Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I had a checkup on my car during an oil change at my mechanic. Afterwards, I couldn't open the trunk - not with the remote, not with the interior lever. I brought it to his attention; he asked me to bring the car back to check it out.

As it turns out, there is a button in my glove box that disables the trunk access. It is not an inconspicuous button. I've had the car since 2005.

He told me about the button with a straight face. Props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Don't think I ever encountered this, most cars just locked the trunk automatically when driving. The miata doesn't do anything.

I almost got t-boned at T-shape intersection the other day. We both had red and as my light turned green and I took off to turn left onto the larger road, the guy coming from my left also started to accelerate, aiming straight for my door.

Since he was (slowly) accelerating from the stop, there was no real danger, but still an unpleasant WTF moment as for a second I wondered if I hosed up and started on red. As I went past and around him, his light was clearly red. What probably happened is that his right turn signal went green and he took off automatically. Happens surprisingly often, though mostly people catch themselves before getting to the middle of the intersection.2

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Had a good one yesterday.

There's two turn left turn lanes. I'm in the left lane with one car in front of me, and there's nobody in the right lane. The light turns green, we both start to move forward. Immediately, they start to drift to the outside of the turn, and by the time we're past the turn and onto the road, they're half in each of the two lanes doing 15 under the speed limit. I give 'em a little beep on the horn, thinking they were looking at their phone or something stupid. Just trying to get them to look up and realize they were being dumb. Doesnt work. I give them a solid 1-2 second honk. Nothing. I lay on the horn, and after about 5 seconds, they finally get over, still doing 15 under. As I passed them, the woman literally leaned out of her window to yell at me.

What the gently caress man.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Don't think I ever encountered this, most cars just locked the trunk automatically when driving. The miata doesn't do anything.

It's so that when you give the car to valet parking, you can keep the valet from poking around in the trunk and stealing your solid-gold jumper cables or whatever.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

quote:

A woman was arrested Monday morning after a brief pursuit with the Washington State Patrol through west Olympia.

A state trooper had tried to pull over the vehicle for speeding on Interstate 5, but the driver fled the scene, according to Trooper Todd Bartolac.

During the pursuit, the driver dialed 911 and said she refused to pull over because she was late for a psychological evaluation. She wanted the state trooper to just mail her the ticket, Bartolac said.

He said her vehicle’s speeds “never exceeded 60 mph” during the pursuit.

The woman was stopped near Capital Mall Drive and Cooper Point Road shortly before 9 a.m. Bartolac said she was taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, cleared for release, then booked into Thurston County Jail on one count of eluding law enforcement.

Troopers had to use force during the arrest, and the woman slipped out of handcuffs at one point, Bartolac said. No other injuries were reported.

Source

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder if she's a sovcit as well.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Got to love it when someone pulls out in front of you from a dead stop onto a 70mph dual carriageway and doesn't put their foot down.

Or when you're in the middle lane of a motorway overtaking a steady stream of 56mph traffic to the left, and someone pulls out right in front of you and goes at 57mph.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iospace posted:

I wonder if she's a sovcit as well.

Calling 911 creates joinder, so probably not.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ludicro posted:

Or when you're in the middle lane of a motorway overtaking a steady stream of 56mph traffic to the left, and someone pulls out right in front of you and goes at 57mph.

Two lorries, side-by-side, slowing 70mph traffic down to 57mph?

I've started measuring how long those overtakes are and building a league table.

Currently top of the table is Goldstar Logistics who took over 4 miles to complete such an overtake.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

spog posted:

Two lorries, side-by-side, slowing 70mph traffic down to 57mph?

I've started measuring how long those overtakes are and building a league table.

Currently top of the table is Goldstar Logistics who took over 4 miles to complete such an overtake.

Two of my brothers are driving trucks now and I learned that some employers still have governors on their vehicles. One of my brothers drives a truck on a 70mph road for 3 hours and his governor is set to 66mph. And he gets chewed out for being 5 minutes late on arrival. So while some of those soow passers are legit stupid assholes, some are trying to avoid annoying conversations with their boss.

