Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It's not 7 minutes. I did it in like 2. So there, you have another response.

remusclaw posted:

On the matter of some of the questions. Is there a relatively affordable color printing option now days? I have this wonderful b&w brother laser printer that seems never to run out of toner, but color printing has always been the domain of really cheap and terrible inkjet printer's in this household.

Are you me posting from some other timeline?? I have the exact same brother printer that never runs dry (best fuckin printer I ever owned) and bad experiences with terrible color inkjets.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

remusclaw posted:

I have felt this pain myself. Good luck on the assignment.

On the matter of some of the questions. Is there a relatively affordable color printing option now days? I have this wonderful b&w brother laser printer that seems never to run out of toner, but color printing has always been the domain of really cheap and terrible inkjet printer's in this household.

I used to get nigh-unlimited BnW printing at my old university (something like 1000 pages a year) but color printing was something to the tune of 35 cents a page. My current university is even worse, with 50 cents to a page for color.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Trasson posted:

Hi chat thread, I normally only read you instead of posting.

So I have a favor to ask. I'm currently taking a class at my university. Specifically, it's "Business of Games", run by an entrepreneurship professor who also happens to be a giant nerd, so there's some nice cross discipline mixing there. Our assignment for this week was to come up with a survey for our game/company/service we're marketing and get people to take it (Well, okay, we did that last week and now we're to revise them and get more respondents but still!). I give this context because while it's for a business class, and yes it's a board game idea I have kicking around (basically my wife and I going "what if there was a JRPG version of BSG?"), it's not an actual marketing survey and I'm not trying to stealth market research you guys, I'm just looking for data for my class (i.e. this isn't for something I actually want to sell, it was just what I picked for the various class projects)..

Of course, my problem is that due to Various Things, I'm a bit behind schedule on this and I may have a slight deadline of like fourteen hours from now to get as many responses as I can. I'm not exactly going to claim excellent student on this one. So, if people could be awesome and take the survey, it shouldn't be more than seven minutes or so.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JWLNJCS

Also if you all hate me for this and I'm in trouble with the fuzz, my apologies. I'm going to cross post this in the Board Games thread for obvious reasons so Ettin, if you decide to probate me and edit this to a mocking message for my insolence, I can save you the trouble of having to look anywhere else; it'll only be those two threads.

If that doesn't happen and people do take the survey then I like you very much and thank you.

Quoted for the new page. So, uh, maybe it's just me but I [slightly dislike] the "agree" and "enjoy" responses being on opposite sides of the continuum, just feels wrong.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Jimbozig posted:

Are you me posting from some other timeline?? I have the exact same brother printer that never runs dry (best fuckin printer I ever owned) and bad experiences with terrible color inkjets.

Someone make an alternate timelines game about goons searching for the perfect printer. Throw in Office Space for spice. Add a college girl who ignores the goon once the printer is delivered. Stir.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Quoted for the new page. So, uh, maybe it's just me but I [slightly dislike] the "agree" and "enjoy" responses being on opposite sides of the continuum, just feels wrong.

No, it bugged me too. People tend to expect the 'yeah!' responses all to be on the same side (usually the right).

Also, I don't like print and play games at all but there was no option to say that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Re: Comics.

Another quality webcomic comic. In progress. Every panel is bursting with details and nuance of the world or it's characters.

Where the Heart Is by Arthur Asa.

http://www.wthi.one/comic/dusk/

http://regovrso.tumblr.com/post/149063019579/its-that-time-again-tumblr-im-currently-open

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 3, 2016

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

potatocubed posted:

No, it bugged me too. People tend to expect the 'yeah!' responses all to be on the same side (usually the right).

Also, I don't like print and play games at all but there was no option to say that.

Yeah, I might have had stuff get in the way of refining this as much as I wanted to. I do wish it was better but I was in full panic mode trying to come up with questions (good surveying is hard).

