Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ookiimarukochan posted:

And you've just found out because it's your turn to go there and sort out the networking drops, right?

Goodness no, they wouldn't think of misusing his skills in such a horrific fashion.

He has to sort out the WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Mentoring one of my desktop guys and he is moving along well. I have opened his eyes to automation and just like everyone young person before him, he is now trying to change every god drat thing he comes across. Like, you didn't even know what powershell was two weeks ago, lets slow down on trying to reinvent the wheel.

What makes matters worse is that he is also a security major. This means he is paying special attention to security concerns (which for the most part I really like) but this has turned for the worse yesterday. We disagreed on security concern and instead of moving on he decided to go over my head and my bosses to an executive who doesn't know anything about IT and got him in a panic. All completely out of the blue and not within his normal behavior. My boss immediately prepared a box for me to deliver to him for his belongings but I was able to talk out of it after quite a bit of effort.

I have no clue what it is that causes new awakened IT minds to be so reckless.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sickening posted:

Mentoring one of my desktop guys and he is moving along well. I have opened his eyes to automation and just like everyone young person before him, he is now trying to change every god drat thing he comes across. Like, you didn't even know what powershell was two weeks ago, lets slow down on trying to reinvent the wheel.

What makes matters worse is that he is also a security major. This means he is paying special attention to security concerns (which for the most part I really like) but this has turned for the worse yesterday. We disagreed on security concern and instead of moving on he decided to go over my head and my bosses to an executive who doesn't know anything about IT and got him in a panic. All completely out of the blue and not within his normal behavior. My boss immediately prepared a box for me to deliver to him for his belongings but I was able to talk out of it after quite a bit of effort.

You've got to give him a beatdown so he understands how to play the game.

Not just for your sake, but for his. Knowing office politics is a vital skill.

Get him to sort some cables in a cupboard for a day or something.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

I'm so glad I worked next to an experienced gunslinger loose-lips type when I first started. At the same time of my awakening I had example after example of my boss telling him to shut the gently caress up and keep things closer to the chest because it's better for everybody. It helped to understand that the wise troubleshooting process is one that's totally invisible beyond "Complaint -> Solution".

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He just wants to prove that he can do something, youll break his soul soon enough with these two dreaded words: Change Management

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
https://twitter.com/kprnews/status/781519384657399808

Public radio :allears:

Please give them money so they can fix this!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There aren't even enough cables in those panels to account for such a goddamn mess. Love those jacks just hanging out all over.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm so glad I worked next to an experienced gunslinger loose-lips type when I first started. At the same time of my awakening I had example after example of my boss telling him to shut the gently caress up and keep things closer to the chest because it's better for everybody. It helped to understand that the wise troubleshooting process is one that's totally invisible beyond "Complaint -> Solution".

You also need to learn to lie just a little to your customers/clients/supported staff to keep them happy and calm. We sure as hell might not be certain when the outage will be restored, but our current eta is at time X, maybe, and we'll update that as it changes.

Alternatively; "Yes, we have an outage we're looking into that is likely affecting your service" *Sea of angry red in the alarm monitoring window*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not that bad. At least you could pull out a cable without dislodging a dozen others in the process.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

It's not just IT. I have experienced this everywhere. It's when people get just enough knowledge to have an answer and not know enough to know how wrong that answer is.

A few weeks ago, this conversation happened to me with a new sales guy:
:v: How could he NOT make this sale? They needed one! We should just go back and offer half off!
:eng101: Our markup is 12%
:v: Why does that even matter?!
:eng101: Because if we charge them a dollar, our costs are 88 cents on every dollar and we make 12 cents on that dollar, how much would we make if we sold it to him for 50 cents?
:v: 12 cents.
:eng99: No. We'd lose, as in 'pay actual money to give them this product', 38 cents. If you think that's a good way to run a business, I suggest you try it out on your own, first.
:v: Why does everyone say that??

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alternatively; "Yes, we have an outage we're looking into that is likely affecting your service" *Sea of angry red in the alarm monitoring window*

I find that my customers actually are easier to deal with if I tell them everything is down. It's amazing, if they think or know a problem only affects them they're crawling up my rear end for a fix, but if I say it's affecting all my customers they'll happily go away and wait patiently.

Even if it's not me, if it's an ISP issue for example. Single customer offline? Screaming at me to fix it. TWC has a major problem taking down the entire city? "Ok, I guess they're working on it."

As far as I can figure they just want to be confident that someone is working on the problem. If a large enough number of people are affected they know that poo poo has hit the fan and people are working their asses off to fix it, where if it's only them they feel they're being ignored unless they see someone actively working on it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's the "nobody cares about ME" syndrome. If the problem only effects that one person, they're confident nobody cares about the problem and it will never be fixed, leaving them to wallow in a pit of unproductive despair until they're fired for underperforming.