I still cuss at trucks who pull out at 66mph in a 65mph zone when I was going 80mph.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Aren't semis limited to something stupid like 55 in California? It's something close that that in any case, and it fucks traffic so badly with all the mountainous 4-lane roads.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Two of my brothers are driving trucks now and I learned that some employers still have governors on their vehicles. One of my brothers drives a truck on a 70mph road for 3 hours and his governor is set to 66mph. And he gets chewed out for being 5 minutes late on arrival. So while some of those soow passers are legit stupid assholes, some are trying to avoid annoying conversations with their boss.

I still cuss at trucks who pull out at 66mph in a 65mph zone when I was going 80mph.

My company's fleet of 2000+ trucks are limited to 61 mph, which is industry standard. This is supposed to maximize fuel efficiency. Unless you own your own truck or work for a small operation, it's going to be limited somewhere around there.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Here in the UK, an awful lot of trucks are limited to 56mph

Which would be fine, except some are limited to 56.0mph and some can get 56.1mph and they think it is acceptable to overtake the slower vehicle on a 2 lane carriageway, where I can legally do 70mph (and practically, 79mph)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I spent 15 minutes the other day doing 65 in an 80 watching dueling FedEx trucks because there is a God and he is vengeful

evilcat
May 16, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

Aren't semis limited to something stupid like 55 in California? It's something close that that in any case, and it fucks traffic so badly with all the mountainous 4-lane roads.

55 when towing for all vehicles, and I think even unloaded they get limited to 55. I've only once or twice actually seen one obeying the limit though, and once was on a twisting two lane back road with a 35 limit and a logging truck who kept slowing down on the straights and motioning the oblivious guy behind him to pass since the truck was having trouble with the corners and holding everyone up.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
45mph speed limit through interstate construction zones is OK, until the construction zone stretches 30 solid miles and has been that way since 2014.

Traffic usually flows around 70+ through there, until a State Trooper goes 55 in the far left lane and wants everyone else to stay behind him.

I figured this trooper was just getting from point A to point B and not really interested in being a traffic cop, I tried passing with the cruise set at 57 (just wanted to get out of the rolling roadblock with everyone tailgating each other) but immediately got flashing lights and a few blips of his siren as he pulled behind me.

Okay fine, I'll pull over.. except it's solid jersey barriers for a few miles, so I put my flashers on and dropped my speed to 42mph. The trooper's lights went off almost immediately, but now we're boxed in with a semi pacing us in the middle lane and I'm not speeding up. Speed limit is 45 after all, not trying to get hit for evading and eluding or some poo poo.

The shoulder opened up after a couple miles, I immediately pulled over but the Trooper sped off.

Whatever, man.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

FogHelmut posted:

My company's fleet of 2000+ trucks are limited to 61 mph, which is industry standard. This is supposed to maximize fuel efficiency. Unless you own your own truck or work for a small operation, it's going to be limited somewhere around there.

Yeah, it's probably 61mph.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Which would be fine, except some are limited to 56.0mph and some can get 56.1mph and they think it is acceptable to overtake the slower vehicle on a 2 lane carriageway, where I can legally do 70mph (and practically, 79mph)
If you think we're annoyed about it, I bet the truckers are going nuts. They're allowed to do 60 now!

Oh, and Scotland has kept a lower artic limit on single/dual carriageway non-motorway roads (40 and 50mph respectively) for some reason. Wonder how many people they catch out with that one.

Content:

http://imgur.com/jZvpbwY.gifv

gently caress YES, YOU loving THROBBER.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 30, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

evilcat posted:

55 when towing for all vehicles, and I think even unloaded they get limited to 55. I've only once or twice actually seen one obeying the limit though, and once was on a twisting two lane back road with a 35 limit and a logging truck who kept slowing down on the straights and motioning the oblivious guy behind him to pass since the truck was having trouble with the corners and holding everyone up.

I was only in the area for about a week, but I got stuck behind guys following that speed limit a handful of times up in the mountains. After being in the middle of nowhere and having a speed limit of 80 most of that time, it was incredibly frustrating. There were other semis who would speed of course, but I sure do remember each one that didn't.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NoWake posted:

45mph speed limit through interstate construction zones is OK, until the construction zone stretches 30 solid miles and has been that way since 2014.

