Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
P3P was better than P3 on PS2 imo due to being handheldable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baal posted:

It won't have gay romances no matter how much you want it to

Boo

Cake Attack posted:

I guarantee P5 cannot run on the vita

They would have said that it was coming to Vita alooong time ago if it was

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

P3P was better than P3 on PS2 imo due to being handheldable.

P3P wins by default because it has the real canon protagonist, feMC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

All the dialogue is going to turn out to be super terrible and you're going to have an egg on your face

That's Atlus USA's fault then, the Japnese voices are great and the dialogue is v fun and snappy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope it has Liam O'Brien

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Baal posted:

a kid plays a vita on the train to school

I can't suspend my disbelief that much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope it has Liam O'Brien

I'd like him too but he's been in non-Union productions significantly less as of recent years and will prob not be in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even if they somehow completely flub P5's translation the game itself is more stylish and has better gameplay design than either P3 or P4 did.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'll admit I wasn't that excited for P5 because I didn't think Atlus had it in them to surpass P4. I'm glad to hear I was way off base.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

P5 will be a fine game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ImpAtom posted:

has better gameplay design than either P3 or P4 did.

How so? Trailers have made it look more or less the same, imo. I would be significantly more excited if it is in fact doing something new.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
t

Saoshyant posted:

P5 will be a fine game.

turtleneck girl is my waifu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

How so? Trailers have made it look more or less the same, imo. I would be significantly more excited if it is in fact doing something new.

1) All the game's dungeons are now actually designed dungeons rather than randomly generated which gives them better pacing and more involvement. There is a randomly generated dungeon like in P3/P4 but it's not where you'll be spending most of your time and is generally faster and easier to get through so it doesn't feel like a chore.

2) Combat is faster and better paced. The new Baton Touch mechanics mean that you're not stuck wasting your protagonist's SP. The stealth mechanics make it more interesting to actually avoid combat and conserve SP if you want and the game's focus on getting stealth attacks and defeating the enemy before they can attack feels like a solid improvement over P3/4's system in terms of general engagement

3) Adding in Mind and Nuclear damage means there is no longer the same 'overlap' in characters that got you things like Chie and Teddie both having ice spells, allowing them to make every character more distinctive.

4) Going back to demons makes the fights feel a bit more interesting and the Hold Up mechanic is the best integration of the Demon Negotiation mechanic to date.

5) Co-Ops are a big improvement over Commu/Social Links as now rather than being encouraged to just focus on your party member every character you can spend time with has actual mechanical benefits in the dungeon.

6) There's a lot of tiny mechanical changes which serve to make the game just smoother to play. There's a button that automatically targets enemy weak points if you've discovered them for example so you don't have to fumble around with persona changing for example.

It's not a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME but almost every single mechanic from P4 has been improved on in P5.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

mikeycp posted:

Dungeons have actual designs now instead of just being randomly generated hallways for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My major complaints about P5 are:

A) It keeps the protagonist dying = game over thing which is annoying because it is basically the cause of 90% of game overs.
B) Some of the dungeons are a bit too long for their own good if you try to take them in a single day. (Which you're naturally going to want to do.) The game tries to encourage you to take them in multiple days in a variety of ways but y'know, you're gonna wanna try to 1-day most of that stuff.
C) The game can get surprisingly dark at times and then veer sharply into being kinda silly. This is a problem P3 and P4 had too but P5's execution of the dark elements can make the different pretty noticable.
D) You can't gay date Yusuke.
E) If you're good at min-maxing it can get pretty drat easy (again a P3/P4 problem). When I play the US version I'm probably gonna start on Hard.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I really need to sit down and finish Hashtag Iron Session Tokyo and Cold Steel 2 first so I'm gonna call Atlus and tell them to delay P5 NA a few more months. Sorry everyone else.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm interested in hearing more about this

ImpAtom posted:

The new Baton Touch mechanics mean that you're not stuck wasting your protagonist's SP. The stealth mechanics make it more interesting to actually avoid combat and conserve SP if you want and the game's focus on getting stealth attacks and defeating the enemy before they can attack feels like a solid improvement over P3/4's system in terms of general engagement

This is in a Persona game??

ImpAtom posted:

Demon Negotiation

This is good.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a button that automatically targets enemy weak points if you've discovered them for example so you don't have to fumble around with persona changing for example.

I don't care too much about dungeons. I'm mostly just tired of the Persona battle system. I got tired of it like a third of the way into 4, after having binged on 3 right before it. Plus #FE might've ruined other JRPGs for me with how fresh the session system felt.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly sessions are my least favorite SMT "hit a weakness, good things happen" mechanic

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I really really like just about everything about the mechanics of that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

I don't care too much about dungeons. I'm mostly just tired of the Persona battle system. I got tired of it like a third of the way into 4, after having binged on 3 right before it. Plus #FE might've ruined other JRPGs for me with how fresh the session system felt.

Yeah, basically the way it works is this:

On the field you have a mild stealth element. You can hide behind objects/warp from object to object/just avoid enemy LoS. If you get caught by an enemy they WILL charge at you incredibly quickly and will build the Alert meter for the dungeon they're in. Higher alert is bad. However you can sneak up behind an enemy and stealth attack them which allows your entire team to act once before the enemy does. However this "Chance" attack means the enemy will attack at the end of your turn, not that you get a free turn with no counter. Damage is more akin to SMTIV where enemies AND your party hit hard and the goal is to finish enemies before they act because they will do a lot of damage if they get to act.

