Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I love how every time someone references how crazy it is to have superheroes there's always a a mention of a guy carrying a hammer, as if that's the weirdest thing they've seen out of all the Marvel nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Luke Cage lives in a world of color. 95 percent of the casting are persons of color in fact the first two white people you see are immoral bad guys. In fact I think there are 3 white people who speak in the entire series.

The opening scroll shows Malcolm X BLvd not once but twice.

This show has a lot to say maybe you are not listening if you say that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Luke Cage lives in a world of color. 95 percent of the casting after persons of color in fact the first two white people you see are immoral bad guys.

This struck me, to the point that I actually wondered if making Shades, like, the one prominent white guy in the show was a deliberate inversion of the super villain's right-hand man always being a minority. I thought maybe I was reading too much into things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

i am the bird posted:

I love how every time someone references how crazy it is to have superheroes there's always a a mention of a guy carrying a hammer, as if that's the weirdest thing they've seen out of all the Marvel nonsense.

I absolutely adore the bit in episode 5 where Cottonmouth is giving his eulogy, and casually slips in a reference to 'arcane abilities'. Out of context it sounds like he's a conspiracy theorist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skippy McPants posted:

This struck me, to the point that I actually wondered if making Shades, like, the one prominent white guy in the show was a deliberate inversion of the super villain's right-hand man always being a minority. I thought maybe I was reading too much into things.

Shades being a white guy is debatable, he's Latino.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Managed to finish the show. Good overall, but the plot and writing are very so-so, which makes the villains likewise, and the pacing and plot logic aren't great.

The show really shines when it comes to the characters, which I also feel is a very important point of emphasis for the writers. The cinematography is probably the worst of the three Marvel shows. I found ------------Shades----------- to be pretty compelling by the end, though.

There's also no coda trailer for another show as far as I can tell? Did they just not have time to show something from Iron Fist?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 9 & 10: Boy it sure was convenient they found the doctor who did the experiments at Seagate. And he was willing to help. And he happened to have a science lab in his garage in the middle of the woods.

also

Radio! posted:

Just finished this and it was great (as usual) but I had a real problem suspending my disbelief at the fact that the crowd at a protest for a black boy beaten by police agreed with Mariah's call to give the cops more guns.

e: Shades owns. "Whatcha talking 'bout Willis?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 1, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There'll probably a clip or a trailer or something in a week or so at the NYCC panel for Iron Fist.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

There'll probably a clip or a trailer or something in a week or so at the NYCC panel for Iron Fist.
Ah, that might be it. It's just very un-Marvel of them.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Ep9 or 10: not really a spoiler but just in case

So Diamondback puts on a relevantly themed song for one of his monologues. That song is later sampled by Cypress Hill.

I was really confused why Diamondback was going to wax evil to "Hits from the Bong" until I realized what it was.

Also yeah, Shades is just a great character. I mean he's a repugnant bastard who does horrible things, but I like the chemistry he has with the cast. Especially the implied sexual tension between him and Mariah.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radio! posted:

Just finished this and it was great (as usual) but I had a real problem suspending my disbelief at the fact that 1x10 the crowd at a protest for a black boy beaten by police agreed with Mariah's call to give the cops more guns.

Yeah, I just got there and it felt incredibly tone deaf. 1x10 Literally no one brings up that then cops will just start shooting everyone who vaguely matches the description of the suspect just like they immediately harassed everyone while looking for information on who killed a cop? Also, really surprised that one cop who put Lonnie in the hospital wasn't on a criminal payroll. I was totally expecting him to have been planted like Scarfe and that other cop. I did like the detail of that one cop emptying his entire clip into Luke's back despite the other officer being in the line of fire, back in episode 9 I believe.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Series is boring. Dialogue sucks, too many minor characters asking questions and overelabarating to appear witty. Character motivations are poor. It is like Colter is playing a different Luke Cage from the JJ series. Cheesy as all hell, I began fast forwarding through every scene featuring more than one cop in it. I was psyched for Luke Cage. How is anyone enjoying this?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eps 1-13 Diamondback was a bad villain and their fight in the streets was really dumb and cheesy. His ridiculous suit did not help me take the situation seriously. Diamondback and Cottonmouth are gone, but Mariah and Shades are running things now and they are actually able to work together so that makes them even worse for Harlem. Also there is a power vacuum since Diamondback killed all the other gang leaders. At least Shades finally got a boss who is competent :3:

I wish Luke's powers were more consistent. Sometimes he can survive a rocket explosion or stop an SUV without moving an millimeter, but he can be pushed over by Diamondback while they were fighting in the theater? A shotgun blast gives him brain swelling and a concussion but being caught in a rocket blast does nothing to him? I did laugh when Diamondback hit him in the balls and it worked.

