Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

PhazonLink posted:

flaw, his attention span.

Based on his Hawaii investigators and his campaign staff he would never be able to hire such competent hijackers, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Can't decide if my favorite Bush administration scandal is John Ashcroft covering up The Spirit of Justice's boob or the sheer Orwellianism of Total Information Awareness.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Out of curiosity, where does the term "aryzing" come from? Couldn't find it on urban dictionary.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

VikingofRock posted:

Can't decide if my favorite Bush administration scandal is John Ashcroft covering up The Spirit of Justice's boob or the sheer Orwellianism of Total Information Awareness.

it's probably worth pointing out that before bush appointed him attorney general, ashcroft lost his senate bid against a literal dead man

Covok posted:

Out of curiosity, where does the term "aryzing" come from? Couldn't find it on urban dictionary.

former poster arzy who, in 2008, would hyperventilate at anything slightly negative for obama

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Covok posted:

Then you should have checked SAclopedia!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Casimir Radon posted:

I've been wondering if the early 2000's are going to become the hip nostalgia trip in 10 or so years. Because the to me the early 2000's are represented by middle school, nu-Metal, and post-9/11 paranoia.

Every period gets its turn as "the hip nostalgia trip." All it takes is time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

literally use anything but 538 for election odds. a 15% shift in probability in a week (& a month and a half before the election) is bad statistics.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

I don't know. The 80s and 90s worked because it was a time where America was riding high on the defeat of the soviets (80s) and dealing with the crippling nihilism that came from having no nation to fight (90s).

The 00s were all about having a poo poo president, the gay right's movement finally making ground, and being terrified of being killed by terrorists. Also, the whole "attack on U.S. soil" thing kind of sours it.

It's easy to go "remember the ninja turtles or when the Star wars trilogy ended" for easy clickbait. Not so easy to go "remember when you were in elementary school and everything seemed normal until you were let out early for no reason to find out thousands of people were dead in your home city and you didn't know if your father, who was a cop, was going to come home that night till he, thank God, did?" Like, the former makes you happy. The later brings up some tough memories.

Every decade had its problems. Retro is on a pretty rigid 20-year cycle. Everybody thought they were going to die in the 60s too. It's not going to be that poo poo, it's going to be nostalgia for Disney sitcoms and rap-rock and candy-colored Macs and overproduced Baz Lurhman-style musical productions and Gilmore Girls and the OC and Laguna Beach and Nelly and classic Britney and classic Eminem and Dawson's Creek and the collected works of Paul Walker and Abercrombie and Will Ferrell movies and American Idol and trucker hats and graphic tees and Ed Hardy and Autotune and everything that was fun and funny and not very important.

They brought back Woodstock, not Kent State. This is how it always goes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people will be nostalgic for whenever their childhood was. in 10 years when people who were kids in 2004 are 30 year-olds with kids of their own, the nostalgia wave will come out for that era. There's plenty of things in the early 2000s that people can latch onto. The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, sueprhero movies becoming mainstream, eminem, the playstation 2, the start of reality TV, whatever. 9/11 didn't somehow destroy the basic human feeling of looking back fondly on the culture of your youth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

They brought back Woodstock, not Kent State. This is how it always goes.
Limp Bizkit was there so I'd say it was much worse than Kent State.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

50's nostalgia hit in the 70s. Were the 80's just too hosed up for a big 60's revival? Was it headed off by the killing of John Lennon?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I was watching Sam Bee's show earlier and they played the clip of Trump congratulating himself for not saying "very nasty" things about Hillary and her family during the debate. And I noticed that while Trump said that, Hillary was very obviously trying to suppress a smile since she knew what a shitstorm Trump would unleash on himself if he said what he was alluding to.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The ID thing is such blatant crap. I walked into the local DMV to get my license renewed with a new address and none of the required paperwork (postmarked bills for two months + copies of lease agreement and all sorts of other nonsense) and had a new ID in 15 minutes. It in no way takes that much time and effort, even in Duck Dynasty HellZone, Louisiana.