Baton Touch lets you swap between characters. Basically if you Critical Hit or Weakness Hit you can choose to baton touch to another character which gives them an action and boosts their damage for their next action. It's not unlike Sessions in that it lets you chain partner actions together but more controlled (and mercifully less repetitive)

It's still the same SMT "go for enemy weak point" combat but it's fast and enjoyable.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ok. Sessions but better sounds really really good to me. Congrats. You were the one to make me interested in Persona 5.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Congrats. You were the one to make me interested in Persona 5.

Well, for me it was the lady with the whip, but to each their own.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Saoshyant posted:

Are the Dick Demons still in?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Same, but the motorcycle.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I mean, like I said. I was tired of how fighting in those games felt, so I needed something different. Also I wasn't so hot on P4 after being super excited about it before launch, so P5 had to (and still has to since I haven't seen it) prove itself before I'll buy in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A) It keeps the protagonist dying = game over thing which is annoying because it is basically the cause of 90% of game overs.
B) Some of the dungeons are a bit too long for their own good if you try to take them in a single day. (Which you're naturally going to want to do.) The game tries to encourage you to take them in multiple days in a variety of ways but y'know, you're gonna wanna try to 1-day most of that stuff.
C) The game can get surprisingly dark at times and then veer sharply into being kinda silly. This is a problem P3 and P4 had too but P5's execution of the dark elements can make the different pretty noticable.
E) If you're good at min-maxing it can get pretty drat easy (again a P3/P4 problem). When I play the US version I'm probably gonna start on Hard.

I'm glad the game is good and 80% of your complaints are things I can contort into positives so I'm doubly glad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are the Dick Demons still in?

Yes. All the dick demons are still in.

Also another thing I forgot to note is that like SMTIV:A it changes Light and Darkness. You still have instant-kill L/D spells but now they also have traditional attack-based spells instead so fights against light/dark-weak enemies aren't boiled down to "does the RNG roll your instant kill Y/N?"

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Nocturne did A) and it remains my favourite game in the SMT Universe. It's not a bad thing if the game is well balanced around that and makes the protagonist accordingly (which I don't know if it does).

B) Does the game design allow you do not be at a disadvantage if you do them over multiple days? From a non super min-maxing perspective, that is.

D) That's a real shame :(

E) Min-maxing is a thing in most if not all SMT games though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does the game design allow you do not be at a disadvantage if you do them over multiple days? From a non super min-maxing perspective, that is.

Yeah, it's like P3/P4. You lose a day you could be spending on talking with your anime friends. Unless you're going for a perfect no-miss friendship run your first time through losing a single day isn't a big deal.

I'm sure there will be a PERFECT COMMU FAQ by the time the game hits in the US but I'd honestly recommend against it. Getting a Perfect Flawless Run is probably possible but not any fun.

E) Min-maxing is a thing in most if not all SMT games though.

Oh, it totally is. It isn't meaningfully any different here. The game encourages it because you're expected to beat non-bosses in a single turn or else they have the potential to wreck your day.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's like P3/P4. You lose a day you could be spending on talking with your anime friends. Unless you're going for a perfect no-miss friendship run your first time through losing a single day isn't a big deal.

I'm sure there will be a PERFECT COMMU FAQ by the time the game hits in the US but I'd honestly recommend against it. Getting a Perfect Flawless Run is probably possible but not any fun.

Oh, it totally is. It isn't meaningfully any different here. The game encourages it because you're expected to beat non-bosses in a single turn or else they have the potential to wreck your day.

Yeah perfect runs are fun on NG++++++++ or something but going in blind is still the best way for any SMT game (except the Nintendo ones with bad overworld maps ;) ).

Are the dungeons better than normal Persona-style or is it the usual repetition? I hope they took a hint from P2 or SMT dungeon styles but the Story is usually the core feature in Persona games anyway.

I'm not as excited about P5 as I used to be but I'm still very much buying this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he posted about the dungeons earlier

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah perfect runs are fun on NG++++++++ or something but going in blind is still the best way for any SMT game (except the Nintendo ones with bad overworld maps ;) ).

Are the dungeons better than normal Persona-style or is it the usual repetition? I hope they took a hint from P2 or SMT dungeon styles but the Story is usually the core feature in Persona games anyway.

I'm not as excited about P5 as I used to be but I'm still very much buying this.

I mentioned it earlier but yes, every dungeon is an actual designed dungeon and not a random one. The exception is Mementos which is a randomly generated dungeon you can go into to grind/recruit demons/whatever and do side missions for loot. Mementos isn't great but only insomuch as it's pretty much the P3/P4 dungeons while the actual Palaces are better.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I missed that post, thanks for answering nonetheless.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like persona remembering it has Shin Megami Tensei in the title which is gonna be amazeballs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

Sounds like persona remembering it has Shin Megami Tensei in the title which is gonna be amazeballs.

Excellent

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Baal posted:

That's Atlus USA's fault then, the Japnese voices are great and the dialogue is v fun and snappy.

I thought you didn't know Japanese!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Goddammit. Not being able to date Kanji was a black mark on P4. You're killing me Atlus!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

I thought you didn't know Japanese!

I know enough to know Senator Armstrong makes a special guest appearance.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

In Training posted:

Shin Megami Tensei was only added in the localized versions of the Persona games and ironically, Persona 5 looks to be the first which ditches that trend in the US and Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I did this for p4g since I wanted to see all the links I missed the first time through p4 and it was a miserable experience