Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Rise From The Ashes was way too long but hot drat if it isn't a magnificent case overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
1-5 is IMO the best non-investigations case in the series, though I'm only at the start of 6-3

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I know I'm late to the party, but I just finished AA6 and I'd like to share some thoughts on the game. I'm sure everyone's raked every case over the coals, so I want to talk about something a little different: the breakdown animations.

One of the real hallmarks of the series is that, when you find the real criminal and you get him or her to confess, they go through a hectic, fast-paced panic as they desperately try to assert their innocence. AA6's animations were really lacking, and sometimes I'd even feel bored halfway through them. When I think "Ace Attorney breakdown animations," I think of Kristoph becoming Literally Satan, or Matt Enguarde clawing his own face off, or the exorcism of Dahlia Hawthorne, or Marlon Rimes capsizing. In AA6, we have Geiru snapping her suspenders and Ga'ran doing a weird dance.

AA6 started using their 3D models for a lot more active animations, such as draining the Founder's Orb and the video recordings of Trucy and Bonny. But the problem with taking this art direction is that, they're kind of locking themselves into this "realistic" (relatively, anyway) animation form, which doesn't allow for the more intense breakdowns the series is known for. The sprites in AA 1 through 4 didn't have that obstacle and they were forced into conveying as much emotion in as short amount of time as possible because of hardware limitations (harddrive space and resolution, in particular)

The fact that they switched to models wasn't even a problem in AA5; L'Belle's and Aristotle Means' breakdowns are good examples of having the best of both worlds, and Marlon Rimes had one of the most creative ones ever. The new art direction gave us Tah'rust and Bah'leeb's breakdown, which was beautiful and heart-rending, but it also forced Geiru's and Paul's, which were tame at best and confusing at worst. With a character design and a personality like Ga'rans, I had expected her to burst into flames or something, not... what we got.

Honestly, it's a necessary evil. If I had to chose between the short cutscenes sprinkled throughout the game and the classic breakdowns, I'd choose the cutscenes. But after five games, eight if you count Investigations 1 and 2 and Professor Layton, seeing the criminal do something wacky-zany when they know they've lost has become something of a staple of the series, and I can't help but feel a little letdown when the case doesn't end with someone bashing their head against the wall for all eternity.

Man, that was four paragraphs about something that basically doesn't matter! The game's great, would recommend.

e: also, would anyone happen to know the name of the song that plays in case 5 when Apollo realizes that Dhurke's been dead the whole time?

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 29, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but I just finished AA6 and I'd like to share some thoughts on the game. I'm sure everyone's raked every case over the coals, so I want to talk about something a little different: the breakdown animations.

I know it hardly makes up for the rest of them if you thought they were all lacking, but you didn't mention (Case 2) Retinz's breakdown, which I thought was amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This Butler guy looks like Sephiroth and Aerith had a kid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maple Leaf posted:

One of the real hallmarks of the series is that, when you find the real criminal and you get him or her to confess, they go through a hectic, fast-paced panic as they desperately try to assert their innocence. AA6's animations were really lacking, and sometimes I'd even feel bored halfway through them. When I think "Ace Attorney breakdown animations," I think of Klavier becoming Literally Satan, or Matt Enguarde clawing his own face off, or the exorcism of Dahlia Hawthorne, or Marlon Rimes capsizing. In AA6, we have Geiru snapping her suspenders and Ga'ran doing a weird dance.

AA6 started using their 3D models for a lot more active animations, such as draining the Founder's Orb and the video recordings of Trucy and Bonny. But the problem with taking this art direction is that, they're kind of locking themselves into this "realistic" (relatively, anyway) animation form, which doesn't allow for the more intense breakdowns the series is known for. The sprites in AA 1 through 4 didn't have that obstacle and they were forced into conveying as much emotion in as short amount of time as possible because of hardware limitations (harddrive space and resolution, in particular)

The fact that they switched to models wasn't even a problem in AA5; L'Belle's and Aristotle Means' breakdowns are good examples of having the best of both worlds, and Marlon Rimes had one of the most creative ones ever. The new art direction gave us Tah'rust and Bah'leeb's breakdown, which was beautiful and heart-rending, but it also forced Geiru's and Paul's, which were tame at best and confusing at worst. With a character design and a personality like Ga'rans, I had expected her to burst into flames or something, not... what we got.

