Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

cYn posted:

Somewhat off topic, I don't have the time to model a series of low low poly characters. I've found some on turbosquid (I think), but I'm going to need quite a few for the game I'm making.

Current search term "low poly characters" is way to vague. Any suggestions, know of some place that has might be selling similar stuff?

why not just commission an artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

As a project to teach myself how to rig, I made an orca.
You can see it animated and stuff on Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/THDz
Does anyone who uses Sketchfab know if there's an option so viewers can toggle Wireframe view off and on? Toggling would be more useful than a binary setting.

I had a play about doing some animation for it as well, which you can see there. I've never animated before.
Here is the rig, posed with its skeleton and controllers and stuff:

Here it is without all the stuff:

Here is its topology:

And a Marmoset render of it in its default pose:

I actually really enjoy rigging. Is that weird?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That looks wonderful, nice job! I don't know how strict your refs are but I kind of suggest on the down stroke you bend the tail fluke a little more like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntd8cirPiM&t=11s

Great rig, great model!

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Kanine posted:

why not just commission an artist

I'd love to, but it's not my project, I can't make that call. The same reason why I'm not just making the models myself.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Picked up a pretty simple tablet (Intuos Pen and Touch Medium) as an additional tool for texturing/sculpting, and it's pretty cool! So far I haven't found a lot that really benefits it's use, but I think as I play with it more I'll get a handle on when it's ideal to switch to.

I've heard ZBrush really benefits from a tablet - have any of you found this to be the case? I don't have ZBrush yet, but it's on the list of eventual purchases and I'd like to have a good setup for when I do grab it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zbrush and tablets are a match made in heaven. Make sure your pressure sensitivity is workin

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
yesterday I spent an hour and a half getting my rear end kicked by a rig. It was an hour and a half because that's how long it took for our prof to get around to me. He troubleshot my stuff and it turns out my locators had a different rotation axis from everything else, so when i switched between IK and FK, my foot swung left to right.

I spent the evening getting my head around the fact that I might have to learn a lot of things the hard way, an hour and a half at a time. One of the most difficult tests of my resilience (I've ever encountered) are rigging issues I can't figure out.

This evening some of my classmates of the sophomore year 3D animation program took our rigging prof for a night of bowling. It was a lot of fun after a rough week.

I make header images for some of my assignments, if there is something visually interesting about it.

uglynoodles posted:

I actually really enjoy rigging. Is that weird?

Most of the appeal that I find in 3D animation is the utility of a 3D model compared to traditional animation. The rig is the set of controls that make it easy to manage all those vertexes.

The basic idea of rigging is wonderful. A simple set of joints, bind the skin, bam it gets the job done. That is fun.

Rigging in an educational setting is motherfucking hell and will make you loving kill you are self. I'm told there are some people who get really good at it and do it for money.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
By the end of the second week of rigging class we learned some basics of skin weighting and IK and FK. I thought it was all great until I wondered what we could possibly learn in the next three months, and then in another semester of advanced rigging after that.

It's week 6 now and the answer is: suffering. For the remainder of the semester and this academic year we are learning the meaning of suffering.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rigging is actually fantastic as an animator, forever. Never stop learning it.
Lots of complain-y animators out there already, unable to understand basic principles of 3d packages.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I was always iffy on rigging, then I discovered that one of my coworkers is responsible for the main rigging plugin used in Blender, and I realized I have no reason to complain that I find it hard - I've got a dude who pretty much wrote the book for easier rigs a slack message away.

Now if I actually utilize his help is another thing (since I'm not rigging for work), but just knowing I have a super-knowledgeable guy to hit up when I'm stuck makes it less stressful.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
worked on this assignment today :dance:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

See, I'd have killed to have been taught rigging. 4 loving years and a degree later and all they taught me was to model in Maya and stick stuff in Unreal. I had to teach myself ZBrush & rigging. So feel lucky because I'd gladly suffer that class with you!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

uglynoodles posted:

See, I'd have killed to have been taught rigging. 4 loving years and a degree later and all they taught me was to model in Maya and stick stuff in Unreal. I had to teach myself ZBrush & rigging. So feel lucky because I'd gladly suffer that class with you!

This is constantly on my mind. According to what I've read about different art schools, they can lean toward either traditional animation or digital animation. From there, graduates learn the other skillsets in the field. I'm trying to figure out what it means to graduate from my program compared to a traditional animation-heavy school.

It sounds like our programs are opposed like this, and your degree plan was traditional art-heavy. Is this correct, and have you run into any major issues, or would you say rookies have a lot to learn no matter what type of program they come from.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
does it mean my animations will always suck so get back to rigging slave

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Elsa posted:

does it mean my animations will always suck so get back to rigging slave

Dude, you dropped various balls for hours and analysed the hell out of them just to get a bounce animation right. You definitely have the drive to make whatever improvements you need.

EDIT: Just keep doin yo thang.

Crain fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 1, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Crain posted:

Dude, you dropped various balls for hours and analysed the hell out of them just to get a bounce animation right. You definitely have the drive to make whatever improvements you need.

EDIT: Just keep doin yo thang.

are you trying to make me cry, because saying I got the animation right is how you make me cry

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Elsa posted:

are you trying to make me cry, because saying I got the animation right is how you make me cry

I'll just say this: I work in a physics lab and have seen actual physics students, who want to do that professionally, put less rigor into their experiments than you did for the sake of a seconds long animation.

And yes the animation was good. (said as someone who's still intimidated by even trying to rig basic models).

