Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Episode 7. Holy poo poo I was not expecting them to kill Cottonmouth and that way. Goddamn that was emotionall powerful

Goddamn is this show good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, one thing. What is with the guns? Like, okay I get it, the actors need something to do with their hands so they look all badass during action scenes, but thugs that Cage has clowned on multiple times keep trying to shoot him like they think surely it'll work this time.

Also, I feel kinda bad for Shades. He keeps trying to be smart about stuff while the other badguys are always flipping out screwing everything up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2016

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone else catch the nod to his headband and wrist guards from the comics during the third episode?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Did anyone else catch the nod to his headband and wrist guards from the comics during the third episode?

More than just that, he even puts on the flamboyant yellow shirt for a second there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, one thing. What is with the guns? Like, okay I get it, the actors need something to do with their hands so they look all badass during action scenes, but thugs that Cage has clowned on multiple times keep trying to shoot him like they think surely it'll work this time.

Also, I feel kinda bad for Shades. He keeps trying to be smart about stuff while the other badguys are always flipping out screwing everything up.

when a hammer's all you have, everything looks like a nail

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

More than just that, he even puts on the flamboyant yellow shirt for a second there.

"You look like a drat fool."

I'm also really enjoying their use of color in these three series so far. I'm guessing we are going to get a lot of green for Iron Fist?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

when a hammer's all you have, everything looks like a nail

Sure, but when you hit a nail a dozen times and it don't go in, you maybe stop with the hammer yeah?

It's not a big deal or anything. I just find it funny that when it's any other hero, barely anyone thinks to reach for a gun but when it's Cage, that's all they think to try. It's like mooks are allergic to finding the right tool for the job.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Episode 3: I literally can't stop laughing at the rocket launcher. The music that does with it is also goddamn amazing.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, but when you hit a nail a dozen times and it don't go in, you maybe stop with the hammer yeah?

It's not a big deal or anything. I just find it funny that when it's any other hero, barely anyone thinks to reach for a gun but when it's Cage, that's all they think to try. It's like mooks are allergic to finding the right tool for the job.

or at the very least try to take very careful aim at the eyes or something.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've taken unexpected pleasure from hearing people explicitly name Tony Stark and Captain America in this series. Still lots of "hammer guy" and "green dude" but actual namedropping like that just ties it all a bit closer. I like that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1x07

Holy poo poo that was dark. That is all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

1x07

Holy poo poo that was dark. That is all.

I'm not quite done yet, but E7 is my favorite so far. The way it ping-pongs your sympathy for Cottonmouth and Mariah back and forth as you learn more about their family, and how broken and awful they both are. Even up to that final moment where you almost feel bad for Cornell until he drops "you wanted it" and any sympathy you had follows him right out the window. Really well done.

I mean, I like Cage, I like him a lot more than Matt, but it's still the villains that have really stolen the show in these series.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skippy McPants posted:

You're not wrong but what else does Random Gun Hustler have when confronted with some crazy dude beating his guys up and coming at him next. Not smart, but also pretty realistic for 'aw poo poo' moments

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The hoops talk this show is dropping is just pure REALNESS! Pat Riley gets a lifetime ghetto pass for the way he coached The Knicks & Misty Knight is a Detroit Pistons fan.

:worship:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You're not wrong but what else does Random Gun Hustler have when confronted with some crazy dude beating his guys up and coming at him next. Not smart, but also pretty realistic for 'aw poo poo' moments

Yeah whatever, no big deal. I know they have to sell it.

Besides, I'm doubling down on my other nitpick, Shades getting shafted by everyone else. Poor Shades just wants to be a smart badguy, and none of the others will let him!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the real tragedy here is Shades having to be lackey to a parade of dumbasses

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The actors are fantastic and I love the story but so much of the Shades + other bad guy scenes boil down to

"I wanna do the thing"

"Please don't, we can focus on work first and then do the thing"

"I'm gonna do the thing"

"gently caress"

"THE THING WENT BAD, WHY SHADES WHY?!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm not quite done yet, but E7 is my favorite so far. The way it ping-pongs your sympathy for Cottonmouth and Mariah back and forth as you learn more about their family, and how broken and awful they both are. Even up to that final moment where you almost feel bad for Cornell until he drops "you wanted it" and any sympathy you had follows him right out the window. Really well done.

I mean, I like Cage, I like him a lot more than Matt, but it's still the villains that have really stolen the show in these series.

Agreed. Cottonmouth is my favorite villain of the series so far (second after Punisher if you clock him as a villain for the first four episodes of Daredevil season 2). Mahershala Ali oozes charisma in a way none of the other villains in the Netflix series have.

1x07/1x08
Wow, Diamondback does NOT gently caress around.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Shades looks like a skinhead Diplo. Been bothering me a bit.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
1x05

I love this "Long Live the Chief" sequence so effing much. The show's general slowburn feels deliberate instead of dragged out, which is cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. Cottonmouth is my favorite villain of the series so far (second after Punisher if you clock him as a villain for the first four episodes of Daredevil season 2). Mahershala Ali oozes charisma in a way none of the other villains in the Netflix series have.