Honestly, it's a necessary evil. If I had to chose between the short cutscenes sprinkled throughout the game and the classic breakdowns, I'd choose the cutscenes. But after five games, eight if you count Investigations 1 and 2 and Professor Layton, seeing the criminal do something wacky-zany when they know they've lost has become something of a staple of the series, and I can't help but feel a little letdown when the case doesn't end with someone bashing their head against the wall for all eternity.

Man, that was four paragraphs about something that basically doesn't matter! The game's great, would recommend.

e: also, would anyone happen to know the name of the song that plays in case 5 when Apollo realizes that Dhurke's been dead the whole time?

This is an art and animation problem, yes. I personally feel like they just didn't do a particularly good job with most of the breakdowns thus game, since last game they were perfectly fine, and Retinz's is still good despite being mocapped. They're just kinda duds this time around, sadly, but the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm very alone in this, probably, but I've always kind of disliked the extreme over-the-topness of breakdowns. In fact, I dislike the fact that we can even define such a thing as a breakdown. Does it have to be so formulaic that once you get to the end everyone does a big ol' freakout (yes this, doesn't actually always happen)? I feel like they mostly manage to ruin the tension of the finale with their goofiness most of the time. Stuff like Daryan Crescend doing... something (?) with his hair just reads to me like "Well, we needed an animation for this because it's what happens at the end, and this is the best we could come up with. Welp." Really, if it doesn't feel natural for the character to be doing something weird and over the top, it'd be fine if they just, I don't know, expressed their disappointment through dialogue. But they're locked in now, they can't stop doing them or people will be disappointed, so oh well.

Oh yeah, and this is the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L29-dbnY7k

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the breakdown at the end of 1-3 for precisely your complaints

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What was Edgeworth's reason for choosing death before Rise from the Ashes was made, anyway?

It went from Phoenix clearing Edgeworth of his father's murder to "Thanks, Wright. Going to kill myself now. ttyl".

I guess that's why they went back and added the case.

He spent most of his life going against his father's legacy at the hands of the man who turned out to have orchestrated the whole thing and was just using Miles as a pawn in a supremely hosed revenge scheme. Then he gets betrayed by said evil mentor and gets a taste of von Karma justice. Then he realizes that he's doled out the exact same thing to possibly hundreds of innocent people.

That messes up a boy way badder than anything that happened to him in 1-5.

Maple Leaf posted:

A Cornered Heart

smenj posted:

I know it hardly makes up for the rest of them if you thought they were all lacking, but you didn't mention (Case 2) Retinz's breakdown, which I thought was amazing.

Well, everything about Retinz is amazing so that almost goes without saying.

E: 1-3 is also a solid breakdown.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the DLC case. It's not among my favorites in the series (or even this game which had some really awesome ones) and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to AA5's DLC but it was still pretty good.

My main complaints with it was that the villain wasn't very interesting and there was no big moment of realization, just a kind of methodical working through the case. It still felt satisfying in the end but it wasn't as thrilling as the best cases are.

That said, the characters aside from Pierce were awesome. I loved Ellen and Sorin. Ellen's animations were fantastic, and Sorin's goddamn badass. I'm glad they got such a happy ending, and the final animation to close it out was very funny.

Always glad for more Ace Attorney and now it's time to be sad for a few years as we wait for more. :smith:

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Kajeesus posted:

A Cornered Heart

No, this isn't what I was thinking of. Thanks to AA's new "skip to chapter" feature when replaying a case, I just went back to the point and ripped it myself. It's not much of a song, it's only got 8 measures total so I can see why it might be a bit tougher to find. This is the song I was thinking of. There are no spoilers in the music or in the song title, but, you know, exercise caution and all that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. A friend of mine argued that Rise from the Ashes actually made his departure lamer, because finding out the institution you work for is hosed up and corrupt isn't really as big a deal as finding out your entire life has been wrong.

