Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Actually, the local and provincial governments made up the foreign investment boogieman to distract us from their nefarious scheme to artificially limit the supply of housing.

quote:

The foreign buyer issue is a misdirect; we must loosen housing supply
BRIAN LEE CROWLEY AND SEAN SPEER
Special to The Globe and Mail

Brian Lee Crowley is managing director and Sean Speer is a Munk senior fellow at the Macdonald-Laurier Institute.

The secret to most magic tricks is misdirection: The magician works tirelessly to make you look in one place while the trick is actually being accomplished elsewhere. Politicians in British Columbia, Ontario and Ottawa have been brushing up on their magic skills recently as they struggle to make us look in one direction – namely at foreigners – for the culprits behind the outsized house-price rises in metropolitan Toronto and Vancouver. The truth, however, is that those politicians have spent decades creating the conditions for out-of-control housing costs.

While they’re energetically drawing our attention to foreign purchasers with one hand, their other hand has been surreptitiously engaged in a campaign of provincial and local restrictions on the housing supply.

Housing affordability has rightly become one of the top policy issues facing the country. Median households must now dedicate 71.7 per cent and 119.7 per cent of their pretax incomes to own a single-family detached house in the Toronto and Vancouver areas, respectively. Taxes on foreign purchasers have already been enacted in British Columbia, and may be coming in Ontario in response.

Yet foreigners didn’t cause the number of single-family detached houses in the Vancouver area to remain essentially unchanged for the past quarter-century. Nor did they limit detached-house construction in the Toronto area in 2015 to its lowest level in 36 years. It’s time for politicians to own up to their role in pushing house prices out of reach for the middle class.

This is now a matter of national interest. Not only is home ownership positively associated with a raft of economic and social benefits that strengthen families, communities and the country, it’s a national imperative that affordable and responsible home ownership be available in Toronto and Vancouver.

These two centres are where virtually all the net job creation has occurred in Canada in recent years, and they are increasingly the apex of investment, innovation and middle-class opportunity. Unaffordable prices in these cities not only preclude low- and middle-income Canadians from climbing the economic ladder, but they also constrain the national economy.

The evidence that foreign investment is the key cause of rising prices is, to say the least, unconvincing. The same cannot be said for the role that poor government policy is playing to limit middle-class aspirations and constrain the economic potential of our major cities.

Present policies such as green belts and land reserves, exclusionary zoning and obstructive building and construction regulations are directly or indirectly designed to manage the housing supply – including the types of homes that are constructed. One can debate the utility of these “urban containment strategies,” but it’s not debatable that they’re making home ownership more difficult, rather than easier. A major body of research, including by Harvard economist Edward Glaeser, has shown that restrictive land-use regulations are a major impediment to housing supply and in turn drive up prices.

Just consider: B.C.’s Agricultural Land Reserve encompasses 20 per cent of the land in the Lower Mainland and is roughly the size of full countries such as Slovenia, Israel and the Bahamas, and twice as large as the amalgamated city of Toronto. Yet B.C.’s land reserve is largely off-limits for home building.

The question is: What can and should the federal government do about housing affordability challenges and the extent to which provincial and local policies are largely responsible?

The answer we offer in a new Macdonald-Laurier Institute study being released today is that Ottawa should use its spending programs to spur provinces and municipalities to stop obstructing housing supply, the rise of the middle class and the chief engines of growth in the country.

Ottawa’s new social housing and infrastructure funding to the provinces and cities should be conditional on liberalizing reforms to restrictive zoning and housing regulations.

Why reward provinces and municipalities with affordable housing and infrastructure funding if these same governments are impairing housing affordability and in turn undermining the national economy and middle-class aspirations?

Federal power should thus be used to catalyze reform to government-imposed barriers to affordable and responsible home ownership.

It would be an important step in delivering on Ottawa’s goals of inclusive growth and middle-class opportunity. And this starts by calling a halt to the provincial and municipal misdirection that has allowed this tired magic act to continue far too long.

