Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

how many trinities can i get for this dvd copy of the animetrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
God only has three persons that we know of

makes u think

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
can't god just be intersex / transcend gender completely without needing to be two additional people, male and female, to do it?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

can't god just be intersex / transcend gender completely without needing to be two additional people, male and female, to do it?

I mean sure, I don't understand God as having a sex or gender at all, or at least not in our human sense. Jesus' physical body was male but there's really no mention of his sexuality in the New Testament and the traditional Christian understanding is he was celibate until his death. Personally I'm perfectly ok with Jesus portrayed as androgynous, asexual, or agendered because it's not relevant. Clearly it wasn't a big enough thing for him to speak to himself. Although, he did convince Origen to castrate himself:

Matthew 19:3-12 posted:

For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

God's a non-binary polyamorous relationship; a thing I read in a theology book once

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The latest salvation model comes with a six-cylinder confessional, so a triple-dual godhead is needed to maximize the Holy Power band.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

what on earth...

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

I mean sure, I don't understand God as having a sex or gender at all, or at least not in our human sense. Jesus' physical body was male but there's really no mention of his sexuality in the New Testament and the traditional Christian understanding is he was celibate until his death. Personally I'm perfectly ok with Jesus portrayed as androgynous, asexual, or agendered because it's not relevant. Clearly it wasn't a big enough thing for him to speak to himself. Although, he did convince Origen to castrate himself:

The best part about being Buddhist and trying to do Buddhist studies means never having to read another loving essay about how eunuchs transcend gender and are equivalent to trans women

Also there's a New Testament scholar whose name I forget that would disagree about Jesus being asexual being okay (since it's been used against gay and lesbian and bisexual people) but gently caress if I remember. He made me read about the baby Jesus' penis like four times so gently caress 'im.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

The latest salvation model comes with a six-cylinder confessional, so a triple-dual godhead is needed to maximize the Holy Power band.

maybe, but can i turbograce it and still eke out a respectable indulgences per gallon?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Man Whore posted:

what on earth...

Martin Luther posted:

Since your majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by scripture and plain reason--I do not accept the authority of popes and councils for they have contradicted each other--my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I shitpost, I cannot do otherwise, God help me. Amen.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how many trinities can i get for this dvd copy of the animetrix

I was born with three kidneys, how many binaries does that get me :confused:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

I was born with three kidneys, how many binaries does that get me :confused:

Yes but are your three kidneys distinct persons with the same substance and essence? Seems more likely you're poly-renal rather than possessing an excretory trinity.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Mo Tzu posted:

The best part about being Buddhist and trying to do Buddhist studies means never having to read another loving essay about how eunuchs transcend gender and are equivalent to trans women

Also there's a New Testament scholar whose name I forget that would disagree about Jesus being asexual being okay (since it's been used against gay and lesbian and bisexual people) but gently caress if I remember. He made me read about the baby Jesus' penis like four times so gently caress 'im.

Eunuchs are so gender binary, Buddhism's all about ubhatovyanjañakas and paṇḍakas. Gotta get quaternary with our genders.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pellisworth posted:

Yes but are your three kidneys distinct persons with the same substance and essence? Seems more likely you're poly-renal rather than possessing an excretory trinity.

What if each kidney flows into the next? What if two of the kidneys flow into the third kidney!?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Eunuchs are so gender binary, Buddhism's all about ubhatovyanjañakas and paṇḍakas. Gotta get quaternary with our genders.

temple cat on ur keyboard?

But seriously tell us more, wasn't sexuality in early Christianity pretty wild too?

Paramemetic posted:

What if each kidney flows into the next? What if two of the kidneys flow into the third kidney!?

This is not how kidneys work, they empty into your bladder (or back into your bloodstream depending on how you're thinking about things) :colbert:
Clearly non-trinitarian. Now, squids have three hearts, one cycling blood through gills on each side of the body and one central heart that connects everything together. Let me tell you about how the Holy Trinity is sort of like the squid circulatory system...

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 28, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pellisworth posted:

temple cat on ur keyboard?

But seriously tell us more, wasn't sexuality in early Christianity pretty wild too?

