Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Which version of the original Mad Max is the High Octane collection going to have? Is it the newer, better one, or the old lovely one?

E: Also are these the same transfers for the other two films that are already out, or are they new? If it's the bad version of the first one and the same transfers as the other two, I think I'll just grab the Fury Road two-pack. That documentary about the series sounds interesting, but not $70 for double dips and an inferior version of one of the films interesting.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Which version of the original Mad Max is the High Octane collection going to have? Is it the newer, better one, or the old lovely one?

E: Also are these the same transfers for the other two films that are already out, or are they new? If it's the bad version of the first one and the same transfers as the other two, I think I'll just grab the Fury Road two-pack. That documentary about the series sounds interesting, but not $70 for double dips and an inferior version of one of the films interesting.

There's been no new transfers announced, so I'm pretty sure they're the ones that already existed.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, I'm curious about those documentaries, but I already got gifted the original box set, and watching Fury Road in colour is good enough for me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is the Black and White cut of Fury Road also silent?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I would expect the following for the Mad Max High Octane Collection

Mad Max - Reuse of the previously released MGM disc, not the Shout Factory one

Road Warrior - Reuse of the second Blu-ray released by Warner Bros. (lossless audio and AVC compression, but same base transfer)

Beyond Thunderdome - Reuse of the only existing Blu-ray

Fury Road Black & Chrome Edition makes no mention of being silent, but you can just mute your TV/sound system (and to cut this off at the pass - you can't just desaturate the colors on your TV to recreate the black & white aspect, true regrading is necessary).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I asked about the silent cut because I figured if they recut it for silence they might include parts of the scores. A recreation of the live band experience or something.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
An isolated score soundtrack would be interesting, but I can't seem to find info about whether it's included or not (so that makes me think its not).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When Miller originally talked about this version it sounded like it was going to be silent (or more accurately, a score only thing), but there's been nothing about the sound either way for this one. That makes me think it's probably not going to have any audio changes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$5.04 each

Stargate (+ Digital HD) https://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Blu...7414c8ce5c7c0a7
Total Recall (+ Digital HD) https://www.amazon.com/Total-Recall...1778bbb00d0bea8
Warrior https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Blu-...096d4aa3d6733c4

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

When Miller originally talked about this version it sounded like it was going to be silent (or more accurately, a score only thing), but there's been nothing about the sound either way for this one. That makes me think it's probably not going to have any audio changes.

The leaked version of Black & Chrome mutes the dialog to almost nothing, but that may be an internet fan creation unrelated to what goes on the disc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the new 4K restoration of An American Werewolf in London is pretty amazing.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Fuuuuuck. I rewatched my blu of it a few months ago and the transfer was worse than I remembered. Sh the ol quadruple dip. Ugh.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like the new 4K restoration of An American Werewolf in London is pretty amazing.

"I'm not having a good time here!"

Is this from Scream Factory?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CPL593H posted:

"I'm not having a good time here!"

Is this from Scream Factory?

Nah, straight from Universal.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

It's funny cause if you read the Blu-ray.com forums, you'd think that new American Werewolf release is a crime against humanity or something. I think the preview pics looks great. What's wrong with people at that site? I was reading a thread there awhile ago about "black crush" on Sony Blu-rays (I don't see what they're talking about), and someone there found the phone number for the D.O.P. on one of the black crushed movies and called him to see if he could get the disc recalled.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ultraviolence123 posted:

It's funny cause if you read the Blu-ray.com forums, you'd think that new American Werewolf release is a crime against humanity or something. I think the preview pics looks great. What's wrong with people at that site? I was reading a thread there awhile ago about "black crush" on Sony Blu-rays (I don't see what they're talking about), and someone there found the phone number for the D.O.P. on one of the black crushed movies and called him to see if he could get the disc recalled.

Man I would love to get a random phone call from someone I don't know talking about the detail level in the blacks.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

ultraviolence123 posted:

People have different knowledge levels, enthusiasm levels, and standards for certain things. I certainly wouldn't argue that such issues are real-world "important," and calling some random guy with your complaints is off the deep end, but I'm also not a fan of people who don't care saying "what a bunch of nutjobs, what with their knowing technical details and caring about the presentation of their movies."

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They've DNRed the gently caress out of it and added a fake noise filter, at least that's my guess based on what I've seen of it. It looks surprisingly decent in places but it's a little artificial.

The movie has always looked pretty rough, like the actual film stock they used was low quality.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

The smeary caps were taken wrong. Some other guy posted awful caps of The Ten Commandments prior to release that caused a stir... and the disc turned out to be perfect. Someone had the wrong settings. I wait for reviews on the main site or DVD Beaver. That cap I posted was from another user that confirmed to be doing 1:1 caps.

Universal isn't going to Predator a film they scanned in 6K and restored in 4K. Some of them think Jaws looks smeary when it looks fantastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino will be losing rights to the Buster Keaton features soon and Cohen Media will start releasing new editions from 4K restorations.

