Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

CaptainViolence posted:

If you lock off your white balance for a whole shoot instead of changing it to match your lighting, you're grossly incompetent (you're a huge prick). :rolleyes:

x2

Also anyone who is out massively over-rigging a DSLR should be embarrassed. You're not fooling anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Does anyone have any experience with the new Hive plasma lights? I'm gaffing a shoot coming up and we're shipping one in from New York to try it out. The DoP and I are considering going in on one since there don't seem to be any in this city and we think we could rent it pretty consistently, but I'd like to hear about anything I might not find out from a day of use.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never had the chance to use them but I'd love to hear your impressions. I've kinda been looking for a new big light and they seem like an interesting option.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone know if the Ninja Flame can do overlays for different aspect ratios?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Do any of you guys have tips for making someone being interviewed on camera look at the camera lens (or at least appear to be looking at it) while they read from a script? We don't have a proper teleprompter, and I'm having a recurring issue where the talent wants the script to be held up near the camera while they read off their parts. But then it becomes really obvious that their eyes aren't looking at the camera. It becomes even worse when their eyes dart back-and-forth between the scripting and the camera. Is it better to hold the scripting behind the camera? Above? Is there a good DIY, budget-friendly solution, out there?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 28, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Do you have an actual teleprompter (or like one of those iPad teleprompter rigs)? Because the text should appear right in front of the camera lens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprompter

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Do you have an actual teleprompter (or like one of those iPad teleprompter rigs)? Because the text should appear right in front of the camera lens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprompter

He mentions he doesn't in his post... but I'd suggest trying to get one or DIY one ASAP! Because other than them memorizing their lines or structuring it like an interview where they are clearly looking at the "interviewer" off camera... it's never going to look good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
:argh: stealth edits!

You can get iPad prompters for ~$300 (or DIY I guess).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

He mentions he doesn't in his post... but I'd suggest trying to get one or DIY one ASAP! Because other than them memorizing their lines or structuring it like an interview where they are clearly looking at the "interviewer" off camera... it's never going to look good.
And that's exactly the issue. 99% of the people I've recorded have never been in front of a camera before, so they always insist on having a script held up, somewhere. I guess I'll be DIYing one, since our budget's already stretched pretty thin.

1st AD posted:

:argh: stealth edits!

You can get iPad prompters for ~$300 (or DIY I guess).
Yeah... there might've been a ninja edit. :ninja:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
They really should just be memorizing it. I know that doesn't help, but nothing is going to look right unless you have an actual beam-splitter mirror. Can you do a documentary-style eyeline off frame right/left?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

melon cat posted:

And that's exactly the issue. 99% of the people I've recorded have never been in front of a camera before, so they always insist on having a script held up, somewhere. I guess I'll be DIYing one, since our budget's already stretched pretty thin.

Yeah... there might've been a ninja edit. :ninja:

Use After Effects to track their face, and then replace their eyes with a pair that are looking right at the camera.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

magnificent7 posted:

Use After Effects to track their face, and then replace their eyes with a pair that are looking right at the camera.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

HA! I've done this with (admittedly) shorter shots before.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slim Killington posted:

They really should just be memorizing it. I know that doesn't help, but nothing is going to look right unless you have an actual beam-splitter mirror. Can you do a documentary-style eyeline off frame right/left?
I try to suggest that as much as possible, but sometimes they want to stare at the camera while making a message of sincerity for their employees or investors. :shrug:

magnificent7 posted:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
I'd love to do this with a set of steely, gray, un-blinking eyeballs.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone have suggestions for a riser solution to get my camera bit higher off the baseplate of my MoVI? Washers?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
crossposted from my thread

Race Realists posted:

I thought alot about making this thread, and it might crash and burn but here goes: I'm a Film student in Georgia. I have two films under my belt, want desperately to break into the business (:lol: if you think I don't know this is an insane, impossible hill to climb) and at the very least commune with fellow goons who are in the same boat as me. The Film/Video and Cinematography thread are loving ghost towns as far as industry discussion goes.

I ask: Are there ANY goons out there working (or have worked) professionally in the film industry? Maybe share a funny story or two about being a Production Assistant? Tell us your day to day life on big budget film project you can't tell us about because embargoes :v:

... why do I get feeling I'm shouting into a void here :smith:?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

There's definitely some of us working in the industry in various capacities, even if there's not a ton of discussion going on. I'm kind of side-stepped from the actual film industry right now, though--I went to film school and when freelance PAing wasn't paying the bills I ended up landing a staff job at a production company that does reality TV and some historical re-enactment stuff. Not particularly artistically fulfilling, but I run camera on a bunch of house tour and travelogue-type shows and my rent is paid.

I think the funniest story I have is from one of those re-enactment shows. My buddy was taking promo photos of one of the actors after he got out of HMU, and his character was carrying a shotgun for the scene that day. The actor gets into position and pops the shotgun up on his shoulder like a bazooka, and my buddy laughs, thinking it's a joke. He waits a second for the actor to stop fooling around, but the guy doesn't, so my buddy asks him if they can take the photo already. The actor looks at him kind of confused, and then gets all sheepish: "I've never actually held a gun before, am I doing it wrong?" We gave him some poo poo for it, but let it go ... right up until he accidentally shot the boom mic with a blank in the scene and melted a hole in the dead cat. He didn't hear the end of it after that.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should probably just join a more industry specific forum. I really like SA but when you want to get really deep into a specific niche like this it helps to be somewhere with a bit more density.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Audio recording question. Right now, I'm using a Zoom H4n Handy Recorder for my vids. But I don't like how the record button needs to be pressed twice in order to record (a single press puts it in standby only). The icons on the buttons are also starting to fade, which also sucks. This double-tap silliness has caused some really frustrating issues for me. Any suggestions for a better recorder?