To cover a bit of background, the Vinaya, or code of conduct for monastics, wasn't divinely inspired or created by decree or anything. Originally there were just a few rules, but over time as the sangha, or monastic community, grew and developed they kept running into things popping up that would make them have to add new rules in response. For example, there are rules against eating dinner, or eating any food that wasn't begged for, or so on, but when monks were getting sick and then not getting better due to malnourishment and being unable to beg, the rules had to be adapted.

So these are two genders that are prohibited from taking ordination. Ubhatovyanjañakas are intersexed or hermaphrodited individuals, who are prohibited from being ordained because they were tempting and distracting to the monks. Paṇḍakas were kind of a social class of transvestic gay prostitutes, and couldn't become ordained because one that did was caught banging some cowboys and it caused a big social stigma.

Neither are particularly relevant today, unless I guess you're properly hermaphroditic. As paṇḍakas are specifically a class of people from that time period it would be inappropriate to apply it generally to gay people. Later, Buddha extended ordination to certain types of paṇḍakas also, so it was kind of dialed back after the initial reaction. Human institutions, amirite?

Inevitable discussion about gender and sexuality politics in modern Buddhism should probably head over to our thread which is mostly dead and needs reborn - I have like a billion pictures from India to put in it but so far have been wildly unsuccessful at actually doing so.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramemetic posted:

I'm specializing in Japanese Buddhism so I don't get to study the cool stuff about what to do if a monk becomes a woman or any of the other genders ☹️

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This might be a dumb question and I'll take it to the Buddhism thread if we end up going at length, but since I've got a couple of you here:

How do gender and sexuality come into reincarnation/rebirth? If self and soul don't exist and gender and sexuality are strictly aspects of our physical bodies, why should they matter?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

This might be a dumb question and I'll take it to the Buddhism thread if we end up going at length, but since I've got a couple of you here:

How do gender and sexuality come into reincarnation/rebirth? If self and soul don't exist and gender and sexuality are strictly aspects of our physical bodies, why should they matter?

The Shin response would be that it ultimately doesn't matter, but in our lives it does and so we live as though they are "real." Like Jodo Shinshu is all about living life as a regular person because only by Amida's intervention can we become Buddhas

Sorry I can't get into more detail with my bread and butter but I'm eating dinner right now and I just did 4 hours of Japanese so I'm a little fried

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Pellisworth posted:

Wow, that is a big difference in translation. In the Finnish translation there is nothing about eunuchs. The passage talks about those who are unfit (sounds harsher in English, our word doesn't assign blame) for marriage either from birth, are made so by other people or choose to stay unmarried for the Kingdom of God.

Obviously this covers eunuchs but monastics too, and, especially nowadays, quite a few wonder if this might be a rare reference to homosexuality.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Something something futanari

Tias
May 25, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't how it goes, they all have their own little tube going down into the plumbing. While there will of course pass blood into a kidney that also has been in another kidney, I doubt it takes essential kidney-ness with them. Do we have to dig up the catholic canon for trinitarian organ energy transfers again? :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

rap music posted:

Maybe the two fold trinity means the trinity above and the trinity below, or within. After all we are made in His image so perhaps this trinity is in heaven as it is in us.

Or just the regular Trinity except moreso. Twice as Trinitic.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So, I'm a member of my parish's schola now and will sing chants during the first Rorate Mass this year

poo poo, singing Gregorian chants is way different from what I'm used to, I love it! :haw:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Huh, so a Catholic church in my town is trying to start the canonization process for a local priest who died in a Yellow Fever epidemic in the 1800's.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Small world. I saw this on the local news last night. Greetings, fellow Chattanoogan!

