Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ShineDog posted:

The petulant little fucker is a creepy emotionally abusive rear end in a top hat to pad me from the word go in ep2 onwards. She kind of bloops into love with him out of nowhere despite never having a shred of chemistry together and actively appearing creeper out by him at a number of points.

Now that's either the usual horrible romance writing or anakin is a mind trick rapist, but I really struggle to find either option making for a compelling character in a pulpy space adventure whether he's a noble character who falls from grace or a massive poo poo from the beginning.

The thing your missing is that Padme is kind of hosed up, herself. She falls for Anakin because she views him as a problem she can fix. Just like she thinks she can resolve the issues between the Republic and the Separatists by merely advocating pacifism loud enough, and how she now earlier thought she could help the poor of Tatooine by being kind to them, she thinks she can make Anakin a better and stronger person if she just loves him enough.

The more emotionally damaged the poor little slave boy Anakin becomes the more it tugs at her heartstrings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Schwarzwald posted:

The thing your missing is that Padme is kind of hosed up, herself.

Any doubt that Padme is hosed up is eliminated when you see her response to Anakin's confession about the sand people. He's just told her he committed mass murder, even of women and children, and he's not the least bit sorry for it. Does she slowly back away from him? Tell him he needs help when they get back to Coruscant? No, she comes closer to ripping her panties off than either of those two options.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think everyone goes commando in space actually.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

In Return of the Jedi (which is part of the original trilogy) Luke actively disobey's Yoda wishes, and through this disobedience, defeats the Empire.

What were his wishes in RotJ? Dude was dying.

"Luke, in a blanket, cover me"

"No" *defeats the Empire*

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Any doubt that Padme is hosed up is eliminated when you see her response to Anakin's confession about the sand people. He's just told her he committed mass murder, even of women and children, and he's not the least bit sorry for it. Does she slowly back away from him? Tell him he needs help when they get back to Coruscant? No, she comes closer to ripping her panties off than either of those two options.

What's amazing is that in real life, this kind of response is actually pretty typical. She has sympathy for Anakin because she knows him and he's hurting, whereas all she knows of the Sand People is that they're a pack of feral killers. As long as the victims can be dehumanized enough, there's no problem.

Padmé is an uncommonly kind person, but she's limited by the same cognitive biases that none of us like to admit we have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Reminder: To someone who has been to Tatooine for a grand total of about 48 hours and has heard nothing but horror stories of "Tusken Raiders shooting at podracers" and "Sand People stole my wife and killed a bunch of other people", hearing that someone wiped out an encampment of them probably didn't carry the same weight as "I murdered a couple dozen sentient and sapient humanoids" really should.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

jivjov posted:

Reminder: To someone who has been to Tatooine for a grand total of about 48 hours and has heard nothing but horror stories of "Tusken Raiders shooting at podracers" and "Sand People stole my wife and killed a bunch of other people", hearing that someone wiped out an encampment of them probably didn't carry the same weight as "I murdered a couple dozen sentient and sapient humanoids" really should.

Would she not be clued in to that possibility by Anakin crying about it and making a point of saying he killed women and children while simultaneously assuring her he doesn't feel bad?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cnut the Great posted:

They weren't initially (I mean, using normal channels within the Republic, Obi-Wan can't even find out if Kamino exists or not), but TCW shows that after handing the army over to the Republic they were given a representative in the Senate.

Her name is Halle Burtoni:

Yet another lethal burn on the Bush administration....I guess?

It does look like Dick Cheney!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

Yoda acts completely unlike a Jedi at the end of ROTs. Why would you think exile and contemplation is a Jedi trait after the three prequel movies ?

There's an episode of Clone Wars, early on, where Yoda and a few troopers take on a droid army. It's probably the best depiction of Yoda outside of ESB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-fkESkmvu0

Now, that said, Yoda should be slow-moving and slow-acting, and very thoughtful. Unless he's stealing snacks from a robot, I guess.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

They weren't initially (I mean, using normal channels within the Republic, Obi-Wan can't even find out if Kamino exists or not), but TCW shows that after handing the army over to the Republic they were given a representative in the Senate.

Her name is Halle Burtoni:

Yet another lethal burn on the Bush administration....I guess?

