Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Oh hey a Mazda is dieing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

CactusWeasle posted:

Weather looks better than last year :v:

weather looks better than here in Boston

also, lol 55

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

yo i dont wanna rock the boat but this john pew fellow? seems bad. bad at the racecar driving.

I actually had Ryan Eversley defend him for keeping MSR going and nice guy, but he sucks in these lmp2 cars and MSR might be a force next year in GTD just because Pew is taking a sabbatical.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

CactusWeasle posted:

Oh hey a Mazda is dieing

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

harperdc posted:

Oh, this rumor is back. I want this to be true :unsmith: cmon MBUSA, sign off on the drat thing.

Considering the posts here too I can imagine some kind of i8 becomes the BMW GTE car. Too many advantages to MR vs an M4/6.

The GTD/3 part seems solid. P2 part was is just theory crafting but hey I'm down for more manufactures.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

RIP track surface

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Were back to green? WTF?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

harperdc posted:

Oh, this rumor is back. I want this to be true :unsmith: cmon MBUSA, sign off on the drat thing.

Considering the posts here too I can imagine some kind of i8 becomes the BMW GTE car. Too many advantages to MR vs an M4/6.

It is not going to be the i8. Waaaaaay too much engineering work.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Any other goons at the race this weekend?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Has FOX's stream been making GBS threads the bed for the past half hour or so for anyone else?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

gret posted:

Has FOX's stream been making GBS threads the bed for the past half hour or so for anyone else?

It's struggling right now. They had similar problems with their FS1 broadcast at CoTA, too.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Oh Mazda

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
MAZDA NOOO

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LMAO Mazda... of course.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's like when Mazda ran that diesel class and blew up each race. Except it's in P.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Nice that the stream lasted until the last hour then poo poo the bed.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
#44 put to the back because "the primary paired driver did not complete the minimum time."

Viper wins.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

BMB5150 posted:

Nice that the stream lasted until the last hour then poo poo the bed.

:agreed:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gonna have to watch it on youtube when i get back home but it was definitely an exciting race

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Held off posting this until Petit was over, but I've DVRed the last two BTCC highlight shows (Rockingham, Silverstone) to get caught up and they've reaffirmed why I love this series.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

BTCC owns.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are 8 drivers who could win the BTCC title at Brands tomorrow. That is ridiculous.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Interrupting BTCC chat i found something that likely aligns with this threads interests

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hammond, May, and Clarkson can't legally use the Stig on their new show, so for a driver they uh hired the Stig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYJZG5Og2yg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

no bones about it posted:

Interrupting BTCC chat i found something that likely aligns with this threads interests

lol how they worked an SAS raid on the Iranian embassy joke into talking about him, I have no idea

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Final BTCC race in a few minutes.

Tordoff, Shedden and Turkington can still win the title. Tordoff leading, Shedden 3 points back, Turkington 10 back. Shedden the only one with no teammates as backup though as Matt Neal got a concussion in race 2.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

The lmp2 Dallara was spotted.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/dallara-lmp2-breaks-cover/

Also Lucas Luhr was arrested yesterday for public indecency. Was drunk as hell after the imsa banquet and pissed at a gas station pump.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BMB5150 posted:

Also Lucas Luhr was arrested yesterday for public indecency. Was drunk as hell after the imsa banquet and pissed at a gas station pump.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/rebellion-to-make-lmp2-switch-in-2017-835475/

Pretty much the death knell for non-manufacturer LMP1. Wouldn't be suprised if they just eliminate the class after 2017.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1500quidporsche posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/rebellion-to-make-lmp2-switch-in-2017-835475/

Pretty much the death knell for non-manufacturer LMP1. Wouldn't be suprised if they just eliminate the class after 2017.

can u eliminate a class which kinda never existed in the first place? #deepthots

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

LMP1 is technically a seperate class from LMP1H is it not?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

1500quidporsche posted:

LMP1 is technically a seperate class from LMP1H is it not?

Not really; it's a subclass just like the various hybrid levels are...in other words, the same, but somehow different.

So I was doing some reading, and unless I'm missing something huge, there is nothing that expressly forbids a manufacturer from running a gas-electric hybrid in LM-GTE; the rules in fact state that "If a mean of propulsion different that an internal combustion engine is considered, it needs to be used directly from serial car without any modification", which means a BMW i8 GTE could theoretically be allowed within the rules.

They would have to do away with the front axle electric drive (probably with a waiver) and up the gas engine output to 300-350 horsepower, but other than that it should be entirely possible to enter the i8 as BMW's new GTE entry; no need to try and graft in a V8 or anything.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I had assumed the LMP1 privateer "class" was created as a token gesture to non-factory teams (Rebellion) who would never have the resources to compete with the factory LMP1s, which was always the actual LMP1 class anyway.

Too bad, but that's the downside of having exotic regulations and (somewhat) open tech to play within them: If you don't have the money, you can't realistically expect to compete.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrChips posted:

Not really; it's a subclass just like the various hybrid levels are...in other words, the same, but somehow different.

So I was doing some reading, and unless I'm missing something huge, there is nothing that expressly forbids a manufacturer from running a gas-electric hybrid in LM-GTE; the rules in fact state that "If a mean of propulsion different that an internal combustion engine is considered, it needs to be used directly from serial car without any modification", which means a BMW i8 GTE could theoretically be allowed within the rules.

They would have to do away with the front axle electric drive (probably with a waiver) and up the gas engine output to 300-350 horsepower, but other than that it should be entirely possible to enter the i8 as BMW's new GTE entry; no need to try and graft in a V8 or anything.

How would that work? There's no way to get the hybrid power to the rear wheels so BMW would still have to massively re-engineer the car and then do a ton of integration work to make it a RWD hybrid. And that's not exactly using it "directly from serial car without any modification," is it?

The GTE car will be an M4 or M6.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

I had assumed the LMP1 privateer "class" was created as a token gesture to non-factory teams (Rebellion) who would never have the resources to compete with the factory LMP1s, which was always the actual LMP1 class anyway.

Too bad, but that's the downside of having exotic regulations and (somewhat) open tech to play within them: If you don't have the money, you can't realistically expect to compete.

Well, you can, but that requires some spine on behalf of the series so they write in regulations for homologation and a selection of customer cars from the manufacturers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MrChips posted:

Honestly, I see a NSX GTE before an i8 GTE. They're already using a non-hybrid NSX for GT3.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

*edit*
nvm, posted an old image.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brutal smash at Bathurst in the development V8 series:

http://www.supercars.com/videos/supercheap-auto-bathurst-1000-videos/huge-hit-in-dunlop-series-enduro/?sf38224559=1

Locked up the front wheels in the Skyline, and ricochets into the Esses.

Don't forget, Bathurst 1000 this weekend

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

You Am I posted:

Brutal smash at Bathurst in the development V8 series:

http://www.supercars.com/videos/supercheap-auto-bathurst-1000-videos/huge-hit-in-dunlop-series-enduro/?sf38224559=1

Locked up the front wheels in the Skyline, and ricochets into the Esses.

Don't forget, Bathurst 1000 this weekend

aka the best loving day of the year :munch:

Go cars 12, 17, 111 or really anyone but Whincup.

edit: already tired of the over exposure for the team who have been last or second last in every single session and are a complete irrelevance for the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

aka the best loving day of the year :munch:

Go cars 12, 17, 111 or really anyone but Whincup.

edit: already tired of the over exposure for the team who have been last or second last in every single session and are a complete irrelevance for the race.

Guess who won the qualifying Shootout!

Excited to have that on tomorrow.

• Locked thread