Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DHBs are seriously powerful and probably the area of local body elections that people care about least. Also the area where you get the most variation in candidate suitability. This year I saw people who had been working in healthcare for 40 years, had managed hospitals, had years on the DHB etc etc, and also people who had no knowledge or experience of the healthcare system at all. One dude even said "I am neither a doctor nor a politician, but I think the DHB needs average people". It was kinda sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I usually go through the booklet reading the conflict of interest statements. That is usually the best indicator of actual health care experience. Sadly this year only one of our candidates had a potential conflict. A volunteer for a breastfeeding advocacy/support group. Everyone else is a 'common sense' business person or a career local politician who stands for every board.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tbh I'd like to see the DHBs balanced away from the La Leche League-style breastfeeding advocates just a little bit. They don't even provide information about bottle feeding anymore, and it's a shitload more complicated to do than breastfeeding. Plus the "any formula at all is bad" mentality is downright dangerous in various circumstances.

In that sense there's a need for some younger blood on the DHBs I guess, since all the people responsible for the choices around what childcare information is provided were probably told off by their Plunket nurse back in the 70s for wanting to breast feed.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 28, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bike tory posted:

Adam Holland is that guy who puts himself on every ballot he can supposedly for laughs, but the amount of time he spends on campaign stuff actually going to events and poo poo show that he takes it more seriously and has higher hopes for his chances than he actually lets on.

I'd have just said he was a bit of a try-hard dildo, whom I'm sure in the recent past has said, phonetically, "for teh lulz." He's clearly trying too hard to be an actual "joke" candidate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Failure is easier to rationalise when you knowingly sabotage your genuine attempts.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
For gently caress's sake

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/84732055/productivity-commission-says-interest-should-be-put-back-on-student-loans

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
"Let's remove one of the major reasons for skilled graduates to stay in the country what a great idea for the economy and the nation."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Step 1: Students pay more and private debt is increased
Step 2: ???
Step 3: More people get educated

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Before I realised it was only on new degrees, I went away and checked out the difference between pay in NZ and Australia, then I realised that even factoring in interest payments and on the lowest pay in their whole country, I'd be earning more in Australia.

Why didn't I think of this before.

As soon as I graduate, I am out. It's been cool y'all.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

New degrees, or new loans? Cause you take out a new loan every year...

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

Tbh I'd like to see the DHBs balanced away from the La Leche League-style breastfeeding advocates just a little bit. They don't even provide information about bottle feeding anymore, and it's a shitload more complicated to do than breastfeeding. Plus the "any formula at all is bad" mentality is downright dangerous in various circumstances.

In that sense there's a need for some younger blood on the DHBs I guess, since all the people responsible for the choices around what childcare information is provided were probably told off by their Plunket nurse back in the 70s for wanting to breast feed.

I noticed this as well, I have a 6 day old and all through the whole pregnancy - anti natal class, mid wives, hospital midwives and nurses and doctors, the only time bottle feeding was even mentioned was the community midwife who said it was good to do to give the mother a rest. Formula - also the community midwife, advocating for it only if the mother cant make enough milk.

Now, I would necessarily expect anyone at the hospital to mention either unless there was an issue and I certainly did see hospital midwives preparing formula. We were shown how to finger feed with a syringe and a hose since the baby was premature and too weak to feed himself for long enough.

I don't know about bottle feeding being that hard - maybe more time consuming, and you have to sterilise stuff, and be careful with refrigeration. I suppose that is harder....

I think anti natal class was essential, despite some of the info being plain wrong.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah apart from the odd midwife here and there the answer is always "just stick at it with the boob" followed by hand wringing about nipple confusion at even the mention of a bottle or formula.

It's not HARD to bottle feed, but questions like how much, how often, what temperature, how to sterilise bottles, the ratio of formula:water... There's a lot to it and no information provided by DHBs at all.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is formula that hard to source in NZ? I'm in London, my wife had to switch over to formula fairly shortly after the birth. The stuff you get here provides so much guidance / direct instruction / every possible mitigating statement against liability on the packaging it makes it pretty hard to go wrong.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 29, 2016

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

It's all poisoned by an angry businessman

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't live in NZ, the most I could read on the formula here were the water:powder ratios.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress the lot of you, at least you don't get Christine Rankin as one of your choices.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress the lot of you, at least you don't get Christine Rankin as one of your choices.

We've got Nicola "Grind the homeless into a fine powder, cut it with baking soda, and sell it to property owners as an aphrodisiac" Young, though.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Somfin posted:

We've got Nicola "Grind the homeless property owners into a fine powder, cut it with baking soda, and sell it to property owners as an aphrodisiac meal replacement" Young, though.

what if we did this though :getin:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm no longer for it because I'm now a property owner.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

that but property investors so i am not adversely effected

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

this is how it starts, property owners wanting special treatment. into the grinder with you

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

as a rate payer i

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

This policy is only for Auckland, right?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also Gore

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Also Gore

or the son of a drug lord
None of the above
gently caress it, cut the cord

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The number of Wellington mayoral candidates whose tagline involved some variation of "freeze the rates, cut the slush fund" made me a bit sad. It's not just Nicola Young anymore

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bike tory posted:

The number of Wellington mayoral candidates whose tagline involved some variation of "freeze the rates, cut the slush fund" made me a bit sad. It's not just Nicola Young anymore

It's funny that none of them realise the actual slush fund is their wages and expenses.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Before I realised it was only on new degrees, I went away and checked out the difference between pay in NZ and Australia, then I realised that even factoring in interest payments and on the lowest pay in their whole country, I'd be earning more in Australia.

Why didn't I think of this before.

As soon as I graduate, I am out. It's been cool y'all.

Do it. The very first, shittiest job I got out of NZ paid more than 1.5x than the reasonably decent IT job I left. And then, unlike NZ, there were really good jobs to move to.

It was well worth the ~30k I wound up paying in interest in the end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

or the son of a drug lord
None of the above
gently caress it, cut the cord

Lights out,
Gore-illa radio?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So I'm happy to see Colin Craig get hit with a $1.3m fine, but I'm sad to see Jordan Williams get the money. It's like a net zero on the karma scale.

Honestly I hope they both end up bankrupting each other with legal fees.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/314507/massey-uni-named-after-racist-pm,-lecturer-says
:agreed:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Any time candidates talk about slashing rates/taxes I picture that goon libertarian fanfic about the guy deliberating over his toilet flushing company and then going to work by paying to go down the Toll Street

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have an undergrad from turitea university.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

We don't have anything named after Gandhi in this country, do we?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Infotainment! posted:

It's funny that none of them realise the actual slush fund is their wages and expenses.

"Council wage bill is too high! I'm gunna slash it!"

Oh so what will you be slashing the mayoral salary to, pray tell? Auckland local board members get paid ~$42k to turn up to what, one meeting a month? Massive savings to be made!

Also funny that these type of candidates that harp on about excessive staff numbers, are usually the first to complain about how long it takes to get a building consent, or that queues at the service desk are too long when you trudge in to pay your rates in cash, or that the council election office didn't have enough staff to stop them filling out the wrong forms and standing for the wrong thing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Gandhi was pretty racist too tbh

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

bike tory posted:

Gandhi was pretty racist too tbh

That's kinda the point.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

I agree as well, but he didn't say it SHOULD be changed , he said he personally wants it to change and that a name change SHOULD be debated.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

there's a statue of him in front of Wellington railway station :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man that was lucky! People almost remembered the wealthy are attempting to gently caress over any chance of class mobility through education again. Fortunately we can all go back to fighting about identity politics again like the retards we are.

• Locked thread