:2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Femtosecond posted:

Actually, the local and provincial governments made up the foreign investment boogieman to distract us from their nefarious scheme to artificially limit the supply of housing.

This is the dumbest article I've ever seen on this subject.

Using the correlation between home ownership is positive social benefits as evidence for home ownership? Check.
Bald assumption that foreigners aren't the problem but supply is? Check.
Ignoring that housing far away from economic centers is not a replacement for closer housing? Check.

This is worse than a 6th grade report.

The Littlest Hobo
Dec 26, 2004

But what problem can't be solved by the free-market land developers and massive government subsidies.
:circlefap:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

The Littlest Hobo posted:

But what problem can't be solved by the free-market land developers and massive government subsidies.
:circlefap:

I'm the problem. [or was until I left that Wretched place]

You got a few thousand short time film workers bouncing around Vancouver on subsidized money, needing places to live. 1/3 of them are American, so they don't want to move all their poo poo up full time for a gig so they need someplace close to downtown. 1/3 of them are European and they want to live walking/biking distance to work. They all need rental units.

Tell me that isn't impacting housing.

I usually get insta-approved for a vancouver condo rental as soon as I tell them I'm from the US working on x film job and here's my contract + bank statement.

hosed up situation.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canada gets a lot of Saudi IMGs because med schools and hospitals want their sweet oil dollars but the problem is that they're incompetent and don't believe in women not being rape slaves so they don't mesh well with Canada's female dominated healthcare sector.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol this country can be made better by encouraging immigration from the KSA loool

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Femtosecond posted:

The Globe and Mail consistently has the most trash editorials that I've ever seen. At least rags like the Sun have actual arguments in their editorials; racist, NIMBY, or otherwise. G&M is always a bunch of hand-wringing that means nothing and not even an attempt at backing up their argument. Hmm the evidence for foreign buyers influencing prices in inconclusive? Oh thanks rightwing policy tank dickwad, I'll just take your word for it.

If one or more of a couple works downtown, moving to some new development in Caledon is going to result in a 1 hour commute at the best of times over 90 minutes in actual traffic. The problem is that current densification projects are not at all family friendly. Like I can live without a yard (in fact, not doing any lawn-mowing or snow shoveling sounds kinda great), but I don't want to squeeze a family of four into a two bedroom unit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/BizDatabase/status/781555090738057217?s=09

I have no idea what this means

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Peso's a garbage currency, this is like my Indian friends telling me that savings accounts in India pay 7% APY.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

The Peso's a garbage currency, this is like my Indian friends telling me that savings accounts in India pay 7% APY.

Barring routine devaluations, which I don't know enough about, 7% is still 7%, regardless of currencies.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I had a landlord once tell me not to bother with references because even if your a bad tenant the odds of getting a bad review are virtually nil, because landlords WANT bad tenants to move out.

The tenant's friends pretending to be a previous landlord aren't going to give them a bad review either.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

:If they actually enforce this, and that's a huge if given how little they enforce any housing-related bylaws in this city, this will be fantastic.

Meanwhile over at Reddit...

quote:

Why you should keep AirBnB'ing
submitted 3 hours ago by van_nong (CI's reddit trolling account spotted?)

It was always illegal and never enforced. City claims they are going to do random audits this time and if you get caught you get a warning.

Obviously you should keep renting illegally until you get a warning. If you ever get one.

We live in a city where large percentage of residents don't pay tax and are not investigated. In Vancouver, unless someone is hurt or killed actions have no consicuences. So do whatever you need to do to get a head because that is exactly what everyone else is doing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That person knows what's up. They dont' even enforce building codes because what if a developer sues? That might cost money! And that developer might not contribute to my campaign for council next election! Self-regulation will work in the construction industry because the market will not reward shoddy construction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm with that redditor. Besides, the BCLP has been clear that they adhere to an ideological regime where the government should know as little about your personal property as possible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was a group set up here a few weeks ago to report illegal airbnbs (we have strict zoning laws about what can and can't be rented nightly).

