Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DLC Case

That was ok. Might be the weakest case in the entire game, but I wouldn't call it bad. I called not only the true culprit, but his real identity waaaaayyyy early. I'm SUPER disappointed time travel wasn't actually involved. When I heard there was a time travel case and that Larry and Edgeworth were involved, I fully expected that you'd have to time travel to AA1 and do some wacky poo poo. I even maintained that hope after it was revealed that the two receptions were a ruse, because I was expecting that to be a Masque De Masque style double fakeout. It's really hard for me to look past this missed opportunity and appreciate the case for what it is right now, but it's safe to say it doesn't stack up to the AA5 DLC case. And yeah, I get that having Maya be your assistant and Edgeworth be the prosecutor and Larry be involved is a form of time travel in and of itself, but it's still not what I wanted.

Speaking of Edgeworth, I thought he was acting kinda dickish for post-enlightenment Edgeworth, especially his multiple calls to end the trial immediately. If you care about the truth so much why are you in such a big rush, you dickhead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

DLC Case

Speaking of Edgeworth, I thought he was acting kinda dickish for post-enlightenment Edgeworth, especially his multiple calls to end the trial immediately. If you care about the truth so much why are you in such a big rush, you dickhead?

Yeah, I thought the same. The writing in the whole case seemed a bit 'off' to me in a way I can't quite put my finger on. It's kinda weird coming from the same team who did Investigations 2 and Edgeworth's part in Dual Destinies

Also, what is Blackquill up to these days, aside from being a weeb and tough loving on Athena? Edgeworth makes numerous references to the prosecutor's office being full of crooks and bitches and that's why he has to ship in Nahyuta or take on cases himself, but he went to great lengths to get Simon off the hook and it seems weird that he doesn't even get mentioned in passing. Also I guess we're still pretending Gavin is a competent prosecutor and he's around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Yeah, I thought the same. The writing in the whole case seemed a bit 'off' to me in a way I can't quite put my finger on. It's kinda weird coming from the same team who did Investigations 2 and Edgeworth's part in Dual Destinies

Also, what is Blackquill up to these days, aside from being a weeb and tough loving on Athena? Edgeworth makes numerous references to the prosecutor's office being full of crooks and bitches and that's why he has to ship in Nahyuta or take on cases himself, but he went to great lengths to get Simon off the hook and it seems weird that he doesn't even get mentioned in passing. Also I guess we're still pretending Gavin is a competent prosecutor and he's around.

Simon's just on a break after getting out of prison. He deserves some time off.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
DLC, not much of a spoiler

Edgeworth, you complete fucker.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Classic Edgeworth.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Maybe Edgeworth acting like it was AA1 is a form of time travel itself

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's 100% intended to be like time travel back to an original trilogy game, yeah.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
DLC Talk!

I liked the case a bunch but I wouldn't say it was as good as DD's DLC case. But that thing set a REALLY high bar.

Personally, I saw it as Edgeworth being Edgeworth. He's always just prosecuted his way unless there was something behind the scenes going on making things more dangerous.
Don't forget what he's said about finding the truth - It's only when the prosecutor and defense attorney butt heads that the truth makes itself known. And Phoenix is at his best when
he's being majorly pressed. Remember: It was only just last game that the dude accused Athena of killing her mother.

Edgeworth might be enlightened. But in court he's still a dick for finding the truth. :v: So I don't think it's a weird change or actually anykind of change at all.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

What annoyed me the most about the DLC was How they kept teasing us with having Athena getting to do something for once in this case and Phoenix just goes "Ahaha, nope, silly Athena, you're just a pointless side character!" and then it's repeated about four times over the course of the case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/781871978567364608

God dammit Crunchy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Full game non-DLC spoilers:

Maya really didn't feel like Maya throughout this game, and I think it was the writing. Granted, she was accused of murder in case 3 and was just kind of being used in case 5, but nothing really felt right with her.