Eps 1-7 were really good. Then it dipped hard and never recovered. Show suffered a bit from being 13 eps when it could have been 10. But it was still better than JJ and DD s2.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I really liked the first 7 episodes, in fact it felt like the season was ending right there and I was kind of confused because I expected more episodes but it felt like there wouldn't be any. The show really fizzled in the back half. Shades, Mariah and her toady minion are great.

What was Scarfe's motivation for being a corrupt gently caress? He was a genuinely great partner for Misty, didn't need the money, and didn't spend what he already had anyway. Losing his son clearly broke him but it doesn't explain the heel turn. He seemed to enjoy being a player but why try to hit up an unstable gangster for an extra hundred g's after the gun job was already done? He was a good character, and well-acted, but it's annoying that his actions seemed to arbitrarily suit the plot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Filthy Hans posted:

What was Scarfe's motivation for being a corrupt gently caress? He was a genuinely great partner for Misty, didn't need the money, and didn't spend what he already had anyway. Losing his son clearly broke him but it doesn't explain the heel turn. He seemed to enjoy being a player but why try to hit up an unstable gangster for an extra hundred g's after the gun job was already done? He was a good character, and well-acted, but it's annoying that his actions seemed to arbitrarily suit the plot.

Also the other corrupt cop who tried to shoot Misty in her car but is never mentioned again. I bet he could have testified against Cottonmouth or at least been a loose end to have been murdered. But nope I guess the writers just forgot.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Not going to spoiler this, since I don't think it's a spoiler really. Luke Cage did the weird thing where they mentioned Obama. They didn't call him president though, they just said "Obama" so there's still wiggle room. I believe at some other point in the MCU there was a reference to President Obama too. Him being the first black president is a huge deal historically, so it would be weird to just pretend he never happened, even in the MCU. I guess maybe he could have been a one-term president and then Ellis got elected after people blamed Obama for not properly protecting the world for the New York invasion or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Teek posted:

I guess maybe he could have been a one-term president and then Ellis got elected after people blamed Obama for not properly protecting the world for the New York invasion or something.

Wow that'd have been even dumber than the birther movement.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
After the Invasion, I have a feeling basically every Reptoid alien conspiracy just got a whole lot more believers. Could Obama be a Skrull?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Steve2911 posted:

Wow that'd have been even dumber than the birther movement.

The worst part is it would probably happen.

Episode 12 Diamondback was a poo poo villain but it was absolutely worth it for his entrance at the end of 12 in his goddamned "power suit"

"What the hell? What type of Jean Paul Gaultier poo poo is this? What are you, a pimp stormtrooper?"

"No, I'm the angel of death.":smug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Speaking of messages and persons of color I'm like 90 percent sure that they recalibrated the actual physical cameras to darker skin tones.

There's been a issue in photography for years about calibration for color being made with white skin tones and highlights.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Speaking of messages and persons of color I'm like 90 percent sure that they recalibrated the actual physical cameras to darker skin tones.

There's been a issue in photography for years about calibration for color being made with white skin tones and highlights.
No doubt about it. That said, the cinematography for Marvel's TV shows is usually best in class.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Finished the series, really liked it. Loved Colters delivery of his lines when he was being laid back and humble.

1x13
Shades as a henchman was good too, as was his coming out on top at the end in my opinion. I'm enjoying how Netflix's shows focus as much on the mundane aspect of "You can't just punch your way to victory" aspect of law and order by making legality and the regular police such a part of the core structure.

I also didn't like the final fight much, but I can respect the concept that they wanted it to be a public fight in the middle of the street. I wish the costume and choreography had been better at least. Character motivations aside I would have been ok with it as long as it was more vicious of a scuffle.

Do we have a more concrete timeline for Iron Fist/Defenders/DD s3? Most of the articles I've read are vague or outdated.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It reminds me of The Lies of Locke Lamora which features the hero getting blackmailed into posing as a supernatural crime boss who's tame wizard enchants him such that "no blade shall pierce his skin"

He then gets beaten roundly with clubs, stuffed in a barrel and dropped in a sewer.

Locke Lamora was pretty good and I loved that scene.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Series is boring. Dialogue sucks, too many minor characters asking questions and overelabarating to appear witty. Character motivations are poor. It is like Colter is playing a different Luke Cage from the JJ series. Cheesy as all hell, I began fast forwarding through every scene featuring more than one cop in it. I was psyched for Luke Cage. How is anyone enjoying this?

Does it get more interesting? We watched 3 episodes last night and were pretty bored. I almost fell asleep.

The most interesting scene was when the white tweaker guy takes off his sunglasses to look into Cottonmouth's eyes. Dude's eyes were creepy black and it made him kinda menacing. But then there's a flashback scene with Pops, and it's revealed that white dude is just some random punk kid -- so there goes the only character where I slightly felt like he posed a threat.

