Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

A few pages back I had troubles submitting to interdiction. Turned out, my thrustmaster was decalibrated. New deadzones fixed the problem.

And whose stupid idea was it to make cargo missions change their destination? This makes planning impossible. With passengers I can understand it (though I would make it optional and a bonus payment), but with freight? Did they announce any plans of changing this or do they think it is a swell idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Einbauschrank posted:

A few pages back I had troubles submitting to interdiction. Turned out, my thrustmaster was decalibrated. New deadzones fixed the problem.

And whose stupid idea was it to make cargo missions change their destination? This makes planning impossible. With passengers I can understand it (though I would make it optional and a bonus payment), but with freight? Did they announce any plans of changing this or do they think it is a swell idea?

They think it's a swell idea.

People were asking for more interactive missions and this is :frontear:'s idea of interactive - a game mechanic that makes people wary of doing missions :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

But it's a really dumb idea: You were contracted to transport stuff from A to B, that's it. Changing destinations, like shorter delivery times, should be an added bonus you can opt out of. This is basically the customer breaking his contract and if you object, you get fined. That's the opposite of how it should work.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
No but you see it's no longer simple A-B things or A-B-A therefore depth and complexity

Edit: my immersion

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nice meltdowns :grin:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Nice meltdowns :grin:

If you don't meltdown when confronted with :frontear: you're without soul.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Einbauschrank posted:

If you don't meltdown when confronted with :frontear: you're without soul.

I have no more soul precisely because of :frontear:, I grinded it away

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
It was WAY better before, when they offered you a different destination with a bonus, but you could still follow the original plan and gently caress the bonus.

I also especially love the "hey poo poo-hauler with literally no weapons, we will pay 60k/kill extra for each of those loving deadly anacondas were gonna send after you. Good luck."

"oh and they might frameshift out of combat and insta-heal just in case you have mines or something. Did we wish you good luck already?"

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

By the end of the day Thursday October 6th 2016 US Eastern Time I will have a cutter :toxx:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chrysophylax posted:

People were asking for more interactive missions and this is :frontear:'s idea of interactive - a game mechanic that makes people wary of doing missions :v:

Being involuntarily forced to change destination is not interactive at all. You are not interacting with anything, it's being dictated to you. If the person said "Stop here or take X amount more cash to continue on where you actually had a choice and and an interaction in the process then it would be different.

I already will never take the "Fly to system X and wait for news" missions because they turn into a total poo poo show a chunk of the time.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It was WAY better before, when they offered you a different destination with a bonus, but you could still follow the original plan and gently caress the bonus.

That's the way it used to work? Why in the blue gently caress would they change it?? That is actually interactive!

EDIT: I wonder if the devs actually know what immersion or immersive actually means. It's doesn't at all mean complicated or difficult at all. Being forced to change destination mid job or not get paid for the work you already did is the exact opposite of immersive. It reeks of obstructionism on the part of the devs and not anything plausible in the actual game universe.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 29, 2016

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

BitBasher posted:

EDIT: I wonder if the devs actually know what immersion or immersive actually means. It's doesn't at all mean complicated or difficult at all. Being forced to change destination mid job or not get paid for the work you already did is the exact opposite of immersive. It reeks of obstructionism on the part of the devs and not anything plausible in the actual game universe.

I think Frontier do try and listen to what the community wants. The engineer degrinding, the gimbalgate, and now the delayed transfer vote are all things that were changed based on the community yelling.

They seem completely and utterly devoid of any idea of what sensible gameplay is, otherwise none of these things would've ever hit the outcry stage. And I think this is the crux of the issue - they primarily listen to brown sea grognards who confuse tedium with complexity and obtuseness for depth.

E: The delayed transfer vote thread had some 5000+ posts in 2 weeks of people just crying foul and going on about their loving immersion it was unbelievable.

That feature got destroyed by people who never intended to use this feature, they just wanted no-one else to use it. You even get people who specifically mention 'corvettes' and 'super rich' as the target for this punishment, it's unreal

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Part of the problem is that there just isn't really a way to make missions significantly more interesting or fun without either changing the core gameplay or moving away from the procedural generation system. They do their best to make things more dynamic within the confines of the current system, and it ends up being worse than if they'd never tried to begin with.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Part of the problem is that there just isn't really a way to make missions significantly more interesting or fun without either changing the core gameplay or moving away from the procedural generation system. They do their best to make things more dynamic within the confines of the current system, and it ends up being worse than if they'd never tried to begin with.

