Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ada shatan posted:

I haven't found that chicken really benefits from low and slow, so I tend to kick the temp up to 325 and that usually works well. Are you talking about a whole bird?

Whenever I do chicken I always sauce it and flash it on the grill for a few mins per side to crisp the skin. Works like a loving charm for wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I find the buildup in my traeger definitely affects the cook. I have made a point to vacuum out the hot pot after each cook. If I get lazy and don't clean it out what happens is when I set it to smoke and start it up the initial temps are much higher from leftover pellets. It keeps your hearing element and fan in much better shape too.

Yeah, thus far I've just been lazy and scooped out the ashes in the firepot by hand since I don't have a shopvac. Guess It's time to drag my vacuum outside and clean the hell out of the smoker. From your photos it looks like we have the same unit so I'll be sure to post an update the next time I smoke something.

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

I grilled chicken breast today but I made the mistake of not putting enough coal/loving up in general such that the grill ended up not as hot as expected. The result was kind of slow-cooking the chicken to an internal temperature of 155 over dying coals. The chicken turned out surprisingly juicy and tasty. I also used applewood chips with my coal, which definitely added to the flavor. Although the FDA-approved temperature for chicken is (I think) 165, the 150s are still safe and leave you with a more succulent meat.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
155 is plenty. I usually pull chicken 145-150.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Smoked some beef for a work party:

Got a ~10lb brisket flat (which is all my Costcos carry), and used an Oklahoma Joe's rub (a Kansas City BBQ joint). Sweet doesn't always go well with beef, but this rub has a good balance of sweet and heat when it's done.

I rubbed it down with the whole rub 24 hours prior to putting on:

After letting the grill come up to 235 (I filled the fire box and intermixed hickory chunk and chips) smoke off I threw it on:

12 hours later it was done:

The recipe I linked calls for using the crutch, I made it that way and didn't really care for the texture. Here I just did a straight 12-13 hours smoke, which since this was for work meant I threw it on right after dinner then wrapped it up and took it with me right before I left for work. It was far better this time. I also don't open up and throw more wood on b/c I have a BGE, so no sprays either.

(the dark green probe was a different model than I had configured and a reading quite a bit high)

Any idea why my smoking seems to always take longer on my BGE? 12 hours (with help) for a brisket flat seems like a lot, and it's like that on butts too-I easily need to allow 20+ hours for two pork shoulders to cook, and I'm confident the temps are good.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any cuts of a moose cow that take well to low n slow ? Or are they just too lean ?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

jonathan posted:

Is there any cuts of a moose cow that take well to low n slow ? Or are they just too lean ?

I am not sure what a moose cow is but that picture in your avatar is referred to as a moose knuckle around here...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A female moose.

Cow = female, bull = male

That stupid avatar some mod put it there and then another mod probated me and said "by the looks of your avatar you're a sexist douche" or something.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What's wrong with being sexy?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vulturesrow posted:

Post a review, por favor.

It's basically the website in page form and not a mess like the website. All the pictures are colour. I haven't read into it too much but I've been trying to read a few pages per night.

Currently applewood smoking a turkey and feta meatloaf. Girlfriend doesn't eat pork or beef so I'm stuck making almost good food.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

jonathan posted:

That stupid avatar some mod put it there and then another mod probated me and said "by the looks of your avatar you're a sexist douche" or something.

This is some good work.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

jonathan posted:

It's basically the website in page form and not a mess like the website. All the pictures are colour. I haven't read into it too much but I've been trying to read a few pages per night.

Currently applewood smoking a turkey and feta meatloaf. Girlfriend doesn't eat pork or beef so I'm stuck making almost good food.

Smoked turkey and cheese are good.

:colbert:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

jonathan posted:

Do the Disney smoked turkey legs from the AR website. Maybe it's in the book too. Who knows.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Smoked turkey and cheese are good.

:colbert:

it turned out decent. Feta was a mistake. I should've used a mozza strip down the center or something.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
HEB had Prime briskets on sale for $2.79 / lb

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so I'm looking for suggestions on a good smoker to buy, and accessories. (I keep seeing nifty temp graph things posted in here and that seems cool. Automation FTW).