Already one property has been taken down and another have taken off the pictures of the front of their property, thinking that'll totally no longer make it identifiable at all. Bylaw here didn't give a poo poo either until people started emailing them the exact address and links of people doing it illegally. It's pretty easy to fine people when the work is pretty much done for you.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

This policy will not be effective unless Vancouver can get Airbnb to take down listings which don't feature business license information.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Peso lost a lot of value the past few days (like 7%) when weak productivity numbers came out of Mexico last week. This is just a central bank defending the currency. Also lol Canadian manufacturing competing agsinst the peso.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHU_KLYhibI

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/foreign-buyers-tax-too-little-too-late-vancouver-mayor-says/article32159046/

quote:

Foreign-buyers tax too little, too late, Vancouver mayor says

The B.C. government waited too long to crack down on soaring home prices in Vancouver, and middle-class families can now no longer afford a detached house in the city, Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson says.

The federal and provincial governments ignored the problem, which also affects the Toronto market, until Canada’s banks began to voice concern this year, he said in an interview with The Globe and Mail’s editorial board on Thursday.

“Middle-class Canadians being able to buy a house in Vancouver and Toronto, those days have probably passed because the interventions didn’t come,” he said.

Mr. Robertson was among those who had been telling federal and provincial policy-makers for years to do something to curb skyrocketing prices in Vancouver, now considered to be among the world’s most overvalued housing markets.

The issue finally reached a “breaking point” this year after the country’s banks also began to warn of the risks from soaring home prices, he said. “The dire warnings of the banks and financial institutions about the precipice that Vancouver or Toronto stand on with real estate and foreign investment have triggered waves of concern through the political ranks.”

While a crackdown on foreign buyers was not among the measures to cool the market that the Vancouver mayor had urged the B.C. government to consider, the province’s surprise introduction of a 15-per-cent tax on home purchases by foreign buyers in Metro Vancouver last month was long overdue, he said.

Home sales plunged 26 per cent in August from the same month last year, although prices remained steady. “The jury is still out on whether it will have the desired effect,” Mr. Robertson said. “Whether it was going too far is the big question. But we needed something to cool the market.”

He urged Ottawa to move quickly on other measures to ease Vancouver’s affordability crunch, such as providing support to build more rental housing, collecting more data on foreign investment in Canada’s real estate market and cracking down on speculators who avoid paying capital gains taxes on investment properties.

Mr. Robertson was in Toronto to attend a meeting of big city mayors to discuss solutions to the affordable housing crisis plaguing Canadian cities. He said he had “brief discussions” with Toronto Mayor John Tory over whether Ontario should follow B.C.’s move and tax foreign home buyers.

When it comes to home prices “Toronto has a little more breathing space, which is helpful,” he said. “But it also has some unique challenges. What works in Vancouver won’t necessarily work in Toronto.”

Mr. Tory, speaking at City Hall after meeting Mr. Robertson, said he will ask the provincial government to use data from the land-transfer tax to start keeping statistics on how many foreign buyers are snapping up single-family homes, as B.C. now does.

Ontario does not have this data, he said, and as a result, Toronto does not have a clear picture of the forces potentially driving up the city’s housing market.

“That information is not, to our knowledge, collected in Ontario,” Mr. Tory said. “And without it, we really can’t have an informed response as to whether measures, for example, similar to Vancouver’s as they regard single-family homes [are appropriate]. We don’t know.”

He said it is still too early to say whether a B.C.-style foreign-buyers’ tax would work in Toronto, but that he is watching the impact of that policy.

Both mayors are also looking at policies in cities, such as San Francisco and Hong Kong, that are similarly dealing with rising home prices and a suspected influx of foreign investment, Mr. Robertson said.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has said he will investigate how foreign investment is driving up his city’s real estate prices, a move Mr. Robertson is monitoring. “There’s a group of cities globally that are struggling with this challenge, and we’re all watching each other,” he said.