I actually liked when you could switch sides on a mission. Sometimes I was tempted, sometimes I thought "Now I'l take every mission that takes you down". But this delivery boy errand stuff really pisses me off. It's actually less of a hassle to fly 420ly to Robigo to get decent missions than to stick in the bubble and play tramp freighter, which I would prefer. Small hops, visiting new systems and factions. But I won't divert 400tons of cargo from its destination where it will net me a million to earn 20.000 credits extra. And in the beginning those transport missions make around 1000 to 2000 credits a ton. If I wheigh in the risk of being diverted, it is simply no longer worth it.

My patience is the final :frontear: Also, exploring is really relaxing. For once the system doesn't fight my lust for entertainment and reward, but simply generates randomly boring and beautiful systems.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2016

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chrysophylax posted:

I think Frontier do try and listen to what the community wants. The engineer degrinding, the gimbalgate, and now the delayed transfer vote are all things that were changed based on the community yelling.

They seem completely and utterly devoid of any idea of what sensible gameplay is, otherwise none of these things would've ever hit the outcry stage. And I think this is the crux of the issue - they primarily listen to brown sea grognards who confuse tedium with complexity and obtuseness for depth.

The problem is it's NOT always good to listen to your users, especially on a forum. The people that actually post on a forum are the vocal minority. They are the edge cases and jackasses of the playerbase.

gently caress I work in IT for a living and I know for drat sure my job is absolutely not to give the user what they want, my job is to give the user what they need to do their jobs, and those two are often not the same thing at all. This is why there are professionals to make those decisions instead of letting the ignorant make their own decisions.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Main Paineframe posted:

Missions will never be interesting until they're able to add stronger characterizations. In any game with missions, the mission itself is rarely fun - rather, it's the characters you're doing the mission for.

People flip out over the Witcher 3 missions because the characters are REALLY well written and you're advancing their storyline through your actions. The missions themselves? Go somewhere, kill a monster, do a thing, whatever. The missions are enjoyable, but without the characters and story Witcher 3 wouldn't be GOTY.

In ED, you're doing missions for jpegs and don't feel like you're contributing to or affecting a narrative.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

BitBasher posted:

gently caress I work in IT for a living and I know for drat sure my job is absolutely not to give the user what they want, my job is to give the user what they need to do their jobs, and those two are often not the same thing at all. This is why there are professionals to make those decisions instead of letting the ignorant make their own decisions.

Yeah. But they have Sandro there, working as lead game designer. He is apparently responsible for all of the worst ideas in this game. One I know of for sure is how stupid grindy the Engineers were on release.

With a guy like that you're kinda damned if you do listen to the community, damned if you don't.

E: remember how we weren't gonna get gimbals for huge guns because we didn't grind a CG that had zero indication of the consequences of failure? He's on record as saying 'you wanted more consequences, there you have them'. :psyduck:

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 29, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That reminds me. There's a CG on beta right now. What content is locked behind completion? Are we sure there isn't any?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

On the other hand they can make good decisions like with instant transfers, only to be shouted down by moronic fans.

Frontier need the confidence to ignore a) their past and b) their fanbase

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Stellar Forge, go home, you're drunk.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

E: remember how we weren't gonna get gimbals for huge guns because we didn't grind a CG that had zero indication of the consequences of failure? He's on record as saying 'you wanted more consequences, there you have them'. :psyduck:

His point was a fair one, though - people often complain that both CGs and player activities in general usually have little effect on the galaxy, and they complain that getting to higher tiers usually has no real effect. It's just that if there are conditions attached, they also whine like crazy if the CG doesn't get high enough.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Main Paineframe posted:

His point was a fair one, though - people often complain that both CGs and player activities in general usually have little effect on the galaxy, and they complain that getting to higher tiers usually has no real effect. It's just that if there are conditions attached, they also whine like crazy if the CG doesn't get high enough.

I think the point isn't that there was meaningful consequences to a CG -- that is totally defensible -- but rather that, IIRC, it came with no prewarning until the designer taunted people about it after the fact.

