Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sharizard posted:

What did the original crop of this look like? It would have been cool to see more of what was above / below the band.

Glad everything went smoothly, btw. I see in the exif that you're using a Pentax K-5. How do you like it for low light stuff? I rented the Pentax K-5 II just to try it out and possibly buy one used for dirt cheap. It's pretty alright, but I don't know if I should just aim for the K-3 II instead.

The short answer is "ceiling-mounted HVAC ducts above, audience silhouettes (and pajama-pants) below".
I cropped it to 3:1 because I like having a few banner-format images to choose from (for cover images for my Flickr albums, for example), and because I like that composition for that image. Here's the uncropped version:
East of Avenue Uncropped by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I love my K-5. My previous camera was a K-10D that, while generally lovely, had severe problems with low light. Max ISO on that beast was 1600, and anything higher than 800 was streaky and basically unuseable. So I'm coming from "pretty horrible" (for these circumstances) to "certainly not horrible" and it's difficult for me to compare, say, my K-5 vs. a K-5 II vs. a K-3 or K-3 II. As usual, I think ergonomics are going to be important, and while I've never handled either a K-5 II or a K-3, the reviews I've read clearly show how big the K-3 / K-3 II are compared to the K-5 / K-5 II. Also, I'm pretty sure the K-3 II has no pop-up flash. I doubt that's going to matter in a concert (back me up here, please - nobody's going to get good pictures at a concert using their pop-up, right? Besides pissing everyone off). If you are using off-camera flash, how do your flash units work with the signals put out by a K-3 II? My (hilariously awkward) Sigma 530s communicate with my K-5 only when the K-5's pop-up is up. Pentax-brand units presumably talk to a K-3 II just fine.

The K-5 II is considerably cheaper (especially used) than the K-3 II. Maybe consider what you'd spend the difference in money on instead? A really fantastic show? A shiny-shiny new lens? A million-to-one gamble on a portfolio of excellent prints?

Here's a few of the headliner that night, The Watchmen.
The Watchemen 28 January 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

EDIT:
Editing is degrading my mind. Here's what happens when I start to get loopy while LR is open.
The Watchemen 28 January 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 33 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Watchemen 28 January 38 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been following Danny North for a loooong time now, he was definitely an early inspiration for me when I started getting into shooting concerts. I haven't paid close attention to what he's been up to for a number of years though and I recently re-discovered his site and flipped through his portfolio.

Hello my favorite live concert photog, his stuff is phenomenal and he has a very distinctive style thanks to some masterful processing.

Check it out:
http://dannynorth.co.uk/home/commercial/live/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Just got back from five days of the Byron Bay Bluesfest, and for most of the time I was standing around thinking "what the gently caress is going on, my gear never behaves itself as well as this" - focus was bang on 99% of the time, colours were amazing. It took me three days to look up and realise that all the stages had a nice 70/30 split of old can lights vs LEDs, which I think explains the entire lot.

Some examples:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I got invited to shoot a Georgian* electrofolk band last week. The concert was pretty fun and the group had a strong visual image.

untitled-253.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-29.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-258.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

*The country, not the state.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Pearl Jam at Jazz Fest in New Orleans told me to knock it off after about 3 songs, so here are some of the better shots I got:

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

tau posted:

Pearl Jam at Jazz Fest in New Orleans told me to knock it off after about 3 songs, so here are some of the better shots I got:

nice! still haven't seen Pearl Jam live, I need to someday soon.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is this the exact moment he decided to tell you to quit shooting?

Did anyone tell you why they wanted you to stop? Were you getting in the way of other audience member's view / enjoyment?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Pearl Jam were pretty strict on photographers when they were out here headlining a major festival - three out of thirty-ish photographers got approved.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A lot of places/bands limit photography to the start of the set only - first three songs is a pretty common limit.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I launched my print site this week... will find out how much interest there is for gallery quality U2 prints. Happy with the outcome, not sure how active it will be. I've sold 3 prints in the first 3 days so that's a good start. I'm guessing most of my sales will be tied to seasonal promotions and announcements with big lull's inbetween.

https://www.justinkentprints.com

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's pretty cool, but I think you're missing an opportunity to play with a dumb coincidence around your name.