Last time I had to get mine it took me 3 hours and the line was out the door.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

remusclaw posted:

50's nostalgia hit in the 70s. Were the 80's just too hosed up for a big 60's revival? Was it headed off by the killing of John Lennon?

The 80s did have a big 60s revival, actually. It's just that that's not the part of the 80s we brought forward in the next go-round. Also it's not exactly 20 years, I was just exaggerating there. The 90s had a big 60s thing as well as a big 70s thing, and 80s retro didn't really get off the ground until the mid 00s. And of course we got another 60s thing in the 10s because of Mad Men. Life is a rich tapestry.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The 80s did have a big 60s revival, actually. It's just that that's not the part of the 80s we brought forward in the next go-round. Also it's not exactly 20 years, I was just exaggerating there. The 90s had a big 60s thing as well as a big 70s thing, and 80s retro didn't really get off the ground until the mid 00s. And of course we got another 60s thing in the 10s because of Mad Men. Life is a rich tapestry.

There was even this extremely well-considered 60's retro thing in 1978.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haha starring Aerosmith as "Future Villain Band (FVB)" this is amazing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Killing the wife beating hypocrite seems like as good a way as any to celebrate the decade.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been out of the loop since the actual airing of the debate. What's the latest bout of scandals? Thread seems to be in good spirits and I see a few posts talking about for-real treason, presumably committed by Trump?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

I've been out of the loop since the actual airing of the debate. What's the latest bout of scandals? Thread seems to be in good spirits and I see a few posts talking about for-real treason, presumably committed by Trump?

One of Trump's businesses did business with Cuba during the embargo and his campaign seems to be defending it rather than denying it, among other things. If this gains traction it should lose him Florida (if it's not lost already) as nearly every Cuban-American turns against him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

people will be nostalgic for whenever their childhood was. in 10 years when people who were kids in 2004 are 30 year-olds with kids of their own, the nostalgia wave will come out for that era. There's plenty of things in the early 2000s that people can latch onto. The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, sueprhero movies becoming mainstream, eminem, the playstation 2, the start of reality TV, whatever. 9/11 didn't somehow destroy the basic human feeling of looking back fondly on the culture of your youth.

Missy Elliott videos pretty much redeem the 00s

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bip Roberts posted:

French rifle for sale: Never used, dropped once.

Not really sure why this garbage persists. I've been to French WW1 graveyards and they are loving enormous. There were also little incidents where they conquered most of Europe or drove the English out of their country.

But lose one war against a country with double your population and you're marked for eternity.

Gort fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 30, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fatherboxx posted:

Missy Elliott videos pretty much redeem the 00s

Ahah I forgot this took place on the set of Legends of the Hidden Temple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPoKiGQzbSQ

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Gort posted:

Not really sure why this garbage persists. I've been to French WW1 graveyards and they are loving enormous.

Americans are stupid and have serious penis envy

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Gort posted:

Not really sure why this garbage persists. I've been to French WW1 graveyards and they are loving enormous. There were also little incidents where they conquered most of Europe or drove the English out of their country.

But lose one war against a country with double your population and you're marked for eternity.

They were also one of the first countries to really dig into the whole total-war thing where every single loving person was being sent off to the front. There is literally nothing America has ever done or probably ever will do that compares to some of the insane poo poo the French have been involved in and they're who we call pussies.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gort posted:

To be fair twice. 1870 also.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kent State is totally back, school shootings are the new hotness

Also early Busta videos were numero uno

I'm on mobile but pretend I linked Gimme Some More

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ahah I forgot this took place on the set of Legends of the Hidden Temple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPoKiGQzbSQ

Could've made that video super irritating if they'd just had a few clips of them trying and failing to put that monkey statue together. IT'S THREE PIECES HOW HARD CAN IT POSSIBLY BE GOD