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Pellisworth posted:

I can't say anything about Buddhist teaching, but the (def. controversal) surveys of remembered past lives in children conducted by Ian Stevenson in the 60s and 70s featured a few interesting cases: While most of his subjects 'remembered' past lives with the same sex, several were adamant about having lived as a person of the opposite sex and gender and experienced problems in 'getting used' to their new sex. Stevenson even wrote an article about it, which you can find here: https://som.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/wp-content/uploads/sites/267/2015/11/STE9.pdf

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 29, 2016

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

System Metternich posted:

So, I'm a member of my parish's schola now and will sing chants during the first Rorate Mass this year

poo poo, singing Gregorian chants is way different from what I'm used to, I love it! :haw:

Sup schola buddy! Welcome to pure melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjDIp7oIg5o

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

whoa whoa whoa

quote:

On October 30, 2016, the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia) will present the first exhibition in the United States to explore the indelible impact of the Protestant Reformation through major works of art, as part of an international initiative to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther’s “Ninety-Five Theses on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences.” On view through January 15, 2017, “Martin Luther: Art and the Reformation” will feature paintings, sculptures, gold, textiles and works on paper—many of which have never before left Germany—as well as Luther’s personal possessions and recent archeological finds from his boyhood homes to shed new light on the critical religious, cultural and societal changes of this tumultuous and transformative period. The anniversary will be observed around the world on October 31, 2017.

“Martin Luther: Art and the Reformation”at Mia is organized in partnership with four German institutions—the State Museum of Prehistory in Halle, Luther Memorials Foundation in Saxony-Anhalt, German Historical Museum in Berlin, and Foundation Schloss Friedenstein in Gotha. The Luther House in Wittenberg, Germany is closed in 2016 for major renewals of its permanent exhibition for the Jubilee Year 2017, which has allowed key works to travel to Mia for this unprecedented exhibition.

:monocle:

quote:

“Martin Luther: Art and the Reformation”places particular emphasis on Luther’s use of art as a tool for worship, teaching and propaganda. Among the works on view will be paintings by Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472-1553), who was inspired by Luther’s preaching to develop didactic paintings that vividly depict the viewer’s choice between salvation and damnation. Cranach’s narrative paintings illustrate biblical stories in brilliant colors and ravishing—sometimes gory—detail, and his stylized portraits capture the humanist spirit of the age.

:eyepop:

quote:

“Polemics and Conflicts” underscores the turbulence of the era through vandalized works of art, satirical woodcuts, weaponry and war trophies

:vince:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

holy crap i should have kept reading

quote:

* The pulpit of Luther’s last sermon, from St. Andrew’s Church in Eisleben, created in 1518. This pulpit remains in its original location to this day, and features painted depictions of Saints Catherine, Andrew, Martin and John the Evangelist, as well as the Madonna being crowned by angels. The pulpit will make its inaugural trip from Germany to Minneapolis for this special exhibition.

* Luther’s studio furniture and other personal effects, including his ornate folding travel spoon and his beer stein.

* Rarely seen 16th-century editions of the Bible in contemporary German vernacular, as well as a selection of 16th-century publications that demonstrate Luther’s intolerance of corruption and his concern for women.

* The Altar of the Virgin Mary from Naumburg Cathedral, a carved and polychromed altar produced around 1500.

* The Heiltumsbuch of Friedrich the Wise, the first illustrated manuscript ever printed.

* Pope Leo X’s Bull of Excommunication against Luther, in three early editions.

* Recently discovered remains of an alchemist’s laboratory.

:vince: :vince: :vince:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i hope they include his sword, his daily loadout was fukken sick

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I feel so incredibly :smug: right now. This exhibition is only going to New York, Minneapolis, and Atlanta, and they're doing it here first. Gonna go on a man-date with my dad and giggle at O.G. political cartoons.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

i hope they include his sword, his daily loadout was fukken sick

Are you serious here? I guess I've never heard about him carrying a sword and just assumed since he was a monk and then priest he wouldn't have been packing.

Quick, someone find a Luther quote about how awesome pikes are, HEY GAL might have a crisis of faith

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am pretty sure i saw a picture of his sword in one of those huge museum exhibit books like...years ago

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

MN Liturgical Goonmeet?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
2017 hell, my friends and i are all extremely hype for 2018

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAL posted:

2017 hell, my friends and i are all extremely hype for 2018

i'm hype for halloween 2017 because a bunch of catholic and protestant friends and i are gonna get drunk and yell about theology

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i'm just planning on playing Pike&Shot all night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I am going as a mad upholsterer for my towns fetish club halloween, and turn people into human furniture with a load of rope and bondage tape.

what

• Locked thread