The titles are The Saphead, Three Ages, Sherlock Jr., Our Hospitality, The Navigator, Seven Chances, Go West, Battling Butler, College, The General, and Steamboat Bill Jr.

This doesn't seem to be affecting Kino's recent set of Keaton's short films (his own shorts and the ones directed by Fatty Arbuckle that starred him)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$6.99 - Jaws (with UV code) https://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Blu-ray...9a21b0a414d474e

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I five dollars want this. Anyone want to buy the UV code for two bucks?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chopping Mall just went back up to $40 on Amazon after being $30. Is that Amazon screwing around or the distributor?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Chopping Mall just went back up to $40 on Amazon after being $30. Is that Amazon screwing around or the distributor?

When they first announced the pre-order months ago it was 27.99 then all of the "Vestron" reissue blu-rays mysteriously went up to 40 bucks. My guess is Lionsgate saw how excited horror nerds got about them and figured it would be a great idea to jack up the prices. The fantastic news is people are probably going to be less willing to buy them now and they'll take this as a sign that no one wants these things and it will basically slam the door shut on their massive horror back catalog.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

When they first announced the pre-order months ago it was 27.99 then all of the "Vestron" reissue blu-rays mysteriously went up to 40 bucks. My guess is Lionsgate saw how excited horror nerds got about them and figured it would be a great idea to jack up the prices. The fantastic news is people are probably going to be less willing to buy them now and they'll take this as a sign that no one wants these things and it will basically slam the door shut on their massive horror back catalog.
Waxwork I&II are actually a bigger draw for me so I went and locked that down today because it's $30 right now. Why a single movie costs more than a double feature that you could actually justify charging $40 for is beyond me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Literally zero chance I'm paying loving $40 for Chopping Mall, even if Paul Bartel shows up.

Chopping Mall's pretty great, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new Shout Select Bill & Ted box set is pretty loving great.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$6.99 - In The Heart Of The Sea https://www.amazon.com/In-the-Heart...5fed8cda7b67d1b

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

The new Shout Select Bill & Ted box set is pretty loving great.

I just wanted the George Carlin action figure but I didn't want to shell out 80 bucks for all the other stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It seems cool but its dissapointing that keanu is still a twat about that movie though. Would've been nice to get a commentary with him.

Also wouldve been nice to get some of the other stuff like the cartoons or the universal parks show stuff

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Abu Dave posted:

It seems cool but its dissapointing that keanu is still a twat about that movie though. Would've been nice to get a commentary with him.
What? I always heard Keanu was totally into Bill and Ted, is that not the case?

Is he at least into Freaked? Because Freaked is the best.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Keanu's said he's ready to do Bill & Ted 3 for a while now so he can't hate it too much

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He isn't in any of the commentaries, but he's very present in the new documentaries they put together for it. Him and Winter are in the same interview segments together, and a lot of their stuff is just talking about how great the characters are and how much they love the movies. They also tell a story about how they randomly ran into Carlin shortly before he died while they were out getting dinner together and he just happened to be in the same restaurant. He doesn't seem like he's against or too good for those movies at all, probably just too busy due to being Keanu loving Reeves to do commentary tracks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vince MechMahon posted:

He isn't in any of the commentaries, but he's very present in the new documentaries they put together for it. Him and Winter are in the same interview segments together, and a lot of their stuff is just talking about how great the characters are and how much they love the movies. They also tell a story about how they randomly ran into Carlin shortly before he died while they were out getting dinner together and he just happened to be in the same restaurant. He doesn't seem like he's against or too good for those movies at all, probably just too busy due to being Keanu loving Reeves to do commentary tracks.

How many commentaries has he done over the years?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

How many commentaries has he done over the years?

Good point, I don't think he's ever done any. He seems like a pretty stoic dude. On one of the documentaries Winter makes a joke and it makes him literally double over laughing, though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

is there a comprehensive list of Blu-Ray releases only available in Region B/C? I'm toying with the idea of going region free but I need to justify it by seeing what all I'm currently missing out on.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

is there a comprehensive list of Blu-Ray releases only available in Region B/C? I'm toying with the idea of going region free but I need to justify it by seeing what all I'm currently missing out on.

just do it, it's cheap enough these days and you will not regret it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rusty Staub posted:

just do it, it's cheap enough these days and you will not regret it

Any recommendations on which player to buy, and where to buy it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any recommendations on which player to buy, and where to buy it?

I was recommended this one the other day

I plan to buy a refurb'd one for $109-119.

I'd love more recommendations as well though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Good point, I don't think he's ever done any. He seems like a pretty stoic dude. On one of the documentaries Winter makes a joke and it makes him literally double over laughing, though.

I think its probably more that he's had a really hot career going for like 25 years now, and free time is at a premium. He's doing like 3 movies a year, when he's got time off he probably takes vacations and poo poo, not sitting in a room doing commentaries. I know since he had those personal tragedies years ago he became much more private, so maybe that's a part of it.

• Locked thread