of manga. But this Kickstarter thing, I spent about $200+ on it in total, getting like 12 rare manga for $15 a pop, plus a deal on the 4 Bara titles by Sakira the Kickstarter was funding, and some fun goodies on top of that. I paid that back in.... January of this year, I believe, and the maga were supposed to come in April = June at the latest. But I figure when it comes to kickstart funding, actually getting your promised stuff only 3 months late is like amazing.

Except it is 3:30 and it hasn't come yet! Ahhhhh, I've waited months for this haul of rare manga, I only need wait a tiny bit more :(

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 28, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I am happy for you! Enjoy!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It is sort of silly to be this excited over it but, it's the long wait, I think :allears: Like Christmas

edit: It's here!! :swoon:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kaworu posted:

It is sort of silly to be this excited over it but, it's the long wait, I think :allears: Like Christmas

No, I was serious. It is nice to have that feeling of really looking forward to something like that.

I haven't felt it in a while!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kaworu posted:

edit: It's here!! :swoon:

congrats! My box came the other day, I was super excited to tear into it and also forgot that I ended up with a little bit of swag (because all I really wanted were the books) and was like well these prints are cool but wtf am I going to do with them??

The reprints of all that rare stuff was the best thing to come out of that kickstarter, I got several books I've always wanted a copy of but couldn't justify spending $100+ for.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also don't be ashamed to post about BL, there's quite a few people in the forum who like it and I think in general neoADTRW is pretty relaxed about it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all forms* of love are welcome here

*except those two. you know the ones

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

congrats! My box came the other day, I was super excited to tear into it and also forgot that I ended up with a little bit of swag (because all I really wanted were the books) and was like well these prints are cool but wtf am I going to do with them??

The reprints of all that rare stuff was the best thing to come out of that kickstarter, I got several books I've always wanted a copy of but couldn't justify spending $100+ for.

Yeah, it was pretty great wasn't it? Man, those Sakira books are... Wow, I forgot how intensely smutty bara really is! :stare: I am used to reading all this sensitive, wussy shounen-ai where often the biggest climax is a kiss - really, that sort of thing is usually what I go for.

It's funny because SuBLime is, in truth, the best publisher out there by far in terms of BL manga - which I suppose only means it's better than DMG/June whose output is meager at best when it comes to new material - plus they just lose their libre/biblios license, I think, who'll now be working just with Viz/SuBLime. Which may not be the *worst* thing.

Anyway, it's sort of funny - in the 6 months between placing that Kickstarter order and now, there are like, certain DMG titles I wish I had added to the list. For example, one of my favorite mangas is Only Serious About You by Asou Kai, and I didn't think she had released anything else, but it turns out that DMB also published a manga she did called 'Cool/Uncool' which I can only find for $60 at the cheapest right now. It was printed on the even-more-obscure "DokiDoki" label, which was a label that DMG used to release some REALLY high quality stuff.

Actually, about the DokiDoki label, the reason why it was so good was because it was created specifically for works licensed from the Japanese publishing Company Shinshokan, which does the magazines Wings'/Dear/Dear+ - which is sort of a range from shojo and very light shounen ai to more romantic and less explicit shounen ai/light yaoi. Thus, all the stuff released by DMG under 'DokiDoki' instead of 'June' just naturally tends to be better, less smutty, more interesting, more realistic, more character-based, etcetera. For example, several great to very good one-shots by one of my FAVE mangakas Taishi Zaou(AKA Mikiyo Tsuda) such as Mysterious Love, Electric Hands, Color (which was the first collaboration she did with Eiki Eiki, before Love Stage).

Don't get me wrong, not everything on DokiDoki is great - like everything with DMG its a mixed-bag. But as a label, it really is a pretty cool mix of shoujo and yaoi and sometimes you're really not sure which genre you're in when reading it - there are some titles that seem like yaoi but are actually just Shojo.

And just on a random note to finish off, I have to say that a pretty decent new series is being published by SuBLime that I have high hopes for, Ten Count, about a fellow with severe mysophobia and OCD and while, like any manga, it is a bit bumbling in terms of realism, it does resonate and it's pretty well done. If you're a big yaoi fan, then you shouldn't miss 'Don't be Cruel' by Yonezou Nekota, who has probably drawn more doujinshi than even she remembers or knows.

