Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oldbag was at her best in 1-3 and should have only made one reappearance. :colbert:

Maple Leaf posted:

You know who I'd like a follow-up on? Ron DeLite aka Mask☆DeMasque. I wonder what delightful shenanigans he and his hot biker wife have gotten up to.

They show up as a background cameo in AAI2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
1-3 is a really underrated case in general. The first game really did its case 3 best (discounting 6 since its structure is entirely different).

One thing I've noticed is that there are way less chances to give joke options in the later games. There are a good handful in 6, but there's never anything like Phoenix accusing an eight year old of killing the Steel Samurai.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the best case 3 is in AAI2, imho

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Momomo posted:

1-3 is a really underrated case in general. The first game really did its case 3 best

umm, it's three days long

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Momomo posted:

1-3 is a really underrated case in general. The first game really did its case 3 best (discounting 6 since its structure is entirely different).

One thing I've noticed is that there are way less chances to give joke options in the later games. There are a good handful in 6, but there's never anything like Phoenix accusing an eight year old of killing the Steel Samurai.

"But you and Mr. White are lovers, aren't you!"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Wait, is the only DLC we get in this game Larry Butz?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Momomo posted:

There are less jokes in general. I don't know if it's because Shu Takumi was a funnier guy or the old localizers just crammed jokes in everywhere they could, but Investigations, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice all seem like the humor is more situational or character-based and there are less outright jokes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It might just be me, but it feels like the Judge isn't even a character anymore. I swear he used to butt in a lot more in the earlier games.

It also feels like there's a shortage of funny multiple choice questions...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sea Sponge Run posted:

It might just be me, but it feels like the Judge isn't even a character anymore. I swear he used to butt in a lot more in the earlier games.

It also feels like there's a shortage of funny multiple choice questions...

There aren't as many, but there are still a few that are pretty great. Wasn't there one in 6-2 where you could accuse the real Mr. Reus and Trucy of being in love?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

6-2 What was Bonny's mistake? "Her life choices"

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

Wait, is the only DLC we get in this game Larry Butz?

Yeah, it just adds him in to each of the five cases. Seamless, really; you can barely see the joins.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC

I'm tired of this bride now. Her gimmick is lovely and she's very annoying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DLC was fine, better than 6-4 at least. Nothing too notable about it other than it's nakedly an attempt to have the old gang back together for a "classic" AA-styled case.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

That's unsubstantiated.

He's clearly gay.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dongicus posted:

He's clearly gay.

He doesn't show an interest in men though, unless you're talking about Wright, but I never got the impression that their relationship was romantic

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
It's possible he's not interested in anybody.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Actually he has an extreme interest in the Steel Samurai.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Gruckles posted:

Actually he has an extreme interest in the Steel Samurai.

That is a love he can enjoy from afar~

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

One of the best parts of this game was Edgey getting upset at the bootleg Steel Samurai :allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Geniasis posted:

He doesn't show an interest in men though, unless you're talking about Wright, but I never got the impression that their relationship was romantic

It's definitely not, especially when you take the DLC into consideration where Phoenix pokes fun at Edgeworth for being single. Not that Nick isn't, but when has not having a leg to stand on ever stopped him?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the DLC was average overall, like most people seem to feel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
At the end of the day, I think I'd say T&T > SoJ > AA > DD > JFA > AJ.

Case-wise for SoJ, I think: Case 5, Part II > Case 2 > Case 5, Part I > Case 4 > Case 3 > Case 1

I wouldn't say this game had any bad cases, though.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Zaa Boogie posted:

It's possible he's not interested in anybody.
Relationships are best left to fanfiction. That way, everyone can have theirs.

