Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

But a card's price during standard isn't heavily impacted by its modern playability. Which was the topic at hand.

That isn't true at all. It doesn't come up all that much lately, but a cards modern playability is definitely a factor. Nahiri would be 6 bucks if it wasn't playable in modern. K-command would have been a bulk rare. Plenty of examples out there.

Fetches would be less than 5 bucks now if modern didn't influence things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

That isn't true at all. It doesn't come up all that much lately, but a cards modern playability is definitely a factor. Nahiri would be 6 bucks if it wasn't playable in modern. K-command would have been a bulk rare. Plenty of examples out there.

Fetches would be less than 5 bucks now if modern didn't influence things.

Ok that's accurate and I was thinking that as I posted it so I'll concede. But my point stands that it's kinda silly to dismiss Theros as a set that only had Thoughtseize when talking about prices.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Ok that's accurate and I was thinking that as I posted it so I'll concede. But my point stands that it's kinda silly to dismiss Theros as a set that only had Thoughtseize when talking about prices.

Theros was a very powerful set compared to sets from today. The price of the set was a little more balanced from the top down compared to now. Just more cards to build an entire deck around.

We might get there again one day.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Why doesn't See The Unwritten see any play on Modern? Too expensive?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
What are you trying to hit with it that Collected Company can't? Also it's a sorcery.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Alris posted:

Probably, but this makes me want to try now. I loving loved that card for that last few months before Theros rotated. Got to live the dream of finding Xenagod and Atarka, World Render for the one-hit-KO so many times.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alris posted:

Why would you cast a 6 mana spell that might do nothing instead of a 6 mana spell that wins the game(Prime Time)?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

what

Notable rares/mythics:
Xenagos
Ashiok
Fleecemane Lion
elspeth, sun's champion
whip of erebos
stormbreath dragon
polukranos
arbor colossus
boon satyr
hero's downfall
firedrinker satyr
sylvan caryatid
thoughtseize
chained to the rocks

Nice job leaving out Master of Waves, you racist

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Four Score posted:

Nice job leaving out Master of Waves, you racist

Blue Lives Don't Matter

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alris posted:

Summoning Trap be better when you're looking for primeval Titans 9+ after 4 summoner's pact and 4 titans. See is like traps 5-8.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Blue Lives Don't Matter

Ever

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Alris posted:

There are much better, faster, and more reliable ways to cheat Emrakul/Griselbrand/etc into play.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
See the unwritten? More like see the unplayable.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

CountFosco posted:

See the unwritten? More like see the unplayable.

someone give this guy a blue star

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
3-1 with UG Marvel. Was hilarious when it worked.

Played: a guy on ramp who still had Painlands and flip walkers in his deck. He fixed it after that round but I had won anyways (a spectator noticed).

Green Ramp: playing a bunch of World Breakers and Ulamogs, but also playing Aetherworks Marvel and some energy cards. World Breaker is good in this meta, I think.

Bant Tamiyo: it was just Bant Company with Tammy Moonsocks in place of Company. This is a hard matchup as he had a lot of bounce and his low drops represented a lot of value. Lost easily 0-2 thanks to some terrible flooding in both games.

Mono-U Aetherflux: this deck I had seen before and it didn't seem good in practice. Never found an Aetherworks Marvel and still won easily by just hardcasting Verdurous Gearhulk.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Went to FNM with Bant Superfriends hoping to acquire the 3 Nissas I'd need on site, not one available. So my deck wasn't ideal. Went 2-2 because Fevered Visions knocked in down to the x-1 bracket which was just soaked solid with Liliana/Emrakul decks. Ground out against three of those in a row.

What I learned:
-If you don't have your fastlands for a deck, Aether hub is only a good replacement IF you have other means of gaining energy. Avoid at all costs if you don't.
-Brisela's time might have come. She flatout won me two games.
-Don't bring your kid to FNM if he contracted hand, foot and mouth disease. Even if you have him wear latex gloves. Which were creepy.
-Buy Gearhulks. They're all great except the blue one.
-Angel of Invention + Displacer = some very good board states
-Always watch out for that kid that's playing a GU clues deck with Ulamog in it. Keep an eye on that lil fucker.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I really wanna get Verdurous Gearhulks. Of course I've opened a red one and two white ones instead.

I guess I'm waiting for this set to open really well for the masterpieces so they come down from $17-18 and I can pick up a playset for about half of what it'd cost now.

