Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

1x03

What the actual gently caress Cottonmouth :stare:

The crooked cop thing was obvious. Stan Lee has a real problem with keeping his department straight.

I was way too convinced he was about to die to see it coming, though the loving rocket is probably objectively more ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

I was way too convinced he was about to die to see it coming, though the loving rocket is probably objectively more ridiculous

as i went through the episode, just more and more options to what it could apply to kept appearing

ep4 this is loving awesome, hey arrow, this is how you do a flashback

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x04

Levy!

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
103: I thought the cop was going to die until he started taking off his tie. And the Rocket! When the whole building started crumbling down I was yelling at my TV. Daaaaaamn, Cotton. I knew he was a gun dealer but I didn't think he rolled like that. Good poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Two episodes in I'm really enjoying it but not quite as much as DD season 1 or JJ.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah it hasn't really grabbed me. I get the feeling that with worse music parts of it would be really bland but it sets the tone so well that it all just works.

I'm enjoying it a fair bit, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x04

They went full 70s :swoon:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 5: Okay, spoke too soon, I'm actually really into this now. This sequence of Luke helping people rules.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I have work early tomorrow so I'm gonna have to stop at 4, this is pretty awesome tho, gonna continue as soon as I can.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I signed up for Netflix to watch this, and on my TV everything stops buffering at 25%. So mad right now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

1x04

Levy!

1x05

Kima!

Netflix MCU's dedication to keeping ex Wire actors in work is astounding

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1x06

Ahahahaha Trish Talk

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
On Episode 2, but I really like the vibe.

And I'm going to be all Hot Tube Time Machine regarding Misty Knight and her arm.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x07

This is even stupider than all those times Kilgrave got away on JJ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1x07 I saw that coming a million miles away but still, jeez

Also that Cottonmouth backstory is rough, wow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

1x07

This is even stupider than all those times Kilgrave got away on JJ

Seeing as Cottonmouth clearly isn't going to be here all season long I take this back. That last scene between him and Mariah was gripping.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This shades fella is some weakass bullshit.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mind the walrus posted:

It really wouldn't have been the same on some soundstage in LA. You can always tell when it isn't actually NYC. Everything isn't lived in and spaced much farther apart to allow for bigger camera crews.

The key difference with Cage is that Coker tried to shoot as much as possible in Harlem, whereas almost none of DD or JK was filmed in the real Hell's Kitchen. Mostly Brooklyn, AFAIK.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah it hasn't really grabbed me. I get the feeling that with worse music parts of it would be really bland but it sets the tone so well that it all just works.

I'm enjoying it a fair bit, though.

I'm not really feeling it either. JJ and Daredevil both had a couple episodes to introduce the players and bring the stakes into view. Hell, Fisk doesn't even show up until Episode 3 or 4 from what I remember. Luke Cage hits the ground running, sure, but not in a compelling way that makes you really about the characters at all.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I can't watch because I'm working, but can someone tell me how much Misty there is, if she is a badass and if she has her cyber arm yet ot not. tia

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koalas March posted:

I can't watch because I'm working, but can someone tell me how much Misty there is, if she is a badass and if she has her cyber arm yet ot not. tia

A shitload, yes, and as of Episode 8, She does not

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1 x 01

Luke Cage is clearly setting up for a slow burn, but I'm liking it so far. Cottonmouth already scares me, more than Fisk did.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
1x02

MotherFUCKER they killed Burrell. Was Freamon's blood not enough for you, MCU? :mad:

it's kinda hosed up that I call them by their Wire names but I can't help it, that conversation about crime book authors at the beginning of episode 2 namedropped almost all of the writers on that show. They had to know what they were doing. Also Blind Butchie handed Luke a magazine :3:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This Netflix format has spoiled the writers. They just can't help not making these long-winded scenes that could be cut in half for the same effect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cythereal posted:

1 x 01

Luke Cage is clearly setting up for a slow burn, but I'm liking it so far. Cottonmouth already scares me, more than Fisk did.

I can't really agree here. Major spoilers through Episode 9, I guess: Cottonmouth is kind of presented as a pretender, never as any sort of real threat, while what made Fisk terrifying was that you eventually realized that his manbaby exterior was hiding a man constantly barely able to control his simmering rage. Cottonmouth is Fisk without pretensions, but he also doesn't have enough power to really make Fisk's impact. Mariah killing him and taking over is sort of the only direction the story can go, because once Luke takes all Stokes' money he loses most of that essential power and it leaves him floundering. Cottonmouth is threatening only because it's never clear when he'll be willing to break his own "rules," and what he considers enough of a violation to cross certain lines. There's a realization that even with all his access he never actually had that much power because to a certain extent he was always under Diamondback's heel. He's brutal, sure, but that's not really enough to make him all that scary. His flashbacks also make it clear that in a better world, he should never have been doing this in the first place, and that Mariah and Diamondback were always the real threats.

