Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mordiceius posted:

Reminder: The Yo-kai event ends Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the reminder. Still need to get medals for the last two minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 1, 2016

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

staplegun posted:

Despite all of Yoshi-P's efforts to help me not gently caress up when melding, I still manage to gently caress up spectacularly:

[screams internally]

I don't know whether to laugh or cry for you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The squadron rank up (the squad, not your personal GC rank up) mission definitely seems to be somewhat artificially more difficult for your squad to fulfil than the others.

My main team are all level 21 (the mission is level 20) and they're a collective ~10 or so points away from meeting the minimum requirements over all categories but the helper says it's largely hopeless. The level 15 one has like 70 points mental below and he says I'm a lot more likely to successfully beat that one.

Seems weird.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The squadron rank up (the squad, not your personal GC rank up) mission definitely seems to be somewhat artificially more difficult for your squad to fulfil than the others.

My main team are all level 21 (the mission is level 20) and they're a collective ~10 or so points away from meeting the minimum requirements over all categories but the helper says it's largely hopeless. The level 15 one has like 70 points mental below and he says I'm a lot more likely to successfully beat that one.

Seems weird.

The stats are a hard requirement on that promotion mission I think, my squad edged over the stats by a hair and it switched from hopeless to easy success.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Squaddies get a few extra stat points from leveling up and even if they're capped on training, they can still level up from doing missions, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Xarbala posted:

Squaddies get a few extra stat points from leveling up and even if they're capped on training, they can still level up from doing missions, right?

Yeah. From what I've seen it looks like they get two points a level. Can be in two points in one stat or one in two.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Xarbala posted:

The training cap has got to be a mistranslation because I totally had people level up on training past level 20.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mordiceius posted:

Reminder: The Yo-kai event ends Tuesday morning.

Bleh. I got all the pets and the weapons I wanted and stopped. I don't even like the mount. Congrats to all the goons who went the distance, though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Y'all squadron people should be reading the thread where all the data mining for it has been happening

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ilifinicus posted:

Y'all squadron people should be reading the thread where all the data mining for it has been happening

Mind linking it? I have no idea what thread you're talking about or even what website to find it on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

The stats are a hard requirement on that promotion mission I think, my squad edged over the stats by a hair and it switched from hopeless to easy success.

Perhaps, yeah. I sent them on it anyway, just to see if it would succeed but I don't suspect that they will. I should be able to get above that requirement with the next three training sessions I think anyway.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Eopia posted:

Mind linking it? I have no idea what thread you're talking about or even what website to find it on.
it's on reddit. I've found the stat growt of all classes, requirements of all squad missions etc and it's been posted in some form here or is in the spreadsheet
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/557vnx/confused_about_adventurer_squadrons_heres_what_we/

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, you can keep giving your squad 3 balanced training exercise a day for xp so you should still do those if you don't need one of the other ones to modify group stats.

I haven't run the promotion mission yet, but since I have no combination of members that can quite meet the requirements, my best guess is to find a group that is *close*, and then use a training exercise to modify the group stats in order to barely push them over. Since they only gain 2 points total when they level up, grinding out the mission requirements entirely by leveling them up will take forever.

Also, the challenge log RNG for getting new members seems really weird. After 19 challenges completed, I have five new recruits, but a friend of mine has done 8 (after being sent off to do challenges by the sergeant) and hasn't even gotten Cecily yet.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 1, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

well, I found something interesting in the game files. it looks like there's a "leeway" parameter for each individual stat (physical, mental, tactical), which is currently set to 20 for all missions EXCEPT the rankup missions (of which there are three). Whether that 20 is 20% (20% below the required stats) or 20 flat value (for a total of 60, split 20/20/20 between the stats) or not, I can't tell yet. The priority and flagged missions (for rankups) do not have this value at all, so it might be that it 100% requires you do be above the stats before you can even have a chance to complete them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess that means I should cancel my deployment and do the level 15 one for more likely success.

Thundarr posted:

Also, the challenge log RNG for getting new members seems really weird. After 19 challenges completed, I have five new recruits, but a friend of mine has done 8 (after being sent off to do challenges by the sergeant) and hasn't even gotten Cecily yet.

It's a little too unforgiving for when you have little to no recruits. There really ought to be a grace % for when you're unable to properly run.

Say, your first 3 challenges are 100% chances and they will give you a second healer character.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 1, 2016

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm gonna let the one I sent out fail to verify

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I probably would have if it didn't have 12 hours left, but that's a lot of time that can go towards one likely to succeed.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Small update, I realized you could keep training your guys past 20 before turning in last night and got my guys to 22 and could now do the level 20 mission. Sent them out on it before I went to bed so I'll report on what happens after they get back in a few hours. The big confusion for me was every time I'd done the training previously all my guys got a level up but when I made my last post it only showed my under-20 members levelling up. Just turned out that one training isn't enough to level them up post-20 anymore and when I went to do the next one they were all bumped to 21-22.

EDIT: And about the 'leeway', that's definitely a thing. The first mission I sent my guys on was the level 5 one after only a few training missions and at least one of the stats I had was slightly below the required ones and they still passed it. I tried the level 15 one the next day but they failed, so it's not a guarantee, though.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
a friend of mine basically came back for 3.4 and we did potd 1-10

"what's that rare haircut you were talking about? i got something called samsonian locks"

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Office Surprise Store posted:

a friend of mine basically came back for 3.4 and we did potd 1-10

"what's that rare haircut you were talking about? i got something called samsonian locks"

spamming 1-10 really is the best way to farm that. getting it myself probably took ~10 runs usually getting 1-2 hoards per run, 3 if I was really lucky. of course I've heard the usual horror stories so ymmv

in other news gently caress sophia "clear" parties forever, that's like ultra hell of watching people sail off the arena and compete for high scores of vuln stacks. so glad I never have to do that poo poo again and can now experience the same thing only now with the much more prestigious title of "farm" parties

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's complete and utter RNG. I think getting the Haircut at all is a miracle, not really something you can aim for in a realistic time frame. I've done a good 15 1-10's and the most valuable thing I got was a Strength Materia V.

e: I do like that the falconer set is on the loot list, so I could get the boots for 10k instead of the 500k the MB was asking for last week

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 1, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quick PLD question: if you're OTing and the MT is a WAR or DRK, should you still keep up Rage of Halone, or just focus full-time on damage?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quick PLD question: if you're OTing and the MT is a WAR or DRK, should you still keep up Rage of Halone, or just focus full-time on damage?

