Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
The premise of having to rescue a straw hat who's been taken by an enemy from their childhood, the handcuffs, and now the flashback line of "someday you're gonna find people who will honestly care about you".

We're in Enies Lobby 2.0 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Enies Lobby was Arlong Park 2.0

This will be Enies Lobby 2.0
And it will be glorious!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

The premise of having to rescue a straw hat who's been taken by an enemy from their childhood, the handcuffs, and now the flashback line of "someday you're gonna find people who will honestly care about you".

We're in Enies Lobby 2.0 :getin:

For an even closer parallel, both characters willingly left with their captors believing it was the best way to keep the crew out of immediate danger. The big difference here being that Robin thought the crew stood no chance of winning whereas Sanji knows Luffy will chase him to the ends of the Earth.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Torquemadras posted:

Gotta say, for all the bullshit of Dressrosa, recent One Piece has been on point, drat!

Just you wait. Someone's gonna get those handcuffs off of Sanji, shortly followed by a spread page where he kicks all three brothers in the face at once
I'm glad that One Piece has insanely punchable villains again

I'm expecting some variation on a Den-Den conversation with Zeff being what sets Sanji off on a rampage. Though there's a pretty decent chance that instead his brothers will put a hurt on Pudding or Reiju to get to him and the rage of Mr. Prince will be passed on like stories of Nolan. There's also the split the difference option of his brothers destroying the Baratie just to be dicks because they don't think Sanji can do anything about it, which is what has him schooling them on how the Devil gave cooks spice.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 29, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009
I kinda hope his brothers go to destroy Baratie and Zeff just wrecks them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet how loving cool the Germa ships climbing straight up the Red Line was. I wonder how many other alternative methods there are to crossing the world besides Reverse Mountain...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Torquemadras posted:

Just you wait. Someone's gonna get those handcuffs off of Sanji

It's almost certainly going to be Reiju helping him again and finally standing up to her family because Sanji inspires her and convinces her when talking about Zeff and his experiences.

I kind of hope it's Reiju who beats the brothers up too, as a way of accepting her distance from them and exorcising the poo poo she's put up with to stay in good graces. Sanji can beat up Judge, I don't need to see him beat his brothers too, since that's basically a foregone conclusion. That said, them teaming up to do it would be sweet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It occurs to me that the emperors, marines and warlords must all have some way of getting around the world that doesn't rely on setting log poses at every island. Have they mentioned anything about that?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

Gotta say, for all the bullshit of Dressrosa, recent One Piece has been on point, drat!

Just you wait. Someone's gonna get those handcuffs off of Sanji, shortly followed by a spread page where he kicks all three brothers in the face at once
I'm glad that One Piece has insanely punchable villains again

Given how things are turning out, it'll probably be Reiju that springs him. Either that, or she never properly cuffed him in the first place, so when his dad or one of his bros decides to blow his hands off, he apologizes to Reiju that he can't keep up the charade any longer and casually tosses the wristlets onto the floor before proceeding to deliver a kick to the face.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It occurs to me that the emperors, marines and warlords must all have some way of getting around the world that doesn't rely on setting log poses at every island. Have they mentioned anything about that?

A bunch of Eternal Poses, I'd guess.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Wasn't there a scene somewhere with dozens of eternal poses on some ship or maybe this was a dream.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Something very sad just occured to me, I tried to check out a recent OP episode, to see how they were handling Zou, and the art reminds me almost exactly of the scanlation fanart you see posted every week...

..maybe that's why the fanart looks like that? Either way, it chilled me to the bone.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Lpzie posted:

Wasn't there a scene somewhere with dozens of eternal poses on some ship or maybe this was a dream.

I'm pretty sure there's a part where Smoker sends a request to HQ for an eternal pose for the island he thinks Luffy is heading towards. (I think it may have been Punk Hazard?)
If that scene doesn't exist, it's still pretty likely that big shot pirates/the marines just have a supply of eternal poses/vivre cards that they use to get around.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

key party favors posted:

..maybe that's why the fanart looks like that? Either way, it chilled me to the bone.

:yohoho:

QuantaStarFire posted:

Given how things are turning out, it'll probably be Reiju that springs him. Either that, or she never properly cuffed him in the first place, so when his dad or one of his bros decides to blow his hands off, he apologizes to Reiju that he can't keep up the charade any longer and casually tosses the wristlets onto the floor before proceeding to deliver a kick to the face.

Either way, poo poo's about to get real and it's going to be :krad:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Coby explained one method to Luffy in the aftermath of Enies Lobby of at least how they get around the Grand Line/Calm Belt. IIRC, it involved Seastone hulls on the ships and a bunch of One Piece :techno:.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I don't think anyone will remove Sanji's handcuffs and he simply, at some point, accepts that him protecting Luffy/Nami/Reiju/whoever, is more important than his dream of being a chef (much like Zoro on Thriller Bark accepting death from Kuma in exchange for saving Luffy then).

Or he just coats his arms in haki moments before the explosion triggers and that's that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't think anyone will remove Sanji's handcuffs and he simply, at some point, accepts that him protecting Luffy/Nami/Reiju/whoever, is more important than his dream of being a chef (much like Zoro on Thriller Bark accepting death from Kuma in exchange for saving Luffy then).

