Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

Are we sure it's not just some Chinese tiny town?

Crashing is half the fun! :keke:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

He's literally an irl shitposter as an analyst for a "boutique" fund aka no one invests in it lmao

He's probably just like that Zero Hedge weirdo who got disbarred for finance sector fraud.

But but I use lingo overkill so it means people will be believe my crazy arguments.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's actually long Canadian tech companies so I think even zerohedge is not crazy enough for him.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
He lives in Alberta and probably thinks that Rachel Notley is a communist hell-bent on destroying the province.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Gennifer Flowers posted:

He's actually long Canadian tech companies so I think even zerohedge is not crazy enough for him.

BlackBerry is coming back any day now. Software!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Reminder: Strata councils are little tin pot dictatorships

quote:

Strata crackdown locks out Airbnb guest
Airbnb customer's fob stops working during his stay because building doesn't allow short-term rentals

When Kyle MacDonald and his fiancée booked a five-night stay at a luxurious two-bedroom downtown suite through Airbnb, they didn't expect to be caught in the crossfire between the owner and the building's strata.

On their fourth day, the couple's key fob stopped working, and they were locked out of the building.

"Suddenly, we have no access to the unit that we are renting. Our passports are in there, our digital camera, laptop, clothes. We're basically completely out of luck with no solution," he said.

MacDonald called the Airbnb host, who quickly responded and warned him not speak to the concierge, because it will "get them in big trouble." Instead, he was told to stand by while someone came by with a second key fob.

Text message exchange between Airbnb host and guest
After MacDonald was locked out, he reached out to the Airbnb host and was warned not to contact the concierge. (Submitted)

The second key fob didn't work either.

MacDonald called FirstService Residential, the property management company, to explain the situation and ask for help but was told they had essentially blocked the owner's access to the building.

"The person I spoke with from FirstService Residential proceeded to tell me that that this owner has been warned in the past for having short-term Airbnb rentals and that it is against the bylaws, he can't be doing it and that is why they blocked his access to the unit," said MacDonald.

I am pretty sure that strata councils have absolutely zero legal powers to lock people out of private property but the whole strata council concept is so broken that I'm sure nothing will happen and other strata councils will start doing this.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That's a good outcome actually. gently caress Airbnb.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Femtosecond posted:

I am pretty sure that strata councils have absolutely zero legal powers to lock people out of private property but the whole strata council concept is so broken that I'm sure nothing will happen and other strata councils will start doing this.

Why wouldn't they?

No anti-lockout provisions in tenant laws would apply because AirBnB "guests" aren't legally tenants.

No protections which may be present in laws regulating hotels would apply because AirBnB units aren't legally hotels.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Heh disrupting the normal... model... and... hey... HEY! WHAT THE gently caress?!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Femtosecond posted:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Why wouldn't they?

No anti-lockout provisions in tenant laws would apply because AirBnB "guests" aren't legally tenants.

No protections which may be present in laws regulating hotels would apply because AirBnB units aren't legally hotels.

Yeah but if you read the article they also disabled the key fob belonging to the actual owner, not just the "guests", so he was incapable of getting into the building.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

HookShot posted:

Yeah but if you read the article they also disabled the key fob belonging to the actual owner, not just the "guests", so he was incapable of getting into the building.

The owner can sue but really the owner wasn't living there to begin with and knew that they were violating strata rules so are we supposed to feel sorry here?

:qq: I feel so bad for this dipshit.

Also great job blurring that poo poo out, CBC.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 2, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-bubble.html

You did it Vancouver. Even the daily mail is now reporting on this loving re market. Best place on earth

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The guy breaking strata bylaws is an idiot, but stratas shouldn't (and aren't as far as I'm aware) allowed to literally prevent a guy access to his property.

They're allowed to fine him, just send a $100 bill every night he has a tenant stay over.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Who gives a poo poo? He's probably making $250 a night off them lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Reminder condos combine the shittiness of apartment living with the pains of home ownership

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

HookShot posted:

The guy breaking strata bylaws is an idiot, but stratas shouldn't (and aren't as far as I'm aware) allowed to literally prevent a guy access to his property.