Yo man like Haliburton?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Electromax posted:

I think everyone goes commando in space actually.

According to Carrie Fisher, this is G-Level Canon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hot Toys giving us better look at Rogue One's shoretroopers' footwear.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm guessing they're some sort of amphibious commando, but "shoretrooper" sounds like they should be in some casual beachwear.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They're wearing blundstones? What.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blundstone_Footwear

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Stormtrooper's feet.

Storm-trooper's feet.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Well if you don't want them coming back to the Death Star with a cold, you've gotta provide adequate footwear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Stormtrooper's feet.

Storm-trooper's feet.

:allears:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

putting the "fash" back in "fashionable"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

In Return of the Jedi (which is part of the original trilogy) Luke actively disobey's Yoda wishes, and through this disobedience, defeats the Empire.

Yoda is a poor role model. He is an excellent teacher in regards to the ways of the force, but his moral failings cause him to push Luke toward the wrong path.

This is entirely within the context of the original films.

Yoda is actually a very good role model. He teaches Luke all he needs to know and then lets Luke make the decisions instead of pushing him too hard in one direction or the other. Yoda's a Zen master. He teaches through contradiction. And as has been pointed out many, many times, he never tells Luke he has to kill Vader. For that matter, neither does Obi-Wan. At the very most, Obi-Wan wants Luke to be prepared to kill Vader.

The choice not to kill Vader would have been meaningless if Luke had never possessed the capacity to do so in the first place--which is in fact why Luke only experiences the epiphany he needs to triumph over the Emperor after he gives in to his passions and experiences a willingness to kill Vader. Before that point, Luke had been completely unwilling to kill Vader under any circumstances, and it accomplished nothing but giving the Emperor another tool to use against him.

That's because Luke wasn't making a principled choice to spare a man who deserved to die--he was still just desperately grasping for the Good Father he'd been aching for his entire life, just as he'd been doing for the past two films to no avail. He succeeds when he stops childishly yearning for an idealized father who never really existed and instead comes into his own as a man.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Just like she thinks she can resolve the issues between the Republic and the Separatists by merely advocating pacifism loud enough, and how she now earlier thought she could help the poor of Tatooine by being kind to them, she thinks she can make Anakin a better and stronger person if she just loves him enough.

Not really. Thinking that the Republic and the Separatists could solve their issues through negotiation and communication was a good thing. War is all about the breakdown of rationality and giving into base passions. Her giving into her passion, falling in love with Anakin, and pursuing a relationship with him against all reason is an analogue to her becoming entangled in the Clone War and deciding to forsake peaceful negotiations for "aggressive negotiations."

This is one of my favorite character shots of the movie, because of how it effectively communicates the shift in Padme's character--her face framed by huge phallic weapons, a lock of her usually-carefully-styled hair knocked loose and hanging down to the side, the devilish look of mischief on her face:

And this next shot too, similar to the previous one, but also showing how totally in sync she and Anakin now are:

Just like the war, her declaring her love to Anakin is something that happens in a desperate moment as a vain attempt to ward off fears about insecurity and death. Her white clothing during the Geonosis arena battle is a harbinger of the white wedding dress she wears at the end of the movie. Both outfits match the white of clone troopers' armor. It's a clear departure from her wardrobe during the rest of the movie, which is all blues and yellows (except for the fireplace scene at the midpoint of the movie during which several references are made to the future Darth Vader, and in which Padme wears a seductive black leather outfit with a choker around her neck).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Attack of the clones is really the heart of the whole series. It's amazing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I'm sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's my favorite SW movie so whatever. It's just so entertaining and interesting and beautiful.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I'm sorry

O noooo not teh rotten tomatoes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

I'm sorry

I don't think there is anyone here that is unaware that the movies have a very mixed popular reception.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think there is anyone here that is unaware that the movies have a very mixed popular reception.

Honestly, if all you did was read about these movies on the internet you'd think they scored like 12%.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The release of Star Wars ignited a craze in Hollywood for science fantasy films. Imitators like Battle Beyond the Stars, as well as parodies like Spaceballs, riffed on the most evident thematic quality of that film: the uncomplicated and unexamined moral separation between the protagonists and antagonists. That idea became embedded in the public consciousness as the essence of "Star Wars," even while its sequels drifted away from them (a detectable recurring complaint in negative reviews of The Empire Strikes Back).

