Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

L_Harrison posted:

http://www.target.com/p/forza-horiz...gt_adv_xasd0002

So Target has FH3 for $19.99. Countdown until takedown in 3 ... 2 ...

Well if now own horizon 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Games so pretty at times, love driving around the city in the rain. Also the 22 sounds loving amazing.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAA, if you have the fps counter on, it puts it into photo mode, wtf devs.

Keket fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 1, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I missed that $20 mess up on Target.com. Apparently by just minutes.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I r salt

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Apparently support for Fanatec wheels has been patched into F6 and FH3:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst70330_FH3----Currently-Supported-Wheels.aspx

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Finally started playing this yesterday and unlocked the club stuff today. Are there any benefits to us having all of these randos in GRRC (xp, bonuses, whatever) or are we planning on purging the non-goons at some point?

Just curious since I was going to use the club roster to add/follow the new Forza goons who weren't already on my friend list, but now I need to actually put in effort to find the GTs.

I made a beeline to the perk that let's you buy wheel spins. The first 10 spins I bought netted me $700k worth of credits and cars, so good call on that whoever pointed it out earlier.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BCRock posted:

Are there any benefits to us having all of these randos in GRRC (xp, bonuses, whatever) or are we planning on purging the non-goons at some point?
*puts on serious hat*
Those things aren't really related. The only benefits are a) more member XP ranks the club higher but that doesn't actually provide any tangible benefit that I know of, and b) there are that many more people to race with, and game with, and compete against; which I argue is a tangible benefit.

There are possible drawbacks as well; but the goon group self-identifies as "comical mischief," so it makes sense that if it's comical in the broad sense it's fair game.

I would hope that in extreme cases we'd be willing to take action if individuals were intentionally antagonistic to a degree that it becomes untenable. To that end I encourage anyone with a real issue to bring it to our attention.
As for anyone who's already high on my own poo poo list, they're perfectly safe from me as long as they play nice with me in-game (this applies to FH3/GRRC.)

That said, none of the above has anything to do with one's goon-ness. I have a friend who is finally (maybe?) going to play a Forza game and I want him to feel free to join GRRC and have a good time learning cars, tuning, and racing with the assistance and example of goons, even though he has never been nor will he ever be a forums member. We keep different hours due to our jobs so I can't be there as often as I'd like to show him the ropes and play co-op and other multi-player fun.
There are many goons I trust who can.

In closing, Australia is a land of contrasts. G'Day!
*takes off serious hat*

I really wish I had more time to play. I want to climb the club ladder, too! Hopefully it will be easier once I get weekends off and don't have this awful Friday night/Saturday morning turn-around to deal with. I hate it. I haven't even tried online/multi-player at all. :(

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

justbread posted:

Apparently support for Fanatec wheels has been patched into F6 and FH3:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst70330_FH3----Currently-Supported-Wheels.aspx

heres to hoping they add support for the th8a and the csw pedals, and also multi usb device support so im not crying in my beer like spintires.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I notice they specifically mention Fanatec CSW v2 with Xbone hub. I hope that's just for Xbone and the base works on windows with whatever wheel.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone else run into an issue where the brakes on a car randomly stop working?

I've had several instances where pressing the left trigger results in almost zero braking (despite no brake damage, and the telemetry registering 100% brake application), regardless of the ABS setting, but it seems to go away once I swap to a different car, although I've had to install a different brake upgrade to resolve the problem on one occasion.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I bought a Humvee and...er...

Also convoys are really rather fun for just random driving around the place with AI friends. Managed to convoy up some nice looking cars yesterday and travel about :

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ok I give up; can someone please explain how I'm supposed to drift through challenge zones? My drifting ability consists of taking an AWD down the highway and throwing it sideways with the e-brake, but while that can net you 40k+ points it can only do so in a straight line.

great Public Enemy reference

WMain00 posted:

I bought a Humvee and...er...
Look for "SHODAN 0x47" and download the S-class tune, though their Vandura and Willby tunes are better.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cubey posted:

i like that you are so blind to the reason people care about the car models being wrong. hint: it wasn't an issue anyone cared about at all until forza 5. i'll let you figure out why that is~

Hint: this is a video game, not a design reference, and if future civilizations have to use this to recreate the 1988 MR2 with slightly more oblong parking lights than they actually had in 1988, I don't know that anyone will ever give a single gently caress. ~~~~~

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i for one am LIVID that I cannot recreate copper red in game, LIVID

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just bought the game; add me on live: ratbert90

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

*puts on serious hat*
Those things aren't really related. The only benefits are a) more member XP ranks the club higher but that doesn't actually provide any tangible benefit that I know of, and b) there are that many more people to race with, and game with, and compete against; which I argue is a tangible benefit.

There are possible drawbacks as well; but the goon group self-identifies as "comical mischief," so it makes sense that if it's comical in the broad sense it's fair game.