They're allowed to fine him, just send a $100 bill every night he has a tenant stay over.

Fairly certain that strata law in BC allows for restriction to common areas and other strata property if the owner of the suite is in violation of specific by-laws. In this case, no hardship was ever given to the owner because they never occupied the suite to begin with.

So again. :qq:

If he wants to challenge this, maybe instead of being a complete shithead over SMS he can sue his strata council, sell his unit, actually do what you're supposed to do with the place and live in it (too radical I know), or stop contributing to the rental vacancy problem that affects the city.

:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 2, 2016

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Why wouldn't they?

Well there are a number of scenarios where an owner could reasonably give keyfobs to persons that aren't tenants, for example a friend who is staying over for a few days and taking care of a pet.

IANAL but arbitrarily locking out keyfobs seems like a huge overreach into limiting private property rights. I'd be pretty surprised if this was allowed.

From my understanding strata corporations have the power to levy fines and that's pretty much it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Giving the worst people the most power

Which Canada thread am I in again? I'm lost, I own a home though...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you read it they didn't deny the owner access. His brother was unable to get in but again, not a legal tenant/owner/spouse-of-owner of the unit so why should they give him the time of day?

They disabled all the fobs because he had clearly been sharing them which is extremely likely to be against the bylaws. I'm sure when the owner actually does show up they will reissue a fob to him.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Fairly certain that strata law in BC allows for restriction to common areas and other strata property if the owner of the suite is in violation of specific by-laws. In this case, no hardship was ever given to the owner because they never occupied the suite to begin with.

Stratas can only restrict access to recreational facilities (eg. weight room).

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

If you read it they didn't deny the owner access. His brother was unable to get in but again, not a legal tenant/owner/spouse-of-owner of the unit so why should they give him the time of day?

They disabled all the fobs because he had clearly been sharing them which is extremely likely to be against the bylaws. I'm sure when the owner actually does show up they will reissue a fob to him.

If the strata was in the right in doing this then that means they have control over who has access to your property, and they can override your wishes. That would be surprising to me.

Basically I'm asserting that you can share your fobs with whoever you like and the strata can't do anything about that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

Basically I'm asserting that you can share your fobs with whoever you like and the strata can't do anything about that.

:wrong:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd be shocked if condos could use self help like that. I skimmed the British Columbia tenant guidelines and it looks pretty clear that the airbnb host can go crucify the condo board in court for disabling his access. The novel thing is that it's an electronic lockout rather than actually changing locks, so the ease of locking him out is probably why this all went down.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Strata rules are very clear about keyfob guidelines and deactivations. There's a point to be made about stratas maybe having too much power, but you picked the one situation where nearly everyone can agree that a strata has exactly the right amount of power and actually exercised it to the benefit of all the people living there. I'm not sorry that guy got burned when he rented an illegal suite.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

THC posted:

Strata rules are very clear about keyfob guidelines and deactivations. There's a point to be made about stratas maybe having too much power, but you picked the one situation where nearly everyone can agree that a strata has exactly the right amount of power and actually exercised it to the benefit of all the people living there. I'm not sorry that guy got burned when he rented an illegal suite.

But you see this should not happen because the owner should have a right to contribute to rental vacancy rates being so loving lovely.

:goonsay:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Airbnb rentals are pretty horrible.

Also lolling at the idiot he didn't realize that part of being in a condo means piles of rules.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Femtosecond posted:

If the strata was in the right in doing this then that means they have control over who has access to your property, and they can override your wishes. That would be surprising to me.

Jesus you're so concerned about this you're double-posting. I get now why you are a supply sider - you must have significant investments in / are an employee of airbnb. It makes all your prior derp in this thread make sense.