If the problem effects a C-Level somewhere everybody is confident every team resource is working on a solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love this place. Ticket comes in for a buggy script, open it up to take a look, spot this at the top of the file:

# @(#) resetuser 2.18 Delta: 94/07/25 17:02:51 Extraction 97/07/16 11:19:22 @(#)

:v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's a range of years I do not ever want to go back to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's the end of another quarter, and our Sales team has yet again failed to meet their goals.

Rather than owning that, as usual, they are spreading poo poo around, as usual. They're stringing customers and partners along for days or weeks, promising to get them help for this or that minor issue. As loving usual. Then when it reaches a head, they spray this bullshit all over senior management.

WE CANT SELL BECAUSE OUR poo poo IS BROKEN BLAH BLAH RAAAAAAGE

Every single one of these I've seen this week is a known, solved issue. We have KB articles about them. Public-facing even. Our support is well-versed in handling them. In at least one case, the program told them exactly what the problem was, but the sales guys told them not to do that because "it's wrong all the time". gently caress! NO IT ISN'T!

The only reason this has gone on for weeks is because they directed the customer away from the best way for them to get help. poo poo could have been solved in literally five minutes if they had just sent the guy to Support.

We have the goddamned process for a goddamned reason, you goddamned spoiled idiot children.

Words cannot express how much I hate this. It happens at the end of every loving quarter. I have spent more time today fielding inquiries from VPs and C-levels about minor, easily-fixable poo poo than on any number of far more important things.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 29, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao Google Apps is now called G Suite

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

:whatup:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ain't nuthin' but a G Suite baby, two colleagues on a doc collaboratin'

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

"Life is better when you find the G Suite"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Let me tell you where you can find your G Suite.

On males it will be located up your arse.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Google fgs just leave something alone for more than 2 seconds. Not everything needs rebranding or reinventing or mashing together.

---

STPMO: Be careful what you wish for when you say "if in any doubt over the validity of an email, please check with IT". Now literally every little message that makes it through the filter that is obviously spam/malware gets forwarded "is this legit, can I open it?"
I'm glad they're asking instead of just opening it and causing all sorts of trouble, but I do wish a little bit of common sense would come into it. So far there have not been any false positives, not a single one - literally, "if you have to ask, then yes, it's spam". I know you're desperate for sales and almost cream yourself when an email comes through saying "please open the attached RFQ!! Just click link for ditails!! example.com/rfq_19dj8x3.exe" or attach a password protected RTF and then give you the password in plaintext in the email body, but come on, just take a bit of a look at what they're doing and ask basic questions like "why would a customer possibly want to do this? Why would they password protect something and give the password in plain sight in the delivery mechanism? Why would an RFQ need to be put in an executable file, or a PDF that only has a link in it? Do we normally deal with customers who can barely spell and use about a thousand exclamation marks? Why would UPS be sending shipping bills to Sales instead of Despatch or Accounts?" come on, think it through.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We use smart cards to authenticate ourselves on the printers. The facility department manages the cards.. They give those cards to us. We then put the code of that smartcard into the users AD account. then we return the card to them.

I've written a script that you only need paste the code of the card, put in the users username or full name and it assigns the code to his account. Via Delegate Control, Facility's has the rights to change that attribute of an ad user account.
I packaged the powershell quest cmdlets into the script. So they just run the powershell script on their computer.
I've spoken with facilties about this and they are excited. they see this as an improvement.

I'm going on vacation today. i've been showing the my direct colleague how this works so they can support facilties if it doesn't work. i've shown them what can go wrong. I've even sent them a tutorial with screenshots detailing step by step how this all works and how they can fix the errors that I am anticipating that could happen.

Ive spoken with them today and no one has bothered to read it.
"oh I though it was your thing, you showed us that we aren't doing those anymore. I thought you would take care of it"

:argh:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sormus posted:

Let me tell you where you can find your G Suite.

On males it will be located up your arse.

:pervert:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
The performance and industry standard is to prefer BATCH processes to in-cursor processes for major CRUD operations, you troglodytes. :argh:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
My Google Apps account was free for ten users, I really hope my G Suite account stays the same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What I'd really like for google to do is offer a way to sever a google account from their google apps infrastructure. Seemed like a good idea once upon a time but I had no idea it was going to be a stay at hotel california.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Today? AT&T...

A few years ago one of our branches was forced onto UVerse. We received a letter in the mail stating legacy DSL was being discontinued and we had to switch. Called the number on the letter and scheduled the install.

Fast forward to today, we switched away to a different provider. Called ATT to cancel the Uverse. They asked for a security code and the answer to the security question. The problem being here that we were never asked to setup a security code or question and have no idea what that would be. The only other verification option they have is a callback, however the account also has no phone numbers on it. And they also had my name on the bill completely spelled wrong.

After several phone calls telling the agent this every time, they refused to do anything. Only option for cancellation was to show up at a ATT Uverse "store" and present 2 forms of ID. There are none of these stores anywhere in my area. And liklely wouldn't have mattered anyways since they have my name totally wrong.

So.. I registered the account online, which only required me to provide the account number and billing zip code. And guess what? It conveniently shows me the security code and answer to the security question inside the account profile! So much for account security....