I don't see any reason not to keep up the STR Debuff, since you know that means less damage to the MT which means less healing which means more Healer DPS.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't see any reason not to keep up the STR Debuff, since you know that means less damage to the MT which means less healing which means more Healer DPS.

It's a pretty insignificant damage reduction, and only to physical attacks. Meanwhile, you're doing less damage and also causing more threat, which means the main tank has to compensate (very bad if the MT is a DRK).

Don't bother with rage of halone at all unless you need to build threat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Game's crashing constantly since 3.4. Tried DX9 and DX11 both and my graphics card drivers are up to date. Google's got nothing, thoughts?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a pretty insignificant damage reduction, and only to physical attacks. Meanwhile, you're doing less damage and also causing more threat, which means the main tank has to compensate (very bad if the MT is a DRK).

Don't bother with rage of halone at all unless you need to build threat.

It's a 10% STR Debuff. That's 10% less auto attack damage and any physical attacks the boss has. I doubt weaving in a Rage of Halone combo in every third combo or so would really pull enough hate from the MT to be noticeable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Game's crashing constantly since 3.4. Tried DX9 and DX11 both and my graphics card drivers are up to date. Google's got nothing, thoughts?

Can you roll back your GPU drivers? See if it's something related to an incompatibility? Worth a try at the least.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can you roll back your GPU drivers? See if it's something related to an incompatibility? Worth a try at the least.
Yeah, I'll give it a shot.

It was reproducible last night by opening a shop NPC menu, but now that doesn't do it anymore. Weird.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

It's a 10% STR Debuff. That's 10% less auto attack damage and any physical attacks the boss has. I doubt weaving in a Rage of Halone combo in every third combo or so would really pull enough hate from the MT to be noticeable.

90% of the time, the tank taking less damage doesn't translate to more healer dps, but rather to more overhealing. Especially when it's such a small reduction.

And yes, if the main tank is a dark knight, then a ROH on every third combo is a pretty big deal. Also consider that you'll already be using savage blade on 2/3 of your combos. Dark knights don't have any extra enmity in their dps combos, so offtank threat translates to less dps for DRK MTs. This is doubly bad because ROH is less damage than royal authority, so you're losing offtank AND main tank dps.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

90% of the time, the tank taking less damage doesn't translate to more healer dps, but rather to more overhealing.

Not when I'm healing :getin:

Seriously, unless you're dying, best I've got for you is Regen. Maybe Divine Seal if I'm really interested in ignoring you for a minute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're not in my Asylum, you're not getting healed ever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

90% of the time, the tank taking less damage doesn't translate to more healer dps, but rather to more overhealing. Especially when it's such a small reduction

Well, yes, I guess it's my fault for assuming competence. :v:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cubeland is coming along nicely.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I haven't been playing this game (again) for long but it still kind of blows me away how much emphasis is placed on healer and tank dps. At least in this thread, I guess - no one's given me any guff in light parties or trials for anything I do as AST even when I get super lazy. Is raid damage so undertuned that healers have that much downtime? Is top healer/tank dps that close to the actual dps's dps? Are enrage timers so tight that healer/tank dps must make up the difference? Why is it a thing?

I'm not really invested either way, it's just curious coming from WoW where healers and tanks might at most do half the lowest dps and no one really cares.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

UHD posted:

I haven't been playing this game (again) for long but it still kind of blows me away how much emphasis is placed on healer and tank dps. At least in this thread, I guess - no one's given me any guff in light parties or trials for anything I do as AST even when I get super lazy. Is raid damage so undertuned that healers have that much downtime? Is top healer/tank dps that close to the actual dps's dps? Are enrage timers so tight that healer/tank dps must make up the difference? Why is it a thing?

I'm not really invested either way, it's just curious coming from WoW where healers and tanks might at most do half the lowest dps and no one really cares.

I mean, any complaint or suggestion about dps is regulated to the highest 1% of content. No one cares in WoW the same as it matters in most of FF14. It's only when people don't know instant death mechanics that get annoying.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I generally don't care about healer dps in dungeons right up until the moment I see the lazy healer pulling off poo poo like running around and jumping or spamming emotes because they have nothing to do.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i've levelled up WHM and SCH to 50 recently and my healer problem is that I want to be the cool dps healer too badly and sometimes i forget to heal

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i had a clear group that got to 5% on sophia within 5 runs then disbanded because the healer wasn't precasting medica 2

and the only group i've gotten since then has featured my OT refusing to pick up the first and third demiurges, even as I tell him I am picking up the second, while 4 dudes on discord take audible bong rips and poo poo talk everyone in the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Healer DPS were mandatory to complete the harder levels of content, Healer gear would have/Cleric Stance would give enough accuracy so that you don't need to meld Acc constantly. If you're in a world first race, sure, you're going to have to DPS and Heal your rear end off. In 99% of the rest of the content, it's just nice to have a healer who is confident to heal, to help relax DPS checks or whatever.

• Locked thread