Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
I still watch NXT weekly and enjoy it. Started watching regularly after Charlotte/Nattie and stuck around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

sticklefifer posted:

It's almost like NXT is a developmental show featuring new up and coming wrestlers.

It's always been that and yet it was great in the past because a lot of the new up and comers were good.

A lot of the current crop aren't.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

spudsbuckley posted:

It's always been that
:thejoke:, but as far as the current crop not being as good, ehhh not really. Older NXT/FCW was pushing pre-oblivious heel Bo Dallas as a superface in the main event for literally years, and its midcard was lame as hell with only a few bright spots for quite some time. It only started getting really good shortly before the first Takeover. The fun part for me at least was watching people develop their characters, not watching newbies struggle to put on a good match. The matches were rarely memorable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

always enjoy the 'nxt has always been bad' defense to criticism

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I've honestly been finding the current month or so of NXT pretty fun and watchable. Mid 2016 was probably the creative lowpoint with the Joe/Finn forever feuding and a load of people just waiting to shuffle out the door through the draft, but now they're actually developing the women and stuff like Almas/Cedric and the Joe/Regal angle has been quality. And now we have the tag classic starting up again, which made Revival/AA the first time round.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been waiting for WWE to sign Shane Matthews for a good six years. They better loving do it. He is such a natural fit for WWE.

Oh and Scott Parker can come along as well. (I kid, I love him too)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
If WWE signs Parker and Matthews, I hope they call themselves 4.0

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blasmeister posted:

I've honestly been finding the current month or so of NXT pretty fun and watchable. Mid 2016 was probably the creative lowpoint with the Joe/Finn forever feuding and a load of people just waiting to shuffle out the door through the draft, but now they're actually developing the women and stuff like Almas/Cedric and the Joe/Regal angle has been quality. And now we have the tag classic starting up again, which made Revival/AA the first time round.

The women all suck at the moment besides Asuka. They are all truly loving terrible and no one stands out.

The tag thing will hopefully be good but the two good teams are DIY and The Revival. The rest are ranging mediocre to poo poo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wait a minute did you just put over asuka

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Also, I just kinda owned myself.

I read about the Eddie Kingston tryout and caught myself thinking "man, Eddie Kingston has to be so old and busted up by now, what does WWE want with him?" and then I realised he's literally only 3 days older than me.

I also haven't seen Eddie wrestle since whatever he did in Chikara in like 2010 but he was pretty drat broken down back then.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

wait a minute did you just put over asuka

She's comparatively amazing when put up against the utter shitheaps that make up the rest of the current NXT womens division.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like liv and mandy both

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

spudsbuckley posted:

She's comparatively amazing when put up against the utter shitheaps that make up the rest of the current NXT womens division.

Are you suggesting that the women's division in NXT needs a... revolution?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Carmella simply should not have been moved on, and though Alexa and Nia are both doing fine on SD/Raw, another month or two in NXT wouldn't have harmed either of them.

Essentially NXT's womens' division has been brought back to where it started, when Paige was wrecking everyone and the likes of Sasha and Bayley had no character and were either jobbing out or playing underling to Summer Rae. It took a few months (and Paige getting called up) for the division to get good, and it'll take a few months to recover again this time.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

In what was described to PWInsider as a "mutually agreed upon decision", WWE has released NXT performer Stuart Tomlinson aka Hugo Knox, 31. Knox had not worked a match for the brand since this past August.

Knox, a former soccer goalkeeper from Great Britain, had been signed to a WWE developmental deal in December 2013. He had not been a featured regular on the NXT TV series.

Heard about this midweek. He has moved back to the UK and is now a personal trainer. He got released as his neck was giving him issues.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pressedbunny posted:

Carmella simply should not have been moved on, and though Alexa and Nia are both doing fine on SD/Raw, another month or two in NXT wouldn't have harmed either of them.

Essentially NXT's womens' division has been brought back to where it started, when Paige was wrecking everyone and the likes of Sasha and Bayley had no character and were either jobbing out or playing underling to Summer Rae. It took a few months (and Paige getting called up) for the division to get good, and it'll take a few months to recover again this time.

I agree about Nia and Carmella, but Alexa's match with Bayley showed that she was basically at the best she could be in NXT. Moving her up made her step up big time in a newly formed division and she's flourished as a top heel.

Peyton Royce needs to return and save the NXT women's division.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MrBling posted:

Also, I just kinda owned myself.

I read about the Eddie Kingston tryout and caught myself thinking "man, Eddie Kingston has to be so old and busted up by now, what does WWE want with him?" and then I realised he's literally only 3 days older than me.

I also haven't seen Eddie wrestle since whatever he did in Chikara in like 2010 but he was pretty drat broken down back then.

