Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I've had the opposite reactions. I've taught three people with one Xwing vs two TIES and all three liked how the simplicity let them grasp the basic mechanics without throwing extra stuff on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Four TIE Fighters and two X-Wings with mods is good fun for newbies. The experienced teacher plays the evil TIE swarm of generics, while the glorious newbie is fielding two of the coolest pilots ever, Wedge and Luke.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Alternatively, if someone was a fan of Lucasarts' seminal 1994 space sim TIE Fighter have them run as a fully loaded Maarek Stele in his TIE Defender against a couple of Rookie Pilot X-Wings.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Making Whisper blank out all four dice against three hits is a skill right? That's something I can learn to do consistently?

I beat Whisper, Palp, Wampa and an Academy with my list. He had to split his fire so all three of my ships lived, barely.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Making Whisper blank out all four dice against three hits is a skill right? That's something I can learn to do consistently?

I beat Whisper, Palp, Wampa and an Academy with my list. He had to split his fire so all three of my ships lived, barely.

Today I had Carnor roll 5 blanks on green dice against Inqy that had rolled 2c 1h. Evade token'd and then took 2 crits. lol one of them wasn't direct hit but didn't matter because then Wampa.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I once had a cloaked Guri roll 4 blanks and 2 focuses (with no token, because she cloaked) against a 2 hit long range no-mod HLC from Dash. Autothrusters saved one, but it soured me on cloaking in general almost immediately.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Today I had Carnor roll 5 blanks on green dice against Inqy that had rolled 2c 1h. Evade token'd and then took 2 crits. lol one of them wasn't direct hit but didn't matter because then Wampa.

I've seen a HWK get a primary hit at range three, through a rock, against a cloaked ship. It was dirty.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So how did you fly your 2 ARCs and 1 Xwing list? As a pack or did you split them up?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Getting a decimator from the Barnes and noble sale. The rest of the empire stuff I have is various ties

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One of my local b&n's doesnt stock x-wing, the other has a ton o poo poo, sitting there full retail as ever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyonero posted:

So how did you fly your 2 ARCs and 1 Xwing list? As a pack or did you split them up?

I kept them together until the joust. Wedge and Shara turned towards the shuttle while Norra blew the Academy out. Wampa was left at one hull and limped away, never to be relevant the rest of the game.

Keeping them close together is the key. While Norra can activate her own ability, if you roll two blanks and a hit like I did, you're going to spend the lock on rerolling instead of adding an eye, generally. Shara will probably be rolling her shots without mods besides the Tail Gunner but that's OK; Wedge and Norra will make better use of it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

I've had the opposite reactions. I've taught three people with one Xwing vs two TIES and all three liked how the simplicity let them grasp the basic mechanics without throwing extra stuff on top.

Yeah I just would add I find 4 TIEs 2 Xs better for match length sake. With 1 X there's a chance it gets smoked in a couple rounds of exchanged fire and it's not satisfying. Or you can teach the game to more people at once by dividing the ship controls among teammates - this game is a blast with a friend with whom to consult on planned maneuvering.

Otisburg posted:

One of my local b&n's doesnt stock x-wing, the other has a ton o poo poo, sitting there full retail as ever.

I'm wondering about this. A local Target put all its X Wing on clearance. And I've seen B&Ns both with and without stock too. Are Targets nationwide dumping it or just mine?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Nationwide. Ours went on clearance a couple months ago.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Putting together some 60 point lists for some quick games we're doing tomorrow after work. I'm trying out the Wave 9 ships and trying to build a list around 'em.

============
Quickdraw 60
============

60 points

Pilots
------

“Quickdraw” (30)
Special Forces TIE (29), Draw Their Fire (1), Collision Detector (0)

Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15) x 2

=======
Scum 60
=======

60 points

Pilots
------

Kavil (30)
Y-Wing (24), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Old Teroch (30)
Protectorate Starfighter (26), Fearlessness (1), Concord Dawn Protector (1), Autothrusters (2)

===========
Rebels 60pt
===========

60 points

Pilots
------

Biggs Darklighter (28)
X-Wing (25), R2-F2 (3)

Norra Wexley (32)
ARC-170 (29), BB-8 (2), Adaptability (0), Nien Nunb (1), Alliance Overhaul (0)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Quickdraw with Draw Their Fire is loving brilliant and I hate you for figuring it out before I did.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I still like Rage but that is very clever, especially with how imp aces already gently caress with targeting priorities.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm not sure DTF is actually all that good on Quickdraw. It's only going to be useful when your opponent decides its useful. That's on par with Dead Man's Switch, which is pretty bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Eh. They shoot QD, he shoots them. They shoot someone else, he shoots them.

It makes sense, but Rage is just better. And cheaper.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If Biggs had never defected, it might be a really potent combo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It means he doesn't have to take baffles or get shot or fly into a rock to trigger his ability. You can take Fire Control system instead, or Advanced Sensors.