So I'm sitting at over 130 responses between you guys and BGG, and my professor had been saying we needed 30-60 at minimum, so thank you all a stupid large amount for making me look good for this class.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Felicity Petrichor

Appearance: I am a sassy scrivener. I smell really good - vetiver and
cinnamon. I’m wearing a velvet red corset with a black tulle train, a
high-waisted bolero jacket, knee-high monsterskin boots, a cocked
hat, and filigree tattoos in a long-dead language that flow along the
delicate curves of my slender limbs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

D&D Basic

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Suicide Girls dot Com?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In a kind of TG related thing, the second episode of Teen Titans Go! last night "Riding the Dragon" featured Robin as the groggest of grognard Rules Lawyers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
re. color printing - If you're talking about home use I think the best idea is still to get yourself a color laser printer. They are ridiculously expensive but they do last forever. I got a Color LaserJet 4600dn from the surplus sale at my local school district and despite it whining about low toner when I picked it up I've still gotten close to 1200 color pages out of it without even shaking the toner cartridges. The big problem I see is that all color lasers are really heavy, (mine is ~150 lbs, for reference) and almost all color toner is extremely expensive. Last I checked a new set of toners will be close to $300, but they should last me until the sun goes nova.

So yeah, if you need one for your home check a surplus sale. I got two color laser printers, extra toner cartridges for both, five projectors, a bunch of misc. office supplies, and a school desk with chair all for $20.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

re. color printing - If you're talking about home use I think the best idea is still to get yourself a color laser printer. They are ridiculously expensive but they do last forever. I got a Color LaserJet 4600dn from the surplus sale at my local school district and despite it whining about low toner when I picked it up I've still gotten close to 1200 color pages out of it without even shaking the toner cartridges. The big problem I see is that all color lasers are really heavy, (mine is ~150 lbs, for reference) and almost all color toner is extremely expensive. Last I checked a new set of toners will be close to $300, but they should last me until the sun goes nova.

So yeah, if you need one for your home check a surplus sale. I got two color laser printers, extra toner cartridges for both, five projectors, a bunch of misc. office supplies, and a school desk with chair all for $20.

Thank you for this post. It first made me bummed that it was out of my price range but then you got me looking up surplus sales and holy poo poo!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Suicide Girls dot Com?
Nope, Johnn Four's "Three Line NPCs" document, where every NPC actually has more than three lines of description and generally take up a page each.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Where the Heart Is by Arthur Asa.

This looks cool, but also looks like it hasn't updated since April. Shame, that, I was getting excited to have a new comic to read.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

In a kind of TG related thing, the second episode of Teen Titans Go! last night "Riding the Dragon" featured Robin as the groggest of grognard Rules Lawyers.

Good to know this cartoon for toddlers has my hobby represented on it so I can feel validated lol

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nope, Johnn Four's "Three Line NPCs" document, where every NPC actually has more than three lines of description and generally take up a page each.

Hahahahaha

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

I should do something like that sometime... and actually stick to a set number of lines.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Good to know this cartoon for toddlers has my hobby represented on it so I can feel validated lol
It's a weird show. They once did an entire episode about the benefits of investing in real estate. My kids watch, and I'm constantly having to explain jokes because they'll do episodes spoofing tv shows that aired in the 60's and 70's. I'm not entirely sure who Teen Titans Go is being made for, but it's definitely not toddlers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
being a rules lawyer is badass though

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

A lot of modern animation is made for parents. I mean, we've always had winks and nods in cartoons but it's at a seriously ridiculous level now.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

g0del posted:

It's a weird show. They once did an entire episode about the benefits of investing in real estate. My kids watch, and I'm constantly having to explain jokes because they'll do episodes spoofing tv shows that aired in the 60's and 70's. I'm not entirely sure who Teen Titans Go is being made for, but it's definitely not toddlers.

It seems to be made for me (a 28 yr old white dude), specifically, because holy poo poo that show has my number. I love it to death.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Trasson posted:

Yeah, I might have had stuff get in the way of refining this as much as I wanted to. I do wish it was better but I was in full panic mode trying to come up with questions (good surveying is hard).

So I'm sitting at over 130 responses between you guys and BGG, and my professor had been saying we needed 30-60 at minimum, so thank you all a stupid large amount for making me look good for this class.
It took me like 30 seconds and it's solidly in the "good enough for panic mode" tier of quality.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
does anyone know any good fantasy character artists who are doing commissions right now? a d&d friend of mine busted his knee and is having surgery atm so i thought I could commission a pic of his character as a get well gift, but i honestly don't know where to get started. i'd rather have something highly stylized/vibrant/weird than photorealistic, but its nice to have options.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Countblanc posted:

does anyone know any good fantasy character artists who are doing commissions right now? a d&d friend of mine busted his knee and is having surgery atm so i thought I could commission a pic of his character as a get well gift, but i honestly don't know where to get started. i'd rather have something highly stylized/vibrant/weird than photorealistic, but its nice to have options.

