Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

deadly_pudding posted:

Nah, it was super relatable. The joke was that she was put on the spot there, and her first instinct was to rattle off something incredibly mundane and unprofound.

It's like, most people don't actually need a reason to keep living- you don't even think about it, so you can't really come up with one for a total stranger who you don't even like when you're put on the spot. "Soup" is a totally valid non-committal answer from somebody who is well-adjusted enough to not be constantly reaffirming their will to live.

You're putting more thought into this than anyone involved with the film did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

deadly_pudding posted:

Nah, it was super relatable. The joke was that she was put on the spot there, and her first instinct was to rattle off something incredibly mundane and unprofound.

It's like, most people don't actually need a reason to keep living- you don't even think about it, so you can't really come up with one for a total stranger who you don't even like when you're put on the spot. "Soup" is a totally valid non-committal answer from somebody who is well-adjusted enough to not be constantly reaffirming their will to live.

Though, they aren't that well-adjusted. Abby and Rowan are both weird outcasts. And both have devoted their lives to studying offputting supernatural poo poo in defiance of normative expectation. Erin's attempt to live a respectable normal life and Abby's insistence that she shouldn't was the primary character conflict in the first act. They're all in self-imposed social exile.

The irony of the scene is that the unhinged, suicidal crazyguy is asking the heroes what there is to live for, but they don't have an answer because they don't know. Abby says "soup" because gently caress, people are assholes and everything sucks. There *isn't* much that she lives for, she just goes through the motions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
She's fat and she can't stop thinking about food. That's the joke.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I dunno, I hated the movie and I don't think the soup joke there is a particular showcase for the film's lack of quality.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I dunno, I hated the movie and I don't think the soup joke there is a particular showcase for the film's lack of quality.

It's the build up as well, though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah it was a fine if mediocre joke.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

It's the build up as well, though.

I wont argue that. Feig let nearly every improv scene linger like a fart.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Thing is, Spy was pretty funny.

I don't get why GB2016 sucked so hard. Was Spy more controlled by the production company? Or is it the opposite?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

I don't get why GB2016 sucked so hard. Was Spy more controlled by the production company? Or is it the opposite?

Spy didn't waste time on whole scenes that didn't impact the movie, actually staged most of it's humor, and didn't lean too hard on GB16's "say stuff!" style of improv.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drifter posted:

Ghostbusters story was more complicated than Spy's was. It's very hard to mix improv comedy and actual story and have it work. You watch the film, and that Ley Lines scene is a completely different vibe than anything else in the film. It's like a completely different person made it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You watch the film, and that Ley Lines scene is a completely different vibe than anything else in the film. It's like a completely different person made it.

This describes most scenes in the movie. There are some decent bits but there's no attempt to weld them into a stylistically consistent whole.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Spy didn't waste time on whole scenes that didn't impact the movie, actually staged most of it's humor, and didn't lean too hard on GB16's "say stuff!" style of improv.

Paul Fieg - "Hey Kate! Yeah, just keep riffing. Keep going, whatever pops into your head. Oh, and be really annoying while saying it. I mean, just very off-putting. Yeah, like that."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The "Ley Line" scene is the film's attempt at the Ghostbuster's "Jail Cell" scene. The scene where you've got the characters explaining to one another in a serious and collective tone how important this one moment and place is supposed to be.

It's in there because something like that was in the original film.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So, here's another question: Same cast, same script, who other than Feig would have maybe been better for the material?

Outside of a few TV episodes, Sam Raimi was not doing any directing since his Oz: The Great and Powerful movie. He's also a director who's done horror/comedy in the past and has a lot of geek credit built up, he came up in the same era that the original GB film was made in, he's had a successful series of films set in NYC, he's done huge budget comic-book styled action films, and he's even worked for Sony in the past, too.

I sort of get the feeling a Raimi Ghostbusters 2016 would still maybe have some major script issues, but maybe even the people who were opposed to either the all-women team or a remake in general might have also been comforted a bit by Raimi who despite Spider-Man 3 and Oz the Great still probably carried a lot of geek respect. People might have been willing to give the production the benefit of the doubt with just hearing his name. Rewatching the hospital scene in Spider-Man 2, something of that tone and style probably could have fit in a Ghostbusters film.

edit: You know, the Oldsmobile would be "Ecto-0.5", and Bruce Campbell/Ted Raimi would have been the mayor/debunker.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 29, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, here's another question: Same cast, same script, who other than Feig would have maybe been better for the material?

I want to see Edgar Wright do his visual comedy with Ghosts.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm sort of wondering Matthew Vaughn, also. He'd probably have been wrapping up Kingman for release just prior to the start of filming of Ghostbusters, but given First Class, Kingsman, and Kick-rear end, he seems to have a handle on films with a bit of a camp style if GB2016 had decided to go that way.

After the complaints of the depictions of female characters in Kingsman, though, I don't know if people would initially see him doing an all-female Ghostbusters in a positive or negative light.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Paul Fieg - "Hey Kate! Yeah, just keep riffing. Keep going, whatever pops into your head. Oh, and be really annoying while saying it. I mean, just very off-putting. Yeah, like that."

You can gently caress right off if you didn't like Kate Mckinnon in this movie.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This. So Much This.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I can live with hating literally every other aspect of the film, but some things are just wrong goddamnit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can live with hating literally every other aspect of the film, but some things are just wrong goddamnit.