To be frank, when I read the first 20 pages of 'Don't be Cruel', I was honestly really turned off because it immediately used a REALLY predictable non-con plot device, and I tend to really kinda despise non-con, so I was super-bummed especially because it was a double-volume. But a friend told me to stick with it, and I admit that I'm very glad I did. Non-con is *not* a plot element at all going forward and the characters quickly grow past the cliche sketches from the first chapter (which admittedly is often the case as long-running manga often starts with a small one-shot and somehow goes from there). The manga stays explicit (in a pretty awesome way) throughout and both double volumes equate to just 800 pages of awesomeness so far, and I am hooked - even though I only just finished the first volume.

Anyway - I am just so psyched to finally read all of Ze - Yuki Shimizu is awesome and Love Mode, even with all its melodrama, is a bit of a classic. Ze is much more refined - I've heard people describe it as "the yaoi version of Fruits Basket" and in many ways, it is a lot like that. Though with very different plot devices and types of weirdness. And I got the second volume of 'Seven Day Series', which is a classic, though it is damnably misprinted as we were informed. Copy of volume 1 of Twittering Birds, too! Though I already had and sold one of those I bought on the cheap. Anyway.

I should stop - I truly could talk endlessly about yaoi. Again, my collection *now* would number over 700 volumes of English BL manga (and a bit of BL manwha) - I know I have at least a backlog of 100 volumes I haven't read, but some of this stuff is REALLY absurd and predictable and not-so-good, for real. Especially some of the stuff in my 'oversize' June collection, some of which was purchased in lots en-masse on ebay for quite cheap. I wound up with several copies of stuff like Sighing Kiss or The Art of Loving that way. Gawd, some of the titles! They get even worse, I ain't joking. Some are cool though.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 28, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's really interesting about the DokiDoki label, to be honest I haven't really paid much attention to who publishes what -- I mostly read stuff online and then seek out books when things are licensed (or when I can't find good scans of out of print stuff). I also like being able to buy digital so my preference is for those 3.99 kindle editions or buying from emanga, since I don't have storage for tons and tons of print books so I limit those to titles I either can't get digitally or stuff I REALLY like.

I love Ten Count but hate to recommend it because it crosses so many taboo lines with the relationship dynamic. I'm a huge fan of Rihito Takurai though and I was very excited when it got picked up for a US release and already have my copy of the first book :toot: I had the same issues with Don't Be Cruel, the start of the relationship is purestrain yaoi tropes but once it moves past that it's so good and the art is way hot especially later on. I really like the side characters as well, Nemu's little college buddy is adorable and I hope he finds a nice guy soon :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kaworu posted:

So, I know that Yaoi/Shounen-ai is a little off-topic here

Unless you somehow found BL that isn't romance, BL definitely belongs in here.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

kaworu posted:

Actually, about the DokiDoki label, the reason why it was so good was because it was created specifically for works licensed from the Japanese publishing Company Shinshokan, which does the magazines Wings'/Dear/Dear+ - which is sort of a range from shojo and very light shounen ai to more romantic and less explicit shounen ai/light yaoi. Thus, all the stuff released by DMG under 'DokiDoki' instead of 'June' just naturally tends to be better, less smutty, more interesting, more realistic, more character-based, etcetera. For example, several great to very good one-shots by one of my FAVE mangakas Taishi Zaou(AKA Mikiyo Tsuda) such as Mysterious Love, Electric Hands, Color (which was the first collaboration she did with Eiki Eiki, before Love Stage).

This Doki Doki stuff was really interesting. I didn't read BL until relatively recently, so I had no idea. Dear+ tends to have pretty quality series.

For anyone else who loves Yamashita Tomoko, The Night Beyond the Tricorner Window v.3 comes out in November!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kusaru posted:

For anyone else who loves Yamashita Tomoko, The Night Beyond the Tricorner Window v.3 comes out in November!

yaaaay love this series, I was just checking the other day to see when the next book would be out

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tomari Ki by Harada, one of the one-shots out of the Henai collection, is translated now and it's cute :3:
A man is stabbed and left for dead in an alley, but he is saved by a young man who has a halo and wings who calls for an ambulance. Later, the boy appears at the man's front door and claims to be an angel with broken wings, and states that the only way for them to heal is to make people happy.

You can find it at the usual places to find that sort of thing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tomari Ki by Harada, one of the one-shots out of the Henai collection, is translated now and it's cute :3:
A man is stabbed and left for dead in an alley, but he is saved by a young man who has a halo and wings who calls for an ambulance. Later, the boy appears at the man's front door and claims to be an angel with broken wings, and states that the only way for them to heal is to make people happy.