Traffic usually flows around 70+ through there, until a State Trooper goes 55 in the far left lane and wants everyone else to stay behind him.

I figured this trooper was just getting from point A to point B and not really interested in being a traffic cop, I tried passing with the cruise set at 57 (just wanted to get out of the rolling roadblock with everyone tailgating each other) but immediately got flashing lights and a few blips of his siren as he pulled behind me.

Okay fine, I'll pull over.. except it's solid jersey barriers for a few miles, so I put my flashers on and dropped my speed to 42mph. The trooper's lights went off almost immediately, but now we're boxed in with a semi pacing us in the middle lane and I'm not speeding up. Speed limit is 45 after all, not trying to get hit for evading and eluding or some poo poo.

The shoulder opened up after a couple miles, I immediately pulled over but the Trooper sped off.

Whatever, man.

So you tried to pass a cop doing more than the standard 10 over, in a construction zone, and are annoyed that he didn't do anything beyond reminding you not to push your luck?

I mean 45 in a construction zone seems oddly low, it's 55 most everywhere I drive, but it sounds like he was willing to let everyone do 55 anyways.

I'm a habitual speeder, given the opportunity you'll rarely see me under 80 on the highway, but I wouldn't do what you did.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wolrah posted:

I'm a habitual speeder, given the opportunity you'll rarely see me under 80 on the highway, but I wouldn't do what you did.
Yeah.

You bet on the cop not giving a poo poo. You were wrong, but he only gave enough of a poo poo to tell you he did.

That's not a bad result, really.

One day, Im sure I'll get popped for overshooting a 60/30 downchange, and it'll be annoying, but compared to the poo poo I've not been caught doing, I'll take my medicine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

InitialDave posted:

If you think we're annoyed about it, I bet the truckers are going nuts. They're allowed to do 60 now!

Oh, and Scotland has kept a lower artic limit on single/dual carriageway non-motorway roads (40 and 50mph respectively) for some reason. Wonder how many people they catch out with that one.

Content:

http://imgur.com/jZvpbwY.gifv

gently caress YES, YOU loving THROBBER.

This is great.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is great.

Take his bike away and throw it in the canal.

(I'm assuming there's a canal somewhere the other side of those bushes, it looks like a canal zone.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

Isn't a tenth of a mile an hour going to be within the range of error introduced by new tires versus fully worn tires?

InitialDave posted:

Yeah.

You bet on the cop not giving a poo poo. You were wrong, but he only gave enough of a poo poo to tell you he did.

That's not a bad result, really.

Yup, that's about as good as it gets. Years ago I was driving on a then-brand-new bit of freeway with super light traffic and everyone was doing in the ballpark of 85-90, in a 65. DPS officer flew up, hit the lights and booped the siren a few times until everyone slowed down, then hauled rear end out of there again. That's about the last thing I'd ever think of whining about a cop doing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't a tenth of a mile an hour going to be within the range of error introduced by new tires versus fully worn tires?

Well, I was being somewhat facetious, but the limited trucks seem to all be in the range 54.0 - 56.5mph (after extensive observation. Very extensive)

I'd assumed it was down to different ssytems, but I guess tyre wear could account for it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is great.

I can never get those bloody things to embed properly.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, that's about as good as it gets. Years ago I was driving on a then-brand-new bit of freeway with super light traffic and everyone was doing in the ballpark of 85-90, in a 65. DPS officer flew up, hit the lights and booped the siren a few times until everyone slowed down, then hauled rear end out of there again. That's about the last thing I'd ever think of whining about a cop doing.
Exactly.

Many of us have been fortunate (or middle class and white) enough to have had the "well, you're a silly boy, aren't you?" conversation in place of a court case. Take it when you can get it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

InitialDave posted:

One day, Im sure I'll get popped for overshooting a 60/30 downchange, and it'll be annoying, but compared to the poo poo I've not been caught doing, I'll take my medicine.

My general thought as well. I've been driving for nearly 15 years and in that time have received roughly one ticket every two years on average. Every one of them has been deserved, never for less than 20 MPH over. I've never fought a ticket for that reason, I know the risks and they caught me fair and square. With the hundreds of times I got away with it I have nothing to complain about.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

spog posted:

Well, I was being somewhat facetious, but the limited trucks seem to all be in the range 54.0 - 56.5mph (after extensive observation. Very extensive)

I'd assumed it was down to different ssytems, but I guess tyre wear could account for it.

