Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Why would Vive compete with its own platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^because Vive is HTC, not Valve. Their Vive Home app actually looked kind of cool, proper 3D environments where you can place apps or whatever to your preference, kind of like a VR android phone home screen.

Lemming posted:

BigScreen is free and good. Doesn't hurt to try it out
So trip report of Witcher 2 in BigScreen is that it ran, without any major problems save occasional chromatic artifacting at random points. However even though I played in void theatre, it was (unsurprisingly) chugging a fair amount, even on a 1080 gtx, and the visuals were pretty muddy. Doing a quest where I had to search around a forest/swamp for patches of blood was a loving nightmare. I also had to turn down supersampling and AA in BigScreen settings which I think made it even more muddy-looking.
Generally I haven't been particularly impressed by BigScreen's visual quality and during gameplay it showed pretty badly. But for cutscenes and dialogue it was fine, so can't complain too much. I played a good few hours too so it wasn't exactly terrible.

Cojawfee posted:

Big screen seems to have a lot of overhead. I run virtual desktop when playing racing sims. It allows me to go to my desktop to start a new session or look at discord or whatever. I noticed that big screen seems to make games run a bit worse than when I use virtual desktop.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that, too. Even in the dedicated game mode it seems a bit worse. Still worth the trade-off imo
I'll try Virtual Desktop next time, see whether it's noticeably different. Haven't used VD before anyway so that will be interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordaedil posted:

Why would Vive compete with its own platform?

Steam isn't the Vive platform, it's a VR platform. Valve worked with HTC to create the Vive to have a device capable of running room scale games on SteamVR. HTC doesn't get anything from Steam.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
To that guy that was asking about Rift or Vive, I know you said you already tried the Vive but when you demo the Rift, make sure you set the IPD because it can make a pretty big difference to the clarity. On the Rift there is a button on the under right hand side that you push in and slide left to right. If you decide to demo the Vive again, there is a knob on the bottom right that rotates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Has valve added an ipd adjustment to SteamVR? The one for oculus is great, you adjust the slider until the lines are sharp and then you move the headset up and down until it's all clear. Last I checked, you have to use the chaperone to do this with a vive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

While it isn't hardware locked like Oculus it's still silly. Also doesn't allow refunds gently caress you HTC.

http://www.htc.com/us/terms/vive/viveport-terms-of-use/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So now there are no good vr headsets?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, PSVR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah but no one will buy that because they will all buy PS4 pros instead. VR is over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

Uh all the headsets are good tho

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GlyphGryph posted:

Uh all the headsets are good tho

VR is saved! :toot:

Who's up for some magic memes??

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, PSVR.

That one is going to have an exclusive store too!

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Just an FYI, if you're doing any VR on your android phone, it's a good time to uninstall the Oculus app, at least for a while. There's a problem where it's trying to install an update, and all it's doing is draining the battery like crazy. I lost maybe 50-60% over a few hours. Supposedly there's a hotfix being pushed, but since I haven't been using it for a while, I have no need of it.

Thank you for the info; I thought my battery poo poo the bed and wasn't looking forward to having to get a new phone right now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cojawfee posted:

Steam isn't the Vive platform, it's a VR platform. Valve worked with HTC to create the Vive to have a device capable of running room scale games on SteamVR. HTC doesn't get anything from Steam.

HTC is also a Korean company, and so they might be looking at the Asian markets where Steam isn't as completely dominant as it is in NA and Europe.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Unless I'm reading something wrong that Vive store will only be for "experience" type things and not for actual games which you will still get from Steam.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I saw actual games in the Vive store already (Fantastic Contraption and Cloudlands).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BMan posted:

I saw actual games in the Vive store already (Fantastic Contraption and Cloudlands).

oh poo poo my bad, I was going by what was written in this article which said it was for non-gaming content. this seems like a really bad move on HTC's part in that case, I mean one of the big reasons to get a vive was "they're not doing the oculus home bullshit"

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

d0s posted:

oh poo poo my bad, I was going by what was written in this article which said it was for non-gaming content. this seems like a really bad move on HTC's part in that case, I mean one of the big reasons to get a vive was "they're not doing the oculus home bullshit"

I think non-gaming experiences are intended to be the focus of it, but not the only thing they will offer.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well now I'm just confused: http://blog.vive.com/us/2016/09/your-journey-begins-at-viveport/

quote:

As part of this release, we are introducing Viveport Premieres–titles launching first on Viveport. These titles include Everest VR, Google Spotlight Stories’ Pearl, Lifeliqe, Stonehenge VR, The Music Room, an all-new edition of theBlu and more.
It looks like half of the supposed "Viveport Premieres" are already being sold outside of Viveport, so I don't know what the gently caress. (Everest VR and theBlu are on Steam, The Music Room has a humble widget on their web site)

e: Also, can someone explain to me how buying exclusives for a store makes any economic sense when there is no vendor lock-in?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BMan posted:

e: Also, can someone explain to me how buying exclusives for a store makes any economic sense when there is no vendor lock-in?
Profits are in software, not hardware, but I might be misunderstanding what you're asking

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I mean, if I wanted to buy a game that was a Viveport Premiere, I would buy that and then immediately go back to Steam. I imagine most gamers would do the same, so I don't see how this scheme makes HTC money.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

BMan posted:

I mean, if I wanted to buy a game that was a Viveport Premiere, I would buy that and then immediately go back to Steam. I imagine most gamers would do the same, so I don't see how this scheme makes HTC money.