Vancouver is also exploring its own tools to address its housing issues. The city plans to begin taxing vacant homes next year as a way to help boost the supply of rental housing. Mr. Robertson has also proposed to offer $250-million worth of city-owned land for affordable housing if Ottawa helps pay for construction.

Those measures, along with support from Ottawa and the province, are crucial, he said. Vancouver is “right on that edge” of becoming a city like London, San Francisco or Hong Kong – too expensive for middle- and working-class people to live in.

“We’ve got to have other ways for Canadians to participate in the real estate market,” he said. “Young Canadians are being left behind right now. That’s a much bigger problem that we’re only beginning to grapple with.”

really mayor moonbeam?

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2015/05/14/vancouvers-problem-is-empty-homes-not-foreign-ownership-mayor-gregor-robertson.html

quote:

Vancouver’s problem is empty homes, not foreign ownership: Mayor Gregor Robertson

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson is getting a crash course in Vancouver’s housing market as he searches for a new home in a city struggling to keep a lid on escalating real estate prices.
“I’ve got my work cut out for me house hunting,” said Robertson, who sees no end in sight to the sellers’ market in a city where 52 per cent of residents rent and vacancy rates have plummeted to 0.5 per cent.
But the mayor blames empty homes and real estate speculation – not foreign ownership – for creating problems in Vancouver’s housing market.
The lack of affordable housing, whether it’s for people who are homeless or young professionals trying to stay in the city, is the top issue Vancouver faces in the upcoming year, Robertson said in a wide-ranging interview at Metro’s office with the editorial team on Thursday – and yes, the mayor arrived by bike. (He cycles in his suit, jacket off, tie loosened and pants tucked into his socks.)
“The city’s primary concern is around empty homes and market speculation skewing the prices. Foreign ownership is a separate issue, that’s not something that should be a big factor here,” Robertson said, adding he is concerned foreign ownership is a trigger for other issues.
Foreign ownership made headlines this week. Premier Christy Clark dismissed the idea of placing an additional tax on foreign buyers, yet an online petition calling for restrictions on foreign ownership in B.C. reached more than 21,000 signatures.
“We’ve welcomed immigrants as long as this city has been here,” Robertson said. “It’s a very inclusive and harmonious city of many cultures, and we want to continue ensuring that’s our strength and focusing on what the real problem is, which is vacancy and ensuring we get best use of the space we have.”
The city’s housing agency is trying to compile data on how many homes are vacant and how long they’ve been empty for, although Robertson said it would be ideal if the province would collect the data and show more leadership on the housing file.
If the city can create disincentives for people to leave their homes empty and incentives for them to rent their houses and condos, Robertson believes that would help boost vacancy rates and affordability by increasing the housing stock.
“If there’s no incentive to rent your empty place, people can sit on it as a business holding. That’s keeping people out of our city or preventing locals from staying, which just doesn’t make sense,” Robertson said. “If you want to hold a property empty, that’s a business decision and I believe it should cost more.”
Robertson sees empty homes changing the fabric of neighbourhoods across the city with fewer people around and fewer children in schools.
“Whether it’s high-end homes on the west side or condos downtown, it’s good for the city to use that space well and provide opportunities for people to live,” Robertson said.
London, New York, Paris, Vancouver, Toronto and Sydney are also facing this challenge of global investors parking money, Robertson added.
“We’ve become havens for safe real estate investment,” he said, adding buyers come from everywhere but most are from the U.S. and Asia.
“Here in Vancouver the core issue is empty homes when there’s no vacancy and people are having trouble finding a place to live.”
As for Robertson, he's looking around the city and he said he doesn't have a favourite hood.
"Vancouver has so many great neighbourhoods with different qualities... they’re all my favourite," he said with a laugh.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Barring routine devaluations, which I don't know enough about, 7% is still 7%, regardless of currencies.

