Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

A thrown weapon requires the thrown property to roll it's damage die when it's buffed at ranged. Otherwise it's counted as an improvised weapon and does 1d4 damage, as far as I understand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Spiteski posted:

A thrown weapon requires the thrown property to roll it's damage die when it's buffed at ranged. Otherwise it's counted as an improvised weapon and does 1d4 damage, as far as I understand it

So nothing new with the whip :v:

God I wish the whip was ever usable by anyone ever in any D&D.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

djw175 posted:

We had a magical whip of Alarm or whatever. We couldn't be surprised and everyone got advantage on initiative. Didn't even have to wield it in combat, the Barbarian loved it.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Obligatory plug: https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

The main thing is that you should be aware of the hit-point totals of your players, and that the absolute upper floor of how hard you hit them for should be about half of that.

And yes, that means your margins are going to be thin as Michael Moore's upholstery.
Is that your site? I used the revised table last night. loving awesome work dude.

:hifive:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

djw175 posted:

Just make one yourself that deals regular cruddy whip damage against normal enemies and deals a mindboggling amount of damage against negative energy-infused things. Then, on a terrible night to have a curse, solo the Return to the Tomb of Horrors.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also you can loving whip around at sonic speeds, make it rain holy water or knives, explode into holy energy, light your whip on fire and deliver scathing yet hammy critique to dark overlord.

"Die monster, you dont belong on any plane!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also you can loving whip around at sonic speeds, make it rain holy water or knives, explode into holy energy, light your whip on fire and deliver scathing yet hammy critique to dark overlord.

Even if it's Dungeon World, I feel compelled to share anyway.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I mean, whips are a reach one handed melee weapon. So if you take the dual wield feat and the fighter fighting style, at level 4 you could be doing 2d4+8 at 10 ft range. And since they're finesse you could get sneak attack die.

...as opposed to 2d8+8 with dw rapiers at 5 ft range.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

djw175 posted:

Nasgate posted:

I mean, whips are a reach one handed melee weapon. So if you take the dual wield feat and the fighter fighting style, at level 4 you could be doing 2d4+8 at 10 ft range. And since they're finesse you could get sneak attack die.

Dual Wield whips as a Barbarian/Rogue; as your TWF sequence:

1. use your action to Shove from 10ft with a whip, Advantage on the check from Rage, Expertise on the check from being a Rogue.
2. use your Bonus action to attack from 10ft with the other whip, Advantage from prone, Sneak attack from Advantage with a finesse weapon.

Discuss.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LordAdakos posted:

Is that your site? I used the revised table last night. loving awesome work dude.

:hifive:

Thank you! Glad to be of help.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
3. Look up from the mewling pile of meat that used to be a sentient being until you methodically whipped it into submission by specifically targetting its most vulnerable parts as it rolled around helplessly at your feet.
4. Wonder why the bard is throwing up and the paladin's sword is glowing like that while he charges you.
5. Goto 1.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

P.d0t posted:

Dual Wield whips as a Barbarian/Rogue; as your TWF sequence:

1. use your action to Shove from 10ft with a whip, Advantage on the check from Rage, Expertise on the check from being a Rogue.
2. use your Bonus action to attack from 10ft with the other whip, Advantage from prone, Sneak attack from Advantage with a finesse weapon.

Discuss.

This is a terrible idea. Yes you could attempt the shove from 10ft away, assuming you can shove through your weapon instead of using your body, not entirely sure about that. But...once you knock them down you will have disadvantage, and no Sneak Attack, because they are prone. Yeah. Prone gives advantage to attack if you are using a melee weapon within 5ft of the prone target, but disadvantage beyond 5ft.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The other nice thing about prone is it grants disadvantage on attack rolls, IIRC, so it makes it easier to dance around prone people without getting hit by OAs.
But yeah, the whole "you can move between your attacks but errr not with TWF attacks, only Extra Attack" kinda ruins my fun, now.