I don't really like Baffles on something so fragile in the first place, so this is a win-win.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
QD with Lone Wolf is sorta a bootleg Dengar.
Gets the defensive reroll, and if an attack ends up coming through you get to shoot back

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Man, no sign of anything for Force Friday still :(

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It's kinda cool if you fly next to omega leader, because you usually want to take any unlocked shots on OL you can get, perhaps one of the very few cases where splitting fire makes sense.

I've been having fun with this Tie allstars list.

TIE/FO Fighter: •"Omega Leader" (26)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (19)
Crack Shot (1)

TIE/FO Fighter: •Zeta Leader (21)
Crack Shot (1)

TIE Fighter: •"Scourge" (18)
Crack Shot (1)

TIE Fighter: •"Wampa" (14)

Total: 98/100

Deploy OL as a flanker and joust with the 4 ties. You can almost always trade the aceswarm for the most dangerous enemy ships, aiming for a one on one with OL which is almost a foregone conclusion.

If the opponent makes the mistake of turning towards OL, he gets outta dodge and the tie swarm hits their flank and eats them up horribly quick. Destroyed a 7 tie swarm like this without even taking a single damage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DTF is a bad choice over literally any other EPT.

You'll only get use out of that EPT if someone shoots a ship that isn't QuickDraw *and* that shot includes a crit. You're putting the opportunity to utilize your EPT slot entirely into the opponent's hands.

The slot is too valuable to give the choice of when to use it over to your enemy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I feel like he's not Fel level "solved" as to EPT but having control over the trigger and mods on both/all four of your attcks with Rage is the best option. Yeah people will shoot at him to keep him from getting all four free shots, but the beauty of that is it means they are playing the no-win "who do I shoot first?" game Imps excell at and OL gets to close out the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you DTF with your Wangs, please use a protective sleeve.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The question is mostly: are you down with EPT?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you DTF with your Wangs, please use a protective sleeve.

I use mini Americans.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The question is mostly: are you down with EPT?

Sir, the odds are 17,632 to 1 that I am.

Chill la Chill posted:

I use mini Americans.

It's not the point value of your squad, it's how you use them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Surely they will have a new wang to preview today!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
What is the estimation of when HotR will be out?
I don't suppose there's much change HotR will release by a week from Sunday (Oct 9th) is it?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Foolster41 posted:

I don't suppose there's much change HotR will release by a week from Sunday (Oct 9th) is it?

1-2 weeks after the status page switches it from On The Boat to Shipping Now. The boat works in mysterious ways.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

Guesstimate for me is mid to late October.

Highly unlikely to be 9 October, because they release on a Thursday, it would have been off the boat by now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prob after worlds.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Whats the etiquette when it comes to checking distances or declaring actions? I've played plenty of non premeasure games, but things have felt much more loose in this game so far.

Do you need to declare a target before shooting, or can you check with your range gauge before choosing? Can you also use it for checking arcs at any time?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slandible posted:

Whats the etiquette when it comes to checking distances or declaring actions? I've played plenty of non premeasure games, but things have felt much more loose in this game so far.

Do you need to declare a target before shooting, or can you check with your range gauge before choosing? Can you also use it for checking arcs at any time?

So, for actions, the only time you can check range is if your action has a range component, like target lock. You choose the ship you want to TL, measure the range to it, and if you're in, you TL them, and if you're out, you can do something out. Other actions are similar if they have limitations. Otherwise, you cannot measure during the activation phase, nor can you place templates down without using them.

During the combat phase, you can check any range you want from the active ship.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'll add that if you have multiple ships with the same pilot skill, the one you measure from becomes active. So you can't measure from each of your ships and then decide who shoots.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So remember that I mentioned that my local gang is running a bracketed championship with 96 players?
The guy organizing it contacted FFG organized play and asked if they'd send some prize support.

They sent 32 copies of alt art Omega Ace and 4 copies of the plastic Biggs Gencon exclusive. Those Biggs cards have been going up for $150 on eBay :stare:

It pays to ask.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyonero posted:

I'll add that if you have multiple ships with the same pilot skill, the one you measure from becomes active. So you can't measure from each of your ships and then decide who shoots.

Also worth noting that you can check arc in the combat phase even if your active ship doesn't care about it - and you can measure to ships that are obviously un-shootable (e.g. behind you when you can only shoot in arc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Played around with my Shadowcaster tonight for the first time.

First thought: The title is great. Adding free tractor beam tokens makes the rest of your list hit that much harder. It pairs *really* well with other ships holding twin laser turrets.

Next thought: Asajj is the best of the pilots. Hands down. She's a really powerful piece of control tech. Ketsu's ability is nice, but too restrictive.

Third thought: I'm not sure it can be competitive at a tournament level. It can't match the burst damage of a jumpmaster, and has fewer answers to Palp Aces than a party bus, because the title is contingent on actually hitting with an attack. Asajj's extra stress punishes PTL aces, but given that x7 Defenders are the current hotness, it's not enough. It's at an awkward point level (approximately 50) that prevents you from pairing it with the current hotness.

• Locked thread