Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Its frankly too personal to be posting on a public dead gay comedy forum

terrorist ambulance posted:

oh look Iook someone to replace toona as the person exhibiting like 20 huge red flashing warning signs for failure and flame out but who also has an absolute inability to recognize them or advice based on them, and who thinks its fun to treat earnest and good advice about his hosed up life as a quaint joke and fun way to gather attention

welcome friend

then what the gently caress do I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phi230 posted:

drop out and don't tell anyone and then when they go to your graduation finally break the news

my brother in law did that (and then stupidly got pressured to finish his degree)

alternatively take out as many credit cards as you can, convert to cash and flee the country

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Phi230 posted:

you're in a t3 paying gently caress knows how much actual money and opportunity cost to be there, not dealing well with either the stress or the work.

you may think the drinking isn't that bad because you're around other people who are also drinking heavy more days of the week than not but the stress and probably the drinking aren't going to stop, in fact they'll probably only continue until one day you aren't handling them, potentially in a personally disastrous way

if the secret is that dad's a lawyer and is paying for you to go for "free " and you have a guaranteed job after, ok maybe just keep going and try to slow down on the sauce. if you're just thinking that you're locked into this because your first generation immigrant family will be sad if you don't finish or something silly like that, just get out now? how much worse is it going to be if you fail later rather than concede now

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Phi230 posted:

If you have to go to law school, then you also have to go to substance abuse counseling.

I'm serious. It's not going to get easier. That one drink or two will turn into two or three into twelve or thirteen. If you're "taking the edge off with a shot" now, you're a loving alcoholic already, you just haven't admitted it yet.

Seek help. You should do that even if you don't continue with law school, but you need to do it if you're going to keep going.

This isn't a joke. I've watched more than enough classmates, friends, and colleagues go through exactly that same cycle to say it: You. Need. Help.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Did you promise your young and trusting wife that you'd be a bigshot lawyer some day as a condition to marriage? I think that's what toona did, and after like 1.5 years of law school he's divorced and most likely dead.

You can still get out of this with minimal damage. Are you taking out loans? Do you have a partial scholarship?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lol yeah he's just going to ignore these serious helpful posts then just go "i'm so hosed guys time to drink right lol!!!" a la toona ad nauseum.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

Wait, really? Can you link to a source?

https://www.liebschool.com/content/material/publication/Publication_RealEstateAttorneysAsRealEstateBrokers_TheSuffolkLawyer_June2015.pdf

i actually looked up all the details but that happens to summarize it, a ny lawyer doesnt need a real estate brokers licence but can get one if they want the card without any education requirements etc

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 30, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phi230 posted:

1. Defer for a year. Yes, a T3 school will let you do that. Don't tell your tiger mom or whoever is pressuring you that you deferred.

2. Get substance abuse help.

3. Never go back.

4. When ppl ask, tell them the real money/glory is in CompSci these days.

5. Actually get a CS degree.

6. Make a good paycheck without literally killing your self.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Are we sure he isn't toona come around for another round of abuse and attention?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I know a lot of people that drink way more than they should; don't bat an eye. Drinking before exams is a new one to me though. (And would be cause for some real concern)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I'm gonna go pick up some substance abuse pamphlets that I know my school puts out. I'm gonna check that out. Leaving law school is somthing that I really can't do, I would really like to stay in for both myself and others (lol no choice) so if I gotta do what it takes, I gotta do what it takes

thanks guys, hopefully one day I can be an attorney and be dead inside

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

Did you promise your young and trusting wife that you'd be a bigshot lawyer some day as a condition to marriage?

its in the ballpark

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This isn't like the doctors thread where they're all so disillusioned with capitalist America that they want to murder their bosses. We're actual sociopaths who actively compete with one another to cause more human sorrow today than we did yesterday. And scrapps is gleeful about it because all pieces of humanity have been surgically removed from his body. And he went to the best school in like ten states.

loving RUN. You're at a t3 there is no future.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
No you don't understand he "has no choice" because of "societal pressures"

lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yall are bein dicks now but if you knew, maybe you'd still be dicks but like, in a different way so

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phi230 posted:

yall are bein dicks now but if you knew, maybe you'd still be dicks but like, in a different way so

Probably not

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phi230 posted:

Homey, I quit west point at 18. If I can quit, you can quit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phi230 posted:

nah because I also have societal pressures severely constraining my job search right now so I get it, except drinking prior to a midterm in your first month of school is an incredibly bad sign on your ability to manage stress

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CaptainScraps posted:

Homey, I quit west point at 18. If I can quit, you can quit

Really? Holy poo poo dude

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phi230 posted:

Tell us and find out, tooma.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I graduated from a T3. I passed the Tennessee bar. All I have to show for those three years is a diploma and a pile of debt.

I now write internal software for the federal government.

When I say get out, I mean it. Every year more of my former classmates walk away from legal careers because the work sucks and makes everyone involved miserable.

At least the other goon from my class was smart enough to marry a med student. He's a stay at home dad now.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nm posted:

Tell us and find out, tooma.

He married the study partner, didn't he?

