Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

cyberia posted:

It sounds like you should all ditch the Windows computers you have and get a Mac since they have both a superior OS and user experience.

Macs are indeed what I recommend for computer-illiterate people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Somfin posted:

Macs are indeed what I recommend for computer-illiterate people
Seriously. Great deal of care went into designing those, many actions are intuitive and predictable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So this is where all the boring angry computer janitors are posting now that GBS has been shook up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guy Mann posted:

So this is where all the boring angry computer janitors are posting now that GBS has been shook up.

There is, literally, an entire other subforum dedicated to nothing else.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm glad people have opinions about who posts in what subforum despite it being painfully obvious they have never even looked at the subforum in question

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Anyone who gives a poo poo about what version of windows they use is a loving moron, shut up, use whatever, no one cares why you use either the old lovely thing or the new broken thing, it doesn't even have anything to do with marketing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Anyone who gives a poo poo about what version of windows they use is a loving moron, shut up, use whatever, no one cares why you use either the old lovely thing or the new broken thing, it doesn't even have anything to do with marketing.

Use Vista or 8.0 for an hour and then tell me how the version doesn't matter. Also, Windows 10 is always awful marketing stuff. Always.
From the beginning I had to block my computer's repeated threats to automatically upgrade my OS for this new one that was cooking GPU's at the time. Then it gave me a deadline to willingly upgrade, an ultimatum, so I had to change my system update settings and scan every loving changelog for a few weeks to make sure that my settings wouldn't be overwritten. When I'm just as worried about system updates as I am about malware, no amount of "friendly" pop ups will make your product sound more appealing. Then, after the mandatory change from 8.1 to 10, Microsoft announced their joint initiative between their Win10 and Xbone divisions (the Xbone is also some of the worst marketing I can think of) that released broken, unchangeable, downgraded versions of console games onto PC's with very little to show for it and then declared it the direction they want to take their entire business in. It feels like Steve Ballmer never even left...

cyberia posted:

It sounds like you should all ditch the Windows computers you have and get a Mac since they have both a superior OS and user experience.

:supaburn:TRIGGERED:supaburn:
El Capitan is just as bad as Windows 8.0. Apple's only selling points are their products' simplicity and that their hardware is supposed to be "1 manufacturer, 1 developer, no PC/Android compatibility problems". El Capitan makes it so your default browser can consistently crash your entire computer by simply visiting Facebook, makes Adobe CC programs crash your entire computer thanks to a failed CPU optimization scheme designed for Adobe products that eats memory instead, or, my favorite, fry the hardware of certain Macbook users who work with After Effects and leave Safari open while working

lovely OS updates notwithstanding, my biggest gripes about Macs in general is how annoying they made finding anything important on the computer.
"My browser keeps crashing my computer and my cooling fans are as loud as my speakers can get when I try to render anything, how do I view my CPU utilization? Oh, it's in Apps>Utilities>Activity Monitor? Of course it's in the thing that sounds like the fitness tracking shovelware that came installed on my iPod Nano, why would it be under Finder like the rest of the hardware information for the entire computer?"
"How do I find the folder that has the pictures I just pulled off of my camera. Oh, there is no accessible folder and I have to use the menus in the Photos App instead of just dragging and dropping them into my external HD. Duh!"
"Backing up a hard drive, please, this baby has a Flux Capacitor. That's why I use the Time Machine App to go back to a previous time in my computer's history."
What kind of chud designed this stuff, it's not simple and it's not intuitive, so doesn't that fly in the face of their whole design philosophy that's supposed to make them fundamentally different from Windows? Now the only substantial differences are the number of buttons on the trackpad and how overtly hostile they are to their userbase

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also was very pleased to see Microsoft finally gave me seperate options for "shut down" or "shut down and update"

Sometimes you need to restart your computer real fast, and you don't have time for a 20 minute update! But Windows often doesn't even give you the loving option. I was so happy I even tweeted at Microsoft how happy I was they finally fixed the stupid system.