So far, any scene that Luke Cage is in I feel no suspense. He doesn't seem vulnerable or flawed, nothing seems like an actual threat to him, and it's pretty boring.

I've found both seasons of Daredevil to be outstanding. I thought Jessica Jones was good, but it had pacing problems. My barometer for what makes a good show is the feeling after an episode ends, where you're like "holy poo poo I have to watch the next episode, I can't wait to see what happens!"

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

How are you not enjoying it? It's the best out of the three series they have produced yet. Maybe you aren't a fan of the blaxplotation feel?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gordong Dongbay posted:

How are you not enjoying it? It's the best out of the three series they have produced yet. Maybe you aren't a fan of the blaxplotation feel?

I got through the first episode and I can't even begin the second.

Because Netflix is down.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought that show was p. good. Probably less riveting than JJ and DD because it didn't have freaky tense central villains like Dr. Who and Kingpin, or any sweet bells and whistles like the Punisher or cool kung fu fights. Strongest parts were definitely the tone and the supporting cast.

I loved the supporting cast in general. Misty's great. Cottonmouth's great. Mariah's great. Shades is great. Rosario Dawson's great, and arguably the most heroic character in this trio of shows (She has two All Star Superman lines in this show in particular, which is 2 more than Henry Cavill has gotten to say in two Superman movies).

Honestly Luke and Diamondback were the least amusing. Diamondback was a corny action movie villain in a neo-noir crime drama, and Luke Cage was just... I mean he's not bad, but the whole "I'm just a guy/I don't want no trouble/Gotta avoid the spotlight" schtick makes my eyes roll so hard they burn my eyelids. I realize that the character was in a lot of ways a gestalt of blaxploitation movie cliches when he was created, and as such he was a angry, showboating dude, and that the modern depictions are more nuanced for a reason but...

gently caress nuance, I guess is what I'm saying, if it's boring. This Luke Cage bores me. Looking forward to seeing Misty and Iron Fist interact more than cranky dad Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 1, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

It's the best out of the three series they have produced yet.

I'm enjoying it but that is definitely not true.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought that show was p. good. Probably less riveting than JJ and DD because it didn't have freaky tense central villains like Dr. Who and Kingpin, or any sweet bells and whistles like the Punisher or cool kung fu fights

I loved the supporting cast in general. Misty's great. Cottonmouth's great. Mariah's great. Shades is great. Rosario Dawson's great, and arguably the most heroic character in this trio of shows (She has two All Star Superman lines in this show in particular, which is 2 more than Henry Cavill has gotten to say in two Superman movies).

Honestly Luke and Diamondback were the least amusing. Diamondback was a corny action movie villain in a neo-noir crime drama, and Luke Cage was just... I mean he's not bad, but the whole "I'm just a guy/I don't want no trouble/Gotta avoid the spotlight" schtick makes my eyes roll so hard they burn my eyelids. I realize that the character was in a lot of ways a gestalt of blaxploitation movie cliches when he was created, and as such he was a angry, showboating dude, and that the modern depictions are more nuanced for a reason but...

gently caress nuance, I guess is what I'm saying, if it's boring. This Luke Cage bores me. Looking forward to seeing Misty and Iron Fist interact more than cranky dad Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

A guy who keeps his cool, doesn't do lots of stupid self sabotaging poo poo, is utterly relentless, and is a bedrock of stability is a really nice change from the typical Marvel protagonist. Luke is at least something different. :v:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Of course I just start the finale and Netflix is down now.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

It definitely is, man.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Luke Cage is different as well because he's not really a self pitying person and is shown to have some at least emotional maturity where as most Marvel Characters seem to have the emotional maturity of a child. He gets over poo poo. He just wants to live his life.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Steve2911 posted:

Koalas March posted:

It definitely is, man.

I enjoyed Jessica Jones the most.
To each their own, let's just agree on Daredevil S2 being a hot mess.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Luke Cage tv series is the polar opposite of Blacksploitation. Whole series spoilers Diamondback is the only exploitative element of Blacksploitation and it's played almost for laughs how loving ridiculous his poo poo is Shades straight up calls him a idiot and that his plans are stupid. Like everyone around him is like "You are dumb". Hes a over the top black villain from the 70s and is played as such. I dunno if people picked up on that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 1, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I enjoyed Jessica Jones the most.
To each their own, let's just agree on Daredevil S2 being a hot mess.

Daredevil S2 was two halves of two separate seasons glued together, and suffered badly for it.

