Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
NDA's up! There should be a bunch of videos going up, even if Firaxis doesn't publish anything today.

I know quill18 is livestreaming, for one.

Some of the others going live:
Arumba's
Filthyrobot's

Youtube videos up:
Marbozir
quill18
Filthyrobot
Writing Bull (German language)
Drew Durnil (looking at the later game)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
They've been around for quite a while at least. I haven't read the Steam thread in years but I remember Bundle Stars getting talked about way back then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hogama posted:

NDA's up! There should be a bunch of videos going up, even if Firaxis doesn't publish anything today.

I know quill18 is livestreaming, for one.

Some of the others going live:
Arumba's
Filthyrobot's

Youtube videos up:
Marbozir
quill18
Filthyrobot
Writing Bull (German language)
Drew Durnil (looking at the later game)
:fap:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are those the whole game or just a hundred turns or so?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Are those the whole game or just a hundred turns or so?

Most of them are multi-part playthroughs with just the first part starting from the beginning out, but the copies they have aren't turn-limited. The Drew Durnil video has a look at the late game, for instance.

Here's a later game government screen.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Rock Paper Shotgun has a preview up as well:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/29/civilization-vi-brings-the-series-back-to-its-best/

The thing is basically one big love letter to the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looks like there's a bunch of bonuses for colonizing other continents, which should be fun. Containment is cool thematically. Also a policy that lets you build units with only 1 of a resource? :eyepop:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Any word yet if the ai diplomacy is functional in multiplayer? In 5 we just usually played with only humans but it would be nice to have some functioning ai from time to time

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Considering all the community effort it took to make the JDH mods and then roll it all into CBP, it would be foolish not to feature active AI in multiplayer.

The simple solution, of course, is to have leader's addressing you show up as clickable icons that you can address at your leisure. The complicated problem occurs when AI's attempt to make deals with multiple players a turn without having the resources to support all trades- which still occurred with JDH but ought to be easy to fix on the dev end.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

lagidnam posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun has a preview up as well:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/29/civilization-vi-brings-the-series-back-to-its-best/

The thing is basically one big love letter to the game.

I'm enthused that the guy has played 47 hours of the game, thinks Crusader Kings 2 is the best grand strategy game, and still thinks Civ 6 is excellent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sounds distinctly like someone at Firaxis had the Islamic Golden Age in mind when designing Arabia, which is a novel approach and quite a good one.

Yeah that's my feel, you get a faith explosion religion or not once you get universities, and a guaranteed prophet at some point, so once you do get your prophet you immediately enter an age where you have hopefully a bucket of faith built up and suddenly a bunch of religious stuff to spend it on.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Does settling new cities still increase science and culture policy costs in Civ 6? I see people talking about how amenities replaced the happiness system, and other restrictions on growth like increased settler costs and population caps, but nothing about what I found the most annoying barrier to expansion in CivV.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Does settling new cities still increase science and culture policy costs in Civ 6? I see people talking about how amenities replaced the happiness system, and other restrictions on growth like increased settler costs and population caps, but nothing about what I found the most annoying barrier to expansion in CivV.

That was actually slowing your expansion? It was trivial to make the new city pay its way.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah, Global happiness was a much bigger problem than the science/culture increase, unless you planned on making GBS threads out a bunch of cities that never grow past a population of 3.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Haven't noticed anything to the effect.

Capped the new agendas (whether they were mostly known before or not, there's also names to go with them).

Pericles

Mvemba a Nzinga

Harald Hardrada

Trajan

Tomyris

Philip II

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Gort posted:

I'm enthused that the guy has played 47 hours of the game, thinks Crusader Kings 2 is the best grand strategy game, and still thinks Civ 6 is excellent.

I'm not; it's clearly EU4 :colbert:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gort posted:

That was actually slowing your expansion? It was trivial to make the new city pay its way.