You can find it at the usual places to find that sort of thing.

I think I already saw the live action adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nso9sDGkOdQ

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol Namaikizakari is just a straight up sports manga right now :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

lol Namaikizakari is just a straight up sports manga right now :allears:

Oh hey I was thinking of reading that once I am done with this hellish, all-consuming devil-paper is it any good?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

Oh hey I was thinking of reading that once I am done with this hellish, all-consuming devil-paper is it any good?

I like it! It's had some annoying moments because Yuki was super resistant to liking Naruse for a long time but her motivations for why she acts like that are generally consistent and make sense within her characterization. I think it also may be easier to read through a lot of the early parts when you aren't waiting on new chapters so that should benefit you. FYI the scans can be pretty rough. On the sports side it's fairly shallow but the basketball stuff is a solid b-plot and structuring the storyline around the team makes it a little different from the usual shoujo. It's one that I was reading for a while just because it was updating and it wasn't one of my favorites, but as the storyline developed I got a lot more invested in it and I think it definitely improves as it goes along.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Terper posted:

I'd say it's pretty good, yeah. The romance stalls in the beginning because the main character Yuki is really stubborn about her values/doesn't feel ready to get into a full relationship with Naruse (the younger main guy). That leads to some drama as you'd might expect.

The good flip side is that Yuki takes that same stubbornness and applies it into advancing the relationship once it's settled, and it's pretty :3: for everyone involved. The side characters are also entertaining.

Plus she's the manager of the basketball team, so you also get part of that sports manga fix on the side. Not that much, but it's something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm not expecting or even wanting Chihayafuru or Yona or whatever I just saw it and remembered it's been a long time since I had a fill of a really by the books, traditional, teeny shoujo and it looked like it fit the bill

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

I'm not expecting or even wanting Chihayafuru or Yona or whatever I just saw it and remembered it's been a long time since I had a fill of a really by the books, traditional, teeny shoujo and it looked like it fit the bill

it should scratch that itch for you then, I think it's a solid manga overall and if you aren't expecting anything mindblowing or groundbreaking it shouldn't disappoint.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So, I'm about 65ish chapters into Yandere Kanojo(less of the .5 chapters, more of the mainline ones as I've stuck to the main plot currently since it's rather jarring to swap back and forth during the current arc and then to goofy slapstick stuff repeatedly). My thoughts so far:

The drama going on currently is some heavy-rear end poo poo, jesus.

Anything to do with the main quartet, Mayami, gramps, Reina's folks etc is generally fantastic. Even the occasional twilight zoneclown chapter is generally entertaining in a what-if scenario. That Reina has grown as a person(not even mentioning Manabu) in a fairly short amount of time has been great to see. Manabu coming to terms with a lot of poo poo is really something I didn't expect to see in a 4koma romcom, but is welcome, since it gives him(and by association other characters) way more depth, again a rarity in a 4koma. Kuroko being Manabu's aunt, and straight up fuckin' DYING when they discovered her origin was, uh, not how I expected that little sideplot to wrap up.

Anything to do with the really awful gay chef, the janitor, and the student council president makes me want to stop reading the series, so I tend to just skip any chapter that looks like it'll be focusing on them because jesus, they're bad. The chef being all "I want to jam my dick in you" to every guy he meets feels like the textbook gay panic stereotypes in japan where being gay means you're a molester/people have to protect their bums from you. The SCP is a standard awfully implemented student council guy and all of his creepy shenanigans being allowed by the normally surprisingly reasonable principal is really strange. The janitor thankfully doesn't get much screentime(so far) but is another terrible stereotype and while it may just be the translation, the "oh god it's the tranny" freakouts from the characters is a bit unsettling even if she's eccentric.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't even remember the janitor's existence, so I don't think there's much screentime there.

The student council stuff gets prominent for a while but fortunately it's more of a student council penumbra surrounding an event rather than them actually being in the comic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It gets pretty tiresome trying to talk you off the ledge on series Invictus, whether it's this or Chihayafuru or March Comes in like a Lion, if you have to put in so many caveats it sounds like you should just drop it because you talk way more about your complaints than things you like about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not really, just giving my thoughts on the series as I read through it. I am enjoying the series, not really much to actively mention that isn't "man it sure was funny when Reina beat the poo poo outta those three stooges for the fifth time(and it actually was)" or "boy Manabu breaking the shorty's heart and Reina cheering her up was really well done", it's mostly one-off gags that don't usually warrant mentioning with anything more than "that was funny", but recurring characters that are actively terribly written will warrant criticism. Just because I used slightly more words to voice criticism of said characters doesn't mean I hate the series.