Also I opened what I'm gonna open and have ordered what I need for RG Energy (Number 8 here, sub Arlinn's for the Chandra's, though I did open a Chandra today :v:). Looks fun! I like aggro, and a Standard deck that uses new mechanics and wins by turn 4 seems to be very much My poo poo.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 1, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I really wanna get Verdurous Gearhulks. Of course I've opened a red one and two white ones instead.

I guess I'm waiting for this set to open really well for the masterpieces so they come down from $17-18 and I can pick up a playset for about half of what it'd cost now.

Also I opened what I'm gonna open and have ordered what I need for RG Energy (Number 8 here, sub Arlinn's for the Chandra's, though I did open a Chandra today :v:). Looks fun! I like aggro, and a Standard deck that uses new mechanics and wins by turn 4 seems to be very much My poo poo.

They were 12 yesterday.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Played: a guy on ramp who still had Painlands and flip walkers in his deck. He fixed it after that round but I had won anyways (a spectator noticed).

Green Ramp: playing a bunch of World Breakers and Ulamogs, but also playing Aetherworks Marvel and some energy cards. World Breaker is good in this meta, I think.

Bant Tamiyo: it was just Bant Company with Tammy Moonsocks in place of Company. This is a hard matchup as he had a lot of bounce and his low drops represented a lot of value. Lost easily 0-2 thanks to some terrible flooding in both games.

Mono-U Aetherflux: this deck I had seen before and it didn't seem good in practice. Never found an Aetherworks Marvel and still won easily by just hardcasting Verdurous Gearhulk.

I left Marvel off the list of cards that could spike but I think thats wrong. This deck is very inconsistent but it looks great when it works.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One poopy thing about the new Chandra is that unlike most red cast from exile cards of this sort, you don't get to choose when when to cast the spell. It's either there and then or you lose access to it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You can now have twitch prime for free if you have amazon prime. This gives you a free sub a month. I almost subbed to SCG right now just to use the chat. Glad I dodged that bad decision.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For a second there I thought they were already streaming today's event, since they were discussing Kaladesh cards. When's SCG Indy start?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was trying to trade for Aetherflux Reservoirs last night but every single person who had one said they were saving it for their Commander deck, which says a lot about the format. People are going to get tired of being killed by a single four mana spell very quickly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

When's SCG Indy start?

Now

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
New Standard My Friends https://www.twitch.tv/scglive

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

For a second there I thought they were already streaming today's event, since they were discussing Kaladesh cards. When's SCG Indy start?

About right now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sickening posted:

They were 12 yesterday.

CFB has em at $16. Are they really going up each day? Which seller are you looking at?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

CFB has em at $16. Are they really going up each day? Which seller are you looking at?

Probably this one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This nissa game 1 seems really strong and then I think what this game would look like if it was a gearhulk instead. Shame really.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I use to be a fam of CFB, but you at this point you can trust any premium seller on TCGplayer to get you a card within 5 days from purchase with a healthy discount in price. TCGplayer also gives you a kickback on major weekends like this that isn't irrelevant.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 1, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

This nissa game 1 seems really strong and then I think what this game would look like if it was a gearhulk instead. Shame really.
And both Nissa and its land promptly get run over by a gearhulk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

And both Nissa and its land promptly get run over by a gearhulk.

And wardens seem busted as gently caress. I haven't seen a single copy in playtesting. It does make sense with gearhulk.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Blossoming Defense seems to do a pretty good job at locking in the 2-for-1.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

What's your final list look like?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Not sure why homeboy didn't grasp of darkness Nelson's smuggler copter before the gearhulk +1/+1 counters resolved.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not that Nelson doesn't know what he's doing, but playing Wrath w/ Fiend Hunter is, uh, interesting

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Not sure why homeboy didn't grasp of darkness Nelson's smuggler copter before the gearhulk +1/+1 counters resolved.

i think he only had forest swamp untapped that turn, but yeah he prob could have grasped it on an earlier turn

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

You can now have twitch prime for free if you have amazon prime. This gives you a free sub a month. I almost subbed to SCG right now just to use the chat. Glad I dodged that bad decision.

Chat isn't sub-only so far today

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just want to see what the green value decks do against emmy this weekend.

Dehtraen posted:

Chat isn't sub-only so far today

Brand new thing that SCG decided to do. Rogue can eat a dick forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I decided to pop into my old LGS and bought a box of kaladesh.

In the first pack I got a smugglers coptor and a Chandra emblem.

Eight more packs in I also have a hangerback masterwork, a foil Chandra, spirebluffs canal and a torrential gearhulk.

Oh and a cool foil filigree familiar.

• Locked thread