Sure, but from I understand, cities in 6 will be a lot more specialized. If I found a new city and it makes me science and culture costs increase but can't produce science or culture to make it up, then what?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Uh oh I'm getting my hopes up

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah, more than a little tempted to preorder (using the cheap link posted earlier that included Monty) at this point, just to play with my girlfriend on release day.

But SimCity is a thing that happened, and it poisoned me against preorders.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

JVNO posted:

Yeah, more than a little tempted to preorder (using the cheap link posted earlier that included Monty) at this point, just to play with my girlfriend on release day.

But SimCity is a thing that happened, and it poisoned me against preorders.
It's silly to compare the two when Civ 6 is being broadly shown off weeks before release.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
So will Harald just hate everyone on a pangea map?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DarthJeebus posted:

So will Harald just hate everyone on a pangea map?

:emo:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
As usual, Filthyrobot's videos are fantastic.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nukes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I look forward to having a 4000 year alliance with Scythia

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That Thermonuke :stare:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Gort posted:

Not always, because it's a percentage not a fixed cost. Which means the later you are in the game the more that city was costing you. So you have to figure out if you can build up the infrastructure enough to generate more than the lost science and culture. It wasn't always slowing my expansion, happiness was the issue at the beginning, but it did present more of a barrier than happiness in the mid game.

I always ended up playing tall just because I didn't feel like figuring out break even points, so maybe it's not as big a deal as it seemed, but with happiness it was clear at a glance if expanding was viable or not, whereas the culture and science costs actually took some figuring and there was a point where it wasn't worth it. Especially since playing tall meant I had science/culture powerhouses so getting a new city up to a break even point would take a lot of money and or turns.

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Sure, but from I understand, cities in 6 will be a lot more specialized. If I found a new city and it makes me science and culture costs increase but can't produce science or culture to make it up, then what?
Yeah, this too. Civ6 seems to encourage smaller more specialized cities, so those costs would be harder to make up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wow, it really feels like dropping nukes carries a type of significance it never has before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Away all Goats posted:

That Thermonuke :stare:

Yeah that... kind of terrified me.

I am become death.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

As usual, Filthyrobot's videos are fantastic.

it was funny seeing him miss the village and the quick load and quick save keys

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Wow, it really feels like dropping nukes carries a type of significance it never has before.

It wasn't exactly trivial in Civ V either! If they're making them even worse...

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Seems like one of the harder things to adjust your civ v brain to is that movement cost is expended by moving into a tile as opposed to moving out of one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It looks like the damage they do and the lingering effects are both more consequential than they were in Civ5, where you could nuke something and have the city survive mostly unscathed and most of the units survive too. Double-nuking was the order of the day if you wanted to actually clear a path to conquest, which always felt kind of silly.

That mention of there being no countermeasure beyond uranium denial is interesting. I guess they've finally figured out that Reagan's Star Wars proposal wasn't workable? :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It looks like the damage they do and the lingering effects are both more consequential than they were in Civ5, where you could nuke something and have the city survive mostly unscathed and most of the units survive too. Double-nuking was the order of the day if you wanted to actually clear a path to conquest, which always felt kind of silly.

That mention of there being no countermeasure beyond uranium denial is interesting. I guess they've finally figured out that Reagan's Star Wars proposal wasn't workable? :v:

From what I've read that video has at least few inaccuracies, wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I wonder if there is a way to hide your silos or the ammount of nukes you have. Holy poo poo they are devastating!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

turboraton posted:

I wonder if there is a way to hide your silos or the ammount of nukes you have. Holy poo poo they are devastating!

Sure, close your borders so enemy units can't get sight on them.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotta say Victoria is a huge leap over "would you be interested in a trade agreement with England"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Game looks great. I've hated almost every player I've seen so far though. Many of them are taking so long between turns and decisions that the games are too boring to watch those decisions pay off. It's prince difficulty. Just play the game to get a feel for it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

turboraton posted:

Obviously you just store them underwater :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I can't watch right now, what exactly does the thermonuke do?