Early DLC spoilers, through first day investigation:

NOW Maya feels like Maya! Investigating with her feels juuuust right. If there's an AA7 I hope that Athena is the lead attorney for most of it and I hope that Maya helps her with investigations. I really want to see more of the two of them interacting.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
DLC Phoenix seems to be as fed up with Larry as I am. I didn't hate him before but come the gently caress on man, you're 34 years old and you're trying to push yourself on a 21 year old married woman. Phoenix grew up a lot in the last seven years, but Larry seems like he's regressed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Echoing the sentiment that the DLC case was just OK. The loving butler actually did it, goddamnit. :cripes: That Sephiroth hair wasn't doing his suspicion any favours. I'm super disappointed we didn't get any Mood Matrix segments. And wow that Thought Route was a major wet fart.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Echoing the sentiment that the DLC case was just OK. The loving butler actually did it, goddamnit. :cripes: That Sephiroth hair wasn't doing his suspicion any favours. I'm super disappointed we didn't get any Mood Matrix segments. And wow that Thought Route was a major wet fart.

Right up until the thought route I was convinced that (DLC case ending spoilers) the Time Keeper was some kind of video camera, maybe holographic, that Sorin had invented to record an image of his wedding day because he knew he wouldn't be able to remember it. It seemed obvious that the thought route would have you deducing the machine's purpose from his memory issues, then you would activate the Time Keeper again and it would show you images that seem entirely useless but actually contain the final piece of evidence you need to prove the real murderer.

And then it turned out to be ugly papier mache models under glass. That was a bit disappointing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, the DLC was pretty mediocre. I guessed who did it as soon as they turned up, and deduced their identity as soon as I saw the pocketwatch in Selena's photo. There weren't any good twists or swerves, which are the interesting parts. Also I don't like Larry and didn't miss him. Oh well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I quite liked the DLC. The culprit was obvious but that's true of like 90% of AA cases and I liked that he had a sinister controlling attitude without being an in-your-face rear end in a top hat for most of the case. I enjoyed the throwback to the Phoenix/Edgeworth dynamic, and how they were competitive but also needling each other over stupid poo poo like old friends do. The actual mechanics of the case were kindof lame (especially the thought route) but I liked the case-specific characters well enough and I feel like the case made sense on an emotional level.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC

"you can have this fingerprint powder"

Ema, I like you but gently caress off with that poo poo, it doesn't work proper in this game!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DLC

"you can have this fingerprint powder"

Ema, I like you but gently caress off with that poo poo, it doesn't work proper in this game!

At the very least it worked best here, ha.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2016/10/01/one-grand-finale-weddings-rakugo-and-succession

The final dev blog!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This dude seems like he'd be really annoying to talk to.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This dude seems like he'd be really annoying to talk to.

Say what? He sounds like he's fun to talk to.

Also nice to see a bunch of stuff I thought was happening turned out right. Also the fact the major reason the rakugo case exists is that they *really* wanted to use a pun. (Also as a breather buy still).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did you guys know that Apollo moderated the last Presidential debate?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

This owns

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Raxivace posted:

this is spectacular

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Edgeworth really needs to get a girlfriend.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Edgeworth really needs to get a girlfriend.
Miles Edgeworth is the kind of man who comes in from an international flight at 1 in the morning and decides "I'm going to my office."

Speaking of Investigations, things I wish would come into the main series from spinoffs: Cross Examination Presto & voiced witness intros and breakdowns. Multi-witnesses can stay in spinoff land, it's a good place for them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

mabels big day posted:

a girlfriend.

I don't think Edgey swings that way

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sea Sponge Run posted:

He's married to his work

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sea Sponge Run posted:

That's unsubstantiated.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the DLC and I liked it, but it's certainly a more somber serious tone then I expected given the silly premise and how the last games DLC was. I think that's something that wound up hurting it for me because (general spoilers) as silly as it would of been I was expecting real genuine time travel and some kind of hijinks with that to take place leading to some lighter stuff happening instead of the time travel we got.

