Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Memento posted:

It's just highly tuned cars. You might hear a bit of a popping noise on overrun on a regular car signifying small amounts of unburnt fuel being cooked off in the exhaust but to actually have flames spitting out the end you need quite a lot of fuel in there. When you press the accelerator down in a top end car like that, it takes a ton of air in and injects a ton of fuel so it doesn't run lean (insufficient fuel, can damage the engine), and taking your foot off the throttle quickly means you can get a lot of fuel injected in without any air to help it burn. There's only one place that fuel can go, which is into the exhaust, and if it's a really large amount, it might not have enough oxygen available to ignite until it's past the end of the exhaust, even though it's hot enough to spontaneously ignite.

It seems like this is easy to determine after an incident. Would this mean that an insurance company may refuse to pay the expensive Italian car on fire claim?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eponine posted:

It seems like this is easy to determine after an incident. Would this mean that an insurance company may refuse to pay the expensive Italian car on fire claim?

If the owner even had comprehensive coverage in the first place. Given that it's probably driven 5 times and then put in a collection garage, they might not. (AIUI insurance for car-as-art is different from general comprehensive coverage, and only covers inside storage or when being transported.)

But if you own a car like that, you can afford to replace it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ordinary cars can do it too. You see it after snowfalls, when idiots spin their wheels in the icy roads, getting nowhere and eventually their engine overheats and happiness happens.

Another way, is people stuck in traffic:

I live in a goddamn desert but I still know not to do the poo poo these people do :shrug:

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Both dogs were okay.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Didn't even get to the lemons, malic acid and bottle of lemon concentrate. :sad:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ordinary cars can do it too. You see it after snowfalls, when idiots spin their wheels in the icy roads, getting nowhere and eventually their engine overheats and happiness happens.

Another way, is people stuck in traffic:

I live in a goddamn desert but I still know not to do the poo poo these people do :shrug:

Doesn't every car ever have a temp gauge?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bum the Sad posted:

lol if you expect dumbfucks to actually pay attention to that

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
WRT to the flaming cars, it can happen totally unrelated to any fuel being dumped into/out of the exhaust (though obviously that doesn't help). The lambo video in particular is a good example. The video is from Dubai, so it's probably 110F/43C+, and he's revving the engine for a good bit while stationary. The engine in that makes 700hp (assuming he hasn't messed with it.) Considering that most cars don't break 40% thermal efficiency (less than 40% of the power generated is used to move the car, the rest is heat/noise/overcoming friction) you're talking A LOT of heat. Since he's stationary, he's getting practically zero cooling on his car which is generating insane amounts of heat in an already insanely hot environment. Combine that with the adhesives used to hold the car together (gotta love aerospace adhesives!) and something is going to get hot enough to reach it's autoignite point, either insulation or the glue itself. Then he keeps revving it because "I'm a rich oil shiek and I'm too important to sit in traffic and people need to know. People are honking at me? Better rev more!:downs:" and boom, a few hundred grand disappears in flames.

The real schadenfreude is that the car probably costs pocket change to him and he most likely just lol'd and bought a new one. Eat the rich.

fake edit: toyota is making GBS threads its pants in excitment over creating an engine with 38% efficiency, and claims most cars average 20%. That's a LOT of wasted heat energy being dumped into a car with no cooling, hence why even basic economy cars can go up in flames. This has been your daily science lesson:science:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm not an engineer, but if they're producing so much heat couldn't you sick a heat exchange mechanism/thermoelectric generator on something and reclaim some of the energy? I guess it's just pumped out in such a diffuse pattern it's kinda pointless.

e: ^^ TA-DA!

Outrail has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Oct 1, 2016

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Outrail posted:

I'm not an engineer, but if they're producing so much heat couldn't you sick a heat exchange mechanism/thermoelectric generator on something and reclaim some of the energy? I guess it's just pumped out in such a diffuse pattern it's kinda pointless.

That's what the car heater core does to warm up the air being blown into the cabin. Engine coolant is fed from the hot engine through the heater core which then heats air that is blown into the cabin. It's basically just a mini radiator in the dashboard.

And I'm not sure if it has a huge effect or not but I've been told if a car engine is overheating for some reason you can turn on the heater full blast to help cool the engine as a last ditch effort.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Outrail posted:

Probably, but if its a car you want to be affordable and reliable, everything extra you add is just going to add more complexity and problems.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Panfilo posted:

Probably, but if its a car you want to be affordable and reliable, everything extra you add is just going to add more complexity and problems.

Lets put one in then, and mesh it in with a bunch of the other unreliable stuff that needs frequent fixing so you have to remove it to get at anything else. - Car manufacturers

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Outrail posted:

Lets put one in then, and mesh it in with a bunch of the other unreliable stuff that needs frequent fixing so you have to remove it to get at anything else. - Car manufacturers

$2,000 mechanic bill and yet-to-be-diagnosed electrical problem later...

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Vitamins posted:

And I'm not sure if it has a huge effect or not but I've been told if a car engine is overheating for some reason you can turn on the heater full blast to help cool the engine as a last ditch effort.

From what I understand this was possible in older cars, but modern ones with aluminum engine bits heat too fast. I think the idea is that if the aluminum gets hot enough to spike the temp on the gauge then by the time you can get the heat blasting it'll have already gotten too hot and the small amount of heat you are able to dissipate with the heater won't save your engine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Panfilo posted:

$2,000 mechanic bill and yet-to-be-diagnosed electrical problem later...

You just described my vehicle. Thanks.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Vitamins posted:

I had to do this once when my mid 90s camry started overheating on a long drive. Heat on full blast for two hours in the middle of August. It worked and I got home, but it got a little steamy in there even with all the windows open. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic because if I stopped, it was over.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's a thing that's been bothering me a long while. Who was it that owned how many petabytes of horse's vaginas, and why?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Vitamins posted:

I had to do this a lot in my first car, a 1981 Civic. Driving around with the heat on full blast in summer just to get up hills was awful.