I dislike Chihayafuru because it is a sports series, and I dislike the shogi parts of March Lion for the same reason. It was easy to skip in March Lion, but not so in Chihayafuru, so I stuck with March and did not stick with Chihayafuru. There's no talking down from any proverbial cliffs here, man.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Any time you are skipping chapters you don't actually like what you are reading.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also instantly renders criticism invalid, since there is no telling how much you have skipped for any given series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're right! I don't like reading the stereotypical gay chef, or the sexual harassing student council, so I skip them and enjoy the rest. :)

Edit: just because you consider my criticism invalid doesn't mean I'm going to stop, sharky.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like to read only every fourth page of catch-22, for the same reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Glad we're on the same page.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really, just giving my thoughts on the series as I read through it. I am enjoying the series, not really much to actively mention that isn't "man it sure was funny when Reina beat the poo poo outta those three stooges for the fifth time(and it actually was)" or "boy Manabu breaking the shorty's heart and Reina cheering her up was really well done", it's mostly one-off gags that don't usually warrant mentioning with anything more than "that was funny", but recurring characters that are actively terribly written will warrant criticism. Just because I used slightly more words to voice criticism of said characters doesn't mean I hate the series.

I dislike Chihayafuru because it is a sports series, and I dislike the shogi parts of March Lion for the same reason. It was easy to skip in March Lion, but not so in Chihayafuru, so I stuck with March and did not stick with Chihayafuru. There's no talking down from any proverbial cliffs here, man.

If there's no way to talk you down from any of your opinions then the discussion ends up being rather one sided, don't you think.

Sharkopath posted:

Any time you are skipping chapters you don't actually like what you are reading.

Sharkopath posted:

Also instantly renders criticism invalid, since there is no telling how much you have skipped for any given series.

Just because I only started reading ippo 100 chapters ago doesn't make my criticisms of the current releases any less relevant. Of which I have none.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Colette receives divine protection.

Edit: Carol status, still the best

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 29, 2016

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That's really interesting about the DokiDoki label, to be honest I haven't really paid much attention to who publishes what -- I mostly read stuff online and then seek out books when things are licensed (or when I can't find good scans of out of print stuff). I also like being able to buy digital so my preference is for those 3.99 kindle editions or buying from emanga, since I don't have storage for tons and tons of print books so I limit those to titles I either can't get digitally or stuff I REALLY like.

I love Ten Count but hate to recommend it because it crosses so many taboo lines with the relationship dynamic. I'm a huge fan of Rihito Takurai though and I was very excited when it got picked up for a US release and already have my copy of the first book :toot: I had the same issues with Don't Be Cruel, the start of the relationship is purestrain yaoi tropes but once it moves past that it's so good and the art is way hot especially later on. I really like the side characters as well, Nemu's little college buddy is adorable and I hope he finds a nice guy soon :3:

You know, I bought and read the first volume of Ten Count and *really* liked it, so I just did something I *never* do basically, and I read ahead to the next volume a bit online. I am generally a hardcore purist about only reading manga in physical form, and I just, well, like having *something* to collect.., Anyway! I have to say, I'm surprised at how quickly it went to pseudo-non-con, but as a gay male, I will say this: while what Kurose is doing could certainly be regarded as "non-consensual" in a certain light, what *I* view Rihito Takurai as doing here is playing with the idea of "non-con" in a much, MUCH more sensitive and cerebral way than you usually see, and I just don't think it's truly rape, at least not how *I* read the scene(s).

In yaoi, non-con is either direct explicit rape with the seme just straight-up taking the uke by force (and some people get off on this) or it's the type where the seme rapes the uke and the uke winds up realizing that he likes it and his boyfriend raping him is an expression of love in actuality and it's some hosed up take on tsundere semes who go rape-crazy and then act nice and tell the uke its really true love. And *always* in these stories the seme is almost immediately having, like, full-on unprotected anal sex with the uke without lube and barely any foreplay within the first 20 pages. What I am describing is "bad yaoi" and there's a surprising amount of it - some of it isn't TOO bad, and some of it is worse.