I rewatched bits and pieces of AAI2 in the interim before the DLC, so I was probably cringing more than most. I would really prefer if they course corrected to the more emotionally intelligent Edgeworth from AAI2 than that mildly autistic trope from the DLC, although I don't have high hopes on this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DLC Ahahaha he actually wrote Franzy's Whip-Lash Splash

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
This game fuckin rules

I changed Phoenix's costume to the cool 90s silk tiger shirt while loving around in the options, then completely forgot I'd done that until he suddenly showed up in case 5, defending the villain of the case

it is the finest attire possible for Heel Turn Phoenix

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
One bit of time travel from the DLC case that I don't think anyone has pointed out:

The victim is killed by getting hit over the head with a clock.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC

I'm glad the final thought path thing in the case ultimately resulted in THE MURDER WEAPON WAS THE MURDER WEAPON and it then went on to elaborate in a way that was not especially something the player would know in true ace attorney fashion

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Just finished 6-DLC and it's pretty loving retarded. Maybe it's the fact that case quality in SoJ is so high, but

I can guarantee everybody knew who the murderer was. Every other case at least gave us a red herring or something. But lol if you didn't know Pierce did it from the beginning. Double lol if you didn't suspect him when everyone was accusing Sorin. I love Ace Attorney but sorry Pierce is just way too retarded a culprit who didn't offer the slightest ruse along the way.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 2, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DLC

I'm glad the final thought path thing in the case ultimately resulted in THE MURDER WEAPON WAS THE MURDER WEAPON and it then went on to elaborate in a way that was not especially something the player would know in true ace attorney fashion

It really weird because right before that they discuss when and where the murder happened and Phoenix just says it happend during the second reception because that was the only time that Pierce was alone and you just have to present te photo point to the fog machine to prove that when I think the final thought path stuff would have been much better happening there and you would just show the pendant as a final evidence later.

Like "THE MURDER HAPPENED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SECOND RECEPTION" is much better than "the time keeper has a clue or something" in terms of oh poo poo revelations I think

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DLC
I straight up never thought once that the Time Keeper would have some sort of glass panel on top of it with a display for figures out whatever. When they said opened, I thought they meant like a vault/safe for treasured belongings. I mean, it does make sense that the display thing is there, but I don't think the game telegraphs what it actually is well. Hell, I thought the wound was done with the pointed end with the propeller, which I assume is the clock's hands.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

AlphaKretin posted:

6-2 What was Bonny's mistake? "Her life choices"

I actually really like Apollo's response when you pick this: I should never judge anyone like that, and I'm sure she's a good magician. Good luck Bonny!

What a sweetheart!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DLC
It's hosed up that Phoenix doesn't take his daughter to the wedding at the end.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So I just replayed AA2 (well, case 4), and I forget, does the "Nick" Shelley calling card Franziska took actually come up when she returns in T&T? I don't remember it doing so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It never comes up again.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It never comes up again.

Just wait for AA7. I believe.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

I actually really like Apollo's response when you pick this: I should never judge anyone like that, and I'm sure she's a good magician. Good luck Bonny!

What a sweetheart!
Apollo is a nice guy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I finished the game yesterday, Case 5 was amazing. (Whole game spoilers) Funnily enough, what happened in Case 5 was sort of what I thought was going to be the twist in Case 3. I thought maybe that Tahrust had been killed, then Maya (or someone) channelled him and he killed the monk. Basically I think I've been playing too much Ace Attorney, and am coming up with my own crazy twists half way through.

I loved the game overall, the cases were all a lot of fun, including 6-4, which seems to be getting a lot of flak for some reason. The characters were all great, and the setting of Khura'in is interesting. I kind of hated the Divination Seance at first, but I think once I got the hang of it a bit better I grew to like it a little more. I really didn't like any of the Apollo bracelet segments though.

I hope they keep making (and localising) these games because they're so good. While playing AA6, I realised that i never played the last case (or the DLC) of AA5, and really I probably need to replay the whole game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Based on the way 2-2 originally went I don't think they'll ever do a someone channeling the culprit/murderer because Ace Attorney logic seems to dictate that the channeler would still be found guilty.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Another issue I have with the DLC case

Edgeworth seems inconsistently written at best. The whole trial he's rushing to get a verdict, even when there are questions unanswered, but then at the end Pierce is being a lovely villain so they were able to fumble in Edgeworth blabbering about the truth. He just feels like a weird midpoint between the first and second game.

If this case were in like, say, Apollo Justice, it would be great, but Spirit of Justice was so consistently good that it's jarring how bad it is. Also it's really short and doesn't have any kind of emotional impact that the last DLC case did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I haven't finished it yet but the DLC case in this game is just reminding me how loving great the DLC case was in the last game