Well, you would have bought it from them. AFAIK HTC doesn't get any money for titles purchased on Steam.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yes, but presumably HTC would have paid the developers a boatload of money to not release on Steam.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

BMan posted:

As has been said, the profit is in software, not hardware. One way to do this is, like the Apple store, to make your own hardware and control the market for software that runs on it. But another option is to just sell software that works on other companies' hardware; consider Steam. Valve makes no hardware (there's the steam hardware stuff, but I think that's all through other manufacturers). You don't need a Steam machine to use Steam; you can use it on any PC. This works great for Valve, since they get huge profits and don't have to worry about the hardware front.

So while Oculus would prefer people buy the Rift, what they mostly want is for people to buy VR software through Oculus Home so they get their 30%. The problem for Oculus, and to a lesser extent HTC, is competing with Steam is a fool's errand. There's a lot of inertia to stores; someone that already has a steam account, and does all of their gaming on Steam, is going to want to continue using Steam. If you gave PC VR users a choice between buying games on Steam or Oculus Home, they're almost universally going to choose Steam. So the goal with the exclusives is to get people in the door; once someone has both an Oculus Home and a Steam account, with games on each, they might be more willing to buy their stuff on Oculus Home. If they do that, and Oculus or HTC get a piece of Steam's insanely profitable revenue stream, it could make up the cost of exclusives.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 30, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
^^^^^ explained much better

BMan posted:

Yes, but presumably HTC would have paid the developers a boatload of money to not release of Steam.

I think HTC's finance option for developers is they give devs money, but HTC gets a percentage of the company. So that + software sales is probably how they are planning on making profit.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 30, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well, I see that there are a few titles on sale on Viveport for a dollar. Now there's something I can get behind.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

thing I've been wondering, if you have a rift and a game is on both oculus home and steam is there any benefit to buying it on oculus home?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

thing I've been wondering, if you have a rift and a game is on both oculus home and steam is there any benefit to buying it on oculus home?

Not really, besides the convenience that Home starts up when you put on the Rift. In the case of a game that uses steamworks like Project Cars, you would want to get it on Steam since it uses their MP servers, otherwise you can only play with people that own it on Home.

Although in the case of Blaze Rush, it's sold on both Steam and Home, but only the Home version supports VR unless you bought it on Steam before March 28th. That's the only game like that afaik, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

d0s posted:

If you buy it on Home and use a Rift, it will use the Oculus SDK and have a few features only supported by Oculus SDK with direct hardware access, like Asynchronous Timewarp. Which is generally held to work better than SteamVR's solution, Reprojection.

So there are differences, but I'd probably pay more attention to things like price and which store you prefer using.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A game that's on both should have an option on steam to launch using the oculus sdk. I personally prefer to buy things on steam but it is really nice to just put on the rift and select a game from the home screen.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

A game that's on both should have an option on steam to launch using the oculus sdk. I personally prefer to buy things on steam but it is really nice to just put on the rift and select a game from the home screen.

Ah, I didn't realize that. Good to know.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bremen posted:

If you buy it on Home and use a Rift, it will use the Oculus SDK and have a few features only supported by Oculus SDK with direct hardware access, like Asynchronous Timewarp. Which is generally held to work better than SteamVR's solution, Reprojection.

So there are differences, but I'd probably pay more attention to things like price and which store you prefer using.

ok this is the thing I thought I heard a while ago and totally forgot about other than some vague notion that it was better to run games from home

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

ok this is the thing I thought I heard a while ago and totally forgot about other than some vague notion that it was better to run games from home

Like Cojawfee said if a game is on Steam as well as Home, you will have the option to run it from Steam using the Oculus runtime and get ATW and the slightly lower latency that the Oculus runtime has, the only exception that I know of is Blaze Rush, but the developers had stopped working on it and patched in only Oculus support around launch.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Is the Virtual Desktop dev still giving out keys for Oculus home/Steam depending on what platform you buy it from? Bigscreen is cool... but I have to dumb graphics down quite a bit sometimes. Word is Virtual Desktop is a bit lighter on the system resources.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

BMan posted:

Well now I'm just confused: http://blog.vive.com/us/2016/09/your-journey-begins-at-viveport/

It looks like half of the supposed "Viveport Premieres" are already being sold outside of Viveport, so I don't know what the gently caress. (Everest VR and theBlu are on Steam, The Music Room has a humble widget on their web site)

I think that TheBlu at least is some sort of "remaster" fwiw

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Syves posted:

Is the Virtual Desktop dev still giving out keys for Oculus home/Steam depending on what platform you buy it from? Bigscreen is cool... but I have to dumb graphics down quite a bit sometimes. Word is Virtual Desktop is a bit lighter on the system resources.

I know you get Home keys if you buy it from Steam, but I don't think it's the other way around. If you buy it on Steam, just right-click and View CD key, and that's your Oculus Home key.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Aaaand done. ^Thanks!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I actually usually buy a game on Oculus Home instead of Steam if it's available on both, just because the Oculus frontend is faster to access via the Rift and I like the look of it better. And Steam VR is kind of flaky and does annoying things sometimes (at least with the Rift), like not releasing itself after a game unless I manually go close SteamVR. But these are minimal differences, I'm never going to pass by a game just because it's only on Steam and not in the Oculus store.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I actually usually buy a game on Oculus Home instead of Steam if it's available on both, just because the Oculus frontend is faster to access via the Rift and I like the look of it better. And Steam VR is kind of flaky and does annoying things sometimes (at least with the Rift), like not releasing itself after a game unless I manually go close SteamVR. But these are minimal differences, I'm never going to pass by a game just because it's only on Steam and not in the Oculus store.

Yeah I had to actually go in the SteamVR settings and disable it otherwise it kept overriding the Oculus runtime when I would run The Solus Project and the performance really was noticeably worse, more than just not having ATW. I guess there is more latency or overhead using OpenVR on the Rift compared to native implementation or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like touch was just approved by the FCC.

https://fccid.io/2AGOZTO-L