\/ I was considering the H4n Pro, but after looking into the H5 as you suggested- I'm really liking that one, instead. Gonna go for the H5!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 24, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
H5 is very nice. Stick with what you know.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Has anyone tried using a XLR to 1/8" stereo converter to use various nice mics with a DSLR instead of random crap made for DLSRs? I've got a D800 and some lavs that have their own phantom packs and would very much hate to have to buy another mic if it's not necessary. Unfortunately a dedicated recorder is also out of the picture due to cost.

At least if nothing else Premiere has auto syncing for audio, but it would be nice to not have to add extra data and poo poo.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What mic are you trying to us? The lavs? Most of the receivers I use come with a mini output. I've run an ME66/K6 into my D800 through an adapter and it sounded fine, but that's a self powered mic. I've also used a juicedlink preamp and that worked great.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Any adapter you use to chain into a DSLR will be entirely fine. The limiter there is going to be the DSLR's record quality anyway, not anything you put in the chain. Frankenstein it up.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Yeah, I don't know what kind of lavs you're using, but all the ones I've ever used (pretty much just Sennheiser and Lectrosonics) have all come with cables that let you output the receiver to either XLR or 1/8", so you might just do that. It should be fine as long as your DSLR has manual audio level control. It'll be mono instead of stereo, but that shouldn't make a difference.

fakeedit: just realized you might be talking about hooking lavs directly to the camera instead of using wireless packs, in which case they should theoretically still work as long as you can match line or mic level outputs to whatever your camera wants. If not, then you may need a preamp.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

powderific posted:

What mic are you trying to us? The lavs? Most of the receivers I use come with a mini output. I've run an ME66/K6 into my D800 through an adapter and it sounded fine, but that's a self powered mic. I've also used a juicedlink preamp and that worked great.
Audio Technica Pro 70, it's only got an XLR output on the power pack. Works nice, but it'd be nicer to eliminate the extra steps in recording and post processing. Also got a condenser mic around here somewhere and another Audio Tech lav that's omnidirectional that I forget the model number of. All three are XLR only, though the condenser is obviously out anyways since it won't get the phantom power without something in between it and the camera.

Slim Killington posted:

Any adapter you use to chain into a DSLR will be entirely fine. The limiter there is going to be the DSLR's record quality anyway, not anything you put in the chain. Frankenstein it up.
Yeah that's what I was kind of concerned about from what I saw online.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Pricing is out on the Sigma Cinema Zooms that got announced recently. No word on the primes yet but the zooms are $4k

https://www.cinema5d.com/sigma-cinema-zooms-pricing-announced/

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
So I wanna whip up some cheap china balls, but incandescent light bulbs are now illegal and gone from europe! We can only buy LED and other energy-friendly bulbs. What kind of non-incandescent lightbulbs should I be looking for to make this work? Will be shooting h264 on an FS700. Don't know enough about this stuff to know what to look for. Any tips?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Here's an article with some information on the subject and one of its possible problems - flicker in the image from AC current - and possible solutions.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/flicker-free-lights-and-why-they-are-important-you

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

MoVI just announced the MoVI Pro

https://youtu.be/_lzBTBn9kG0

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks fabulous and explains why they were offloading M15s for $5k.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

powderific posted:

Looks fabulous and explains why they were offloading M15s for $5k.

Yeah lots of recent M15 purchasers probably kicking themselves.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Totally. I was almost one of those people. The sale tipped me off that something new was coming out, but I assumed it'd be $12k or something instead of the $6500 it's turned out to be. Sooo worth the extra $1.5k.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Yeah, the 6.5k package is completely stacked too. Pretty impressive how much prices have come down. Wasn't the M5 like 5k when it first dropped?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is there a shortage of BlackMagic URSA minis? We've been waiting for one for months. Or is it the viewfinder that's late?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Shooting is suffering

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

The shorts they put out with new products are almost always trash but I actually like this one for the MoVI Pro https://vimeo.com/189804898

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Saw Arrival last night. Cinematography is great if you like Bradford Young's style.

These lights caught my eye, they pop up a bunch. They almost look like Wescott Ice Lights with the black casing removed.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably some variant of these guys: http://www.jamesonllc.com/products.asp?groupID=6&productID=37&main= or faking the same thing with Kino Flo tubes.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

powderific posted:

Probably some variant of these guys: http://www.jamesonllc.com/products.asp?groupID=6&productID=37&main= or faking the same thing with Kino Flo tubes.

Yeah this looks exactly right.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Has anyone had any experience with the film job classifieds that you pay for? I'm talking StaffMeUp versus Film and TV Pro etc. I just moved to LA and I am looking for any and all on-set jobs to apply for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone have experience shooting documentary at highly attended political events or rallies (ex: a presidential inauguration)?