Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mister Macys posted:

which one will become the "hangouts for enterprise" of google OSes? :haw:

which is allo/duo

android will become Google Legacy, chromeos will be Google for Education, andromeda will become Android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If andromeda means that google takes back the control over OS updates from the manufacturers I'm all for it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spankmeister posted:

If andromeda means that google takes back the control over OS updates from the manufacturers I'm all for it.

Haha

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

let me summarize it for you. google has decided that they want some of the big bucks that Apple and Samsung are getting from phone sales. they are relegating android to third party OEMs and making their own first class OS that they won't be sharing with others.

through the decades only two things remain constant in tech: oems always do a half-assed job and they always get hosed by the platform owner

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Lomarf OS

ufarn
May 30, 2009
so what's my fridge gonna run on three years from now

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

ufarn posted:

windows 10

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

electricity I imagine

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

ufarn posted:

the cheapest Linux available

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spankmeister posted:

does google still not support nexus phones after two years because that might be a bigger issue

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

they're supposedly introducing "andromeda" which is rumored to be a windows 10-styled fusion of android (andro) and chromeos (rome) which will replace android

but, knowing google, all three will continue as products simultaneously for the forseeable and unforseeable future

:chome: + :mome: = :chome::mome: :chome: :mome:

so what they're actually introducing is "chrome for android, but it's not arbitrarily crippled"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
goog has been working on unifying chromeos and android for a long time. but they know that the OEM model is a mess and they will never deliver a high end product and lead on features if they don't own the full stack from chip design to manufacturing. they want to be another apple, and are ramping up their resources to build a whole new phone line. or to put it another way, they want Samsung's market share.

android is not going away, it will still be around for poorphones.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

computer parts posted:

does google still not support nexus phones after two years because that might be a bigger issue

the processor in the 5 won't run nougat and the 6 which was released in Nov 2014 still doesn't have nougat either. heres the mod of iyg defending it

quote:

I have a hard time thinking its bad that the N6 doesn't have Nougat out yet. 

I mean...it's not ready, why would you want it be out already?

I think people are confused because Apple releases stuff for their devices all at once (right?). The problem with the comparison is that Apple holds their cards much closer to their chest and then when its ready for all devices releases it for everything. It's not like internally all their development for all their devices all magically reach the ready-to-release milestone all at the same time. 

It's the same situation with Google, but they just release it for each device as its ready.

By wishing for Nougat to be ready for everything all at once, you're in effect wishing for releases to come out slower.

Google is incompetent about a lot of things, but the N6 not having Nougat yet doesn't really have to be about incompetence.

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 1, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

goog has been working on unifying chromeos and android for a long time. but they know that the OEM model is a mess and they will never deliver a high end product and lead on features if they don't own the full stack from chip design to manufacturing. they want to be another apple, and are ramping up their resources to build a whole new phone line. or to put it another way, they want Samsung's market share.

chrome os isn't a real thing, it's just linux chrome running as the only user-accessible program

combining chrome os and android just means an improved chrome android app

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

computer parts posted:

i still get security updates on my nexus 5

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

chrome os isn't a real thing, it's just linux chrome running as the only user-accessible program

combining chrome os and android just means an improved chrome android app

a few years ago they were completely separate teams with separate code bases. today chromeos uses the android kernel and drivers and they are unifying the user-land (frameworks, daemons, security model, updates, etc). there is a lot more under the hood than just android app support.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

google's iphone is built by htc

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Blue Train posted:

the processor in the 5 won't run nougat

meanwhile there are a whole bunch of nougat roms for my nexus 4, the last good android phone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

a few years ago they were completely separate teams with separate code bases. today chromeos uses the android kernel and drivers and they are unifying the user-land (frameworks, daemons, security model, updates, etc). there is a lot more under the hood than just android app support.

so what you're saying is

they're just making a better chrome android application

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

computer parts posted:

officially, google has said they will issue major OS updates for nexuses for two years from launch and security updates for three

their policy for when specific devices will get an update is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I knew the new moto z was going to have pins for accessories or whatever but drat that's a lotta pins

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blue Train posted:

the processor in the 5 won't run nougat and the 6 which was released in Nov 2014 still doesn't have nougat either. heres the mod of iyg defending it

ios 10 runs on
iPhone 7 (2016)
iPhone 6S (2015)
iPhone 6 (2014)
iPhone 5S (2013)
iPhone 5 (2012)

nougat runs on like one device released by google.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

ios 10 runs on
iPhone 7 (2016)
iPhone 6S (2015)
iPhone 6 (2014)
iPhone 5S (2013)
iPhone 5 (2012)

nougat runs on like one device released by google.

ios 10 is hell garbage for idiots though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

google's iphone is built by htc

the nexus line was never a serious play for market share. the pixel line will be a mass-market device meant to ship in high volume to normal people (I.e. Samsung and Apple customers), not just xda nerds

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

the nexus line was never a serious play for market share. the pixel line will be a mass-market device meant to ship in high volume to normal people (I.e. Samsung and Apple customers), not just xda nerds

why would they use htc then? shouldn't they partner with someone used to making lots of things?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

why would they use htc then? shouldn't they partner with someone used to making lots of things?

yeah, like Lucky Goldstar

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

htc used to be a mass market vendor, in the recent past

currently htc is desperate and easily manipulated because they are very nearly bankrupt. sounds perfect for google's needs

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

assuming those needs don't include a phone people want to buy, going by htc sales figures

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blue Train posted:

assuming those needs don't include a phone people want to buy, going by htc sales figures

to be fair this is every android vendor except samsung. samsung is the only ihv definitely making money in the android market

google is probably not gonna convince samsung to make a google-branded samsung-killer to steal their own market share

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fishmech posted:

ios 10 is hell garbage for idiots though

this is how you know it's good

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair this is every android vendor except samsung. samsung is the only ihv definitely making money in the android market

google is probably not gonna convince samsung to make a google-branded samsung-killer to steal their own market share

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273697/market-share-held-by-the-leading-smartphone-manufacturers-oem-in-the-us/ lol

should have gone with lg again I guess

poty
Jun 21, 2008

cool paywalled statistic

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the graph showed up for free for me :shrug:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

poty posted:

cool paywalled statistic

*ian smashes through wall*

DID SOMEBODY SAY STATISTICS?!?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what thread is this even

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what thread is this even

google thread

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I knew the new moto z was going to have pins for accessories or whatever but drat that's a lotta pins

not enough until the entire back is pogo pins imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what thread is this even

g suite

geez wheat

g spot

g unit

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i hope someone can stop google before they set up the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

poty posted:

i hope someone can stop google before they set up the

**sirens** stop citizen, it's the g.police! **rolls down window** do you know how bad you've been posting? we need to search your computer.

• Locked thread