Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dude, the Rhino, the Vulture, the Scorpion, Dr. Octopus, all their first appearances were really strong, and they had interesting powers. Gibbon's deal is "agile and strong, but not as much as Spider-man, and also ugly".

It makes the Circus of Crime seem like Dr. Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

ManBearPig?

Source?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The latest Deadpool/Spiderman

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Speaking of Deadpool, the Amazing Friends bit was alright, and the Livewires resurrection was interesting, but I think we can all agree on the best joke from Deadpool Annual:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8VUAkLh.png][/IMG]
The original Negasonic Teenage Warhead! :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

who?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Most of what I'm getting from the last couple pages is comics are self-aware as gently caress nowadays. Heroes who understand they're in a narrative universe, cosmic beings whose "mysterious, unknowable speech" is just unfiltered industry talk, villains totally aware of their position on the tier list and organizing themselves like a reality TV show for washed-up celebrities. Like everyone involved is too self-conscious to tell a straight-up superhero story in an unironic way now that everyone and their dog knows the genre and its deconstructions and the deconstructions of the deconstructions backward and forward.

That might be part of what people enjoy about Newspaper Spider-Man, I suppose, the flat sincerity of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

Most of what I'm getting from the last couple pages is comics are self-aware as gently caress nowadays. Heroes who understand they're in a narrative universe, cosmic beings whose "mysterious, unknowable speech" is just unfiltered industry talk, villains totally aware of their position on the tier list and organizing themselves like a reality TV show for washed-up celebrities. Like everyone involved is too self-conscious to tell a straight-up superhero story in an unironic way now that everyone and their dog knows the genre and its deconstructions and the deconstructions of the deconstructions backward and forward.

Now read Multiversity!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dolash posted:

That might be part of what people enjoy about Newspaper Spider-Man, I suppose, the flat sincerity of it.

Read Superman. It is a book about Superman and Lois raising their kid. Also Superman fights a robot-ghost-man in Batman's moon Batcave.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dolash posted:

This is mostly a Marvel thing. Which is part of the reason that Marvel feels up its own rear end in a top hat. Most of DCs stuff is pretty normal.

Gaz-L posted:

Read Superman. It is a book about Superman and Lois raising their kid. Also Superman fights a robot-ghost-man in Batman's moon Batcave.

Although, yes, Read Superman

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Remember when DC's biggest villain was a pissed off fanboy who ripped off peoples arms and punch their heads off?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember when DC's biggest villain was a pissed off fanboy who ripped off peoples arms and punch their heads off?

Clarification, Recent.

Also Superboy-Prime was never DC's biggest Villain, even in Infinite Crisis.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like Marvel is usually pretty good but Civil War is really bogging it down right now.

Meanwhile most of Rebirth is actually awesome

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Onmi posted:

Clarification, Recent.

Also Superboy-Prime was never DC's biggest Villain, even in Infinite Crisis.

Doesn't Harley break the fourth wall all the time?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wouldn't say that the current Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Moon Knight, Nighthawk, Squadron Supreme, The Ultimates, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Spider-Man: 2099, Totally Awesome Hulk, Drax, Vision, and Carnage feel obnoxiously self-aware. Maybe I've just avoided it entirely, but it doesn't really seem that Marvel is that much worse about it than DC is to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

She is knock off deadpool yeah.

Though Marvel also has a knock off deadpool so.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Not all the time, just in her recent Deadpool-lite series.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I know Johns sucks but I wouldn't say he's an outright villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Dude, the Rhino, the Vulture, the Scorpion, Dr. Octopus, all their first appearances were really strong, and they had interesting powers. Gibbon's deal is "agile and strong, but not as much as Spider-man, and also ugly".

Isn't Gibbon the one whose a misogynist with the power to mesmerise women?

I know there's this simian bad guy with that power, but Gibbon's the only one that occurs to me off the top of my head.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You know who was pretty cool? Ambush Bug.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Gibbon the one whose a misogynist with the power to mesmerise women?

I know there's this simian bad guy with that power, but Gibbon's the only one that occurs to me off the top of my head.

Mandrill is who you're thinking of.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arent mandrills those assmonkeys?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's the all the stuff in the first panel that makes it for me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Now read Multiversity!

e: I think the only real aware-they're-in-comics characters anymore are Gwenpool and Superboy Prime, and Prime never really acted like he knew he was in a comic as much as being in an alternate reality.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

prefect posted:

You know who was pretty cool? Ambush Bug.

Glad I'm not the only one who still loves the first fourth wall breaking lunatic and remembers everyone else ripping HIM off.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Arent mandrills those assmonkeys?

Yuuuup. But this one has a cape to hide his shame!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

I think it's a HUGE improvement on the old "grim and gritty 90's" model, and steps above the even older "narrate everything and huge thought bubbles" model. Frankly as long as the fun self aware stuff doesn't get in the way of the story I have no complaints.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Saoshyant posted:

It's the all the stuff in the first panel that makes it for me.

Nintendo Gameboy #1 for anyone who cares.

PUBLISHED BY VALIANT COMICS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ross Andru may not be the most popular Spider-man artist, but he did give us this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stonk: Well, that rape-face is gonna haunt my nightmares.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Ross Andru may not be the most popular Spider-man artist, but he did give us this.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

mind the walrus posted:

Bonus because it's loving funny

As a follow up, as it becomes a full on "I am Spartacus", out of nowhere...

This series is the loving best.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not a "funny"panel but it certainly made me laugh just now

Ultimates #1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't get it

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Civil War II assassinating Captain Marvel's character is the punchline

Edit: Actually, doesn't America Chavez kick the crap out of Captain Marvel when she realizes Carol's becoming a hypocrite? Or was that for some other reason

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 2, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If history repeats itself then we are in for one hell of a movie in a few years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nerdman42 posted:

Civil War II assassinating Captain Marvel's character is the punchline

Edit: Actually, doesn't America Chavez kick the crap out of Captain Marvel when she realizes Carol's becoming a hypocrite? Or was that for some other reason

Not exactly, it's because Carol refuses to admit Ulysses could be wrong and insists on keeping the lady with the empty briefcase in custody without charge.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

America has seen this exact thing before a couple of times, and decided to nip the whole minority report thing in the bud. Which she can do, because she's just as powerful as anyone else on that team.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wiegieman posted:

America has seen this exact thing before a couple of times, and decided to nip the whole minority report thing in the bud. Which she can do, because she's just as powerful as anyone else on that team.

One of my favourite little beats to show that from Ewing was in the first issue, where Monica Rambeau talks about what it's like for her to turn into pure light. She's travelling at c or close to it, so relatively, everything else seems to stand still, freezing in time. Except America, who's moving in slow motion.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

One of my favourite little beats to show that from Ewing was in the first issue, where Monica Rambeau talks about what it's like for her to turn into pure light. She's travelling at c or close to it, so relatively, everything else seems to stand still, freezing in time. Except America, who's moving in slow motion.

Monica travels at light speed. I remember an issue of avengers where she was complaining how slow it was to travel across the solar system at this speed.

I guess she doesn't experience time dilation because she's made of light?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I know I've asked this before but seriously what is Bendis' problem with Captain Marvel? He's devoted an entire summer event to making GBS threads all over a character other people in Marvel are hoping to build into their first truly break out female superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bendis seems to run on his own frequency