Or he just coats his arms in haki moments before the explosion triggers and that's that.

i still say he gets married and they take the cuffs off and then he demands to leave the crew and he gets the dartboard and loses a leg instead

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

i still say he gets married and they take the cuffs off and then he demands to leave the crew and he gets the dartboard and loses a leg instead

From what I understand about Shonen Jump editors, they'd definitely shoot that down....that'd be neat though. I just want to see Zoro get lost, show up, give Sanji the thumbs up as he takes on his brothers, so Sanji can fight Judge. That is my One Piece fanfic I just wrote, thanks for listening, all.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

From what I understand about Shonen Jump editors, they'd definitely shoot that down....that'd be neat though. I just want to see Zoro get lost, show up, give Sanji the thumbs up as he takes on his brothers, so Sanji can fight Judge. That is my One Piece fanfic I just wrote, thanks for listening, all.

do we know of editors actually shooting oda down? i know they hosed with toriyama, but ive never heard anything relating to an idea of odas being vetoed. that dartboard has to be there for a reason other than jinbe losing something, otherwise it wouldnt have been introduced imo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if the reason germa wasn't invited to the reverie is because this is where their nation falls and the five elder stars have some kind of method of precognition

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bet Sanji has his hands blown off by the shackles and grows some new ones in those cloning vats!!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet Sanji has his hands blown off by the shackles and grows some new ones in those cloning vats!!

Im sure Franky can whip him up a pair of hands. Throw ina flamethrower, some knives, and a pepper grinder and he'll be all set.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

that dartboard has to be there for a reason other than jinbe losing something, otherwise it wouldnt have been introduced imo.

This is it.

Jimbei gets the eyepatch because Big Mom goes easy on him and takes an eye. :aaaaa:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i reall ythink luffy or bb will get the eyepatch tbh. probably after some huge fight.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

anime was right posted:

do we know of editors actually shooting oda down? i know they hosed with toriyama, but ive never heard anything relating to an idea of odas being vetoed. that dartboard has to be there for a reason other than jinbe losing something, otherwise it wouldnt have been introduced imo.

I seem to remember Oda saying in one volume that he wanted to do more naval battles but his editors talked him out of it for some reason? I don't remember which volume though and I might be conflating different things he's said.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

What if the reason germa wasn't invited to the reverie is because this is where their nation falls and the five elder stars have some kind of method of precognition

Wait, what did the English scans say?

The impression I got from the Korean scans was "soon, we won't be invited to the reverie because of our actions, but by then it won't matter cause we'll have the power to do what we want."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Checked the English scans, and I don't see anything about not being invited at the moment? Unless you're talking about a different page.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Checked the English scans, and I don't see anything about not being invited at the moment? Unless you're talking about a different page.

Yeah, I think the implication is if they keep messing around with the Yonko alliance they'll be booted out of the Reverie...

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That's what I got out of mangastream's version too. They said they weren't gonna worry about it because they're gonna get booted from the world government soon, presumably for allying with Big Mom.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

key party favors posted:

Yeah, I think the implication is if they keep messing around with the Yonko alliance they'll be booted out of the Reverie...
That seemed like the implication at the time, but after the talk of forbidden research on the "lineage factor" and clone armies, it seems like that's possibly what they'll be thrown out for and the Yonkou alliance is more for the sake of getting strong allies to back them when the World Government inevitably tries to stop them.

At least that's the impression I got. Nothing's really been spelled out.

It's interesting that the Germa 66 still has an invitation to Reverie. Who knows what the country is going to look like at the end of this arc, but that's another incredible faction that will be represented there.

Reverie is going to be one hell of an arc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Eiba posted:

That seemed like the implication at the time, but after the talk of forbidden research on the "lineage factor" and clone armies, it seems like that's possibly what they'll be thrown out for and the Yonkou alliance is more for the sake of getting strong allies to back them when the World Government inevitably tries to stop them.

At least that's the impression I got. Nothing's really been spelled out.

It's interesting that the Germa 66 still has an invitation to Reverie. Who knows what the country is going to look like at the end of this arc, but that's another incredible faction that will be represented there.

Reverie is going to be one hell of an arc.

I'm guessing reiju becomes the new head of the Germa at end of arc.

key party favors posted:

Zoro getting so lost he ends up on Whole Cake Island (WCI) would be comical, indeed. Too bad it ain't happening. I like the image of Sanji systematically destroying all of his brothers in sequential order before his dad better anyway.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

My prediction: Zeff died of natural causes 3 years ago

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Matoi Ryuko posted:

We've seen him in cover pages since the timeskip, so you're wrong. :cheeky:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

whitebeard looking good these days. don't @ me

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

anime was right posted:

I think some of the anime filler arcs were ideas Oda wanted to use for the manga, but the editors said no and took them to the anime creators.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I think some of the anime filler arcs were ideas Oda wanted to use for the manga, but the editors said no and took them to the anime creators.

What? That makes absolutely no sense, I call bullshit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there were a few chapters in loguetown that got cut and put into the anime, but i don't recall them being the word of the editor.

also, that was like, literally over a decade ago. editors having influence over oda when one piece wasn't as popular is one thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Those chapters weren't even cut by editors IIRC, Oda wanted to get to the Grand Line on chapter 100.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Daddy and Carol were originally planned by Oda to be in the Loguetown Arc. However, Oda desired the Grand Line journey to begin at Chapter 100[2] so the story was cut from the final version. However, both the Loguetown fillers and the Loguetown Novel feature this story. The version of Daddy which is featured in the Loguetown Novels, however, is very different in appearance to the anime filler Daddy. It is unclear if this was Oda's intended version of him as some details about the novel remain vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

one piece is a bathing suit