I'm genuinely curious, what did you like about Holtzmann? I love Kate McKinnon, she loving owns, but I didn't enjoy her character at all in GB16.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what did you like about Holtzmann? I love Kate McKinnon, she loving owns, but I didn't enjoy her character at all in GB16.

She reminded me uncannily of a lady version of a friend of mine, and she did a lot with a role that could have easily just been nothing

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She was wasted in the movie though, just like McCarthy and Wiig. Leslie Jones was Leslie Jones tho. I'll never forget the absolute poo poo sketch with her and Chris Rock on SNL about some family that was total dead air the entire time it aired.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I didn't like Kate McKinnon in this movie, and I went in expecting her to be my favorite character. She is the Egon oddball, and instead of having that oddness permeating scenes, one element among four or deadpan inserts when the camera is on the team, the camera is placed three inches from her face when she Does A Thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Her character was some awful try hard weird for weird sake thing. It was terrible. Leslie Jones was the only decent one out of the cast. I never liked her because of that SNL sketch mentioned, but she ended up being the only real character in the whole thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

McKinnon was hands down the worst part of the movie. Hemsworth is a close second.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

esperterra posted:

McKinnon was hands down the worst part of the movie. Hemsworth is a close second.

:psyduck:

I think maybe some of us are going to a summer comedy movie with different expectations from each other, and we should consider deciding that that's okay.

McKinnon and Hemsworth were both amazing. Hemsworth fell apart a bit in like the latter 1/3, but the job interview and the headshots joke were both gold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really like McKinnon but her character felt jarring and out of place. Most of the movie was made up of pieces that just felt like they didn't fit together. Hemsworth's performance was fine but the severity of how stupid he was supposed to be went too far, right into 'not funny' territory for me.

I watched a summer blockbuster comedy expecting some laughs and got none. The movie just didn't work for me on any level. If it worked for you or others then cool, good on you. Opinions etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm also in the camp that didn't love McKinnon which was unexpected because she's pure gold on SNL. Part of why her character didn't hit a chord with me was because I could never tell if Holtzmann was self-aware about her weirdness or not and that takes me out of the movie and makes me wonder if it's the character or the acting.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
For all the talk that Hotlzman is the team's Egon, is she really more the Venkman? She's very condescending and probing of other people, flirty, sort of intentionally mocking and dismissive of other characters if she doesn't respect them, talks down to people, seemingly has more a sexualized/amorous streak. Like Venkman, she's referred to mostly by last name.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

For all the talk that Hotlzman is the team's Egon, is she really more the Venkman? She's very condescending and probing of other people, flirty, sort of intentionally mocking and dismissive of other characters if she doesn't respect them, talks down to people, seemingly has more a sexualized/amorous streak. Like Venkman, she's referred to mostly by last name.

None of the 2016 team directly correlate to members of the 1984 team. There's obvious similarities but they mix up a lot of the character aspects.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

None of the 2016 team directly correlate to members of the 1984 team. There's obvious similarities but they mix up a lot of the character aspects.

I like to think that the Venkman parallel is the potential dead body in the back of the hearse when the lady borrows her uncle's car. :rip::911::rip:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holtzman kind of exists outside everyone else. Her function is as a cutaway to say something funny or make an odd face. She has very few meaningful interactions with anyone. She's usually annoying but McKinnon does her best.

Hemsworth does a great job and actually interacts with people! He's a much better character. He's a character. Holtzman is a caricature.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can agree with that, for sure. How stupid they made him just killed the jokes for me. Everyone but Leslie Jones was far too goofy in their own ways, and it's just not the comedy I'm looking for in a Ghostbusters movie. Hemsworth did do really well with what he had. I would like to see him in more comedy roles.

Just didn't jive with me.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

esperterra posted:

gently caress you.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

esperterra posted:

I can agree with that, for sure. How stupid they made him just killed the jokes for me. Everyone but Leslie Jones was far too goofy in their own ways, and it's just not the comedy I'm looking for in a Ghostbusters movie. Hemsworth did do really well with what he had. I would like to see him in more comedy roles.

Just didn't jive with me.

I've said it before but you're right: the original Ghostbusters were people. These Ghostbusters are cartoons.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

With a better comedic director Hemsworth could have been loving hilarious but he was reduced to being a simpleton in this movie. Like, he would fit right in at a daycare.

This is how you play clumsy goof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPNBKT6JLSU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vintersorg posted:

With a better comedic director Hemsworth could have been loving hilarious but he was reduced to being a simpleton in this movie. Like, he would fit right in at a daycare.

And Chris Hemsworth as Homestar Runner

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I feel like Hemsworth still managed to redeem a lot of unfunny jokes by playing them completely straight. When he was "possessed" and started trying to shoot off one-liners the jokes didn't get any worse but he did get less funny--the jokes were always bad, but the humor was in how he said them.

Contrast Kevin with Goofy Thor, which has funnier jokes but hammier delivery, and I'm not sure it's a net improvement. (Not that I hold it against Hemsworth that he's not bringing his A game to a goofy fun promo shoot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Like the Dean coming up with various ways to flip the bird. Just over and over and the girls just sit there and... What did that add?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

One of the most irritating parts of that film (and the moment I realised what Fieg was in regards to getting his actors to ad lib) was Miranda and her mate riffing off each other about rats in the walls and how shoddy the kitchen was and so on and so on like it was some crappy sitcom office. I thought it was going to be revealed that this super-slick, super effective spy HQ was a facade and... Nope. They were just reeling off cliched "sucky office" jokes.

• Locked thread