Honestly day 1 was a drag and could of been better but day 2 is what saved it for me even if Pierce was only on the stand for a grand total of 5 minutes before his break down.

Totally incorrect guess I had early on was he was the killer but he did it because he loved Sorin. For a long while I thought the two male pegamoo's were hinting at that.

Also man last time I played the original trilogy was around their original release but I don't remember Larry being this loving awful in those games. Is my memory faulty or did they reeeally ratchet him up in this? I kinda came away hating him by the end of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larry was fine in 1 and his first appearance in 3. In 3-5, he was getting there, but it ended with him realizing that maybe he needed to change himself.

THEN INVESTIGATIONS HAPPENED and multiple characters just kinda got flanderized to hell.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ah that's a shame.

One thing I sincerely hope moving forward is that someone gets a memo that these games need way more characters. Like a lot more. It's kind of bland and boring knowing who the villain of each mystery is the second you see them because the only NPC's involved with models are the Defendant, Witness 1 and Guilty Party that follows after them.

Like you can instantly tell who the guilty person is even with that because all the criminals have some kind of wacky design you can tell they're going to use as props for their breakdown animation. I want to juggle between a bunch of different testimonies dangit :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, (Case 3) I was expecting Beh'leeb's portrait of Tahrust to be used in a breakdown, but then the feels train happened.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ah that's a shame.

One thing I sincerely hope moving forward is that someone gets a memo that these games need way more characters. Like a lot more. It's kind of bland and boring knowing who the villain of each mystery is the second you see them because the only NPC's involved with models are the Defendant, Witness 1 and Guilty Party that follows after them.

Like you can instantly tell who the guilty person is even with that because all the criminals have some kind of wacky design you can tell they're going to use as props for their breakdown animation. I want to juggle between a bunch of different testimonies dangit :smith:

*nods*

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, (Case 3) I was expecting Beh'leeb's portrait of Tahrust to be used in a breakdown, but then the feels train happened.

Yeah I definitely was expecting her veil to come off and for her to be the most vicious killer, killing both her beloved husband of several decades and the perfect monk... but then I ended up just being cry too. That's why case 3 was one of my faves.

More characters also means more puns and more designs, so yes please.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Wasn't there an actual interview where someone said Edgeworth wasn't interested in woman?

Of course, this being Japan, if there was it was probably meant in a "he's married to the job" way, not a "he's ace/gay" way.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

While the DLC may not have been the greatest case in the series, or even the game, I still had a blast (DLC and Full Game Spoilers) interacting with all the old AA characters. And while I haven't played AAI2 yet past the first case, if I can survive Larry in the last case of AAI1 I can tolerate him here. I'm pretty sure that had to be his peak annoyingness.

And while I WOULD like more characters in some of these cases, I honestly think it fairly obvious who the real killer is most of the time anyways, the real thrill for me is finding out how it all fit together. Though, yeah the DLC had several things that were maybe a bit too obvious. I mean, I know there's ridiculous things in this series, and Phoenix kinda does his thing of throwing things out there to eventually try and figure things out, but the way he was so fixated on actual time travel on the first day was just a little farfetched. Especially when this whole double event thing has already cropped up for him a few times before!

If there's anything I want more from this series, it's more rear end in a top hat villains. These kinda sympathetic ones are a little bit of a buzz kill when you finally nail them. I mean, they're murderers and all that, but if I recall correctly, that's the death penalty in this universe, and Geiru and Pierce just don't seem hate-able enough to wish that on them

Anyways, now I'm sad there'll be no new Ace Attorenying for another few years. At least I have AAI2 to still get through, and it's been a long enough time that I can play through the older ones again, but that's never the same. :(.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm OK with Larry and Oldbag in AAI because Edgeworth having a crisis over them being the cast of the Steel Samurai stage show was hilarious. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Oldbag was funny once in that game, but they really shouldn't have used that exact same joke in two different cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
You know who I'd like a follow-up on? Ron DeLite aka Mask☆DeMasque. I wonder what delightful shenanigans he and his hot biker wife have gotten up to.