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, client is being cheap on paying for SSO and is trying to do weird poo poo to get around implementing a good solution.

My favorite suggestion so far? Write a batch script that simulates key presses. Holy gently caress guys, can you just spend some goddamn money instead of trying to put seriously hacky poo poo in place.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
poo poo pissing me off less today:

Inventory. At least I can catch up on ScareTheater on YouTube while I'm filling out item numbers on the tags from corporate's system. :unsmith:

Slightly pissing me off: Cable management. It's a clusterfuck back there. Also we have 2 spare monitors but no extra ports on this HP POS. I wish I could have 2 so I could have NAV in one and QB in the other.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
i'd be pissed off about cramming all that poo poo onto one monitor mr. 1997

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One monitor is fine, as long as it's not a postage stamp.

The rise of 4k makes it even better, get a 30+ inch screen and sit fairly close to it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
A solo 4k would be fine, but I still have such a hard time giving up having 2 monitors. In the best desks I have ever sat at, there have been 3. It was heaven.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Pissing me off today, and forever. Level3.

DIA link goes down yesterday around 8pm. I'm at dinner, but I open a ticket, kind of forgot about it. Call at 11pm to ask for an escalation.

Wake up this morning, no escalation, no activity on the ticket. Call again, slightly more upset.

This is what the Level3 rep wrote in the tickets:

"Customer called in on their internal ticket number 4882. Their callback number is 360*******.
Customer called to advise that this circuit is down at this point because they are not able to use it. "

Well no poo poo lady.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

A solo 4k would be fine, but I still have such a hard time giving up having 2 monitors. In the best desks I have ever sat at, there have been 3. It was heaven.

I used to be all about the stack of monitors.. but then I got old or something and just don't give a poo poo anymore. This might have been aided by running OSX, its window management is pretty slick. Whenever I go back to a linux desktop I keep trying to make it behave like a mac.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh, loving ATT again..

Had 3 separate accounts to cancel. Their AVR is atrocious, it never sends you to the right place. Saying "cancellations" got me to a different place every time. Their retentions department are apparently all overseas call centers staffed with people who speak barely intelligible English. They repeat your entire account information no less than 3 times entirely in full. Hearing someone read off a list of 9+ phone numbers, 3 times, was not fun. Had to call back multiple times and go through the same bullshit because their systems apparently hang up on you after 5-10 minutes on hold.

And on top of it they try to sell you ATT cellphone service, offering to transfer the phone numbers you are canceling.

2 hours and 35 minutes later, it's finally done.

I hate telecom companies almost as much as I hate printers....

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 30, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

And on top of it they try to sell you ATT cellphone service, offering to transfer the phone numbers you are canceling.

As much as I hate AT&T they are the best out of all the companies I have to deal with.

They're always trying to push some new rate plan or something. What if I could save you $300 a month? Nothing to risk we won't extend your contract blah blah. We'll just put you in the 10,000 minute long distance group and you'll get a free iPad!

Nope.

You're not interested in saving money?

Why not?

Because every time you guys offer and we try, we're loving around with accounting for 2 months trying to get your actual advertised rate and figure out what numbers you guys didn't port over and what features we gained/lost then we do it again next month because none of the changes stuck.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I actually fielded a call from AT&T yesterday asking if the reason we switched away was high pricing.

A) We got bought out by a corporation 3 years ago; we are no longer an LLC, and
B) We've been with Comcast for years.

I just gave them the number for corporate :byewhore:

This will bite me when in 2 weeks, AT&T techs are here swapping everything out from Shitcast to AT&T. :eng99:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Still pissing me off: Level 3.

20 hours later after 4 calls and an email threatening to cancel our services a tech FINALLY picks up the loving ticket and has the gall to write:

"I have investigated the Level 3 portion of the network and I have found no issue. "

Yeah, it's a huge loving coincidence that I can ping the interface that's been down for 20 hours the minute you decided to investigate.

keep investigating rear end in a top hat.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Hey, client. You have four more terabytes of data to upload in this initial sync to Egnyte. The sync will be done in 18 days. I know this because I know how fast your upload speed is, and it cannot go faster. Meaning that the sync won't complete any faster, either.

Yes, I know you've already been waiting three weeks. That was the first four and a half terabytes, out of eight and a half. Do you know how much a terabyte is? A thousand gigabytes, or a million megabytes. It's loving huge. It's going to take a long time, so shut your goddamn trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MiniFoo posted:

Hey, client. You have four more terabytes of data to upload in this initial sync to Egnyte. The sync will be done in 18 days. I know this because I know how fast your upload speed is, and it cannot go faster. Meaning that the sync won't complete any faster, either.

Yes, I know you've already been waiting three weeks. That was the first four and a half terabytes, out of eight and a half. Do you know how much a terabyte is? A thousand gigabytes, or a million megabytes. It's loving huge. It's going to take a long time, so shut your goddamn trap.

But I want it NOWWWWWW!