But anyway - back to Ten Count. What's interesting is you have sexual tension and it being established that both characters like each other in the first volume - it's also very heavily implied that Shirotani, as someone suffering from OCD and mysophobia, would have a very difficult time with sexual intercourse, would never be able to initiate it himself, and probably has no sexual experience in his past other than probable sexual trauma at one point. But Kurose has a crush on him, and likes him, and finds all of this (and stuff like his scarred hands) to be a turn-on. So Kurose tells Shirotani in no uncertain terms that if they continue to hang out, he will try to initiate sex with Shirotani - which is what happens. And I don't think Shirotani directly tries to make Kurose stop at all - to the contrary, he puts himself in exactly the situation for Kurose to have intercourse intentionally with him. Kurose is *pushing* Shirotani and seeing if he's okay with *this*, or *that*, and frankly... Well, in terms of my own personal experience being a gay guy with mental illness problems, I find that there's some truth going on there with regard to how sex was initiated and went down in volume 2.

And here's the thing I find really interesting, cool, realistic, and in-character for Kurose as a sensitive guy. When he fools around with Kurose the first time, all he does is masturbate him through his pants and get him off without taking his clothes off, and doesn't even kiss him because he feels that might be too difficult for Shirotani to do. It's hard to look at that sequence as "rape". In their next sexual encounter, Kurose does remove Shirotani's clothes somewhat, but he still refrains from kissing him *or* trying to have any type of penetrative sex with Shirotani - not even oral. Instead, he gets them both off via frottage (not seen nearly often enough in yaoi and lovely good fun in the bedroom, look it up if you don't know what it means) and that's, well, a very gentle and non-invasive way to have intercourse with someone.

I mean, in any typical yaoi, the seme would have violated the uke's butt half a dozen times by the end of the second volume - see 'Don't Be Cruel' for a typical example, and that's not even a bad yaoi manga! I could also see an editor/publisher telling Rihito Takarai: "this is moving too slow and you HAVE to put a sex scene in the next chapter" and her doing the best she could with the characters. But who knows. I have no clue what happens in the following 3 or 4 volumes, and I want to wait and read the official versions (because frankly the scanlations are inconsistent and pretty crappy).

But one annoying yaoi trope DOES show up here - the whole idea that once a guy gets a hard-on, it won't go away unless it is "taken care of". This shows up a lot in yaoi (and a couple times I think in volume 2 of Ten Count) and it is...Well, I mean, there is SOME truth there, but it's a pretty silly notion because oftentimes hard-ons just come and go and it's not like they're SERIOUS EMERGENCIES. On the other hand, I've had experiences where just talking and fooling around a bit with a boyfriend or someone in public and things just get a bit out of hand and, uh, you just feel like you very much NEED to take care of it. So I sort of get it. But it's still a bit of a silly trope.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Today in Magan&Danai
Baby why don't you just beat me... Usually baby cheers up after beating me...
:stare:

EDIT: also, I agree, Carol is the best

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've been following Rihito's work for while and a huge factor of Ten Count is the power dynamics b/t a doctor and his patient (the same reason I dislike boss/employee and teacher/student stories). It feels a bit sketchy since Shirotani agreed to get treatment for his mysophobia at his office. I'd be fine if they met in a different context but not a huge fan of this particular setting.

Yes, I know BL =/= real life.

Eh, most of the BL I read is online because storage and money issues. Also judgmental family/friends who aren't into the community so it's the same with anime/manga hobbies.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In today's Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To: being Fujiwara is suffering.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I've been following Rihito's work for while and a huge factor of Ten Count is the power dynamics b/t a doctor and his patient (the same reason I dislike boss/employee and teacher/student stories). It feels a bit sketchy since Shirotani agreed to get treatment for his mysophobia at his office. I'd be fine if they met in a different context but not a huge fan of this particular setting.

That was the main thing I was referencing in regard to the taboo lines it crosses, I know a lot of folks have issues with power dynamics in relationships and even when the consent is fairly straightforward when you're dealing with a person of greater power/status/age making advances on a person in a lesser position it tends to be the kind of trigger I'd rather not set off with a questionable recommendation :v:

e: there's a new chapter of Mad Cinderella; I'm so sad there's 5+ volumes of this and only one available in English but at least it's getting chapters translated every now and then

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That was the main thing I was referencing in regard to the taboo lines it crosses, I know a lot of folks have issues with power dynamics in relationships and even when the consent is fairly straightforward when you're dealing with a person of greater power/status/age making advances on a person in a lesser position it tends to be the kind of trigger I'd rather not set off with a questionable recommendation :v:

I completely agree with this. But I just think it would be unfair to group the work she's doing in that series (at least based on the first 2 volumes I read) with other yaoi that would be questionable to recommend because it includes non-con.