Just Ink ENT Prints .com

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ExecuDork posted:

That's pretty cool, but I think you're missing an opportunity to play with a dumb coincidence around your name.

Just Ink ENT Prints .com

so... just photos of Ent's? you might be onto something

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to see Public Image Ltd last night. Really ace gig and I got my camera past security. Unfortunately the only long lens I have here is an ancient 100-300 with a variable aperture but I still got some keepers by cranking the poo poo out of the ISO.

John Lydon by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
The little Fuji continues to amaze me. Every loving image I took was usable.

Ruby the Hatchet - Ace of Cups - Columbus Ohio by Eli Misel, on Flickr

Purson - Ace of Cups - Columbus Ohio by Eli Misel, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'll be volunteering this year at the music festival I attended last year, though not as a volunteer-photographer - that wasn't one of the options when I chose what jobs I was willing to do as a volunteer. I picked "Cleanup" as one of my acceptable options - I can clean outhouses, and that job has lower and more flexible time commitments - but ended up with, basically, campground helper.

I had been feeling too financially stressed to consider a new lens, but yesterday and today I've been putting together my travel expense claims and my ugly credit card debt is largely the fault of work, so I'm planning to be irresponsible and spend some non-claimable money once these claims are filed.

I shoot a Pentax K-5, and the lenses I'm considering are:
SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF]
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF]
I'm also planning to get the DA* 300/4 for birding / wildlife, but at the moment I'm thinking more about this festival than about birds.

I want a *good* lens to replace my current entry-level variable-aperture options (DA 18-55/darkness; Sigma 100-300/darkness) and a zoom would provide some nice flexibility compared to my 28/2.8 and 105/2.5 macro (which are quite nice lenses, I think) primes. I can only justify a single ~$800 purchase right now, so I'm not going to get both.

What kind of focal-length range do you folks tend to shoot? I can get reasonably close to the performers, but I would also like to get some wider shots showing the audience, or the whole band on the stage.

EDIT: Goddammit, eBay is (as usual) full of stupidity but the prices on those lenses are up around $1200, while the new price locally (not usually stocked, but they'd order it in) for either of those lenses is $1300. I've never bought anything camera-related new, except my tripod, but I'm considering it now.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I shoot with a K3-II, and I had both a 16-50mm and 50-135. I ended up selling the 16-50, the focus was glacially slow and it missed focus a lot. f2.8 was barely useable for me. I got the 50-135 first and that lens is awesome and I was really hoping the 16-50 would live up to it but my copy really didn't.

I was going to replace with the 31mm FA limited but then I bought a house and work ramped up and I can't justify the cost and I haven't had time to shoot anything anyway. I've heard really good things about the Tamron 17-50mm however.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Saul Williams

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Heart (Wench made me go!) by Eli J, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Why are you so awful at life? Wench? Really?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Nothing better than a 3 day winter festival. Was perfectly warm and sunny because Australia.

Probably my last concert shoot for a while, at the very least until I can decide whether it's worth continuing and buy a new body. Good high note to go out on, with At the Drive In, The Strokes, Sigur Ros, The Avalanches and a bunch of other bucket list bands, all of which I got shots that I'm really, really happy with - more so than any results I've had in the last couple of years, I think.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

My friend's band, CIVIC

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Nice one Barks.

8th-snype posted:

Why are you so awful at life? Wench? Really?

I'm sorry you can't find a life partner. If I could give you a hug, I would.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

Nice one Barks.

I'm sorry you can't find a life partner. If I could give you a hug, I would.

If you tried to hug me I would pepper spray you, twice.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Challenge accepted. :)

Kidding aside, I've been calling her that for 17 years. We went to a party dressed as pirates when we were first dating. Just kinda stuck.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
7 years ago today I took this photo, and submitted it to a competition and won. Kind of set me on this path. Not entirely sure I've ever topped it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\ That's a really spectacular way to start down a path. I dunno about "better" but I know you consistently post great stuff here.