That's why I said "Discuss" as short form for "I can't be bothered to look up all the specifics right now." :v:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I haven't seen anybody really discussed Tome of Monsters (https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/tome-of-beasts-for-5th-edition/); I think the PDF went out to backers and I got to look at one recently while visiting a friend.

It looks pretty good although balance is about where you'd expect it from 5e. Some of the monsters are much more tightly designed, but it also looks like they take the 'one party of 4th level adventurers vs 1 CR 4 monster' thing pretty seriously, with a lot of monsters getting 3 or more attacks even are relatively low CR. If nothing else, if you like the monster design in 5e, it's more of that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
DM advice > more published monsters.

You can give the monsters as many attacks as you want, as long as the DMing book is like "for the love of god, don't focus fire the same PC every round :gonk:"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

P.d0t posted:

DM advice > more published monsters.

You can give the monsters as many attacks as you want, as long as the DMing book is like "for the love of god, don't focus fire the same PC every round :gonk:"

Explaining to my players that I prefer 4th because I'm allowed to more fully attack them and have a fair fight instead of forcing monsters to make bizarre attack reprioritizations was eye opening for some of them.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

What? You specifically have to be within 5ft for a melee attack to have advantage on a prone enemy? Well poo poo, I can't tell if that's good or not, since that makes polearms super-poo poo, but could make monsters with reach melee attacks less dangerous.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Barudak posted:

Explaining to my players that I prefer 4th because I'm allowed to more fully attack them and have a fair fight instead of forcing monsters to make bizarre attack reprioritizations was eye opening for some of them.

I've only DM'd a few sessions but I've always just made a narrative excuse for a monster to change targets. It's somewhat easy when it's wild beasts/dumb creatures and the rest of the party isn't just leaving a person to fend for themselves.

How I'll handle that when it's intelligent things that know to finish off a weakened foe first...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just realized that rangers (even the new UA one) start with a longbow, which is a heavy weapon, and small races like gnomes and halflings use heavy weapons with disadvantage. Is this the only example of a pretty clear incompatibility between race and class? What's the recommended way to deal with it? Just swapping it out for a shortbow feels like getting short-changed :v:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

djw175 posted:

Tempest fighter dual-wielding scourges in 4E was pretty darn effective, especially once you added in all the various flail feats that enhanced tripping and forced movement. (IIRC, there was also a uber-specialized combat style feat that was based on a spear/whip combo.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

404notfound posted:

I just realized that rangers (even the new UA one) start with a longbow, which is a heavy weapon, and small races like gnomes and halflings use heavy weapons with disadvantage. Is this the only example of a pretty clear incompatibility between race and class? What's the recommended way to deal with it? Just swapping it out for a shortbow feels like getting short-changed :v:

You could just ignore the disadvantage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

404notfound posted:

Small races have been poo poo mechanically and largely forgotten about for several editions now.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

404notfound posted:

Why the gently caress would you play Ranger with either of those races anyway?
eh, I guess Halfling I can kinda see.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 1, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Burglar posted:

Small races have been poo poo mechanically and largely forgotten about for several editions now.

I just want a good goblin PC spread :negative:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

P.d0t posted:

The other nice thing about prone is it grants disadvantage on attack rolls, IIRC, so it makes it easier to dance around prone people without getting hit by OAs.
But yeah, the whole "you can move between your attacks but errr not with TWF attacks, only Extra Attack" kinda ruins my fun, now.

That's why I said "Discuss" as short form for "I can't be bothered to look up all the specifics right now." :v:

Other characters
must use an action to Disengage if they want to escape a
melee, but the Fancy Footwork feature of the Swashbuckler bundles a more limited version of Disengage with in
your attack. This allows you to use your bonus action to
fight with two weapons, and then safely evade each foe
you attacked.

Afaik nothing says you have to use a bonus action when you get it so there you go. From sword of the coast btw, its a rogue archetype.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

Does only Pathfinder support small Cavalier-types riding through dungeons on their mighty dogs?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is what the Ranger should be all about. The ranged variant could through doves at people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doresh posted:

Does only Pathfinder support small Cavalier-types riding through dungeons on their mighty dogs?