Interestingly or stupidly, my current car actually simulates the popping sound of unburnt fuel when I release the gas while accelerating hard in sport mode. I don't know exactly what it is doing, but it's purely for fun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

oh dope posted:

I had to do this once when my mid 90s camry started overheating on a long drive. Heat on full blast for two hours in the middle of August. It worked and I got home, but it got a little steamy in there even with all the windows open. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic because if I stopped, it was over.

I was driving across NoDak on a particularly hot summer in my old malfunctioning 4 beater and It was perfectly fine until I stopped at a rest-stop, at which point the temp gauge pegged with no air flow and I needed to pop the hood for an hour until it deigned to start again.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

WRT to the flaming cars, it can happen totally unrelated to any fuel being dumped into/out of the exhaust (though obviously that doesn't help). The lambo video in particular is a good example. The video is from Dubai, so it's probably 110F/43C+, and he's revving the engine for a good bit while stationary. The engine in that makes 700hp (assuming he hasn't messed with it.) Considering that most cars don't break 40% thermal efficiency (less than 40% of the power generated is used to move the car, the rest is heat/noise/overcoming friction) you're talking A LOT of heat. Since he's stationary, he's getting practically zero cooling on his car which is generating insane amounts of heat in an already insanely hot environment. Combine that with the adhesives used to hold the car together (gotta love aerospace adhesives!) and something is going to get hot enough to reach it's autoignite point, either insulation or the glue itself. Then he keeps revving it because "I'm a rich oil shiek and I'm too important to sit in traffic and people need to know. People are honking at me? Better rev more!:downs:" and boom, a few hundred grand disappears in flames.

See also: Any extended "burnout" video. Like this one for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI7h_LBifIM

You don't even need fancy aerospace crap to autoignite, there's a fair amount of regular stuff in the engine bay that could fail under extreme operating temperatures and ruin your day.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Karate Bastard posted:

Here's a thing that's been bothering me a long while. Who was it that owned how many petabytes of horse's vaginas, and why?

IIRC that originally came from someone posting about a "realistic horse vaginas" mod for Skyrim.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Karate Bastard posted:

There is some fine print in the EULA of Bethesda's games that states that mods created for their games are the property of Bethesda. This led to the natural conclusion that at some point an accounting would be done of the mods for the Elder Scrolls games and some accountant would say "Wait, we own how many petabytes of horse vaginas?!"

Edit: I just remembered that this came up when Bethesda sent cease and desist notices to people trying to fund their mods on kickstarter. Turns out Bethesda doesn't want you to raise $44k to make mods off their IP.

tasukiscool has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Oct 1, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hahaha serves them right! They loving deserve to own all of loving nexus for all their poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tasukiscool posted:

There is some fine print in the EULA of Bethesda's games that states that mods created for their games are the property of Bethesda. This led to the natural conclusion that at some point an accounting would be done of the mods for the Elder Scrolls games and some accountant would say "Wait, we own how many petabytes of horse vaginas?!"

Wasn't that also the title of the PYF quotes thread at some point?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I assume the stuck people had nervous breakdowns about being late to be someplace which caused their impromptu Paul Walker tribute burnouts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I could feel my mouth sympathy-puckering.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bum the Sad posted:

Yea but it measures the coolant temp, which could be just fine depending on what's going on.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Outrail posted:

e: ^^ TA-DA!

F1 cars (and I think Le Mans cars?) do this. They're placed inside the engine block and turbochargers. This power, and power from regenerative braking, is used to power an electric motor to give a boost of speed. They generate enough electricity to be worth ~30HP in ~850-900 HP engines, which probably wouldn't be worth the extra cost in a regular car, but it's something that car companies are exploring.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmsDkNyxo0

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

`Nemesis posted:

Yea but it measures the coolant temp, which could be just fine depending on what's going on.

This makes me really wish cars offered more comprehensive readouts. Everything is so computerized you'd think you could sync your smartphone to your car and get more detailed information in real time rather than an idiot light and a $100 bill to just diagnose the E U.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Panfilo posted:

This makes me really wish cars offered more comprehensive readouts. Everything is so computerized you'd think you could sync your smartphone to your car and get more detailed information in real time rather than an idiot light and a $100 bill to just diagnose the E U.

You do realize a ton of auto parts stores will read the OBD-II code for free, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bum the Sad posted:

Mine doesn’t. If there are no error lights and it’s not literally on fire, I can only assume assume it’s within safe operating temperature.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Oct 2, 2016

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The other part is a lot of manufacturers fuzz the data on dash displays cause the layman isn't particularly good at interpreting what they mean.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

One in a million shot doc, one in a million

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Double Punctuation posted:

You do realize a ton of auto parts stores will read the OBD-II code for free, right?

Yeah but most people don't, otherwise there's no market for it at auto shops particularly dealerships.

Also, that doesn't give me real time information. It would be nice to get in top of an imminent problem vs waiting for the idiot light to turn on and getting a diagnostic code.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Panfilo posted:

Yeah but most people don't, otherwise there's no market for it at auto shops particularly dealerships.

Also, that doesn't give me real time information. It would be nice to get in top of an imminent problem vs waiting for the idiot light to turn on and getting a diagnostic code.

Add-ons that do this exist, if your vehicle is ODB-II compliant (which p much means MY1996 or newer), e.g. https://www.scangauge.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Panfilo posted:

Check out torque lite, its a reader that interfaces with a smart phone. I got one for Christmas from my brother, think he said it was about $15