I'm on a reasonable (I think) budget of $450 or less total. That may go up a little if I wait a little longer to boost my savings.

Any recommendations?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Anybody know the good BBQ restaurant in Kansas City? According to Yelp, everything is 4 stars! The closer to downtown, the better since I'll have no car.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's like Indiana Jones only one BBQ place in town is good and the rest will kill you. Choose carefully.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

coronaball posted:

Anybody know the good BBQ restaurant in Kansas City? According to Yelp, everything is 4 stars! The closer to downtown, the better since I'll have no car.

I've only been to LC's, OK Joes, and Arthur Bryant's. Out of those three, LCs was my favorite, but not near downtown. Arthur Bryant's certainly isn't bad at all.

On a side note, go check out the downtown Peanut Bar and get a BLT and some wings. Best BLT on earth, perhaps.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
OK Joe's is the "original" and "best" place for BBQ in KC, but honestly for me it wasn't worth the wait.

Seconding Peanut Bar, those wings are absolutely amazing.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I've done Gates, and some other place that felt way too fancy to be a BBQ joint. Neither one of them were remarkable, although the ribs at Gates stood out.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Annath posted:

Hey so I'm looking for suggestions on a good smoker to buy, and accessories. (I keep seeing nifty temp graph things posted in here and that seems cool. Automation FTW).

I'm on a reasonable (I think) budget of $450 or less total. That may go up a little if I wait a little longer to boost my savings.

Any recommendations?

3 choices: MES (masterbuilt electric), MPS (masterbuilt propane), WSM (Weber smokey mountain - charcoal)

Don't worry about accessories until you've cooked a bunch of stuff on it and see how they work for you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

unknown posted:

3 choices: MES (masterbuilt electric), MPS (masterbuilt propane), WSM (Weber smokey mountain - charcoal)

Don't worry about accessories until you've cooked a bunch of stuff on it and see how they work for you.

I bought my Dad a masterbuilt electric for father's day and its stupid easy to use.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
If you want to venture into Kamado smoking and grilling, I wholeheartedly recommend the Char-griller Akorn. You can find one for like $250 and with a $20 gasket replacement they are pretty great at maintaining low temps for long times with insane efficiency.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

If you want to venture into Kamado smoking and grilling, I wholeheartedly recommend the Char-griller Akorn. You can find one for like $250 and with a $20 gasket replacement they are pretty great at maintaining low temps for long times with insane efficiency.

Seconded.

I'm still rocking the original gasket and have no problem maintaining temp. I'm sure it's not as great as real BGE but I don't feel the need to buy one now.

PS Get the smokin stone accessory. Or do what I did before I got that, and use the bottom rack from a weber with a pizza stone on top.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I really don't see an option outside of a WSM. :smugdog:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If your open to a pellet smoker then the traeger junior elite is in your budget. I got mine from a Costco event for $350. It's been spectacular for me. Pellets are more expensive than other forms of fuel, but I don't find pellets all that expensive either. For accessories a probe thermometer is a must have. I believe the one I got was a 'Therm-Pro' off of amazon for $30. It has a remote unit so
I can see the temps while inside and it have to go outside to check on it. I've been comfortable and confident with cooking on my traeger and over time I'll likely upgrade to a Yoder 640 after I look for larger capacity to cook.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like my Costco Traeger. It works well, pellets aren't too expensive, and I get a nice smoke ring.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was really digging what I saw of the Master built electric model with the built in probe. Only issue was some reviews mentioning the heating element or front panel failing after a year or so, but that wasn't a universal complaint. Anyone have any perspective on that?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have one and use it often. I've left it out in the -40* winter and hot summers for the last 3 years, and clean it by spraying it down with oven cleaner then taking a garden hose to the inside.

I regularly smoke stuff at outside at -30. Basically I beat the gently caress out of it and do everything to it that the manufacturer recommends not to. Only issue is the control panel sticker is peeling off so I can't tell what button does what.