From what I've gathered from company mechanics (whose competence I would not bet on but they know more than me) it's not as simple as setting a number to "56.000" in a config app somewhere, and is very easy to over or undershoot and send out a truck that can't break 25 mph on flat ground. So, if they ONLY vary +/- 1 mph, that's a good day.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wolrah posted:

My general thought as well. I've been driving for nearly 15 years and in that time have received roughly one ticket every two years on average. Every one of them has been deserved, never for less than 20 MPH over. I've never fought a ticket for that reason, I know the risks and they caught me fair and square. With the hundreds of times I got away with it I have nothing to complain about.

These are the goons we share the road with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My last ticket was about eight years ago for a 77 in a 55. My average highway speed is around 104MPH (because VTEC engages at about 106MPH in 6th gear on the VFR)

It's not really a dice roll, there's almost no enforcement here.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I got a ticket in 2007 for 11 over, and one in 2009 for 2 over. That's...it.

Don't drive like a dumbass. I mean, any more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what even ARE you posted:

I got a ticket in 2007 for 11 over, and one in 2009 for 2 over. That's...it.

Don't drive like a dumbass. I mean, any more.

Back in my day you used to get away with it. my first truck spent most of it's life against the 160kph governer. The only 2 speeding tickets i got were within the span of a month, one was bullshit radaring right at the 50 sign coming from 100 and got picked out of a line of traffic at 74kph. The second one i deserved slowing down from 160, radared at 131 and ticketed for 120.

Since then i smartened up stopped getting caught, despite being really deserving a time or two. I've only even gotten 1 photo radar ticket in the last 10 years, even with it popping up everywhere and having much lower limits, although i imagine having a trailer covered in mud/snow probably saved me quite a few

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

My last ticket was about eight years ago for a 77 in a 55. My average highway speed is around 104MPH (because VTEC engages at about 106MPH in 6th gear on the VFR)

It's not really a dice roll, there's almost no enforcement here.

I got pulled over for doing 130 in the rain (on my CBR F3) on an exit ramp by a VA state trooper in our Capital. I thought for sure I was going to jail.
Instead, it was probably the only time I DIDN'T get a ticket. The cop just got out of his car, walked up in his plastic bagged statey hat, and said "YOU CAN'T RIDE LIKE THAT HERE!"
Then, he got back in his car and drove off.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I don't think I've ever gotten 'lucky' with the cops when it comes to enforcement, so I tend to drive very conservatively now.

My last ticket caught me completely off guard and sort of ticked me off... Driving on 89A north of the Grand Canyon, which is pretty loving far away from anything resembling civilization, early in the morning on a weekday, early enough in the spring that all of the entrances to the park itself were still closed from the winter, and drat near no traffic at all. The road is posted 40mph, but at the point I was at it's wide and very well maintained and I could easily have gone 75 without really pushing super hard, yet I was still just cruising along fairly easy and enjoying the beautiful day. Come around a curve and there's a DPS guy in his Ford SUV coming towards me. Don't really think much of it, but a few minutes later I see the lights in the mirror, so I find a nice wide spot and pull over and wait. Got a long condescending lecture about the dangers of speeding, how I could have easily gone off the road on a corner and not been found for days/weeks, or hit a deer, etc.. then got a ticket for 50 in a 40. I never once was anything but polite, was completely off the road with the engine off before he pulled behind me, and I'm an older white guy. :argh:

The ticket itself didn't tick me off so much as it annoyed me, as technically I was speeding, so whatever, even if the speed was completely reasonable in the conditions IMO. It was the condescending lecture that really pissed me off. Not sure why cops feel the need to do that, just write me the loving ticket and let us both get on with our lives.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I once tried to pass an Ohio state highway patrolman while doing 9 over the limit...he let me go until there was a rest stop in sight and then pulled me over and gave me a warning. OSHP has a reputation of "if you get pulled over you're getting a ticket" so it was kind of shocking to be let off.

