Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I can't imagine it being any good since bear meat is generally not considered very tasty. That plus if you wanna make chicken fried steak you gotta pound the poo poo out of steak in the first place and it's not like carnivores like bear are known for being remotely tender either. I guess you could get away with frying very thin strips of bear but ehhh

That's why he's marinading it isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That may be the case, but I don't think there's any analog to meat we normally eat. Sure, it's "meat that's been prepared by the best hunters", but at least where I know for a fact where if I pick out the filet, or tenderloin on a cow, I'm not sure there's any tender meat to be had anywhere on a bear. Which is a roundabout way of me saying, I don't think any bear meat you would marinade would appreciably tenderize within the alotted cooking time. I'd be marinating that poo poo overnight, like I would with fajitas.

I honestly think someone either needs to beat the poo poo out of it with a mallet, or tenderizing is a red herring altogether.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe the berries that Soma found in the woods have just a shitload of enzymes in them. Like a real chemical fuckton of protein denaturing power.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That may be the case, but I don't think there's any analog to meat we normally eat. Sure, it's "meat that's been prepared by the best hunters", but at least where I know for a fact where if I pick out the filet, or tenderloin on a cow, I'm not sure there's any tender meat to be had anywhere on a bear. Which is a roundabout way of me saying, I don't think any bear meat you would marinade would appreciably tenderize within the alotted cooking time. I'd be marinating that poo poo overnight, like I would with fajitas.

I honestly think someone either needs to beat the poo poo out of it with a mallet, or tenderizing is a red herring altogether.

Marinating a meat does not tenderize it. It adds flavor to the dish.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kuroyama posted:

Marinating a meat does not tenderize it. It adds flavor to the dish.

Depends on what you're using in the marinade. Most are just for flavor and the meat being marinated is usually in too large of chunks for the time marinated for anything to really much happen though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Alice's dad is great, and has the right priorities. I'll be happy to see more of him at any time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Alice's dad is great, and has the right priorities. I'll be happy to see more of him at any time.

Seconded. He has all the best opinions. I mean, he hasn't met Megumi so I'll forgive his top two, but he knows the one true best girl.

Also, Hajime no Souma featuring Fried Chickenbears is going to be interesting. I want to see Soe's reaction. It'll be hilarious if it's in line with Senzaemon's.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Is Rindou a vampire or just wearing fake teeth and contacts?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

mpyro posted:

Her desire to devour delicious souls is second only to Alice's.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Crasical posted:

Alice's Dad looks like a Castlevania. It's the eyebrows, I think.

The hair makes me think Tekken

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hair reminds me of Demitri, from Darkstalkers. Expression is just about as dour, too.

Guess bear fat nabe is out, but there's still the chance that Souma uses bear fat for his frying medium.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 30, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

From my experience if you want to get it right frying chicken with potato starch isn't as crunchy and American as using flour so I'm sure that will be a part of Souma's twist to give him an upper-hand.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except that Hayama is specifically doing southern-style fried chicken, so I *assume* he knows that.

Also, the way I learned it, you don't use an entire dutch oven full of oil like that, just enough to come up about halfway up the pieces of chicken.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
i wonder how the author got introduced to american southern cooking? it's coming up more than i ever expected it would.

alice's dad has batarang eyebrows.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

paragon1 posted:

i wonder how the author got introduced to american southern cooking? it's coming up more than i ever expected it would.

alice's dad has batarang eyebrows.

It's probably coming from the cooking consultant, and I'd guess she visited America recently.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dude, KFC. :colbert:

I know it's not what most of us think of when it comes to American Southern Fried Chicken, (no, I don't consider Popeye's in that category either, I consider them to both just be mass-market fried chicken) but I don't think it's unreasonable to go, "Hey, what does more-fancy KFC look like?" or "What's the origin of KFC?".

edit: If I were to take a wild shot in the dark, the timeline on this whole "fried American-style" thing comes at about the right time after this story went live, about a reporter from Chicago went visiting ol' Harlan Sanders's hometown of Corbin, Kentucky. http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-kfc-recipe-revealed-20160818-story.html This would not normally have been of interest, except that said reporter seems to have gotten a look and photo of a hand-written note passed down to Sanders's nephew:

quote:

Could this be what I think it is? The 11 herbs and spices?

Ledington tells me, yep, this is it.

"That is the original 11 herbs and spices that were supposed to be so secretive," he says with conviction.

(In a subsequent phone interview with a Tribune editor, Ledington dialed back his certainty and expressed reluctance about sharing a recipe that — if it's legit — ranks among corporate America's most closely guarded secrets. "It could be; I don't know for sure," he said about the handwritten list of ingredients, adding that this was the first time he'd shown it to a reporter. "I've only had that album for four years, since my sister passed away.")

During our chat, he quickly points out that the writing isn't his uncle's. He's not sure who jotted down the list of 11 ingredients. But he says he's sure it's authentic because, as a boy, he helped blend those herbs and spices on the flat concrete roof of his uncle's garage.

Between that story breaking back in August, and where we're going with the food, I am 95% sure that the one inspired the other.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

mpyro posted:

while I THINK its just a stylistic thing that looks cool, some japanese people do have oversized canine incisors so could potentially look like that. Also just from googling a source picture apparently some are getting cosmetic surgery to look like this?? :confused:

I knew a few japanese girls & guys who just had it naturally

Rindou IRL

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

net work error posted:

From my experience if you want to get it right frying chicken with potato starch isn't as crunchy and American as using flour so I'm sure that will be a part of Souma's twist to give him an upper-hand.

