Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's barely a step above the roommate who illegally subdivided the living room of a shared apartment using only drywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

That's barely a step above the roommate who illegally subdivided the living room of a shared apartment using only drywall.

Did we ever get an update on that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Platystemon posted:

Did we ever get an update on that?

Dude moved the gently caress out

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Every time some hipster douche builds something out of wood pallets, the internet has an orgasm. I think I'm going to start a business selling locally sourced socio-conscious wood pallets.

With organic nails.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m going to sell luxury pallets, made from the most endangered of tropical hardwoods.

Rhodium nails.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Gonna start making hand crafted artisinal pallets to sell to hipsters

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Boutique drywall screws to go with, carefully pre-rusted.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FCKGW posted:

lol the back of that wall

gj guy

I was going to say if that side is a closet or something then cool easy access to the wiring/devices, then I saw in the prior pic it appears to be the kitchen or something...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is there even a way to build something like this and have it not look like poo poo/be poo poo construction? If so, is there any way to accomplish that while remaining temporary?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Is there even a way to build something like this and have it not look like poo poo/be poo poo construction? If so, is there any way to accomplish that while remaining temporary?

If you just want to have your TV in the middle of the room, get a ceiling mount. If you want some kind of wall to go with, make a bookshelf that goes out into the middle of the room. You can lag-bolt the bookshelf to the wall so it won't fall over (requires a bookshelf with fairly substantial side panels). I'm actually planning to do the latter to my front room so I can visually subdivide it a bit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NancyPants posted:

If he put on a stain and finished the back it would look 1000x better. Still be constructed like poo poo, but would at least look halfway decent.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Every time some hipster douche builds something out of wood pallets, the internet has an orgasm. I think I'm going to start a business selling locally sourced socio-conscious wood pallets.

With organic nails.

That's the best part. The guy mentioned in the comments that he hates "tacky pallet craft" but then he went to lowes and purposfully picked out the cheapest $1 lumber they had, the exact stuff that pallets are made of.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NancyPants posted:

Yes, in fact it's already built. Only you built it tight enough to wedge itself into the space, and only use few control trim screws in ceiling and wall. Those could be patched quickly, unlike the hardwood floor. If you want it to be free standing, make it in L shape

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I'm the landlord / realtor's face when he tries to move.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

In PA a difference between one and the other is $400. Don't think just because they've managed a 2 page application and signed a check, they will do a better job.

In PA (a commonwealth) it varies by municipality. Sane ones require contractors who do work in their jurisdiction to have liability insurance and post bonds and poo poo so their residents don't get screwed by people like that.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Nitrox posted:

I hope there is an actual box behind that faceplate and not a square sized hole.

Nope. According to the thread, he just pulled the outlet forward the span of a 2x and screwed it down.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like it. Am... I the bad person? I was thinking of something similar to that to make a partition for a storage area.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

peanut posted:

I like it. Am... I the bad person? I was thinking of something similar to that to make a partition for a storage area.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but at minimum the way he went around making this was asinine, it's poorly constructed, and he's put a big old fire hazard in the middle of his living room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peanut posted:

There is nothing wrong with partitions. Just don't be a dumbass about it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

armoredgorilla posted:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but at minimum the way he went around making this was asinine, it's poorly constructed, and he's put a big old fire hazard in the middle of his living room.
Please stop. It's no more of a fire hazard than rest of furniture. lovely outlet relocation notwithstanding.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

High Lord Elbow posted:

With organic nails.

I did have a buddy who earned a promotion at work when he thought of selling the damaged pallets to trendy DIY types.

And since we're kind of on the subject, what is a good way to patch a hole in a wood floor anyway?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

there wolf posted:

I did have a buddy who earned a promotion at work when he thought of selling the damaged pallets to trendy DIY types.

And since we're kind of on the subject, what is a good way to patch a hole in a wood floor anyway?

Depends on how big the hole is.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Look ma, you can see the basement.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

there wolf posted:

At that point I'd be exploring opportunities and just replacing whole boards. You might get by drilling it out and putting in a gigantic plug but to be honest that's huge and you're probably better just swapping board.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

there wolf posted:

What pray tell caused a hole like that?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

there wolf posted:

perfect for when its the middle of the night and you dont want to walk all the way to the bathroom!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

booleaned a flat plane with a cone

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

What pray tell caused a hole like that?