I went to a music festival! The same one as last year - Ness Creek, northern Saskatchewan - but this year I volunteered so I got in early and for free. I missed some acts due to the 4-hour shifts I put in, but being a Campground Host is pretty chill and I had backstage access, too. I wanted to be a volunteer photographer, but that wasn't an option when I signed up; I talked to one of the photog's wearing a volunteer T-shirt, he's been volunteering at this festival for years, as well as other festivals in the area. Maybe next year?
I've got a few hundred photos to plow through but to keep myself motivated I'm uploading them in batches, one or two acts at a time.

Good For Grapes 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Good For Grapes 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Jah Cutta 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

sonny and the sunsets own

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Val Halla
Val Halla 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Val was a "tweener", given about 10 minutes in between full-stage acts. At the end of her set, she introduced the next act with a better by far intro than the official MCs.
"I'm pretty sure these next guys are a rock and roll band"

Public Animal proceeded to loving blow away EVERYTHING. Goddam they're high-energy. It was awesome.
Public Animal 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 21 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 26 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 40 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 48 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Public Animal 53 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Also a fight almost broke out right in front of the stage. An older guy tried to get the security guard's attention - sitting just on the other side of the fence, but even full shouting and frantic arm waving didn't get the guard's attention, he was watching the show. Eventually the guard looked the right way and saw a 60-something-year-old festival-goer frantically jumping up and down about 6 inches away.
Scuffle by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Selecting 3 images for an exhibition early next month, and I'm torn between these four. Let's get some input here please:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The bottom two don't do much for me but that Iggy Pop photo is fantastic. The Dave Grohl one is close but it's not as good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
None of Butthole's images in that post are showing up for me at all.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ExecuDork posted:

None of Butthole's images in that post are showing up for me at all.

Whoops, tired imgtc after Imgur's horrendous redo. Not worth it, I guess?

Rehosted the Iggy and Dave ones, decided to go with this AFI one for the third.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, those photos are killer. Awesome stuff!

Is this an exhibition of a bunch of people's photos of concerts, or an exhibition of your photos in general?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Doubleposting because I don't want the comparison with I, Butthole's pictures - mine aren't in the same league. At all.

Anyway, have some Sojourners performing for a bunch of Canadian hippies. They were excellent.
Sojourners 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sojourners 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, those photos are killer. Awesome stuff!

Is this an exhibition of a bunch of people's photos of concerts, or an exhibition of your photos in general?

A bunch of local music photographers exhibiting during a music industry conference (like a mini SXSW, I guess?), I was lucky enough to be recommended to show because otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered. Having to get prints/frames done when I'm unemployed is a bit of a bitch, though.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
From a few weeks ago. Was rather impressive!

The Human Race 14 by Jon Mil, on Flickr

I really need to work on good cropping.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Karl Barks posted:

sonny and the sunsets own

Cool lighting

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hi thread/dorkroom. Been a few years since I posted. Have such a back-catalogue I haven't even bothered bringing my camera to shows lately.

But I took it out last weekend:

Industrial Freddie Mercury:

3TEETH

Crush of so many alt-rock 90s kids. Supposedly El Scorcho was written about her:

Lush

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last round of Ness Creek from me.
Shred Kelly absolutely killed it. And they were JUST. SO. FREAKIN'. HAPPY. to be there.
Shred Kelly 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 37 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 41 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 44 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Shred Kelly 55 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Yukon Blonde were the finishers. They're really good, but they don't have the same raw energy and sense of FUN as Shred Kelly.
Yukon Blonde 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 19 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 23 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Yukon Blonde 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Camera held over my head, a hail-mary kind of shot that actually turned out at the after-hours stage.
Afterhours Stage Saturday Night 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Shot my first show finally - Ballyhoo opening for Common Kings at the Catalyst Club in Santa Cruz, CA