Then today I get another update, and what do you loving know? I'm right back to my only options being "Shut down and update" or "restart and update" and even on an SSD the update takes over 15 minutes.

Guess that was an un-intended feature :argh:
The real question is, why does Windows still need to restart to install updates? My main computer runs Linux Mint. I can update programs that are currently running without disrupting anything. All updates come through one central system regardless of whether they're for the OS or some other program, and you never need to restart. How has this technology eluded Microsoft for so long?

zedprime posted:

10 then gets an extra bad rap because people instantly recoil from Cortana and mash hide even though the correct answer is to turn off the dumb Cortana features and use it as the new search bar.
I've been using Windows 10 on my laptop since it came out, and I don't think I've ever seen Cortana. I don't know what it is or why people dislike it, but it hasn't impacted on my ability to use my computer in any way. :shrug:

Choco1980 posted:

and there was not a single person I ever heard say they liked any of the changes. At all.
I like Win10 much better than 7 or Vista. I like Win8 better than 7 and Vista. I like the start screen, it's much better than the start menu was.

cyberia posted:

I would recommend Linux Mint to literally everyone. It's basically foolproof if you just want to do simple things, and if you want to do more complicated stuff it's not difficult, you just have to Google it. It even runs old DOS and Windows programs better than Windows does.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

Use Vista or 8.0 for an hour and then tell me how the version doesn't matter. Also, Windows 10 is always awful marketing stuff. Always.
From the beginning I had to block my computer's repeated threats to automatically upgrade my OS for this new one that was cooking GPU's at the time. Then it gave me a deadline to willingly upgrade, an ultimatum, so I had to change my system update settings and scan every loving changelog for a few weeks to make sure that my settings wouldn't be overwritten. When I'm just as worried about system updates as I am about malware, no amount of "friendly" pop ups will make your product sound more appealing. Then, after the mandatory change from 8.1 to 10, Microsoft announced their joint initiative between their Win10 and Xbone divisions (the Xbone is also some of the worst marketing I can think of) that released broken, unchangeable, downgraded versions of console games onto PC's with very little to show for it and then declared it the direction they want to take their entire business in. It feels like Steve Ballmer never even left...

El Capitan is just as bad as Windows 8.0. Apple's only selling points are their products' simplicity and that their hardware is supposed to be "1 manufacturer, 1 developer, no PC/Android compatibility problems". El Capitan makes it so your default browser can consistently crash your entire computer by simply visiting Facebook, makes Adobe CC programs crash your entire computer thanks to a failed CPU optimization scheme designed for Adobe products that eats memory instead, or, my favorite, fry the hardware of certain Macbook users who work with After Effects and leave Safari open while working

lovely OS updates notwithstanding, my biggest gripes about Macs in general is how annoying they made finding anything important on the computer.
"My browser keeps crashing my computer and my cooling fans are as loud as my speakers can get when I try to render anything, how do I view my CPU utilization? Oh, it's in Apps>Utilities>Activity Monitor? Of course it's in the thing that sounds like the fitness tracking shovelware that came installed on my iPod Nano, why would it be under Finder like the rest of the hardware information for the entire computer?"
"How do I find the folder that has the pictures I just pulled off of my camera. Oh, there is no accessible folder and I have to use the menus in the Photos App instead of just dragging and dropping them into my external HD. Duh!"
"Backing up a hard drive, please, this baby has a Flux Capacitor. That's why I use the Time Machine App to go back to a previous time in my computer's history."
What kind of chud designed this stuff, it's not simple and it's not intuitive, so doesn't that fly in the face of their whole design philosophy that's supposed to make them fundamentally different from Windows? Now the only substantial differences are the number of buttons on the trackpad and how overtly hostile they are to their userbase

All I gleaned from this post is you are nowhere near as skilled with computers as you think you are.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

carry on then posted:

All I gleaned from this post is you are nowhere near as skilled with computers as you think you are.