I would hope that in extreme cases we'd be willing to take action if individuals were intentionally antagonistic to a degree that it becomes untenable. To that end I encourage anyone with a real issue to bring it to our attention.
As for anyone who's already high on my own poo poo list, they're perfectly safe from me as long as they play nice with me in-game (this applies to FH3/GRRC.)

That said, none of the above has anything to do with one's goon-ness. I have a friend who is finally (maybe?) going to play a Forza game and I want him to feel free to join GRRC and have a good time learning cars, tuning, and racing with the assistance and example of goons, even though he has never been nor will he ever be a forums member. We keep different hours due to our jobs so I can't be there as often as I'd like to show him the ropes and play co-op and other multi-player fun.
There are many goons I trust who can.

In closing, Australia is a land of contrasts. G'Day!
*takes off serious hat*

I really wish I had more time to play. I want to climb the club ladder, too! Hopefully it will be easier once I get weekends off and don't have this awful Friday night/Saturday morning turn-around to deal with. I hate it. I haven't even tried online/multi-player at all. :(

Yeah, pretty much this. Tell all your friends to join up, and if anyone manages to actually be a big jerk, go ahead and kick them, I don't care.

I don't know that there's any benefit/drawbacks to having a big roster other than not needing to friend someone to get in, so I'm not really concerned about it until there's a reason to be. That said, as soon as someone notices there IS a reason to give a poo poo, please let us know so we can take care of it.

Shumagorath posted:

Ok I give up; can someone please explain how I'm supposed to drift through challenge zones? My drifting ability consists of taking an AWD down the highway and throwing it sideways with the e-brake, but while that can net you 40k+ points it can only do so in a straight line.

Good question. I can't do them for poo poo, and I considered hiring someone to do all the drift related stuff for me :mad:

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Shumagorath posted:

Look for "SHODAN 0x47" and download the S-class tune, though their Vandura and Willby tunes are better.

Don't use an AWD car? It's there a reason you aren't using a RWD car?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Thanks, :tipshat:

My favorite photos are now when I nearly flip my car over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hint: this is a video game, not a design reference, and if future civilizations have to use this to recreate the 1988 MR2 with slightly more oblong parking lights than they actually had in 1988, I don't know that anyone will ever give a single gently caress. ~~~~~

lol you still don't get it :allears:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
care to explain to somebody who fh3 is their first forza game???

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

care to explain to somebody who fh3 is their first forza game???

yeah cubey is literally insane

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
turn left thread noooo

edit actual content: I've seen some drivatars using some Horizon Edition cars that can't be had yet, like a Mini Cooper and a BAC Mono. Wonder when those will be available.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Turn 10 claimed they laser scanned every car or whatever but that's clearly not true as there are several cars that have totally wrong details that are from Forza 2.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fix the polygons, turn 10.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
fair answer, thank u coja my friend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Forza is the best racing series of all time forever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

Turn 10 claimed they laser scanned every car or whatever but that's clearly not true as there are several cars that have totally wrong details that are from Forza 2.

it's more that they said this and then removed half the cars in forza 5 with the excuse of only keeping cars that were up to the highest standards, while at the same time keeping in models that were pretty obviously flawed to people who really liked that car and had been so since forza 2. then they sold you a bunch of those removed cars. it was a move motivated entirely by greed and their 'quality' excuse was complete horse poo poo to anyone who took a cursory glance at all the flawed models they'd been using since forza 2 that were still in 5.

personally i'll take more cars in exchange for a few of them having flaws. it's why i never bitched about things like the r32 and 22b in forza 3 and 4, something that other forza goons did do. if they'd just carried forward all the cars from 4 to 5, flaws and all, nobody would have cared. if they'd only dropped models that were hosed up so that they could re-do them, nobody would have cared. instead they tried pulling this smoke-and-mirrors poo poo to justify re-selling you old content.

I said come in! posted:

Forza is the best racing series of all time forever.

it is pretty fuckin awesome but let's be real here, it isn't san francisco rush.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Cojawfee posted:

On older cars they have to borrow a restoration. Some of the errors are due to the owners own mistakes when rebuilding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

On older cars they have to borrow a restoration. Some of the errors are due to the owners own mistakes when rebuilding.

I don't know about that. The only one I can remember is some Subaru that had the wrong shape tail lights that never got fixed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know about that. The only one I can remember is some Subaru that had the wrong shape tail lights that never got fixed.

the r32's front end geometry is completely wrong, the c6 is a little off, the front end of the sw20 is also off though not nearly as noticeably so as the r32 or the 22b. on that note, if they removed the sw20 from fh3 to re-do the model, then cool i suppose. i can't think of any other reason to remove a pretty well-loved car with a large following while keeping in weird obscurities nobody really cares about like the svx (full disclosure: i fuckin love the svx and am glad it's in there, just using it as an example).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Cubey posted:

it is pretty fuckin awesome but let's be real here, it isn't san francisco rush Race Drivin'.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Cojawfee posted:

Im not saying they dont gently caress up and im definitely not saying they aren't greedy, but good luck finding a pristine tuner car from the 80's or 90's to scan.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Cubey posted:

the r32's front end geometry is completely wrong, the c6 is a little off, the front end of the sw20 is also off though not nearly as noticeably so as the r32 or the 22b. on that note, if they removed the sw20 from fh3 to re-do the model, then cool i suppose. i can't think of any other reason to remove a pretty well-loved car with a large following while keeping in weird obscurities nobody really cares about like the svx (full disclosure: i fuckin love the svx and am glad it's in there, just using it as an example).