Him going "Well thanks for helping me, now I'm going to go kill myself" has a lot less bite when he doesn't go do it and instead sticks around just to say the same thing to Phoenix again in case 5. Like, Edgeworth had already come to this conclusion, he didn't really need more proof.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Maple Leaf posted:

post about breakdowns

Yeah, but what about (6-5 first half spoilers) Paul Atishon? He finally lived his dream, but only for a moment!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
(6-5 Part 1) Paul Atishon has one of the best breakdowns in the whole series, probably the best as far as I'm concerned

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The best breakdown in the series is the finale of Justice For All, because it's not only incredibly satisfying and funny (especially if you choose not guilty), it also makes you go "Ohhhhh that's how he got that!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Yeah, but what about (6-5 first half spoilers) Paul Atishon? He finally lived his dream, but only for a moment!

He mentions that in his post.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Electric Phantasm posted:

He mentions that in his post.

Whoops! :v:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
6-6 trial day 1

LARRY I HATE YOU SO MUCH

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

all remixes of apollo's theme are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ABpHTarEU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Larry's big problem is the walkback. In the first game, while he is a big dumb loser, he doesn't really cause that much trouble and ends up helping you save Edgeworth. In his next appearance he's way more annoying and constantly gets in your way, actively fighting against your attempts to solve cases and loving up like it's his life's goal. But it feels like by the end of AA3, he really has learned from what's happened and been inspired by 'Elise' into rethinking his life somewhat. He's finally ready to grow up.

But then when he shows up again in AAI and AAI-2, he's as bad as ever. What was once lovable quirks have just devolved into being obnoxious irredeemable flaws, and all his character progression just goes down the drain. And it's the same in 6-6. The new team seems to be in love with the version of Larry from the early parts of AA3, rather than the one he was by the end of it, or even the more benign one from AA1. And that's just such a caricature of a person that it's really hard to like him.

It's a bit like how Gumshoe is so stupid in Ace Attorney Investigations that he's downright useless.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Larry had one game of being alright and then in every other appearance he's been bad. And he just keeps showing up. I don't know why they keep bringing him back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When something smells....

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Maybe we should be nicer to Larry Butz

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Larry owns and if you hate Larry you're bad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Larry

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like Larry because of Edgeworth's reaction whenever it turns out he's involved in a case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pity Lawrence Butz.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Edgeworth calling Larry a living contradiction is the most accurate statement ever made in these games

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Larry is actually quite successful outside of what you see in the games as an artist, it's just his personality hasn't changed a bit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've caught like a dozen paper airplanes. What am I supposed to be showing this idiot, I swear I've gone through everything and Phoenix is saying I haven't.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Lateish DLC: I am stuck at the part where you get the guy to issue three statements

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Question about the very end of case 5:

Why make Rayfah the new queen and not just reinstate Amara, a former queen who seems much more qualified, especially since they said she would recover from her wound???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why make Rayfah the new queen and not just reinstate Amara, a former queen who seems much more qualified, especially since they said she would recover from her wound???

Because Rayfa is way cooler.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Centzon Totochtin posted:

She didn't wanna.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Here's a neat thing. Objectionable! is a font pack that allows you to emulate speech bubbles with some Photoshop skills!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Pastrymancy posted:

Lateish DLC: I am stuck at the part where you get the guy to issue three statements

A hint: If you haven't already realized it, you can have all 3 options' testimony added.

Bigger hint: What do you think is most important to figure out at this point? First two options point to motive. The last to his alibi.

Biggest hint: You want to present the reception picture with the fog on the 3rd added testimony.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC

I wonder if Phoenix really could care less that Ema prefers Edgeworth or if it's a typo...

e: oh apparently Maya follows it up. Still a bit obtuse wording overall

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm beginning to feel like I didn't appreciate the DLC case in Dual Destinies enough

I mean Phoenix referenced Sharknado of all things.

Halfway through the DLC case for this game and it's okay. Just OK.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC

"Detective Gumshoe! Can't forget him."
Hasn't been in two games.

gently caress yaself Capcom. Bring back Gumshoe!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and there's also the question of "How many innocent people did I send to death with my ruthlessness?"

Well a certain (case 5 spoiler) sad monk did the exact same thing and now he apparently gets to be regent of a country without being held accountable for any of the poo poo he did. Certainly it appears to pay off to be a tremendous rear end in a top hat.