Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

A cute! :swoon:

Also, as of the r8 patch in kToS, Dragoon c2 is #1 world boss DPS class and Fencer c3 is #2. And Alch c3's homuncs look really cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The swordsmen domination is real

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

welp time for everyone to reroll

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Does this game still lag for no raisen really want to checkout some r8 stuff but havent had this installed in like a months

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Does this game still lag for no raisen really want to checkout some r8 stuff but havent had this installed in like a months

Br?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Why is the thread tag shitpost now? :confused:

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Thankfully no I was born a white guy

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:toot: https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=644 :toot:

Also apparently iToS R8 might be delayed to early October? Based on a comment by GM Mango on one of the SEA servers. Whatever, more time to get up in levels!

Also the guild is pretty active atm, we have around 7 active players and a few more in discord. Lots of us are in range for Alemeth or Evac so now's a good time to grind with some goonies! :wink:

Oh yeah, and a new event started today. One of the rewards is apparently the Mint Chocolate Cupcake hat, a really cute one that I had in beta! :dance:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Everyone on Steam reviews seems really salty about the latest patch. Is this game worth picking up while it's on sale?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Solvency posted:

Everyone on Steam reviews seems really salty about the latest patch. Is this game worth picking up while it's on sale?

It's F2P! Haha. I don't know why they're salty about the latest patch though, we got put on par with the Korean version for the most part. The only updates we don't have are the ones starting from when Rank 8 was released, which was only a month ago. Also it's always a laugh to see people give a scathing indictment of a game they've played for hundreds or thousands of hours. Were they just afk that whole time? :confused:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Whoops, I confused this game with another game called Tree of Life. Seeing as this game is free however, I may give it a try.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More FPS updates!

https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=667

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its great that korea developer figured out the wonders of multi threading.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just pointing out I called earlier in the thread that I was sure they had messed up the animation coding.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

In other news, kToS got a big patch a few days ago with some awesome QoL updates. Notes: http://pastebin.com/ADjHNgc3

Some highlights:
  • TP Costumes, Monster Cards, Gems, Equipped Items, Recipes can now be traded.
    - Private Trading and Marketplace trading are both available. However, the following items cannot be traded.
    : Equipment that has been transcended. (Untradable)
    : General/Premium Hairstyles, Coloured lenses (Untradable)
    : Equipment & Costumes with 0 Potential (Untradable)
    : Trades with Enchant Scrolls (Untradable)
    - Costumes that are Circle 3 can be traded, the requirements for the job still remain.

• When a trade is occuring, various costume/equipment items will no longer have their potential deducted once the transaction has completed.
    - Buying/trading from the market still makes items untradable. (Silento Note -- Not sure what this means??)
    - If either player has insufficient number of availble transactions from the Token effect, the trade will render the item Untradable.
    - Also, you can't trade items that have 0 potential.

• Exp tomes multiply final exp value, which should mean they aren't useless in field maps! Also the token bonus I guess

• HAT GACHA

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Oh yeah also Miko is finally out, I don't know much about it though.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/miko-release-ktos/329118/6 posted:

Gohei - Swings a Gohei. Removes ailments from allies and buffs from enemies.

Houki Broom - Sweeps the floor with a magic broom, creating a magic circle. Works like Divine Might for those inside the circle.

Hamaya - Fires an arrow to an area, dealing extra Holy dmg to demon-type enemies.

Kasiwade - Claps twice. Increases the duration of magic circles.

Kagura Dance - Miko dances, enemies receive additional Holy dmg from melee attacks.

They can also craft Omamori amulets with an attribute.

Already had most of it translated. I didnt have the values though.

Basically, its like a soul arrow.

looks like a solid and cute support, I'm in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NouJhhWCJ9M

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i wonder if a diev miko would be a good build (tm)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hi you

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god it's Ragnarok Online. :allears: RO is near and dear to my heart and this looks like a 2016 version of it which rules. I heard that it's apparently got some issues, though? It showed up in Extra Credits as being a polished but flawed game, and I don't really know what they're referring to - apparently it's too linear? Which is not all that much worse than RO itself, anyway, 'cause I'd prefer linearity to grinding the gently caress out of only one viable dungeon per level range.

It's Windows-only, so I can't play it anyway, but I'm still holding out hope that RO and its lineage stays alive and well. Also, it is pretty as gently caress, oh my god :swoon:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
This is nothing like Ragnarok outside of art style. Get that notion out of your head immediately and you will end up happier.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god it's Ragnarok Online. :allears: RO is near and dear to my heart and this looks like a 2016 version of it which rules. I heard that it's apparently got some issues, though? It showed up in Extra Credits as being a polished but flawed game, and I don't really know what they're referring to - apparently it's too linear? Which is not all that much worse than RO itself, anyway, 'cause I'd prefer linearity to grinding the gently caress out of only one viable dungeon per level range.

It's Windows-only, so I can't play it anyway, but I'm still holding out hope that RO and its lineage stays alive and well. Also, it is pretty as gently caress, oh my god :swoon:

It's not Ragnarok Online. It only shares a few ex-employees who worked on some parts of it. Probably the only spiritual successor stuff you might find in it would be in the level of its visual detail and its music, which is definitely worth not muting as you play. The small design choices mentioned in the Extra Credits video were never described aside from the term linearity and how they weren't necessarily the major focus of developers. There are several (or more hidden!) goons still playing the game despite its flaws, so I'd say people would really need to actually play to see what isn't as perfect as their RO nostalgia would lead them to believe. One of the design flaws involving the class system is most definitely not describable as ~linear~.