1x07/1x08
Wow, Diamondback does NOT gently caress around.

Yea 07 was by far the best so far.

I went right up to the end thinking 'ok so maybe the point here is that even if he's a bad man, he was kinda forced into the role and now he's just doing all he knows', and then, yea he drops 'you wanted it' and suddenly it becomes 'nope still just a bad human being regardless of circumstance'. You feel juuuust enough sympathy to make him feel human, but then by the end you're still happy to see him get what he had due.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, a few hours ago I was just going to watch a couple of episodes. I watched six. I've forced myself to stop for now, will probably watch the rest over the weekend. It's pretty great stuff. As far as the whole Marvel Netflix things go, it certainly got compelling the quickest. I think I was almost sold partway through the first episode, and by the time I got to the part from that trailer, that was it.

Sweet Christmas.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Show has a shitload to say about absentee father's maybe a bit to much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hollismason posted:

Show has a shitload to say about absentee father's maybe a bit to much.

It is a theme that resonates a lot in many black communities. I think the concept of community is perhaps the single most important theme to this Luke Cage series - the obligations you have to your community, how those obligations can be twisted, and what happens when they do.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Two episodes in but this is already way better then either Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Poor Shades, he just wants to be a cool henchman, but no one will let him :(

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shades doesn't deserve to be stuck with comic book villains. He could do so much better.

Ep 12 I saw the end to his Lawyer bit coming a mile away, and I loved it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

e X posted:

Poor Shades, he just wants to be a cool henchman, but no one will let him :(

Him desperately latching on to Mariah as the only somewhat smart badguy in Harlem was great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have been binging on this since midnight and this is now my favorite of the Netflix series. I didn't watch past the first episode of JJ because of Purple Man as the villain (I hated the comic series too because of him) so I really didn't get to see Colter as Luke, but goddamn. It may be worth fast forwarding through it just to see his scenes.

Complaining about Alias because of the Purple Man is really weird since he shows up in a grand total of one arc of it. He's a minor portion of the comic.

That end of 107 sure is...some super dumb bullshit that kinda sells out the entire premise of the show. Eye-rollingly bad narrative choice.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea 07 was by far the best so far.

I went right up to the end thinking 'ok so maybe the point here is that even if he's a bad man, he was kinda forced into the role and now he's just doing all he knows', and then, yea he drops 'you wanted it' and suddenly it becomes 'nope still just a bad human being regardless of circumstance'. You feel juuuust enough sympathy to make him feel human, but then by the end you're still happy to see him get what he had due.

107's a weird episode. Alfre Woodard, who up to that point had been a transcendent actress, just totally drops the ball in That Confrontation and the entire scene comes off as fuckin' Ham Sandwich all the way through. But the flashbacks were fuckin' fantastic, so it's...kind of a wash? I dunno, 107 feels like a great episode that just sorta falls apart in its climax and finale due to bad overacting and a really lovely narrative choice.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 1, 2016

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Potential jokes:

Mental illness within the black community
Social media
Murders
Jews

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1x10

Mariah is one stone cold bitch. She's not as prone to rage as Cottonmouth, or as nutty as Diamondback, but she's even more horrible in her own way that keeps her hands sparkling clean.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol the SUV scene from 1x06

He's definitely just black Superman who can't fly. and no eye lasers

e: I love that Claire called him out on his poo poo. "I am not sleeping with you. You don't even drink coffee."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 1, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Finished it an hour ago (don't judge me).

I get the vibe that Diamondback is gonna get powered up for S2.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm only on episode 2 but drat. Luke Cage and Misty Knight are the heroes we deserve. I wish I could've watched this growing up but I'm glad other black teens will get the chance.

Bulletproof black skin. 😭😭😭😭

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 1, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

1x04:
the shot of the prison guard's eyes through the slit in the door while he was trying to get Luke to be a fighter was outstanding

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Just finished 1x01. Luke Cage is the man.

I lost my poo poo at the Justin Hammer references, holy shittttttt

HIJK fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 1, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

1x12

I liked the scenes with Method Man playing himself. It didn't feel cheap like some of those "Wow! It's <Celelbrity>!" *celeb mugs for audience*. It actually pushed the narrative.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Episode 11 I really loving liked the conversation between the DA and the LT. THat was super awesome where their like " Yeah no we don't want this to be a gunfight "

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I'm on episode 6 now. Cottonmouth's slow but angry descent into powerlessness and his increasingly desperate attempts to stop it, mixed with Mahershala Ali's performance, is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Just finished this and it was great (as usual) but I had a real problem suspending my disbelief at the fact that the crowd at a protest for a black boy beaten by police agreed with Mariah's call to give the cops more guns.

Radio! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 3, 2016