There's also some car that is basically undrivable from the cabin with damage modelling on because anything that damages the front end causes the hood to block the view of the road.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

After playing a dumb amount of the earlier Forza games, i finally got an Xbone cause they had em marked down to $230, with Forza 6 and Horizon 3 included. I think I actually liked Horizon 1 the most of the 360 games, and i gotta say FH3 is super good.

Its a little slow to get started, but once you get to level 15ish, you reach that Horizon 1 level of 'too much cool stuff to do' syndrome. That is my review. hope u liked it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Atmus posted:

There's also some car that is basically undrivable from the cabin with damage modelling on because anything that damages the front end causes the hood to block the view of the road.

lotus esprit! actually that car is only barely driveable from the interior even without any damage if you have a rollcage.

Cygni posted:

After playing a dumb amount of the earlier Forza games, i finally got an Xbone cause they had em marked down to $230, with Forza 6 and Horizon 3 included. I think I actually liked Horizon 1 the most of the 360 games, and i gotta say FH3 is super good.

Its a little slow to get started, but once you get to level 15ish, you reach that Horizon 1 level of 'too much cool stuff to do' syndrome. That is my review. hope u liked it.

if you really want to overload yourself with poo poo to do, keep upgrading the same horizon hub over and over instead of spreading it out. i did this with the outback hub and sweet lord there is a lot of poo poo to do there now.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 1, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Cubey posted:

the r32's front end geometry is completely wrong

The R32 is my favorite car in the game and I haven't even noticed this despite driving it in most "serious" A/B class races. Just gotta love them taillights and the only other view I get from it is in 3rd person or the side doors.

Shumagorath posted:

General Probe posted:

Don't use an AWD car? It's there a reason you aren't using a RWD car?

Yeah AWD cars aren't the easiest to drift with because when you floor it the car will naturally straighten itself out more often than not. This makes extended drifts harder than simple short bursts of powersliding.

RWD is preferred for drifting. They naturally spin out more easily when you push them too hard. The trick is to find that line where you start going sideways and from there you actually use the gas pedal to steer more so than the wheel if your entry is good. More gas = more turn unless your entry isn't aggressive enough. The perfect place to be is at the right speed/angle that allows you to just hammer down and purely accelerate through whatever curve you're in. Ease back when it starts to spin out beyond the point of control. If it starts to understeer then you need to work on your approach. There are many ways to initiate a drift and they tend to determine how/what you're supposed to do when sliding. It's something you just have to practice a lot to figure out and get a feel for.

edit: as you figure things out, try to take little mental notes - it'll help a lot.

After a while you'll build up a sort of playbook of how to handle each situation. There will generally be traffic driving through your competitive drift zones. In some of them you need to learn to adapt to this mid-drift in order to get 3 stars.

One amazing thing about this game is the instant rewind ability. Whenever something goes wrong, USE it to approach the same situation with a different technique until you find something that works. Eventually you won't need it anymore and will probably be ready for tandem drift fun :snoop:

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
To help with the drifting thing/chime in, 85% accel 75% decel on the diff, stiffen the suspension and everything else up keeping roughly the same ratio as stock, give yourself some front camber (-2.5 - 3 or around there).

Also switch to manual + clutch, (left bumper) as not only will you get more money from races, but it allows you to clutch kick the back end free, basically revving high then dropping the clutch to let the sudden accel break the rear tires free, using the clutch can also help when trying to transition from a left hand turn to a right hand turn.

Car wise use whatever front engine rwd car you want, oh and upgrade the tire compound last, if you find yourself sliding out/not having enough speed upgrade the compound, too high and you'll just grip every time you try to transition directions, too little and it'll be like spinning the rears on ice.

I have a Subaru brat that's fun as hell to slide around.

EDIT: Don't buy tunes, drift cars are ridiculously easy to tune but fall way more into the personal preference area over grip tunes and stuff.

Keket fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 1, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I don't trust a random cartoon videogame player to tune any presets to my liking.

The best thing to do is learn to drift the car stock if it is RWD. From there you can tune it yourself in ways that are actually significant to your personal style.

Keket posted:

Bring it, bitch. I think I'm top of all the zones I've discovered so far.
(I have you on steam right? We should play together)

btw, this happened last night:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Get your loving microphone set up so we can shout at each other, you douche.

(Also log into steam so I know when you're playing, microsofts friend thing is confusing as gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cojawfee posted:

I notice they specifically mention Fanatec CSW v2 with Xbone hub. I hope that's just for Xbone and the base works on windows with whatever wheel.

The Xbox One has always worked with the CSW and Xbox One hub.

• Locked thread