It's a lot of :words: but whatever, I actually like Cottonmouth a lot in context.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

A shitload, yes, and as of Episode 8, She does not

This is what I like to hear!

I wonder if she'll get the arm by the time Defenders rolls around.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I finished the first 4 episodes this morning, but I gotta go work all drat day now. I quite liked it, though Cottonmouth seems a lot weaker as a villain than any of the others presented in the Netflix series. The soundtrack definitely helps, but I could definitely use some more Wu Tang Clan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrAristocrates posted:

I can't really agree here. Major spoilers through Episode 9, I guess: Cottonmouth is kind of presented as a pretender, never as any sort of real threat, while what made Fisk terrifying was that you eventually realized that his manbaby exterior was hiding a man constantly barely able to control his simmering rage. Cottonmouth is Fisk without pretensions, but he also doesn't have enough power to really make Fisk's impact. Mariah killing him and taking over is sort of the only direction the story can go, because once Luke takes all Stokes' money he loses most of that essential power and it leaves him floundering. Cottonmouth is threatening only because it's never clear when he'll be willing to break his own "rules," and what he considers enough of a violation to cross certain lines. There's a realization that even with all his access he never actually had that much power because to a certain extent he was always under Diamondback's heel. He's brutal, sure, but that's not really enough to make him all that scary. His flashbacks also make it clear that in a better world, he should never have been doing this in the first place, and that Mariah and Diamondback were always the real threats.

It's a lot of :words: but whatever, I actually like Cottonmouth a lot in context.

The thing for me is, I didn't really like Fisk. He felt to me like a genuine supervillain with all the exaggerated and eccentric personality that goes with it while the series was still waffling whether Murdock was likewise a superhero or not, and I preferred the series when it leaned towards not - I liked Daredevil vs Punisher a heck of a lot more than Daredevil vs The Hand, for example. Fisk felt horribly out of place to me and I didn't like how the series handled him. Cottonmouth feels much more threatening to me because he feels much more realistic and grounded. I could never buy Fisk as an actual New York crime lord in a plausible version of real life, but I absolutely could see someone like Cottonmouth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Your mileage may vary, I guess. I loved that parts of Fisk seemed bizarre and strange and overdone because, holy poo poo, here's a dude constantly struggling just to function properly because he's so deep in denial about what a complete and utter monster he is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have been binging on this since midnight and this is now my favorite of the Netflix series. I didn't watch past the first episode of JJ because of Purple Man as the villain (I hated the comic series too because of him) so I really didn't get to see Colter as Luke, but goddamn. It may be worth fast forwarding through it just to see his scenes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That's insane.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is the same kind of criticism that people had with daredevil but its so weird how you have cops that know "super-heroes" exist, have [ep2] literally asked the main character how they were shot but have no wounds, including loving holes in their shirt and keep pondering like oh what is going on here. It doesn't really detract from the show except that it means they miss out on exploring potentially interesting stuff, like the ethics of whether you stop someone because they aren't a cop, that you literally cant stop them anyway etc etc

edit: alright maybe they finally fucken learned...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 30, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Not liking something is insane? At least I don't bitch about it. I read the entire series then watched the first episode. I saw they were pretty much doing a reasonably close retelling of ALIAS and I didn't like the series so why should I continue watching?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

From my understanding it's not that close, for one. It'd depend on why you didn't like Alias, but also just watching those scenes would be weird.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I came here to post just because holy gently caress the music is good in this show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not liking something is insane? At least I don't bitch about it. I read the entire series then watched the first episode. I saw they were pretty much doing a reasonably close retelling of ALIAS and I didn't like the series so why should I continue watching?

Your posts read like you didn't like either just because a villain you don't like the idea of was in it. Which is a dumb reason to disregard something out of hand.

Someone tell me the ep 7 twist

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Escobarbarian posted:

Your posts read like you didn't like either just because a villain you don't like the idea of was in it. Which is a dumb reason to disregard something out of hand.

You just said you definitely weren't watching Luke Cage because some internet article called it the most important show of 2016. Pot, kettle, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

107: Mariah murders Cottonmouth

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This show is really drat good. I like that they really did a good job of making it completely different in tone and just everything to the other Netflix shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrAristocrates posted:

Your mileage may vary, I guess. I loved that parts of Fisk seemed bizarre and strange and overdone because, holy poo poo, here's a dude constantly struggling just to function properly because he's so deep in denial about what a complete and utter monster he is.

I adored that performance in season 1. It's like every sentence was a struggle to get through.

Wasn't as big a fan after that though.