I think it was the drain for the old dishwasher.

Indolent Bastard posted:

At that point I'd be exploring opportunities and just replacing whole boards. You might get by drilling it out and putting in a gigantic plug but to be honest that's huge and you're probably better just swapping board.

It's more like three boards in a 2'x2' patch that needs refinishing anyway. Guess I should just bite the bullet and do it.

Scrap that I found a much easier solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLqnSvIALA

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

Scrap that I found a much easier solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLqnSvIALA

I love how the comments for the video are complaining about how it doesn't tell you how to put a lovely tin can patch over holes in your floor.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

there wolf posted:

This is why I come to this thread.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I love how the comments for the video are complaining about how it doesn't tell you how to put a lovely tin can patch over holes in your floor.

quote:

themrhelperguy1 month ago
These patches were made by old craftsman long ago.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did he do that entire thing with toenailed drywall screws? :psyduck:

That is some ridiculously clean toenailing. Today found me looking at a deck, where someone apparently said "You know what? as long as there's a fastener involved somewhere here, and these two pieces of wood are notionally associated by that, I don't care where it's going. I'll shoot an interior brad through this baluster sideways, glue two magnets to the stringer and no fucks will be given. Yes, I said they're interior finish nails, rust builds character. This piece of wood is one inch short of being flush between two posts, but I'm using three inch nails, so I'll just 'toenail' in about three or four of 'em until it only wobbles a little bit. I'm going to break this mother in pieces like I'm splitting logs for loving kindling, just for fun."

Never pay your 'contractor' in beer up front.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Effective-Disorder posted:

Never pay your 'contractor' in beer up front.

This worked out pretty well for me when my little brother punched two holes in a wall during a house party when my parents were out of town and I had to find a drywall guy on 3 days notice. Jokingly mentioned it at work and one of the guys said his friend would do it for a flat of beer as long as at least 6 were cold when he got there. The parents only found out because my dad smelled fresh paint when he walked in the door and knew something had happened.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
New McMansion Hell.

MIRRORS, BRASS, AND GLASS BABY.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's with the crying about house plants?

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I'm disappointed she didn't comment on the telescope in the Study for spying on the neighbors.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've got bad taste, I like hunter green and dark cabinetry for office spaces. But you have to go whole hog and have dark crimson carpet and a giant wingback chair. And bullet holes in the wall spelling out VR.

I also kinda like that backsplash, but with much lighter cabinets and appliances.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's with the crying about house plants?

It's a very 80's taste?

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've got bad taste, I like hunter green and dark cabinetry for office spaces. But you have to go whole hog and have dark crimson carpet and a giant wingback chair. And bullet holes in the wall spelling out VR.

I also kinda like that backsplash, but with much lighter cabinets and appliances.

Which is really a huge theme of the blog; there are nothing wrong with any particular feature, but if it's not part of a theme, it's gonna count hard against your McMansion.

+ =

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 30, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
That blog is quickly getting terrible. She ran out of interesting criticisms like column ratios real quick, and is now left with 'dark wood trim, LOL amirite???'

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

The problem is more that
1. it's a cliche for everyone of these houses to have exactly that kind of study/office setup. Nowadays the middling rich probably all have Don Draper mid-century offices instead.
2. That same problem with trying to sell luxury with cheap materials applies as with the rest of the house. An old school, Sherlock Holmes study with real wooden cabinetry is a beautiful thing. The Rooms-to-Go plywood special is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slugworth posted:

That blog is quickly getting terrible. She ran out of interesting criticisms like column ratios real quick, and is now left with 'dark wood trim, LOL amirite???'

Nah it's still good, it's just actually written with an actual understanding of architecture and design that requires at least a little bit of knowledge and actual taste to get. If any of the things she rants about seems "not so bad" to a reader that's a red flag that the reader has poo poo taste or doesn't understand some pretty basic architectural or interior design concepts.