7% sounds great until you learn inflation is 13% in country, dumbass.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/comment/blogs/article/1359229/vancouver-home-prices-are-ridiculous-unlike-concerns-about-mainland

quote:

There’s no better advertisement for Vancouver than mayor Gregor Bethune Robertson.
Like his city, Robertson is laid-back, generally scandal-free and extremely picturesque. Regarded as the most handsome politician in Canada, Robertson is testament to the rewards of clean living, having made a politically correct fortune with his Happy Planet organic juice brand.
In short: He’s no Rob Ford.

So it’s little surprise that Robertson turns out to be a pretty awesome diplomat, too. A relative of Chinese revolutionary hero Dr Norman Bethune, Robertson was in Hong Kong last week where he brushed off suggestions that mainland migration might be to blame for Vancouver’s stratospheric property prices. He told the SCMP the assertion was “ridiculous”, adding that mainlanders brought a “great influx of talent and culture”.

this was written in 2013 lmao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat Canadians love useless handsome politicians to run their poo poo into the ground while feeling good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahaha what kind of middle name is Bethune

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

God drat Canadians love useless handsome politicians to run their poo poo into the ground while feeling good.

What about Rob Ford?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
seriously you've never heard of norman bethune

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

seriously you've never heard of norman bethune

Not until just now, no. Colour me slightly more educated.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

namaste faggots posted:

I've never been turned down for a rental because I just give my landlord a copy of my pay stub and they're like yes pls

Also I've never given references lmao

Helps when half the city has unspoken "Chinese renters only" rules.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dear thread, if you don't know who Norman Bethune is please go look him up on wikipedia. tia

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
most handsome man on television

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toronto won't enact any kind of tax or cooling-off measure on home sales anytime soon. During the last and current administrations Toronto's long-term budgets were shifted more and more to rely on land transfer tax revenues. If those revenues ever go down, at all, there will be massive budget craters to fill.

Ohhhh, that's Norman Bethune? Yeah I've seen him on the news quite a bit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lobok posted:

Toronto won't enact any kind of tax or cooling-off measure on home sales anytime soon. During the last and current administrations Toronto's long-term budgets were shifted more and more to rely on land transfer tax revenues. If those revenues ever go down, at all, there will be massive budget craters to fill.

Ohhhh, that's Norman Bethune? Yeah I've seen him on the news quite a bit.

This is largely true. For instance the TPS wants another 75-100m per year to run the body camera program, and the TTC is constantly facing cutbacks because raising property taxes is akin to killing their grandmothers.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Dear thread, if you don't know who Norman Bethune is please go look him up on wikipedia. tia

Not proud that I looked it up.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Hal_2005 posted:

7% sounds great until you learn inflation is 13% in country, dumbass.

You do know you can put money in a bank in a foreign currency account, right? Like, you get good rates that way on, say, holding US dollars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

You do know you can put money in a bank in a foreign currency account, right? Like, you get good rates that way on, say, holding US dollars.

If this is true, then why aren't people putting their USD and/or CAD into Ukranian or Belarusian banks paying more than 10% interest on savings accounts?

Argentina's paying 22% interest on savings accounts!

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 30, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

If this is true, then why aren't people putting their USD and/or CAD into Ukranian or Belarusian banks paying more than 10% interest on savings accounts?
Would you feel safe knowing your savings are in the Greater Bank of Possibly Russian Territory in Five Years?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Twerk from Home posted:

This is literally a 2 hr economics lecture. Short version: If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. There are reasons not to.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

This is literally a 2 hr economics lecture. Short version: If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. There are reasons not to.

:ssh:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I dug deeper. Nobody's paying interest rates like that on USD, they're all for the local currency only. Many foreign banks do allow you to keep USD savings accounts, and they only pay 1.5-2% max that I've seen. This makes much more sense now.

I'd be comfortable with some real risk to get anybody paying me >20% on USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Look up the concept of devaluation.