Much like their AI programmer with the PR skills of a banshee, the problem isn't necessarily the core of their ideas so much as the horrific, actually downright malicious intent behind their decision making. It's not okay to punish players (or publicly mock them!) for their insolence.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

By the end of the day Thursday October 6th 2016 US Eastern Time I will have a cutter :toxx:

you getting banned will be a fantastic late birthday present for me, thanks

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Main Paineframe posted:

Conskill posted:

I think the point isn't that there was meaningful consequences to a CG -- that is totally defensible -- but rather that, IIRC, it came with no prewarning until the designer taunted people about it after the fact.

Much like their AI programmer with the PR skills of a banshee, the problem isn't necessarily the core of their ideas so much as the horrific, actually downright malicious intent behind their decision making. It's not okay to punish players (or publicly mock them!) for their insolence.

^This. The developers act like children throwing a tantrum. The intelligent way to do it, where there's plenty of communication and announcements, looks like: "Yes, the vox coproli has been heard, New CGs will have {x} stakes and occur on {date}", so that way the community is aware, and everyone has incentive to participate.

This incident was "Oh, you don't like it? gently caress you, we're revoking {x} item we said was coming"

Truly, folks, the height of healthy, active community and gameplay management.

:frontear:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
To be fair, if I had to interact with Elite Grogs on any kind of regular basis I'd probably end up slipping some kind of horrible harddrive-erasing malware into a patch and peace out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
In case of Brown Sea, detach and quote this post:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------8<---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh, and apparently the new engi mods for scanners only apply to the utility mounted ones (not ADS/DSS), and only offer weight-savings/shielding type basic modifications. Nothing actually changes how the module performs.

Can also apply these "basic" mods to life support, among other things. Anyone with beta access have a hold full of fish and a complete list?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Dabir posted:

you getting banned will be a fantastic late birthday present for me, thanks

I have no idea who you are. Why will you be happy over me getting banned?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Anyone with beta access have a hold full of fish and a complete list?

So what's with this beta and everyone's concern over fish?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

a big fat bunny posted:

So what's with this beta and everyone's concern over fish?

They've adjusted the engineers to only want fish in beta. Whatever mod you want - fish.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

cheesetriangles posted:

Barely a week...you should be grinding credits and faction: not posting. :kheldragar:

Angrymog posted:

They've adjusted the engineers to only want fish in beta. Whatever mod you want - fish.

Yeah: every engineer mod costs one fish to produce, and they are all unlocked for you. So you should be able to rank 5 any engineer with 18t of fish each.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh they changed the engineers to wanting fish? It was actual mats for awhile.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh they changed the engineers to wanting fish? It was actual mats for awhile.

Oh thank god. I wasn't going to regrind that poo poo again.

Time to go play intergalactic fish monger!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Friction posted:

Stellar Forge, go home, you're drunk.

You didn't conclude that already from seeing HIP 63835? :D

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I think I need more dakka in my space life. I want to buy a FdL but I need a bunch more millions and I am willing to grind a while.

Is robigo still a thing? Or sothis and ceos? How does it work again? I have Asp and python but I would rather use the former because it's engineered and has a 27ly range laden with 90 tons of cargo, should make trips less painful Vs the 17ly of the python with double the cargo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I prefer the Python, yeah its jump range goes down a lot as you fill it. But it's still carrying more, so you can pick up the less efficient hauling missions in Sothis instead of having to game the board for smaller hauls, and once you're in the bubble it still only takes 1-2 jumps between delivery target systems.

Also it has room for a bigger fuel scoop and sounds better :v:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

I think I need more dakka in my space life. I want to buy a FdL but I need a bunch more millions and I am willing to grind a while.

Is robigo still a thing? Or sothis and ceos? How does it work again? I have Asp and python but I would rather use the former because it's engineered and has a 27ly range laden with 90 tons of cargo, should make trips less painful Vs the 17ly of the python with double the cargo

A single Sothis -> Bubble trip is roughly 420ly, and the majority of the Sothis Gring is spent in those jumps.

So while the python can do more missions once its done jumping, the asp will be faster going there and being back.
What im saying is theyll possibly be the same cash/hour, depending on how your mission board rolls.

With those ranges honestly, i think Wu Guinagi mailman might be more efficient?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am not sure guys, this stuff is new to me, I only know the general idea is "go out there, grab high pay missions, get back"

Please help me get loving rich

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Does the gladiator know why the spectators bay for his blood

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Get a time machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It takes a lot of mailman missions to earn the 20+ million of a Sothis run, and time spent waiting for the mission board is significant.

• Locked thread