Personally haven't had a ticket in 8 years and counting, last one was for a right on red at a no right on red intersection. Keeping it under 10 over the limit, religiously using cruise control and not parking in the left lane has served me well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cruise Control is my savior on the highway. Out here where the speed limit is 75, I just set it at 80 and cruise.

California can suck my dick though with their 40 mile long construction zones and 55mph limit for trucks when I am going 75 (in the 70).

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

quote:

I've driven [on the motorway] at 30 (in the left-hand lane, obvs) when low on petrol and the next services were a zillion miles away. It's got to be preferable to stuttering to a halt while zooming along at 70. The big trucks are only doing about 40 anyway, aren't they?

quote:

Are you sitting in the first lane of the Motorway hoping that folk coming of the motorway slip road will be going faster than you?

Stay in the second lane around joining junctions!

It's rally scary to try and join a motorway so the areas where cars join should be free of others cars

It would not be that hard to pull into the second for 3 mins and let joiners join without playing traffic Russian roulette

quote:

And havng been a passenger , and not a driver I've grabbed the dashboard on numerous occassions coming down to join and there is a big lorry at the junctions or a car doing over 70mph which you can not match from a sliproad?

quote:

Don't feel you can't be a driver if you're nervous. I've been driving for 25 years and hate anything other than the local journeys I'm very familiar with. I hardly ever drive on motorways and when I do I'm consumed with fear. I have no sense of direction which doesn't help and panic like mad in strange situations.

quote:

I [hog the middle lane] sometimes too. Not so much laziness, but lane changing is one of the most dangerous parts of motorway driving, so if you are actually driving at the speed limit in the middle lane, then I can't really see the problem. (Anyone overtaking you is technically breaking the law, but I've kindly left them a whole lane in which to do that). When you go into the left hand lane, you need to move back into the middle whenever you come across a slower vehicle, or when you meet a junction to let other cars into the lefthand lane. It's a lot of moving around!

quote:

My FIL used to get told off by MIL to get out of the nearside lane as that is for the "old banger type cars" not cars like hers "the Mercedes" which she was travelling in.

Ha ha I think she thought the lanes were a reflection of type/status of car you were travelling in.

quote:

I am a middle lane driver.

I do not like going faster than the speed limit. But neither do I like being on the left, as that is where people " feed into" coming onto the mtorway at hugely varying speeds, and you constantly have to calculate how not to collide with cars coming onto the motorway ( slow down or speed up).

I leave the fast lane for boy racers, audi's and the emergency services.

quote:

I use the middle lane if I am doing the speed limit.

Why would anyone need me to move if they are doing 70 as well?

I do not understand why people get so het up about it. If you are doing 50mph on the M1, get in the slow lane. If you are doing 70mph surely you are supposed to be in the middle lane?

quote:

becuse if 3 lanes
lane 1......slow and Turning off at next exit or there will be sliproad so people joining slowly
lane 2 ok
lane 3 very fast

quote:

at 70mph I'm not in anyone's way as I already have the right of way - as I'm actually already in the lane! I think your just looking for a reason to justify speeding!

quote:

i don't want to stay left. Its where people leave/ join the motorway (where the majority of accidents occur) and its where lorries are slowly making their way along. I don't want to be in an accident with a lorry so I'll avoid them.

not ashamed to hog the middle lane

quote:

I'm a middle-lane hogger, far worse than yourself. But I like to save petrol and I'm not going to be speeding up and slowing down by dodging and out of lanes and traffic all the time. Bugger that!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Several of my brain cells suicided while reading those quotes. Thanks for sharing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

spog posted:

There are different speed limiter systems. One limits by transmission and gear ratio, doing the math so if the tire has 1/2 inch of tread it goes 70. Engine RPMs don't matter. Another system limits the RPMs in top gear. In that truck I can go 72.

By the way everyone, FMCSA wants to require speed limiters on all trucks nationwide. Please contact your Congress critters to stop this or elephant races will get even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was booting it at 120 km/h through a national park a couple weeks ago, where the limit is 90 and the Mounties hold sway. Oncoming car starts flashing its highbeams at me in the universally understood "cops ahead, slow the gently caress down buddy" manner. So I drop to 95, car stops flashing, and as we get closer, I realize it's got a lightbar... and RCMP decals on the side as we pass...