I could see them signing him as a dude to give promo classes or something. Maybe do a light schedule on NXT. I don't know how he would do full time.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
I hope they bring Eddie Kingston. He would immediately get over at Full Sail with his promos. Bring in more guys like him so you can have more room to finally bring up Nakamura, Joe, Roode, etc.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Roque11 posted:

I hope they bring Eddie Kingston. He would immediately get over at Full Sail with his promos. Bring in more guys like him so you can have more room to finally bring up Nakamura, Joe, Roode, etc.

Only if Tim Donst shows up and Eddie Kingston gets fired because he unleashes every slur known to man on him. That's the only way Eddie Kingston's WWE run should end.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Eddie Kingston gives great promos in the indies and can still work ok, but a lot of his appeal comes from his very un-PG persona. The last time I saw him he tried to literally kill Sami Callihan but suffocating his with a plastic bag over the head. I'm not sure I see what he does and who he is translating well to NXT.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ChineseConnection posted:

Eddie Kingston gives great promos in the indies and can still work ok, but a lot of his appeal comes from his very un-PG persona. The last time I saw him he tried to literally kill Sami Callihan but suffocating his with a plastic bag over the head. I'm not sure I see what he does and who he is translating well to NXT.

He's been one of the top names in Chikara for the last decade and he's done fine.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So does this mean Ibushi's gonna keep coming in for a few awesome matches, leave, then come back a few months later?

I'm surprisingly okay with that idea.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I'm curious if there will be any other surprises for the Classic.

I mean, who cares about the Bollywood Boyz?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Peyton Royce needs to return and save the NXT women's division.

She wrestled at the show I went to a couple weeks ago so she might be on the current set of tapings.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Gavok posted:

He's been one of the top names in Chikara for the last decade and he's done fine.

I mean thats pretty much the thing with Kingston, he can play at whatever level he's supposed to be playing at. He pretty much plays the same character in Chikara as he did in the urban werstling federation, just in one he was playing it pg and in the other he dropped f-bombs every other sentence. He knows his audience and he plays to it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Kingston would be great to bring in for a one final run type thing, getting super desperate against a champion like Joe who just points out how badly banged up he is before he even got here. I legitimately can't tell if Kingston is in constant pain or selling well but he can cut an amazing intense promo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Agreed. The Revival vs. Ciampa & Gargano is also something I want to give a shout out too as being one of the few storylines I actually care about in WWE right now. The Dusty Classic should be good but I'm kinda disappointed it's not its own thing like the CWC.

The Almas/Cedric team has to be them finally realising that Almas needs a shake up and turning him, right?

Dan Matha looks like a fish

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 1, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sucks about Knox. He sold and moved well in his jobber showings, not unlike Jason Jordan. Guess he and Nia Jax couldn't make it work.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

The Dusty Classic should be good but I'm kinda disappointed it's not its own thing like the CWC.
I don't trust the main WWE product when it comes to Dusty Rhodes, so I'm glad the Classic takes place on the show he had plenty of involvement in.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AMReese posted:

I don't trust the main WWE product when it comes to Dusty Rhodes, so I'm glad the Classic takes place on the show he had plenty of involvement in.

CWC wasn't exactly the main WWE product

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Actually, it was. People think it was something done by or for NXT, but that's false.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmmm

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

always enjoy the 'nxt has always been bad' defense to criticism
Not at all what I said, but go nuts if you want to read it that way I guess. What I'm saying is FCW and early post-competition NXT definitely had bright spots, but when the undercard was mostly developmental green wrestlers who hadn't found characters yet, the wrestling matches in the undercard weren't the fun part. Around the time the Takeovers started it became consistently great for a very long time. Then a bunch of people were called up and now it's back to mostly green people without defined characters again, but with indie/international stars on top this time. I still enjoy it, just saying it's been closer to its original purpose and format lately.

AMReese posted:

I mean, who cares about the Bollywood Boyz?
I do.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

AMReese posted:

Actually, it was. People think it was something done by or for NXT, but that's false.

It was literally done by the NXT crew and production people.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

WWE used the NXT crew, yes, but it was still a WWE product. Dave Meltzer said that it was a common misconception.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
If it used the NXT crew and the same guy in charge of the booking of NXT booked it, what is the significance of the distinction?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Forgot about this:

https://twitter.com/FightOwensFight/status/685987046599491584

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

AMReese posted:

WWE used the NXT crew, yes, but it was still a WWE product. Dave Meltzer said that it was a common misconception.

NXT is also a WWE product - A durr., DOooyyyy.D>D>OOY

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I remember Meltzer saying there was an important distinction. I just can't remember exactly what it was since it was a mailbag question or something. I'm sending him a tweet and I'm hoping he'll respond with what that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He put over Knox on instagram when he first showed up at NXT

• Locked thread