This is what the Ranger should be all about. The ranged variant could through doves at people.

Pretty sure full cleric caster levels + fighter multi attack progression on ranged attacks that don't require held weapons would be extremely overpowered even for the designers of 5th edition.

Well I think this afternoon it's time to whip up a Belmont template.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Doresh posted:

I mean via the rules you can mount any willing, properly trained creature a size larger than you with "the apropriate anatomy". The issue is the best mounted weapon is a lance(d12, strangely not heavy) which uses strength and riding checks are a dex check. So if you built for it, youd be a martial class with low con relatively.

Depending on how your dm reads "appropriate anatomy" you could ride giant spiders, familiars, shapeshifted druids, or even other pcs. Just 20g for a military saddle which works for anything that isn't aquatic or flying.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nasgate posted:

Depending on how your dm reads "appropriate anatomy" you could ride giant spiders, familiars, shapeshifted druids, or even other pcs. Just 20g for a military saddle which works for anything that isn't aquatic or flying.

Or you go with an even smaller race and ride on the backpack of a fellow PC to use him as a siege tower. Provided 5e has halfway decent support for mounted archery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

True to my word, I wrote up the Belmont in 5e character class. I think I need to scan over the damage curve and some of the abilities, but this exercise has basically reinforced how uninteresting all of the Fighters options are. Nothing happens except you slowly roll more dice at a time, jeezum.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Curse of Strahd Exposition:

I just finished running Curse of Strahd for a monk, cleric, sorcerer, and rogue. It went okay! The way the campaign worked out, we skipped two chapters of the book which covered areas that hadn't been foreshadowed by any random encounters and weren't very pressing, the werewolf den and revenant keep. They were also level 10 using the milestone rules, and I capped them there until they defeated Strahd. We only covered maybe 60% of Castle Ravenloft because the characters were all decently equipped and wanted to beeline to Strahd's location. That actually turned out pretty okay for pacing. They had several short rests in barricaded rooms to heal/identify/attune, but by conserving spells they did that 60% without needing a long rest and had some great moments of tension. By the end in a race through the crypts against time, the cleric was using 4th level slots to cast dispel magic to bypass Strahd's final defenses so they could finish him off.

As for aftermath, The players bypassed the Vistani camp near the center town, so they never met the dusk elf who wants to resurrect his sister. They did convince Esmeralda to accompany them to the Amber Temple, so I made the resurrection plot focused on her mother instead, who is mechanically the same, a power hungry sorceress who wanted to marry/use/surpass Strahd. The characters are leaving Barovia with Esmeralda's mother left in charge along with one of the PC's transitioning to an NPC because they too are a power hungry sorceress who touched too many amber sarcophagi to be fun to play. This will of course end well years down the line.

Moving Forward:

We decided to stick with the remaining characters and explore 5E's higher levels :unsmigghh: , so now I have three PCs, unknown level 1 fuckoff adventurers, who are returning to civilized land as competent but still unknown level 11 heroes with a wagon caravan full of treasure they looted from Barovia but which they could not spend.

They want to buy a pirate fleet and create Armada from China Mieville's The Scar. That is to say hundreds of ships constructed together into a slow moving free city which supports itself primarily through piracy or trade deals with other pirate factions. I am cool with this and doing as much research as I can to make the process fun. Does anyone here have experience or advice for running nautical themed campaigns? I've honestly never played or DM'd one. For inspiration, I'm looking at Pathfinder's Skull and Shackles adventure path, but if people have other sources, I'd like to see them.

Also how should I handle the technology disparity? I'm thinking of making some of the first adventures centered around acquiring cannons which were only recently invented in a foreign nation. There was a lot of helpful firearm discussion just earlier in the thread, but how should I introduce them when we've been playing in a different setting for so long?