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Well I will take that to heart and not my head, sir or ma'am. Thank you very much.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
In a moment of dyslexia I came up with a thread title suggestion. 3DCG: The Anti-Deformation League

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Crain posted:

I'll just say this: I work in a physics lab and have seen actual physics students, who want to do that professionally, put less rigor into their experiments than you did for the sake of a seconds long animation.

And yes the animation was good. (said as someone who's still intimidated by even trying to rig basic models).

Check your pms.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Learning rigging in school is a lot different than doing it for work. At work you'll usually have someone with an engineering background making all the scripts you need, so most of the job is just making sure any corrective blend-shapes are working well, or that skin weights aren't wonky, or that the design of the model works with what they want. It is good to know how to rig from scratch in case you need to set something up on your own, but nobody really does stuff the long way anymore. So a rig that might take you 2 week or a month to do in school will probably take 4 hours in a studio.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Keket posted:

Check your pms.

gotcha

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Keket posted:

Check your pms.

That doesn't feel too great to be talked around. Do you mind helping out a vet with his paranoia? It is probably going to bother me to wonder what you pm'ed about in response to something posted to me.

Ccs posted:

Learning rigging in school is a lot different than doing it for work. At work you'll usually have someone with an engineering background making all the scripts you need, so most of the job is just making sure any corrective blend-shapes are working well, or that skin weights aren't wonky, or that the design of the model works with what they want. It is good to know how to rig from scratch in case you need to set something up on your own, but nobody really does stuff the long way anymore. So a rig that might take you 2 week or a month to do in school will probably take 4 hours in a studio.

Well that's a relief. Engineering background sounds kind of high speed actually.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Elsa posted:

Do you mind helping out a vet with his paranoia?

Oh, cut it out.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Oh, cut it out.
No dude, that's how you treat children by talking around them. It's unchill

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Elsa posted:

That doesn't feel too great to be talked around. Do you mind helping out a vet with his paranoia? It is probably going to bother me to wonder what you pm'ed about in response to something posted to me.

Well that's a relief. Engineering background sounds kind of high speed actually.

Dun worry dude. We're just gossiping about how big your feet (probably) are.

(Nah he just offered to answer any small questions I had over skype)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Thank you. My day almost sucked.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Yeah, us Blender users have to stick together, gooble gobble one of us.

<3

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Elsa posted:

Thank you. My day almost sucked.

:rolleyes:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Elsa posted:

This is constantly on my mind. According to what I've read about different art schools, they can lean toward either traditional animation or digital animation. From there, graduates learn the other skillsets in the field. I'm trying to figure out what it means to graduate from my program compared to a traditional animation-heavy school.

It sounds like our programs are opposed like this, and your degree plan was traditional art-heavy. Is this correct, and have you run into any major issues, or would you say rookies have a lot to learn no matter what type of program they come from.

It was a BA in Videogame Art so no, it was focussed on digital art and teaching us how to use Maya. The first year they taught us Max, but I made the case for Maya. I just graduated this year and haven't found work yet. I'm trying as hard as I can to learn more skills and be useful, but the old adage about needing a job for experience, but experience to get a job definitely rings true.

I think that if you give a poo poo about what you do, you always have a lot to learn no matter what your level of expertise.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Made a low poly cycad to try out texturing

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

uglynoodles posted:

but the old adage about needing a job for experience, but experience to get a job definitely rings true.

"Junior intern role: must have 2 years experience and 5 released titles."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Humboldt Squid posted:

Turd carrot. I mean good job otherwise, but I can't not see a turd carrot for some reason. :stare:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

BonoMan posted:

Turd carrot. I mean good job otherwise, but I can't not see a turd carrot for some reason. :stare:

seconded, I suggest making the trunks lighter and more saturated to not have such an earthy turd color. You could maybe try straightening the trunks but I think you'll be okay with color on this one. As opposed to altering the color and form.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Humboldt Squid posted:

What kind of material did you use? Just plain diffuse with hand painted texture?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Crain posted:

What kind of material did you use? Just plain diffuse with hand painted texture?

Yeah just diffuse with textures I painted in PS.

Cycads trunks can look a little turd-y naturally

but I tried changing up the texture

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

uglynoodles posted:

It was a BA in Videogame Art so no, it was focussed on digital art and teaching us how to use Maya. The first year they taught us Max, but I made the case for Maya. I just graduated this year and haven't found work yet. I'm trying as hard as I can to learn more skills and be useful, but the old adage about needing a job for experience, but experience to get a job definitely rings true.

I think that if you give a poo poo about what you do, you always have a lot to learn no matter what your level of expertise.

Are you in a populated area? There are a few cities in the US, for example, where a lot of creative companies reside. There are smaller firms all over the place. If I am in your shoes I would go for jobs that list a BFA and AA as requirements, in any industry. Anywhere that would take me type of thing.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Humboldt Squid posted:

That looks cool. You could make them tree-sized carrots and add a small hut in the scene for sense of scale. Just an idea.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Humboldt Squid posted:

Yeah just diffuse with textures I painted in PS.

Cycads trunks can look a little turd-y naturally

Man I really need to just take the dive into substance painter UV painting. I've basically gone as far as I can with my scene. Last two pieces are Modeling the 1 dude I'm going to put in the scene and finally unwrapping the UVs and doing the textures for the various models.

Honestly I think I should have fun with it. I paint mini's and love doing it so this should just be an extension of that.

Side question to the thread: Drawing tablets

I know this has been asked and answered through out the thread but probably no in the last couple years and options have moved forward. Is the Intuos Draw a decent entry level for a tablet for 3d modeling? They're like $70 bucks and most reviews say they're solid tablets for entry, but most of those are for digital painting and drawing and not modeling.

EDIT: I thought Substance painter was a part of blender and not a separate thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I think a drawing tablet meets the needs of a modeling program.