Because it's an electric element you don't really get a smoke ring but what I do is add some charcoal in with the wood chips.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

coronaball posted:

Jack Stacks has a crown prime beef rib that is one of my favorite items in the city. Kinda expensive though.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

coronaball posted:

The only thing you should be ordering is burnt ends. I would kill a man for a half pound of burnt ends. The nearest place that makes it is in Philadelphia 3 hours away.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Hey goons, when smoking meats like chicken is there a way to keep the leather from ending up like leather? I've had this happen every time regardless of how much smoke I use. Should i just deskin my chicken in the future for smoking?

I think most of the Comp guys take the skin off and scrape the inside to remove the fat and make it think and uniform so it crisps up. I have never been a huge fan of low and slow chicken skin so I've never tried it but it might be worth a shot.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83249

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Anybody have a meat slicer? Any particular one I should buy? I've been smoking more boneless hams and pastrami, so I really think it's time to pick up a slicer.

I've never seen any good deals on a Hobart but in the meantime I have an old Rival electric slicer. Most of the new home use slicers are plastic and not really sturdy enough to get uniform cuts but the old Rival ones are solid steel and work pretty well and are much cheaper and smaller than a Hobart. Obviously if you slice meat or cheese constantly get the Hobart but if you look you can find the Rivals at thrift stores and garage sales for $5-$20 pretty often.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIVAL-ELECTRIC-MEAT-FOOD-CHEEESE-SLICER-1101E-4-/272396687029?hash=item3f6c1b96b5:g:Q5cAAOSwTA9X7s9o

Adonis Gunther posted:

If I already have a Weber kettle should I buy a WSM or a BGE? I want to be able to do as many different things as well as possible.

The BGE is nice but expensive. You already have a kettle to do grilling and adding a WSM will allow you to do smoking. If you were limited on space the BGE is more flexible but the kettle/WSM combo lets you grill and smoke at the same time and fits way more food. Most big boxes are clearing out their garden areas to put in Christmas poo poo right now so you may be able to get a deal on a WSM if you look around.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Goons who live close to a Brookshire's Grocery Store, they have Hormel baby back ribs for a dollar fifty nine a pound. Limit is 3 racks and you must have a Brookshire's card. This is in north Texas area. Also pork butts 99 cents a pound.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I like the idea of the Traeger, although it's a little small. How much would a larger model run?

As much as I likely the features of the Masterbuilt, I'm leery if it's not producing a smoke ring. Wouldn't that imply that it's doing more baking than smoking? Also, what's the temp range it can achieve? It is capable of doing high and hot as well as low and slow?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I get two pork butts or three racks of ribs in my small Traeger no problem.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Annath posted:

I like the idea of the Traeger, although it's a little small. How much would a larger model run?

As much as I likely the features of the Masterbuilt, I'm leery if it's not producing a smoke ring. Wouldn't that imply that it's doing more baking than smoking? Also, what's the temp range it can achieve? It is capable of doing high and hot as well as low and slow?

The smoke ring is the result of combustion gases not the actual smoke that you can see and taste. You can get the smoke ring without any smoke, in fact. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

MES cooked stuff will lack the ring but taste just as smokey as you like. The temp range tops out at 275, which is the main limitation of the MES; no hot stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, the smoke ring is cosmetic only. However you can still get it by burning charcoal in the chip box like I do.

BBQ is really just baking at low temperature plus the added flavour of fuel/drippings/smoke. I've created BBQ by smoking for an hour, then into the oven for 8 hours, then a final sear on a propane grill and it turned out almost identical. Heat is heat except for a microwave.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
I don't know if this fits here, but I loving love BBQ and find slow-cooking fascinating, so here's some Koreans trying it for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKOUxF-Dso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty great but I would've been more interested if they hadn't farted around with the flavors and instead done a more traditional American BBQ. As an American living in Australia, it's quite a chore to find edible BBQ other than the stuff I cook myself. If I did find an ostensibly American BBQ place and they started putting a citrus glaze on my pulled pork I might seriously have to start slapping some people.