And finally I've been itching to use slaad in an interesting way. At sea there will be plenty of opportunity to create situations inspired by the movies Alien and Aliens. Other than that, has anyone had any good experiences with slaad enemies in a campaign?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pleads posted:

How I'll handle that when it's intelligent things that know to finish off a weakened foe first...
If they've fought wolves or any other animal predator they've already fought things that know to finish off a weakened foe first. Predators, especially pack hunters, are kind of known for preferring to target the weak and injured.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Playing monsters "as intelligently as possible" also means playing them as falling back if they're smart enough to want to do so if they're losing.

Which is technically why old-school D&D did tell the DM to not pull any punches: because even if the goblins beelined for the healer in the dress, if you were following the rules to the letter, then individual goblins would take a morale check as soon as they took 1 hit, and again when they're reduced to 25% HP, and then the whole group would take a morale check as soon as one of them died, and again if at least half are dead/incapacitated.

It's 3rd (and 5th) Edition that entered this awkward state where there are no morale checks anymore, so most fights are to the death unless the DM uses DM fiat to make the monsters run away, but at the same time trying to play the monsters with zero fudging means you can probably kill PCs because they won't always have the tools/abilities and survivability to deal with it. 4th continued to not have morale rules, but at least by then player roles and abilities to let them perform those roles are substantive and effective, and survivability has been tuned upwards enough that you're not dropping players within 1 to 2 hits.

VVVVVVV yeah okay, I acknowledge that. My point wasn't "the other editions are better", so much as "this is why the other editions worked in the way they did", as a way of understanding why letting the DM go whole hog on tactical play in 5e needs caveats.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 3, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

4th continued to not have morale rules

Arguably the function of intimidating bloodied enemies is supposed to cover this design space, but they arbitrarily made the DC higher than level-appropriate, so it only ever worked if you crammed every possible skill bonus onto it.

But we all really need to stop talking about other editions in this thread; I know it's a new rule and everything but the last page or so has been pushing the envelope a little too much.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's 3rd (and 5th) Edition that entered this awkward state where there are no morale checks anymore, so most fights are to the death unless the DM uses DM fiat to make the monsters run away, but at the same time trying to play the monsters with zero fudging means you can probably kill PCs because they won't always have the tools/abilities and survivability to deal with it. 4th continued to not have morale rules, but at least by then player roles and abilities to let them perform those roles are substantive and effective, and survivability has been tuned upwards enough that you're not dropping players within 1 to 2 hits.

Well i think that D&D's conversion into final fantasy & other Jrpg's has some blame for that too. Also i'm pretty sure in 4th that intimidate could be used to force a morale check of sorts on bloodied enemies

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've chased monsters all over the goddamn place plenty of times. Last week we chased a kobold up into a hay bale loft in a barn. Three levels up and he kept on running away. We wanted to just set the barn on fire, but dude next to us likes horses, so..

If we don't kill them they usually end up surrendering, or becoming our friends before an untimely death.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So let the horses go before you burn the barn down.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's 3rd (and 5th) Edition that entered this awkward state
~*WOTC*~

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Now that the ranger has been revised, are they the best ranged/archer class? Or is it some kind of fighter/bard hybrid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Defiant Sally posted:

Now that the ranger has been revised, are they the best ranged/archer class? Or is it some kind of fighter/bard hybrid?

For sustained, no strings attached damage, it's probably Warlock still. For pure damage, Fighters have a few advantages, between the fighting style and extra ASIs (which they can put into Sharpshooter for its -5/+10 attack option). However, Eldritch Blast has a higher damage die than a longbow with Hex on top of that, and they've got a sizable spell list to make Warlocks useful in the rest of the game as well.

The Deep Stalker archetype potentially makes for a great alpha-striker when multiclassed with an Assassin Rogue, though. The biggest issue with Assassin is that its level 3 Assassinate feature is fairly difficult to trigger. The buff to Natural Explorer gives them advantage on initiative rolls, making them more likely to act before enemies, thereby gaining advantage through Assassinate in the first round of combat. The Deep Stalker's level 3 features collectively make it a lot easier to surprise enemies in dark environments which makes the other half of Assassinate (crits against surprised targets) attainable.