Also if you are a reasonably powerful MacOS or Linux machine, have you looked into using Boot Camp or WINE, respectively, to emulate Windows to try it? Just throwing that out there for people still interested in vaulting that OS borderline--I managed marginally playable frame rates with my beefy CPU on Linux/WINE.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well I definitely didn't like everything in RO. The art style, music, characters, class progressions and hats were some of the fun parts for me, and it looks like this game has that :shrug: I wasn't huge on the grind and modern MMOs have a lot of stuff it lacked that I'd prefer having. I'll see if I can get it to run in WINE or something.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh yeah, the hats are a thing in this game again. I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

I installed Steam for Windows in my Wine installation and everything from the Steam client worked normally like it would have from there

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Rank 8 in less than a day, come on poo poo POST thread title brethren and :shrek:

There are major reworks of a number of classes, and also a big rollup with regards to client functionality. You may have missed some minor (band-aid) improvements earlier, too, if you haven't played in a while!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Oh good, maybe the population will jump up for a bit so I can actually get an evac party.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

There are major reworks of a number of classes, and also a big rollup with regards to client functionality. You may have missed some minor (band-aid) improvements earlier, too, if you haven't played in a while!

Are there patch notes or anything?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That would have been important to post yesterday! My mistake. Here they are for today: https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=677

Here is the log of all iToS patches if you care to clock through them: https://treeofsavior.com/news/?c=3

https://treeofsavior.com/news/?c=31 and here's a good tag to look through to check to see if you can still blame imcgames for your 1000 hours of wasted time with a steam review and

(it's a dev blog that contains q&a and client optimization experiments)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There's some of the updates since launch mentioned in the OP, I should prob update that again.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Well I definitely didn't like everything in RO. The art style, music, characters, class progressions and hats were some of the fun parts for me, and it looks like this game has that :shrug: I wasn't huge on the grind and modern MMOs have a lot of stuff it lacked that I'd prefer having. I'll see if I can get it to run in WINE or something.

It runs well in Wine, doubly so with the CSMT patches in Wine-Staging or even better if you have a Radeon card + Gallium Nine but the first one is a lot easier.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I'm actually enjoying the poo poo out of this as a wizard, you have a good amount of control over the flow of battle, can mob enemies together and tons of different spells with different cooldowns.

Should I be putting anything into anything but INT? Haha.
Sort of want to do a glass cannon type build, but that linker stuff looks interesting and maybe more useful for parties? Though if you have a tank why is that even needed...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Linker has Joint Penalty. Tie up several mobs with it and they share all damage. If you hit them all with an area of effect spell (or Wizard 3 Magic Missle), they take all of that damage multiplied by every tied-up mob that you hit. This is made even easier with Hangman's Knot pulling every mob you tied up all into one spot. The class is good even if you only take one circle in it, especially in parties. Later on, monster HP tends to scale up really hard, so they're always welcome for enabling extremely high group damage.

Edit: Tanks aren't as essential in the game as other games, because anything that can be tanked can also be kited really easily by everyone else. There's not much risk of getting hit if you're always moving except against mobs with ranged skills or homing magic attacks.

A little bit of CON may help you avoid getting one-shot by higher level ranged mobs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 24, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

It runs well in Wine, doubly so with the CSMT patches in Wine-Staging or even better if you have a Radeon card + Gallium Nine but the first one is a lot easier.

Oh man now I gotta try this next weekend

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I'm actually enjoying the poo poo out of this as a wizard, you have a good amount of control over the flow of battle, can mob enemies together and tons of different spells with different cooldowns.

Should I be putting anything into anything but INT? Haha.
Sort of want to do a glass cannon type build, but that linker stuff looks interesting and maybe more useful for parties? Though if you have a tank why is that even needed...

Do you want a guild invite? If you're already playing with friends, you can still hop in the discord (https://discord.gg/0rKIOWyaeDlPdPyP) if you have any questions. Or I guess I could just invite you all, there are plenty of people to kick lol.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Has Global actually gotten any of the significant performance improvements yet? I fired this up again after realizing I could actually run it over the Steam Link but I was still getting something like 20 FPS in town. :/

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Silento posted:

Do you want a guild invite? If you're already playing with friends, you can still hop in the discord (https://discord.gg/0rKIOWyaeDlPdPyP) if you have any questions. Or I guess I could just invite you all, there are plenty of people to kick lol.

Just me right now. I am trying to convince two other folks who are also SA members. Name: df00z

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Has Global actually gotten any of the significant performance improvements yet? I fired this up again after realizing I could actually run it over the Steam Link but I was still getting something like 20 FPS in town. :/

I log in every once in a while to see if the frame rate improvements are there, and no they arent

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
On frame rates: the devs blog regularly about what they're testing including for example ~multithreading of hair animation/transformation~ but it's already been established by (former) fans looking into the game that town FPS is garbage because the client waits a lot for netcode to deliver way too many things = many moments or micro-moments with 0 FPS.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

God the art style in this is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the art style is amazing but I honestly think objects could have had a bit more polygons and texture definition.

• Locked thread