A guy who thinks that spending five minutes once or twice a year dealing with an update is such an insurmountable hassle that they build their entire personality around sticking with the old computer that doesn't update anymore because it's old and abandoned definitely sounds like a person who knows a lot about computers and is smart and cool.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

You and people like you are the reason that developers lose sleep fighting unreproducible bugs.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The Door Frame posted:

El Capitan is just as bad as Windows 8.0. Apple's only selling points are their products' simplicity and that their hardware is supposed to be "1 manufacturer, 1 developer, no PC/Android compatibility problems". El Capitan makes it so your default browser can consistently crash your entire computer by simply visiting Facebook, makes Adobe CC programs crash your entire computer thanks to a failed CPU optimization scheme designed for Adobe products that eats memory instead, or, my favorite, fry the hardware of certain Macbook users who work with After Effects and leave Safari open while working.

Why the hell are you using Safari in the first place? Like IE on a Windows computer, the only time you should use Safari is to download a superior browser.

carry on then posted:

Also this, lol. I've been using a Macbook for the last decade and have never had any of the issues you're talking about.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Safari has many benefits on Macs. The main thing being that you get an extra 3-4 hours of battery life. Chrome is a bloated mess on Macs even if you disable Flash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chrome was a pretty cool browser for like six months before everyone else caught up to it in JS performance.

It’s been coasting on that reputation ever since.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, reading you guys argue about who has the largest shitpile really makes me seriously wonder why ChromeOS isn't taking off.

Aside from the fact that megacorps are able to access literally all of your info.

Even though anybody who actually cares about that should be using a Linux distro anyways.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

carry on then posted:

There's a strong chance that I am usually just following other people's how-to's, but you have to remember about this time last year when Win10 was destroying AMD, Nvidia, and Intel GPU's. Or when Win10 was installed piecemeal onto people's computers without permission and then activated without prompting? Or Tomb Raider and Quantum Break's awful Win10 versions and almost immediate Steam releases/loss of Win10 support? That doesn't even include the data collection that you have to opt out of or the built in advertisements in basically everything, including solitaire. They never once made a compelling argument to upgrade other than, "we will do it for you if you don't do it on your own."

cyberia posted:

Why the hell are you using Safari in the first place? Like IE on a Windows computer, the only time you should use Safari is to download a superior browser.

Not my computer, thankfully, I was recently trying to help someone figure out why their Macbook kept crashing every hour, why the cooling fans wouldn't turn off when using AE, and why using any system tool would freeze the computer if AE or Safari was open. In the process of using a Mac for the first time since 2001, I burned my leg because the CPU got so hot while infinitely trying to load embeded videos on Facebook and using ~40% of the available RAM per video, even after Safari was closed. Go Apple devs!

And Metal is OSX GPU optimization that Adobe tells you to delete because with certain hardware, it will consistently crash your computer, not CPU optimization, my bad

Adobe posted:

This new problem with 10.11.6 is a different bug with the same result, a GPU kernel panic. It appears to be limited to certain combinations of Nvidia GPU's and Mac hardware. (We have seen the problem on a range of GPU's, but all cases we have seen so far are on Mac Pro 5,1 towers. We also have 5,1's with Nvidia GPU's that do not experience the problem.)

We are planning to release an update soon that will, once again, disable Metal for all Nvidia GPU's on all Mac hardware. You will still be able to use GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro and After Effects, utilizing CUDA (Premiere Pro only) or OpenCL, as is currently available on 10.11.5. We are working with Nvidia to resolve the problem for a future release.

Until the update that disables Metal for Nvidia GPU's is available, there are a couple of different ways that you can work around this.

The other workaround is to remove the Metal folder from the After Effects or Premiere Pro or AME application package, as described earlier in this thread.