Like, here - let's take a *really* prominent example with Ayano Yamane's FINDER, which is generally pretty well regarded in the yaoi community - I have to admit that I have yet to read past volume 1 and some of volume 2, and hey - maybe I'm totally missing out. I've certainly made money buying copies of the series on the cheap and selling them on ebay with like a 400% markup so I like the series in that regard - somebody maybe I'll actually read it and sell the mint collection I keep for my personal collection. But there was nothing subtle about the non-con I saw in FINDER. There is nothing sensitive about it, and *nothing* delicate about it. And... Well, it was all just very unsubtle; I just cannot get the image of the film canister getting pushed up the uke's rear end out of my mind while our detached and cool seme grins *shudder*. Stuff like *that* is uh... very difficult for me to get past. I keep it in my collection because, well, it's a part of yaoi history that was licensed and released (and now discontinued since Libre broke off their licenses with DMG and switched full-time to SuBLime) so unless someone decides to start reprinting it illegally (like someone did with BLU and Junjo) then ideally they'll just gain in value over the years since they won't be being re-printed anymore.

But anyway! You can't even *compare* what happens in Ten Count to FINDER, especially given the near-unprecedented "restraint" that Kurose actually seems to show - relative to the tropes of yaoi manga! That is key to my prior point not being taken incorrectly. But all of that being said, it is *not* something I would recommend to someone new to yaoi - now that I have read volume 2. With volume 1, you wouldn't even know!

To someone who is new and nervous to yaoi/shounen ai, I might recommend something with a very soft entry. No. 6 would be a good long series to recommend to someone which is a pretty cool story that happens to contain shounen ai in it. Or maybe for someone who wanted to read some good legit yaoi, I'd recommend maybe something by Kou Yoneda (probably not Twittering Birds, though). All things being equal, what she does is pretty amazing and has little to nothing to do with the cliches of yaoi, for the most part. Or maybe depending on the person I'd recommend "What did you Eat Yesterday?" by the venerable Fumi Yoshinaga, which is totally great and even moreso than anything else I've mentioned the "yaoi" part of it, if you even want to call it that, is often fairly incidental to the stories - which is kind of an amazingly cool thing for such a prolific yaoi writer like her to do.

Alder posted:

Yes, I know BL =/= real life.

Eh, most of the BL I read is online because storage and money issues. Also judgmental family/friends who aren't into the community so it's the same with anime/manga hobbies.

Well, I definitely agree with you that the student/teacher trope which is constantly used REALLY grosses (i refuse to use the word squick in earnest) the hell out of me too, for some reason especially when it's the student raping and blackmailing the teacher. It always seems totally hosed up and out-and-out wrong in not-very-fun ways. I actually have not encountered too many hosed up boss/employee ones, most workplace stuff doesn't seem too power-dynamic-y in that sense to me, anyway. But I might just not have read the same stuff!

But actually, technically, you know they do not meet as patient/doctor. Kurose awkwardly takes pains to try to *not* be his doctor while still essentially being his doctor... which is, well, interesting to me. Where that line between lover and doctor crosses. As someone with serious anxiety disorders and PTSD who dated a psychiatrist for 2 years, I find it *particularly* interesting, to be frank, though there are obviously some pretty drat huge differences - like he never, ever tried to be my psychiatrist (I already had one) nor did he ever question her judgement on medication, or talk to me like a patient. I mean, I was his refuge from all that - the pretty boy to come home to and cuddle with and such. But that's another story!

But anyway, yeah, if you read you'll see that Shirotani never goes to Kurose's office and technically never becomes a patient there. While Shirotani is cruising by the place and trying to get up the strength to go in, he is intercepted by Kurose (who is on his day off). Kurose talks about how difficult it is to actually enter a clinic but compliments for getting this far, and offers to go to a cafe and talk. Which is where they agree to be "friends" according to Kurose, in return for Kurose helping Shirotani do this exposure therapy for free (otherwise this sort of therapy would cost money I assume).

So that's a pretty interesting set-up, really - definitely not a doctor and his patient, really. Not that it excuses how Kurose behaves. It's all an interesting set-up to me, though, but it really honestly may be because of personal reasons now that I think about it :(