And yes strata have perfect right to restrict entrance into the building to anyone they and the owners are not affliated with, and airbnb is not affliation being an illegal enterprise (though maybe not the room. But from the sound of it rooms are entered by first entering the building)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Myriarch posted:

And yes strata have perfect right to restrict entrance into the building to anyone they and the owners are not affliated with,

They restricted the access of the owner.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Myriarch posted:

Jesus you're so concerned about this you're double-posting. I get now why you are a supply sider - you must have significant investments in / are an employee of airbnb. It makes all your prior derp in this thread make sense.

And yes strata have perfect right to restrict entrance into the building to anyone they and the owners are not affliated with, and airbnb is not affliation being an illegal enterprise (though maybe not the room. But from the sound of it rooms are entered by first entering the building)

I'm opposed to Airbnb in condos. I posted this because I thought it was a weird example of a strata council being stupid, as they often are. It seemed to me that this was pretty far offside what stratas are generally allowed to do to enforce bylaws (which is essentially just fines).

I feel like there's a difference between strata managing and disabling fobs for independent 3rd parties like tradesmen and persons an owner invites onto the property. Maybe there isn't.

Anyway this seems somewhat unprecedented so maybe a tribunal or judge will eventually have to weigh in.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Knowing FirstService Residential, they are careful with that kind of power.

And yes, the strata can lock you out if they find that you are permitting access on a regular basis to visitors not under your supervision.

But a fine of $150 a night (I think the max fine they can levy is $50 or $150, I can't quite remember) sounds pretty good too!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We would have to see the bylaws and rules to be sure but there is most likely a provision for deactivating and replacing a fob if it is lost, stolen, or lent to someone who should not have access. There is also probably an emergency access procedure in the case a fob is misplaced or the system malfunctions.

Had the actual owner (not their brother) shown up and been denied access to their unit my opinion would swing strongly into the "strata being shits" region.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Nice to see a strata use common sense to deal with this. I live in a suburb of Vancouver so Air BnB isn't a feasible way to cover your rent. A coworkers father-in-law owns a building with8 units in China town. The rents under a grand a month and one of his tenants decided she can sublet her unit on Airbnb to pay her rent and make extra cash. The poor old guy has had to travel back and forth to the tenancy board or wherever to get the girl out. No luck yet, he gave up changing the lock and now the door to the unit doesn't even close.

Being in a strata is annoying but you bought there and agreed to abide by the rules. About a year ago there was a hooker in our lobby who refused to leave the building because some old bastard in my building had her follow him home after screwing him and then didn't pay her. So she settled in for the day while he hid where ever he lived in the building. If we used a fob system I'd be glad if they cut his off for letting strangers in the building.Not really the same thing but I'm sick of people thinking they get one over on everyone by ignoring strata rules. Take the guy in Coquitlam (another suburb of Vancouver) that decided the guest parking was his and kept his car and junk in the stall for a couple years. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/port-coquitlam-couple-must-give-up-condo-over-parking-spot-1.2642860

Purgatory Glory fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 2, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I need to dig up the post I made about the strata council that was controlled by the property developers who built the complex, who were also running power leads from the complex to their building site next door.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jhwfung/status/782453505579560960?s=09

There was a ceremony at city Hall to commemorate the prc national day.

Fuckin looooooooooool

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

and just in case

http://vancouversun.com/news/national/lawyer-named-in-fraud-lawsuits

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver is colony of mainland china

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
What is unthinkable to do in China is demanded of other countries. Kowtowing to the PRC won't lead to better relations -the overlord/vassal mentality of Chinese politics will only lead to us being greater abused, since you can extort more from a loyal subject than a rebellious one.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/penultsquire/status/782660345936490496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

THC posted:

You can make whatever crazy-assed bylaws you want. It doesn't mean they're enforcable. Even the BC Condo Home Owner's Association thinks that denying access is a good way to get sued.

http://www.choa.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/pdf/300/300-657%2029102015%20Denying%20access%20to%20a%20building.pdf