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

They also pulled out of Vietnam. Which, in retrospect, was probably a smart idea, but likely didn't help with the stereotype.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/781755469488615424

I literally stopped noticing any difference between his and the parody accounts (Denald's the best one and worth your follow, by the way).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Haha starring Aerosmith as "Future Villain Band (FVB)" this is amazing

Yeah, it's so well-meaning, but it's just awful in pretty much every respect. Watch a few clips if you can find them.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I think 1870 is the once because France was on the winning side in WWII. They just did their part through a badass insurgency.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Americans started calling the French cowards because in WWII the GIs resented going to France and seeing Frenchmen still alive. They didn't think they should have had to come over unless every man of fighting age was dead. That's how isolationist America was back then. It was a nation of Gary Johnsons.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

berserker posted:

What scares me about this tweet is that Kerry won all three debates in 2004 and still lost. But the GOTV machine for Dems is immeasurably better these days, and Trump is not Bush.

"You don't change horses mid stream" even if the horse is wading into the ocean

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

I think 1870 is the once because France was on the winning side in WWII. They just did their part through a badass insurgency.

By that argument they lost WW2 twice, once in 1940 and again in 1944.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

On Terra Firma posted:

They were also one of the first countries to really dig into the whole total-war thing where every single loving person was being sent off to the front. There is literally nothing America has ever done or probably ever will do that compares to some of the insane poo poo the French have been involved in and they're who we call pussies.

the french are a passionate, warlike people who we foolishly mock for their love of cheese, anal stimulation, and ridiculous language

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Nocturtle posted:

I just saw this post. After recently having a kid the thought of a recent grad working through the night and weekends to make presentations pointing out exactly how bad my work has become is something out of a nightmare. It's like, I'm aware!

Sorry from way back but I just started catching up and I had to reply to this.

I was never out to get him. At the beginning and middle I didn't even quite understand what was going on. He reminded me of my dad - who also disparaged everything I did but whose praise I endlessly sought to earn. He even looked like my dad as they were both in their 50's, cyclist builds, and dark haired.

I also had no experience to compare it to as it was my first dev job. I took every criticism to heart and vowed to do better. It was a vicious cycle. The more he derided me the harder I worked and the more defensive/frustrated he became leading to more derision and more determination to do better and so on.

It was complicated.

---

Long as I'm here wrt to trump. I was so happy when I saw reddit posters Zerg rushing online polls. Donald knows he won. This knowledge is on a nearly religious level. An unquestioned tenant. Clinton isn't an opponent to him. The men/machine behind her are. Hell, the moderator is more of an adversary than her. The difficulty would be reconciling his belief with the world saying he got spanked. That could spark cognitive dissonance. But with a brace of bot netted polls to stare at confirmation bias can sooth that away.

He's going to wander into the town hall as fat and stupid as he is now but with an added layer of smug on top. He still won't take Hillary seriously. He might be more aggressive or might not. Depends on if he thinks doing so will allow him to win even bigger.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/781755469488615424

I literally stopped noticing any difference between his and the parody accounts (Denald's the best one and worth your follow, by the way).

Donny, what are you doing tweeting at 12:20 AM? Shouldn't you be in bed?

I, for the record, ruined my sleep patterns in my teenage years and they've never recovered. I'm not rumning for President, either.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

McAlister posted:

Donald knows he won. This knowledge is on a nearly religious level. An unquestioned tenant.

Look, McAlister, I love you and your posts. But I need to point this out since I've noticed a lot of people using the wrong word lately.

A tenet is a belief.

A tenant is something Donald Trump doesn't want black people to be.

v Edit: truth. My wife is French and boy howdy does she have stories about her French Facebook community. V

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the french are a passionate, warlike people who we foolishly mock for their love of cheese, anal stimulation, and ridiculous language

The French are also pretty racist. More racist than your average American, maybe just barely less racist than your average American Southerner

• Locked thread