There's often a draw thread over on 4chan's /tg/ board, might be able to find an artist over there, they might even do it for free

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

g0del posted:

CaptCommy posted:

It seems to be made for me (a 28 yr old white dude), specifically, because holy poo poo that show has my number. I love it to death.

Zurui posted:

A lot of modern animation is made for parents. I mean, we've always had winks and nods in cartoons but it's at a seriously ridiculous level now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

If you like the style of the comic I posted above he's taking commissions this month.

http://regovrso.tumblr.com

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

Old school animation was made for parents too--Bugs Bunny & kin were totally for adults to watch in theaters. It was just in later decades that animation kind of got relegated to kid stuff in the US, largely because only kids would put up with the Hanna-Barbara budgets studios would give it.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

There are certainly cheaper and smaller color lasers. I have a HP 1518 and it's probably 30 lbs, and looks like they go for under $200. Toner isn't terribly expensive either.

Surplus sales and auctions are the way to go though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Old school animation was made for parents too--Bugs Bunny & kin were totally for adults to watch in theaters. It was just in later decades that animation kind of got relegated to kid stuff in the US, largely because only kids would put up with the Hanna-Barbara budgets studios would give it.

Case in point, this joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXeyuFn3lfc&t=170s

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
New blogpost is up, for The Next Project.

Wanna give a shoutout to forum goons Klungar and quantumninja, for helping my thought process on class slates. :buddy:
Also, posters in this thread, for ideas on some other design choices. ;)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 1, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On paper: if I was going to print out books (whose PDFs I legally own from DTRPG) so that I can have a dead-tree version, what should I be looking for in terms of paper quality? I know there's things like GSM and substance, what should I be aiming for?

On gaming paraphernalia: Do you think it would help for a live group if I provided small pocket calculators to help people do simple arithmetic? I'm not referring to things like Traveller's space combat/travel rules or anything, but even something as simple as "roll a d20, add 3 for Strength, add 7 for enemy AC, and you hit if the total is 20 or higher" can take a while to do mentally if they're not used to it, and calculators are cheap nowadays.

I first saw the idea in Tabletop Simulator's set-ups where each player has one to work with. Does anyone else do this? Did it help?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hmm. Only thing I remember about paper is try to get it acid free?

Re: Calculators - YES. Also any true gamer should have the calculator app on their phone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

On gaming paraphernalia: Do you think it would help for a live group if I provided small pocket calculators to help people do simple arithmetic? I'm not referring to things like Traveller's space combat/travel rules or anything, but even something as simple as "roll a d20, add 3 for Strength, add 7 for enemy AC, and you hit if the total is 20 or higher" can take a while to do mentally if they're not used to it, and calculators are cheap nowadays.
Do they not have phones made in the last ten years? Because mine's a POS flip phone and it has a calculator.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah I also know that pretty much everyone has a smartphone, but I wanted to provide a "premium experience" and not have to ask people to take out their phones and use the calculator app from there.

It's possibly frivolous, I know, but it's more "would you find this useful, if I did it?" and assuming that the cost is no big deal for me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

On paper: if I was going to print out books (whose PDFs I legally own from DTRPG) so that I can have a dead-tree version, what should I be looking for in terms of paper quality? I know there's things like GSM and substance, what should I be aiming for?

I first saw the idea in Tabletop Simulator's set-ups where each player has one to work with. Does anyone else do this? Did it help?

Depends on how close to professional quality you want, cause I've had good results using printMe1 when I decided to compile and print all of the Microlite 74 PDFs I had into a single volume, not necessarily the most permanent result(indeed overall the quality isn't that much higher than doing it at a Kinkos), but it's fairly cheap if you go B&W and one of their cheaper or free binding options

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have had no issues with Lulu printing books for me that were of equitable quality to any paperback black and white RPG books I have ever bought. I have not tried their color options, as they are pretty expensive, but I have had RPG PDF's I owned printed that were over 300 pages for about $20.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To be absolutely clear, I'm not talking about a printing service, I'm asking about what paper I should get if I'm going to print on my own paper and using my own printer. I don't even live in the States.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I hear tell that there is a TG related Discord chatroom in which goons hang out. Could someone be so kind as to share a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like calculators are a better option than apps, simply because you don't have to unlock the phone, start the app, oh and quickly check Facebook while I have it out.

• Locked thread