Our apologies about the bug.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

Since 7 there has been a trend to just make the interface exist because it has to with the expectation that power users are using search to get deep into the control panel, start menu, or documents without having to deal with the clusterfuck that has become modern GUI hierarchy. 10 then gets an extra bad rap because people instantly recoil from Cortana and mash hide even though the correct answer is to turn off the dumb Cortana features and use it as the new search bar.

I use search a lot now because I almost have to, but in most cases I would have been able to accomplish the same thing in Win 7 with a few mouse clicks in roughly the same time. I'd much prefer the latter.

Nitrox posted:

I keep installing Win7 on all our family's poo poo. Havn't seen nor heard a compelling argument for Win10. Like, at all.

A compelling argument would be that they're going to drop support for 7 sooner or later.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Not my computer, thankfully, I was recently trying to help someone figure out why their Macbook kept crashing every hour, why the cooling fans wouldn't turn off when using AE, and why using any system tool would freeze the computer if AE or Safari was open. In the process of using a Mac for the first time since 2001, I burned my leg because the CPU got so hot while infinitely trying to load embeded videos on Facebook and using ~40% of the available RAM per video, even after Safari was closed. Go Apple devs!

Here's why the macbook kept crashing every hour: It's loving broken, not because it's a macbook

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

Here's why the macbook kept crashing every hour: It's loving broken, not because it's a macbook

No, it was 10.11.6 and Apple not playing nice with flash. It's been fine ever since I fixed the Flash plug-in settings and deleted all of the Metal folders.

Google 10.11.6 and basically any common program and you'll find a laundry list of crashes
https://eclecticlight.co/2016/07/23/known-bugs-in-el-capitan-10-11-6-an-incomplete-summary/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you need to use Flash then yeah it's a bag of hurt

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

the built in advertisements in basically everything

Where do these ads appear? I haven't seen any.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure, I haven't seen many ads at all. I turned off those stupid charms and tablet style start menu. I don't even bother with the start menu anymore because I know where most of my stuff is. 7 was better, but 10 ain't so bad.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Everywhere Microsoft can think to put them, unless you manually opt out.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039827/windows/7-ways-windows-10-pushes-ads-at-you-and-how-to-stop-them.html
http://www.geek.com/microsoft/microsoft-to-double-number-of-ads-on-windows-10-start-menu-1655147/
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3101947/microsoft-windows/more-forced-advertising-creeps-into-windows-10-pro.html
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off/

quote:

A few weeks ago, I published a script to help remove the in-box apps from a Windows 10 image. Some people have reported after running this script they are still seeing apps on the machine, things like Candy Crush, Twitter, and similar apps (which can vary based on your location). So why is this happening? It’s a feature.

Is it safe to assume you did the full manual setup of Win10?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3095284/windows/windows-10-upgrade-dont-use-express-settings-if-you-value-your-privacy.html

According to the owners of this creepy tracking script with 16bn combined page views this month, the adoption of Windows 10 has already peaked. I would advise not visiting without aggressive adblock since it says it's based off of a tracking script right in the fist answer of their FAQ. Though they claim to not do anything malicious, I'm always skeptical about data aggregators
http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-na-monthly-201509-201609

E: to put the nail in the coffin of anti-adblock arguments, their script is primarily in search engine ads and ads on social media adjacents. Block all of the random pieces of code being flung at you, or don't, we get more accurate data if you just let them track your every move

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Oct 1, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I'm not sure, I haven't seen many ads at all. I turned off those stupid charms and tablet style start menu. I don't even bother with the start menu anymore because I know where most of my stuff is. 7 was better, but 10 ain't so bad.

People actually do something else besides "Press windows button, write the first few letters of the thing you looking for, press enter" to find things?

The Door Frame posted:

Everywhere Microsoft can think to put them, unless you manually opt out.