The prequels retain A New Hope's bombast, fantasticism, pop spiritualism, and general sense of derring-do, but to many they're unrecognizable as Star Wars because the driving conflict no longer consists of desperate individualistic underdogs against faceless space nazis. And of them, Attack of the Clones is the least like it, as its twist is that the Republic became the Empire willingly. For that reason it's been the one that Star Wars Fans have tended to like least. This is appropriate, as it's a movie significantly about people being deceived by their preconceptions.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

I'm sorry

You're right, how could AOTC ever top the #1 movie on the IMDB Top 250: The Shawshank Redemption, or critically acclaimed Oscar winner Crash (75%)? Do you realize the very thing you just cited says two people liked this movie for every one that hated it?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 1, 2016

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cnut the Great posted:

And as has been pointed out many, many times, he never tells Luke he has to kill Vader. For that matter, neither does Obi-Wan. At the very most, Obi-Wan wants Luke to be prepared to kill Vader.

quote:

Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.

Luke: I can't kill my own father.

Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won.

I know I said this before, but how can that not be interpreted as Obi-Wan wanting Luke to kill Vader? He tells him he has to "face" him, but Luke obviously thinks that means kill. He doesn't say, "I can't face my own father," or, "I can't defeat my own father." When Luke adds precision to Obi-Wan's vague "face," Obi-Wan doesn't correct him or give him other options. It's, "If you don't kill him, we're done."

From his point of view, there are no other options. Obi-Wan doesn't think Vader can be turned because he thinks that Anakin was "destroyed"; when Luke says there's still good in him, Obi-Wan dodges; "He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil." If he can't be turned and he doesn't want Luke to kill him, what does he want him to do when he "faces" him?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

George Lucas predicted the current political climate with the prequels.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

George Lucas predicted the current political climate with the prequels.

Or the current political climate have been that way for that long.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

It's my favorite SW movie so whatever. It's just so entertaining and interesting and beautiful.

It's my favorite too. I really liked it quite a bit when I saw it in the cinema as a teenager but I failed to appreciate a lot of the dry humor. Oddly enough I think reading and growing to love super-dry stuff like Jane Austen actually made me appreciate Lucas's sense of humor a lot more.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

From his point of view, there are no other options. Obi-Wan doesn't think Vader can be turned because he thinks that Anakin was "destroyed"; when Luke says there's still good in him, Obi-Wan dodges; "He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil." If he can't be turned and he doesn't want Luke to kill him, what does he want him to do when he "faces" him?

Haha wow that quote seems even more deceptive and manipulative when we consider Obi-Wan's casually racist attitude towards droids from the prequels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

That heart needs a bypass.

Attack of the Clones was the first time I realized Star Wars can be awful. My dad and I couldn't believe it. It made for a good running joke through out the years. He'd make fun of me for being Anakin when I whined about some dumb kid poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

That heart needs a bypass.

Attack of the Clones was the first time I realized Star Wars can be awful. My dad and I couldn't believe it. It made for a good running joke through out the years. He'd make fun of me for being Anakin when I whined about some dumb kid poo poo.

Your dad's awful and mine could beat him up for sure.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
AotC is for sure my favorite movie. I think my favorite part is when Jack uses the tennis racket to strain his spaghetti.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think AOTC gets a worse rap than normal because many goons grew up watching it on standard def DVDs and it just looks awful on that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
is it a bad sign that Rogue One news is so slow? There seems to be like no buzz about it like there was for TFA around this time. the trailers look so good tho

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

I think AOTC gets a worse rap than normal because many goons grew up watching it on standard def DVDs and it just looks awful on that.

AotC is the only Star Wars flick I didn't see in a theater. TPM was so bad I just gave up on Star Wars until RotS, which I figured I should see in a theater, because I figured that'd be the last one.

Parts of the film are good (Kenobi vs. Jango), but it's such a slog to get through.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rots also looks very good on blue ray hi def. lots of spectacular and gorgeous scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I was amazed by how much better the Endor speeder bike chase seemed on VHS and DVD than it did in high definition.

• Locked thread