He's going to fry it up in crushed Doritos.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mpyro posted:

it's anime, friend

welcome

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Pewdiepie posted:

He's going to fry it up in crushed Doritos.

I'd eat it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure if it would make Rindou worse for me or not if she turned out to be wearing fangs and cats eye contacts just because

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I know it's not what most of us think of when it comes to American Southern Fried Chicken, (no, I don't consider Popeye's in that category either, I consider them to both just be mass-market fried chicken) but I don't think it's unreasonable to go, "Hey, what does more-fancy KFC look like?" or "What's the origin of KFC?".

edit: If I were to take a wild shot in the dark, the timeline on this whole "fried American-style" thing comes at about the right time after this story went live, about a reporter from Chicago went visiting ol' Harlan Sanders's hometown of Corbin, Kentucky. http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/ct-kfc-recipe-revealed-20160818-story.html This would not normally have been of interest, except that said reporter seems to have gotten a look and photo of a hand-written note passed down to Sanders's nephew:

Between that story breaking back in August, and where we're going with the food, I am 95% sure that the one inspired the other.

Couldn't any decent lab figure out the 11 herbs and spices anyway? Pretty sure no one tried to mimic the recipe is fear of legal reprisal from KFC and/or being able to do better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Lab analysis takes money, and it wouldn't spit back "this ingredient, this ingredient, this ingredient," it would spit back, "it has these compounds in these quantities of it. Some of these compounds are ones that are found in this ingredient. Some of these compounds are ones that are a byproduct of cooking. Some of these compounds are components to an ingredient that doesn't have any business being in the recipe."

And even then, you'd have no way of verifying your findings, because again, corporate secret.

But a hand-written note, corroborated by a living relative who actually put their hands in the stuff? How much does a round-trip ticket from Chicago, IL to Corbin, KS and a plate of fried chicken cost?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aside from the ginger, that seems like a pretty generic spice blend for fried chicken anyway

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the origino is pretty odd, what is this mystery spice

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Serious Frolicking posted:

aside from the ginger, that seems like a pretty generic spice blend for fried chicken anyway

And the white pepper. It's known now, and incredibly prevalent in say, Chinese cooking, but I'm not sure it was a widely-known ingredient in 1950s Kansas.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not sure if it would make Rindou worse for me or not if she turned out to be wearing fangs and cats eye contacts just because

Worse, unless she started handing them out to other members of the cast and harassing Megumi with the fake fangs like Arlong does with his teeth.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm pretty sure it's too short of a turnaround for that to happen, since most competent writers already have their story beats planned out way ahead of time. KFC is popular enough in Japan that a news story doesn't have to make them interested in looking up the origins of the food.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is the secret spice mix even something they advertise in japan? heck, they haven't used that line for quite a while in the us.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Shokugeki subreddit did a top 10 least favorite character poll, here it is.

Nothing exceptionally surprising about it, looks like a lot of the least favorites are Central idiots from both genders.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nothing exceptionally surprising about it, looks like a lot of the least favorites are Central idiots from both genders.

How the heck do people even have an opinion about "Yanai Mea," let alone enough of one to hate her the most? That's almost as baffling as anybody disliking Tadakoro.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well it's a Least Favourite poll so don't be surprised if the answers are amazingly petty.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

How the heck do people even have an opinion about "Yanai Mea," let alone enough of one to hate her the most? That's almost as baffling as anybody disliking Tadakoro.

I think the former is basically due to her being a stand-in for Central, just like Azami, Eizan, and the Literally Who. I get the impression that it reflects an overall dissatisfaction with that portion of the plot.

For Tadokoro, it's probably ship wars, because of course it is v:v:v.

E: That and she hasn't really changed much or done much of consequence in the last...100 chapters?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

love knowing what redditors think

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The real question is why everyone hates Nikumi

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Eej posted:

I can't imagine it being any good since bear meat is generally not considered very tasty. That plus if you wanna make chicken fried steak you gotta pound the poo poo out of steak in the first place and it's not like carnivores like bear are known for being remotely tender either. I guess you could get away with frying very thin strips of bear but ehhh

Chaliapin Bear, Chicken Fried. With a peanut-based dipping sauce.

Go full circle.

Eej posted:

The real question is why everyone hates Nikumi

Probably because all she does is occasionally show up to fawn over Soma and give him meat?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

love knowing what redditors think

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

is the secret spice mix even something they advertise in japan? heck, they haven't used that line for quite a while in the us.

Businesses being what they are, I expect that the KFC we eat today is not, in fact, the original 11 herbs and spices. Part of the Original Recipe (tm) called for frying in vegetable oil, but chatting with one of the people behind the counter at my local A&W/KFC combo near my work (they had a fryer spill) revealed that KFC use a blend of palm and soybean oil these days for cost purposes. (Japan still uses cottonseed and corn oil, fwiw)

If there were ingredients they could remove without affecting the taste, I'd bet that's why they stopped advertising 11 herbs and spices, so as not to run foul of advertising laws. (I'd also wager this was also around the same time when Kentucky Fried Chicken became JUST the initialism KFC.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 3, 2016

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like all of those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Just kidding I have no idea who Yanai Mea is. But the other 19 are all good, to me.