Just taken on their own, Daredevil S2 episodes one through four are the best television Marvel's produced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Another great example of the show being the opposite of exploitative Minor Full Season Spoilers Misty Knights commander, a black woman IA?, is portrayed as knowning Mariah , but she doesn't choose that hill to die on and as the evidence mounts up she has a complete reversal and is a completely rationale person through out the series. When Misty roughs up someone in interrogation they make a point to specifically deal with her emotional trauma. Like when have you ever seen that reaction other than maybe The Wire. Every one of her actions is completely 100% rationale where as all the men around her are potrayed as emotional hot messes

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.
The first half of the season was good, the second was not. Luke Cage was far more interesting in Jessica Jones.. Misty Knight was fantastic. Maybe a bit too many cameos from minor characters from the other Marvel shows. They did a great job world building with Harlem, though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Daredevil S2 was two halves of two separate seasons glued together, and suffered badly for it.

Just taken on their own, Daredevil S2 episodes one through four are the best television Marvel's produced.

It's a Netflix show, it wouldn't be fair to judge its individual episodes when these shows are literally made to be binge-watched in the first 5-7 days after the release :v:

juche
Jul 11, 2016

OnimaruXLR posted:

This pretty much. I also hated how it was so obviously ABC produced.

It feels like these shows are being processed through a drag and drop create-a-script program. The studios realize there's a growing audience for a more thoughtful action show, but they are all doing the same thing. Most of the show is about the philosophy of justice, especially from the lens of political science. Where should we linger on the scale of anarchism to statism? What is our individual accountability to society? How should we react to being a victim of something while still remaining moral? These are great questions, and it's cool to see super hero shows tackling them with more grace, but it feels like Marvel's letting their shows get too indulgent in it. This is a really personal opinion, but I loved how stories like The Stranger and 1984 handled their most profound questions. They each had special moments of intense exploration of their ideas--The Stranger when the main character was in jail talking to the priest, and 1984 during Wintson's interrogation with O'Brien. The rest of the stories dabbled in it, but it was background compared to the story actually moving forward. Luke Cage, and the other new Marvel shows seem like they've flipped that dynamic on its head.

Luke Cage was boring. The way this show was answering those questions was the exact same way Daredevil did. Daredevil also spent too much time figuring itself out. Netflix/Marvel/ABC should realize the audience of one show is going to have heavy overlap with their others. If watching Murdock trudge through this stuff was already getting on people's nerves, why do it again with Luke Cage, especially if the answers are pretty much the same? Even realizing how important covering some of the philosophy that was in Luke Cage is, I feel like they spent way too much time doing it. People watch these shows to see cool poo poo, there was far too little of that.

ABC also uses the same loving people for the same loving roles in almost every one of their shows, and the actors aren't even that good. The casting overlap is too much, it just adds to the feel of all of their shows being fill in the blank scripts with a little extra flavor. Scarfe for example, was almost the same dude he was in Blacklist, who I'm sure I've seen play an equally greasy-seedy role before in another show.

I find it hard to say Luke Cage was bad, because I think the underlying formula for the show is good. If I had seen Luke Cage before Daredevil I'd probably think Daredevil is boring like I do Luke Cage. Though, the fact that these shows are so interchangeable shows Netflix kinda has a one trick pony of a series going on. I'm not nearly as excited for future Marvel shows as I was for Cage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dahbadu posted:

Does it get more interesting? We watched 3 episodes last night and were pretty bored. I almost fell asleep.

The most interesting scene was when the white tweaker guy takes off his sunglasses to look into Cottonmouth's eyes. Dude's eyes were creepy black and it made him kinda menacing. But then there's a flashback scene with Pops, and it's revealed that white dude is just some random punk kid -- so there goes the only character where I slightly felt like he posed a threat.

So far, any scene that Luke Cage is in I feel no suspense. He doesn't seem vulnerable or flawed, nothing seems like an actual threat to him, and it's pretty boring.

I've found both seasons of Daredevil to be outstanding. I thought Jessica Jones was good, but it had pacing problems. My barometer for what makes a good show is the feeling after an episode ends, where you're like "holy poo poo I have to watch the next episode, I can't wait to see what happens!"

White dude isn't in the pops flashbacks, that is the father of Chico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_AQFnqMY3E

Started watching it yesterday, then binged on it today.

I enjoyed it, tone was good, dialogue enjoyable, casting excellent.

Yes it suffers in placescand I didn't get drawn in as strongly as I did with JJ or DD, however I found the antagonists to be far more compelling.

Cottonmouth was characteristically visceral in his violent outbursts - when Fisk in DD gave into his rage he was a goddamn animal, but when Cottonmouth let lose I felt it always served his agenda up until 1x05 he shot Scarfe.

Shades was excellent. When he showed up I thought him to be some comic douche canoe but good god, 1x12 I loving cheered when he got that gun, sure goddamn he's an utterly reprehensible human being but there is something enjoyable about a henchman who has brushed up on the Evil Overlord list.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2016