(Honestly, I hope Toona isn't dead)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Fresh MEAT

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Want to know where your drinking can end up? (Assuming your not exaggerating for the interwebs). I know a person who used to set an alarm in the middle of the night to drink because she would detox at night and wake up vomiting if she didn't. So get help internet friend!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

its in the ballpark

So do you think pretending everything is ok for 3 years and then having to face an even greater degree of letdown alongside likely $100k+ in debt is a meaningful solution?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

The New Orleans ordinance appears to have been written by someone who possesses proficient in the English.

But seriously, the CNMI statute was almost certainly written because the legislature thinks Chinese people are stealing the jobs that rightfully belong to their nephews. (The job of leading Chinese tourists around the island should, of course, be conducted by people who don’t speak Chinese instead of by people who don’t speak English.) At a meeting earlier this year, one local senator told me, “You know what the Chinese remind me of? The Ferengi from Star Trek. They don’t care about anything but money.”

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Possible pressures keeping Phi230 in law school:
1. Jigsaw Killer theory, as mentioned above
2. His eccentric and unbelievably wealthy grand aunt passed away and her will states that her heirs must pass a test of their character in order to inherit her money. The OP's is to graduate from a poo poo tier law school. His cousin has to stay overnight in a spooky house.
3. Dude is Salvadoran and is being hunted by the MS-13, and his student visa is the only thing keeping him from being sent back to El Sal.
4. Being a depressing, low-achieving alcoholic law student is part of an elaborate witness protection program cover story. His handler insists that having his life set on cruise control for misery is an essential way to throw the Mob off his scent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Think about this: Hillary and Bill Clinton are both Yale grads. Their daughter didn't go to law school.

The fact that 19 practicing lawyers are telling you that you're running your life flies past you. "I'm different!"

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Returning to find the law thread with a ton of new posts: it's either fantasy football or someone cheerfully ruining their lives against everyone's advice. :(

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Think about this: Hillary and Bill Clinton are both Yale grads. Their daughter didn't go to law school.

The fact that 19 practicing lawyers are telling you that you're running your life flies past you. "I'm different!"

Well I already paid for this year so all other things aside I might as well stick around

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Welp, I'm now convinced folks. :allears:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phi230 posted:

Well I already paid for this year so all other things aside I might as well stick around

go backpacking in new zealand or something instead. or just road trip around america at the very least, gas is pretty cheap

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I just passed off an honest-to-god international law project to a new associate because trial prep.

Thanks for reading.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Phi230 posted:

Hey everyone,

I'm a 1L whose made it just past midterms

How to fight off the crippling desire to drink myself to death

Serious question:

Is it bad that after all this time, staying caught up with the readings and assignments, I still feel like I don't know a loving thing?

After reading the OP: I go to a T3. I now feel nothing but despair. Should I just let the Property and Civpro take me into the abyss

I'll try not being a dick about this (why?? idk).

1) Nobody understands anything until the final exams

2) I had a friend who drank pretty much every day, including before exams, and pulled a $40k summer job after 1L and has only done better from there. So YMMV.

Make some IRL friends to bitch about this poo poo with, guaranteed they all feel the same way

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sure everyone here is friends with functioning alcoholic lawyers. one guy I know would open up a fifth after we came back from the bars and drink it himself but hes a great guy. still doesnt make it healthy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thehoodie posted:

I'll try not being a dick about this (why?? idk).

1) Nobody understands anything until the final exams

2) I had a friend who drank pretty much every day, including before exams, and pulled a $40k summer job after 1L and has only done better from there. So YMMV.

Make some IRL friends to bitch about this poo poo with, guaranteed they all feel the same way

The only people I know anymore are my fellow 1Ls and I'm supposed to be competing with them, so why would I make myself look like a trainwreck

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

True, my point was more that it's not necessarily hopeless. Though maybe my youth enables me to be overly optimistic.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Phi230 posted:

The only people I know anymore are my fellow 1Ls and I'm supposed to be competing with them, so why would I make myself look like a trainwreck

Well I think you're already far gone, then, buddy.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Phi -

Let me add my own cautionary tale to the pile of reasons why if you're having this much trouble now you won't make it.

I'm a 3L at a top-20 law school. I'm here on a free ride and my debt load will be under $50k (fees and living). I am in the top 15% of my class, I was on law review, I'm on the moot court team. I have done everything that employers look for. In fact, my 1L Fall is the only thing keeping me from being top 10% of the class. I work in the school's clinic.

I still don't have a job. A year ago I had offers throughout the country, including big corporate firms that currently pay first-year associates $160k. I opted to work at a local medium sized firm that's an institution in the state and pays far above the market rate for the city. I thought I was all set.

I got screwed by the firm and didn't get an offer. Now, despite all my "achievements" I'm still looking for a job and despite having a few options nothing has yet worked out. I am seriously considering dropping out if I don't have anything lined up after the New Year. Keep in mind, I have one full semester left.

I'm a weird one and actually legitimately LIKE what I do. I'm good at it and it's exciting to have things "click" to the point where I can actually help people. I don't have a drinking problem. I still regret deciding to go to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
holy poo poo mook that sucks. it's guys like you and my buddy the penn grad I actually feel bad for because you did everything right and still lost