Opting out takes like a minute.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Oct 1, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

People actually do something else besides "Press windows button, write the first few letters of the thing you looking for, press enter" to find things?
I have icons for everything I use on my Start screen. :shrug:

Andrast posted:

Opting out takes like a minute.
Yeah, I guess I must have done it but apparently it was so quick and easy that I don't remember it at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Andrast posted:

With an indexing system as hit and miss as the Windows 10 one i'm often forced to go hunting through the start menu

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Hilariously in Windows 10 Anniversary update (v. 1607, the fat patch that takes like an hour to install), Microsoft continues to declare war on themselves. Notably, Internet Explorer no longer registers as version 11 (current) to certain websites, such as grandma-favorite Yahoo. In practice, this means that grams tries to check her Yahoo mail for pictures of cats, babies, or quilts, only to be met with a giant message from Yahoo berating her for being in compatibility mode, and refusing to allow access to the full-feature mailbox.

Simultaneously, the update allows extensions in Edge because it wasn't already riddled with security holes (No protection software I know of checks %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge\AC\Microsoft Edge\Users\Default\Recovery\Active, which while short and easy to remember is where session/automatic recovery files are stored, and in which most Edge pop-overs/hijacks hide). BUT NOW YOU CAN PUT ADBLOCK IN IT'S A BIG BOY RIGHT

Also it has hard hosed Quickbooks 2010 and 2011. Deletes company files during the update in some cases, and renders the program unlaunchable.

Man there was part of me that was all "y'know 10 is shaping up to be pretty solid" and then the anniversary update came out

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
holy gently caress this thread got lame fast

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
DUMB MOVE IN MARKETING: AND NOW WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WINDOWS WHEEEE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It sucks that the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in years.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I went to see a movie yesterday and I arrived way ahead of time. Before the 10 minutes of trailers was this thing. Now I didn't have the luxury of seeing a title so I spent 5 minutes wondering: what the hell is this an ad for?! A car, leather bags, wine, clothes, lingerie, a camera, Durex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3vyWnzkAI

Never before have I wished that the advertising was in my face. TV has broken me, I don't want your subtle poo poo, Mini :qq:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

here's a dumb move in marketing: every Chevrolet ad I see makes me want GM to go out of business

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mierenneuker posted:

I went to see a movie yesterday and I arrived way ahead of time. Before the 10 minutes of trailers was this thing. Now I didn't have the luxury of seeing a title so I spent 5 minutes wondering: what the hell is this an ad for?! A car, leather bags, wine, clothes, lingerie, a camera, Durex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu3vyWnzkAI

Never before have I wished that the advertising was in my face. TV has broken me, I don't want your subtle poo poo, Mini :qq:

I couldn't watch it past 90 seconds. I guess it's supposed to build suspense, but no, it didn't.

Phlegmish posted:

A compelling argument would be that they're going to drop support for 7 sooner or later.
It'll be a compelling argument then, not now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Basically it's painfully obvious that Windows and Mac realized like 10-15 years ago that they have a duel-monopoly akin to the US political system. Yeah, there's a third option if you are someone willing to put the time and effort and knowledge into getting it to work that its supporters always tell everyone is worth it, and not as hard as it looks to learn (spoilers: it is) but for the regular user who has little to no choice in the matter, it's Windows or Mac pretty much ruling the world, and you have to pick one or the other, regardless of how turdy the two give and stop caring about making good products.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

God, what happened to my favorite mostly non tech related thread? gently caress you all, this is worse than loot crate derails

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Oct 1, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am here to beg you, not as a mod but as your fellow poster, to please stop talking about your OS POS.

I have no content to contribute but I tried really hard to find some :saddowns:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I got a request. I remember there was a video of a showcase that was advertising a phone? and there was these kids that are all "IM A GAMER. I"M AN ENTREPRENEUR" and it was really cringey. I just got this faint memory and I need to remember what it was.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
That would be Qualcomm, at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

It's so beautiful. :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

gently caress you all, this is worse than loot crate derails

:getin:

Sriracha: Officially Worse Than Bacon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz