Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

You done hosed up when your Poliwrath isn't named Wrath

Lol gently caress

E: apparently pokemoncenter.com goes in and out of stock on pluses every 37 minutes

Colonel Squish fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

So this was outside my office all day today. I walked round behind the building near the pokéstop and tried to stand on the exact spot of the invisi-spawn, but nothing happened. Missingno?

Since of the last two updates I sometimes get a bug where Pokemon models don't load and odd behavior like that happens. It occasionally occurs after force-quitting and restarting the app and the solution seems to be do it a second time :shrug:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I missed out on the Pokémon craze, mostly because I never got into consoles. Out of curiosity, I started playing Pokémon Emerald (GBA, 2004) on an emulator, and I'm surprised by how easy the game is. I've switch on the Fast speed mode and I'm effortlessly grinding my Pokémon up to high levels because most battles are just trivial speed bumps. Is this normal for Pokémon games? There is next to zero challenge.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kurzon posted:

I missed out on the Pokémon craze, mostly because I never got into consoles. Out of curiosity, I started playing Pokémon Emerald (GBA, 2004) on an emulator, and I'm surprised by how easy the game is. I've switch on the Fast speed mode and I'm effortlessly grinding my Pokémon up to high levels because most battles are just trivial speed bumps. Is this normal for Pokémon games? There is next to zero challenge.

It's a kid's game through and through, though I don't know what you expect to achieve by grinding except making it even easier. The post game has a game mode for a real challenge though.

For reference, there's a megathread for the main series.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"When Pokémon Diamond and Pearl were released in 2006, the pair of games sold primarily to preschoolers, 1st – 3rd-graders, and 4th – 6th-graders."

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Judging by how many adults seem crazy about Pokémon, I thought it had something to offer a seasoned gamer.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean it's still fun if it's the kind of game you enjoy. Just not hard unless you go to an effort to make it so.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
That's fine, I know what the target demographic is. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Emerald never really gets tricky if you know how to exploit type weaknesses. It's lacking in a good area to grind XP for level 55+ tho because the area they had for that in Ruby and Sapphire got repurposed for Emerald's story.

The current games probably are even easier because the Experience Share can be used on the entire team instead of it being limited to a single Pokemon.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Kurzon posted:

Judging by how many adults seem crazy about Pokémon, I thought it had something to offer a seasoned gamer.

It kinda does if you have other people to play against.

As a single player game not so much unless you're just into leveling up and seeing numbers get bigger or collecting things.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

theflyingexecutive posted:

You done hosed up when your Poliwrath isn't named Wrath

Seriously colonel what the gently caress man

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Went to SAn Fran. Ate a chowder, caught a poo poo Dratini and a mediocre dragonite. Tracking system was cool and good but I don't expect them to release for genpop until I've stopped playing this for 6 months

Oh who am I kidding I'll be pumping dragonites until the end of days

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TVs Ian posted:

It kinda does if you have other people to play against.

As a single player game not so much unless you're just into leveling up and seeing numbers get bigger or collecting things.
I think later entries eventually added features to simulate competitive play for people who never got to play with others or just wanted to practice. It's generally best to get whatever the newest Pokémon game is when looking to get into it anyway because they've continued adding more features and convenience stuff. So him picking it up at Emerald is a taste but not quite representative.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Went to SAn Fran. Ate a chowder, caught a poo poo Dratini and a mediocre dragonite. Tracking system was cool and good but I don't expect them to release for genpop until I've stopped playing this for 6 months

Oh who am I kidding I'll be pumping dragonites until the end of days

You can get handfuls of dratini around pier 39 if you hang around long enough. Just dratinis falling out of your pockets really.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

My town is populated by a huge majority of trash Pokemon. Level 25 and this is the best I got. Like, 60% of the way to a gyarados that will probably be garbage.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Pedomagician, nice.

Pretty good names there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Vegastar posted:

My town is populated by a huge majority of trash Pokemon. Level 25 and this is the best I got. Like, 60% of the way to a gyarados that will probably be garbage.

I'm level 25 and my top six isn't much better. I sure do have a gently caress ton of 1200-1300 CP Hypnos though!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think I found the creepiest pokestop

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm level 25 and my top six isn't much better. I sure do have a gently caress ton of 1200-1300 CP Hypnos though!

I catch so many loving drowzee mashing the Go+ button I've started saving them to go with pidgey and weedle for lucky egg evo sprees. At 50 candy a pop, it's sad I can get 6-8 in the same period I end up with 300 trash candies.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kurzon posted:

There's plenty of challenge.

After the Elite Four.

The parts before that are essentially an extended tutorial / story mode, designed so that even preschoolers can get through it. Mind you, having battles in Switch instead of Set mode, in options, is essentially easy mode - well, "even easier" mode - but they also counter the grinding benefits in the actually difficult modes.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Kurzon posted:

You can sperg out with an IV calculator in those too and make that the focus of the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

chemosh6969 posted:

You can sperg out with an IV calculator in those too and make that the focus of the game.

Apparently the upcoming generation will add a trainer for IVs so you don't have to rely on inces(san)t breeding and trading for a hacked Ditto with perfect IVs.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mierenneuker posted:

Apparently the upcoming generation will add a trainer for IVs so you don't have to rely on inces(san)t breeding and trading for a hacked Ditto with perfect IVs.

That's in Sun & Moon right? Which will come to Go in 5 years.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/30/pokemon-go-made-470-million-in-82-days-as-it-moves-from-fad-to-steady-success/

I guess it shouldn't be surprising but even despite the falloff those are pretty great numbers, they still pull about $2 million a day according to this article

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

lol

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/09/bringing-Pokemon-GO-to-life-on-Google-Cloud.html

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snowy posted:

I think I found the creepiest pokestop

This just needs a drone for a player who is too lazy to get up from their Cheetos covered desk and it would be perfect. I don't care if it's not even someone playing. I just want something like a dumb surveillance thing in place for that stop.

4hourspdrvnmbnr
Sep 23, 2016
I too

Ensign Expendable posted:

Drowzee spawn everywhere here as well. That and Jynx.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So I went and checked the move sets on the "best" of the trash I've managed to pick up so far and it's depressing as hell:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gCNhxvnipvx0vloz4PAPtQz8Hbtm95vaInV_SMF75FA/pubhtml?gid=520149460&single=true

The Jolteons will eventually possibly let me deal with the Vaporeons but there's nothing doing against the Snorlax menace. I may as well just give up even thinking about gyms.

And by "best" I mean max potential CP, obviously those Pidgeots aren't very useful but I wanted to see just how far behind they are.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I've done the finally evolution on a few things the last couple days and have been pretty successful at getting the crappiest moves for all of them. It's even better when it's the first time you catch enough to be able to do that evolution for the first time ever.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went 2 states out of town today. Saw a full sightings list for the first time in at least 2 months. Still surrounded by Pidgey. Literally 5 of them circling me about to mug my rear end as soon as the GPS loaded my location. Game sucks everywhere, apparently.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Kurzon posted:

Nah, the nostalgia is just really strong and the game is filled with cute creatures, that's all. To the credit of people keeping up with every single game, they just like seeing new baby monsters and cool new features evolving with each franchise. But there is still endgame PvP battling which is the only challenging part. Otherwise like all RPGs, you can grind as much as you want and nothing would really be a challenge. Pokemon is just a lot easier because they have the type weakness thing going on and you can easily cover most types with 2-3 Pokemon in your team, not to mention that game battles call out "your opponent is about to send out a fire Pokemon next, would you like to change to your Pokemon with a water move ahead of time to murder it on the first hit?"

My motivation for buying Sun and Moon is because my friends are doing it and I haven't played an actual Pokemon game in forever. Not to mention the setting is different than the normal McNormal land.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Anyone know what the nests in Philadelphia have switched to? I think that Logan Square is Pikachu and Rittenhouse is Geodude but I haven't checked out any of the others.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Welp, my cp2000 Snorlax just dropped out of the gym closest to my place after being in there for 26 days. That's 260 coins, $2.60 profit! Originally it was at the top, later higher CP mons were put in, until it got to the bottom. rip

I replaced it with a cp3000 Dragonite, hopefully that's good enough to last another month, unless Instinct or Valor decide to get off their rear end and roll up the blue zone that my area seems to be!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

Since of the last two updates I sometimes get a bug where Pokemon models don't load and odd behavior like that happens. It occasionally occurs after force-quitting and restarting the app and the solution seems to be do it a second time :shrug:

Yeah I figured it was a bug. I've been experiencing a lot of strange glitches recently but I bought a new phone around the same time as the 0.39 patch was pushed, so I can't be sure whether it's the phone or the game.

I've been getting GPS freezes where my trainer gets frozen in one place for about 5 minutes during which I can spin pokéstops and capture spawns. After 5 mins or so I get the big red "GPS signal not found" message and have to force-quit the app. Other GPS tracking stuff on my phone works fine. This only seems to happen in particular places and I've a feeling it might be related to gyms being visible on the map. I've ran the game fine for hours at home where there's nothing on the map.

On the plus side, the Moto Z is great for running this game. I can get about 7 hours continuous play on a full charge and the fast recharge will bump the battery back to 100% in an hour while the game is running. On my old phone the game would drain the battery even when it was plugged into a mains charger.

Some random pro-tips:
  • I don't know if this is a Moto or Marshmallow thing, but my phone has the option to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to shrink the current app to about 2/3 of the full screen size. Great for one-hand ball tossing (snigger) on the move and it makes catching long-distance Zubats and others a lot easier.
  • Proximity Service Small no-nonsense app that turns off the screen and disables touch input whenever the front-facing camera is covered. PoGo still runs and tracks distance, buzzes on spawns etc, but no more accidental pocket purchases.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Kurzon posted:

Maybe don't grind your pokemon to extremely high levels

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

[*]Proximity Service Small no-nonsense app that turns off the screen and disables touch input whenever the front-facing camera is covered. PoGo still runs and tracks distance, buzzes on spawns etc, but no more accidental pocket purchases.
[/list]

I use GO Extender for that purpose, it also blacks out the screen. It also works when the phone is put face-down or held upside down.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dferreira.gopikapi

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Society posted:

You can get handfuls of dratini around pier 39 if you hang around long enough. Just dratinis falling out of your pockets really.

Tempted to jus hit San Francisco for one day. I wonder how bad airfare would be for a round trip.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Cowslips Warren posted:

Tempted to jus hit San Francisco for one day. I wonder how bad airfare would be for a round trip.

Only pull the trigger if you have a fun agenda of memorable activities to do as the primary focus of the trip and capturing pokemon is something you sorta do while waiting or standing around.

I made a trip to a BONA-FIDE bellsprout nest on a whim and those 20 candies, gas and a lost saturday triggered my "why am I doing this" revelation and now I just catch rattatas on the bus.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's fun, but I wouldn't necessarily book a flight for that purpose. I've been down a few times, but only cause I was in the area. Pokemon spawns are always changing, and it'd be easy to be disappointed. For instance I think the big squirtle nest at fort mason is now psyduck or something. You could probably find the same kinds of pokemon in any coastal area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I realised last night that the mediocre Dragonite I caught a while back was like, level 15. Just under 1400cp. I had a bunch of candies from dratinis and it has the 2nd best defensive moveset so I forcefed it and now it's a much more respectable 2019cp defender.

• Locked thread