Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Step 1:
Punch the Bursar, Burr, sir.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

How do I get into this podcast and understand any of the lingo in this thread

Read the wiki and understand that the further back you go the worse the audio quality will be. Episode 5 was my first and so my favorite but it sounds awful.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Step 1:
Punch the Bursar, Burr, sir.

You must be Aaron Burr, Sir.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Literally posted:

You must be Aaron Burr, Sir.

I'M HAMILTON!
1776!

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Let's do a quick lexicon:

Rod Dreher : Writes for The American Conservative. Trans-phobic.
Ross Douthout: A New York Times columnist and Never-Trump conservative.
Dennis Prager: Martial Rape Advocate.
Ron Fournier: Both sides are wrong. The truth is in the middle. Love that boy.

Feel free to add on.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Image Comics also released a prequel miniseries about the CIA breaking the hosts out of a Turkish prison in return for their loyalty and a lot of the call backs don't make sense without reading it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My favorite is Freeway Ross Douthat. The reading series with him rejecting an actual woman and running off to the sexual paradise of William Buckley's loving yacht was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
im PepeHimmler48

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Literally posted:

Let's do a quick lexicon:

Rod Dreher : Writes for The American Conservative. Trans-phobic.
Ross Douthout: A New York Times columnist and Never-Trump conservative.
Dennis Prager: Martial Rape Advocate.
Ron Fournier: Both sides are wrong. The truth is in the middle. Love that boy.

Feel free to add on.

Erdogan: our glorious leader
Gülen: traitor to the Turkish state

Birdstrike posted:

im PepeHimmler48

I'm a member of the family folk group Zyklon Bae.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

It looks like someone found a trove of Arthur Chu's wife's tweets where she bitches and moans about him.

https://twitter.com/baltimorematt/status/781351526954569728

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

beep by grandpa posted:

Do you accept that the turk does in fact lust for Vienna?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

We're really not that far in. Start from the beginning and listen to them all.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Image Comics also released a prequel miniseries about the CIA breaking the hosts out of a Turkish prison in return for their loyalty and a lot of the call backs don't make sense without reading it.

No way.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

I had no idea what any of this poo poo was before listening to the podcast other than having read Salon quite a bit and I picked up on things pretty quickly. The people that are strictly twitter personalities might be hard to follow but the conservative commenters speak for themselves.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think it's good that RedKahina has a hobby that gets her out of the house. The alternative would be for her to die a miserable death in a mansion full top to bottom with stacked newspapers and mummified cat carcasses.

in other news, truth is more horrible than fiction.

https://twitter.com/fungumchum/status/781519510566088704

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Oh god those are more depressing than funny.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I've been a grey wolf since the beginning and i dont know wtf a tanky is. Are they communists? Pls help

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thom and the Heads posted:

I've been a grey wolf since the beginning and i dont know wtf a tanky is. Are they communists? Pls help

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tankie

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I dunno if there's that much lingo there's just a lot of in-jokes and callbacks.

tankies - hardcore leftist Stalin apologists who think Chapo is a CIA-backed propaganda operation
trad-Cath - traditional Catholics, the type that think Vatican II was modernist liberal heresy
volcel - voluntarily celibate, a man who chooses to not cum in order to preserve his male essence and vitality. The Chapo Boys are proof positive of the power of the volcel lifestyle and how failure is actually success.
incel - involuntarily celibate, someone who has never hosed because they're a gross nerd and/or men's rights activist.

Here are a few good early episodes to introduce you to some of the major in-jokes:

Ep 3, the adventures of Ross Douthat
Ep 6, an analysis of Batman v. Superman as Turkish politics
Ep 10, love that boy Ron Fournier

but really you should listen to all the episodes. If you're an SA forums poster your brain is sufficiently broken by the internet you don't need to be a Twitter user at all to get the jokes.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

volcel - voluntarily celibate, a man who chooses to not cum in order to preserve his male essence and vitality. The Chapo Boys are proof positive of the power of the volcel lifestyle and how failure is actually success.

I don't remember what episode this was but it cracked me the gently caress up and still does any time I think about it: Felix says something like "yeah when I'm about to cum..." Will and Matt start flipping out, Felix realizes what he said and is like WAIT NO, I WAS DOING A BIT I WAS DOING A BIT! IT'S NOT REAL I NEVER CUM!

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 29, 2016

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Thom and the Heads posted:

For some western communists, the Soviet deployment of armed forces to suppress the Hungarian revolution in 1956 was a line in the sand, and many left "official" Soviet-aligned communist parties in reaction. Those who remained and defended the action were called tankies.

Obviously, not many people now labelled as such were alive or communist party members at the time. It's become a more general term to disparage apologists for the Soviet Union (which can be anything from "literally doesn't believe anyone was killed under Stalin" to "thinks that there is anything to learn from the Soviet Union").

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't remember what episode this was but it cracked me the gently caress up and still does any time I think about it: Felix says something like "yeah when I'm about to cum..." Will and Matt start flipping out, Felix realizes what he said and is like WAIT NO, I WAS DOING A BIT I WAS DOING A BIT! IT'S NOT REAL I NEVER CUM!

First live show

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Jeremy posted:

My favorite is Freeway Ross Douthat. The reading series with him rejecting an actual woman and running off to the sexual paradise of William Buckley's loving yacht was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

"You may have, quote unquote, mondo juggs, but do you have the heart of values, or a decrepit old man on a sailboat?"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

No loving way lmao

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nineteen forty-eight
Tel Aviv city
I am Ben-Gurion!

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
David Ben Gurion
My name is David Ben-Gurion
And there are still hotels I haven't bombed
But just you wait
Just you wait

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
What was that article they were making fun of in the past month or two that defended Saudi Arabia as being Totally Not Bad At All and was like "they have an innovation college with women, and less beheadings for blasphemy then before!"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Slanderer posted:

What was that article they were making fun of in the past month or two that defended Saudi Arabia as being Totally Not Bad At All and was like "they have an innovation college with women, and less beheadings for blasphemy then before!"

Gotchu

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And here's the annotated version!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

fatherboxx posted:

Nineteen forty-eight
Tel Aviv city
I am Ben-Gurion!

Ben Gurion wearing a black turtleneck looks at a bunch of Palestinians and their families and homes and he's like,

"THERES GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"He's from Spain, you're using an Italian accent, and you named him Pierre? :raise:"

Cum Town best town.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

thx fam

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

I think it's good that RedKahina has a hobby that gets her out of the house. The alternative would be for her to die a miserable death in a mansion full top to bottom with stacked newspapers and mummified cat carcasses.

in other news, truth is more horrible than fiction.

https://twitter.com/fungumchum/status/781519510566088704

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMFxpaoGNY

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

lol at chu's shoe but holy poo poo are the cum town boys' laughs obnoxious as hell

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lol at chu's shoe but holy poo poo are the cum town boys' laughs obnoxious as hell

That one dude who laughs like Elijah wood's character in Eternal Sunshine is the main barrier keeping me from fully enjoying the show

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i find stav's laugh completely infectious :saddowns:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ending with the Gregorian chant cover of Lady in Red was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Only one really bothers me but you get used to things like that when you listen to a podcast long enough.